--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
FT-Sprite: 2013-01-05 05:40:16 pm
Youtube Partner
Now, this is probably something uncommon here, but I unfortunately had to end a run I had going on for my NTSC 0-02 copy of Metroid Prime after I ended up getting stuck in a specific area.

This guide isn't necessarily a Speed running guide to the fullest extent, however it is an aid to those who are trying to do THIS SPECIFIC COPY of Metroid Prime, and sort of a... log of things I found during my long run of the game. It will go over what I did during my own run, and what order I ddi things in. Take note that my run was a maximum expansion run, which ended my run early due to some.. unforeseen circumstances.

For those who do not know, Metroid Prime 1 has 3 incarnations. NTSC 0-00, the original copy, PAL 0-01, the first patch to the game, and then NTSC 0-02, the E3/Player's Choice copy, final edition (outside of Trilogy). The difference between them is 0-00 is the copy used by all Speedrunners due to have ALL the glitches and skips being in the game and being able to do. 0-01 patched a few exploits, and 0-02 gets rid of many, if not almost all exploits.

Now, for the guide itself.

Playing through the game, I was merely practicing certain tricks and seeing when and where you can sequence break. This is why I used up around 15 hours of the game, compared to the usual 9 a standard playthrough would get. I found a bunch of tricks that still do work, but are rather difficult to pull off.

Unfortunately, in PAL and NTSC 0-02, the Scan-Dash was removed, so doing Space Jump Boots first is actually overly tough/near impossible to do in these copies. It is not worth the time to get it, I merely played the game straight through until you get the Wave Beam, Boost Ball, and Space Jump Boots. This is when the Sequence Breaking REALLY begins.

Once you get the Wave Beam, you can go in multiple directions. You can get Ice Beam early, Wavebuster Early, and a bunch of different sequence breaks done up. However, the path that I did was Wavebuster Early. This enables you to get two items in a single shot; given that you have enough missiles. By the point that I had been going for the Wave Buster, I had around 4 tanks of energy, and 80 missiles, which it plenty enough.

-RUINED SHRINE: Early Wavebuster
So, given you follow my pathing, you'll want to head out to where you got your Morph Ball; the Ruined Shrine. The trick here is the exact same as that in the NTSC 0-00 method; jumping onto what looks like a light.

It took me a few tries to land on it due to some... failure of distance calculations, but once you're in, you're golden. Now, you'll be heading into the Light Shrine. Proceed normally to the top to grab your Wavebuster, no tricks here yet.

-TOWER OF LIGHT: Early/No Gravity Suit Artifact (Lifegiver)
Now, here is where you can hit two birds with one stone; simply jump off of where you got your Wavebuster and sink into the water. Proceed normally to where the wall is to the door for the Artifact room. Now, you'll be (excuse the poor joke) waterlogged and can't jump up there normally. This is where a ghetto jump is requried to get up into the room.
http://www.metroid2002.com/without_gravity_artifact_of_lifegiver.mp4 (You will need to download the video unless you have Quicktime installed.) This jump was infuriating to me, but once you get the angle correct, you'll be up and grabbing that Artifact in no time.

-FURNACE: Spiderball Skip + Early Ice Beam
If you've already gone around here, remember the Energy Core? Head into thehre and if you already haven't, get the Bomb puzzle done, and head to the Furnace. There are two things to be done here. First is a Spiderball Track, and the second is a Morph Ball tunnel. On the other side of the tunnel is an Energy Tank. I grabbed it earlier on so I could just do my Spider Rail Grinding. Now, this will take a bit of time and some practice, so be patient. Using the spiderball track, press against it and go to the left side. Turn toward the right very slowly until you see Samus "clipping" the rail, and grinding up it. THIS IS A PIN-POINT TACTIC, ONLY SPEFICI PIXELS WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO THIS. Once you find the right pixel, you hold Up and she'll slowly grind up the rail. After about 2-3 seconds, it should be safe to Space jump up to the top. Go into Morph Ball mode, and zoom through it. Careful: There are disintegrating Sandstone blocks that will drop you down below to the other Morph Ball area, you have to time your Bomb to get over the wall and continue on. (The Boost Ball IS required to progress.)
-HALL OF THE ELDERS: Early Ice Beam
Now, once you're through with the Furnace, go right into a Morph Ball tunnel and follow it through to until you get to the Hall of the Elders. Once there, you'll face a Chozo Ghost. Simply kill it, or you'll have a bad time.
Now, once you're in (follow the video above), and have killed the Chozo Ghost, go ahead and get on the third platform, the same one that has the Morph Ball Bomb slots. Looking around, you'll see these "light fixtures", one of which is right across from the third platform. Using your L-Lock, aim down and Space Jump over to the pole jetting from it. This next jump will take time and patience, but it's easier than doing the 27/21% run Bomb Jumping. Make sure you're in the center-ish area of the pole jetting out from the light fixture. Space Jump your way up to the platform to your top left, and use your Morph Ball Bomb to activate the Beam Activate Bomb slots. Go over, unlock the Wave Slot, and continue forward. From here, it becomes straight forward to get the Ice Beam.

-PHENDRANA'S EDGE: Early Power Bombs
Honestly, this one is the exact same as any other run, except I took a longer, alternate pathing to get to the Edge. I used the Tallon Overworld elevator to get to the Magmoor Caverns Workstation, and from there to the Phendrana Drifts. Behind the elevator you took to the Drifts, there is a Spiderball track, and a rock in front of it. Jump on the rock, bu be careful. There is a very small window to get on and stay on the rock's peak. Once on, turn around and make a pin-point jump onto one of the two closest antennae, then Space Jump onto the top of the tracks. Continue on to the Edge of Phendrana.
Now, once you're at Phendrana's Edge, you'll face two Flying Pirates. Simple eliminate them in any way possible and go up to the broken bridge. Once there, follow the Grapple Beam skip for Edge to get up to the top where a Power Bomb expansion awaits you. The next Artifact is also here, but you cannot pick it up if you're playing NTSC 0-02. you will need to revisit this area later wit hthe Plasma Beam.
http://www.metroid2002.com/without_grapple_artifact_of_spirit_1.mp4
Alternatively, you can go with another route in which you go throug the whole Space Pirate Phendrana District, grab your Super Missles, and your Thermal Visor. Either my way or this way works.

-GREAT TREE HALL: Artifact + X-Ray Visor
If you used my pathing to get your Power Bombs, then simply follow the elevators back to the Chozo Ruins where you get your Ice Beam. This time, take the secondary elevator (The one that is behind the Save Station) and take it to Tallon Overworld, where you'll be in the second section fo the Great Tree Hall.
Once here, do not even both with the Bomb Jump over the gate, just like the SJB First, this trick is VERY tedious, and not worth your time. Now, once you take our the creates in this area, you'll have to head up to the top ledge where the second Bloodflower was. Using your L-Lock Space Jump, jump over onto the bridge with the Spider Ball Track. Reposition yourself against the left pole, L-Lock downward and Space Jump into the bridge fragment/top of the Right pillar. Once here, Reposition once more, this time facing toward the door to the room you're in, L-Lock downward, Space jump left and up-right to land on the ledge. Be patient, these series of jumps can be VERY difficult to pull off. Once up, open the door, Power Bomb the rocks, and go collect your Artifact and X-Ray Visor. http://www.metroid2002.com/without_spider_great_tree_hall.php

At this point, There are many ways you can go in the game. However, this is kind of the end of the sequence breaking. Because the NTSC 0-02 patch locked the door in the Plasma Processing, you cannot do Plasma Early without Spiderball and Grapple Beam. At this point, the run returns to normal and you can do what you wish. However, I will add in a few extra tips if you wish to completely skip Gravity Suit.

-SKIPPING GRAVITY SUIT: Phazon Mines
Now, we'll assume you want to skip the Gravity Suit. In order to get through the Phazon mines, you actually have to go through it BACKWARDS. This means, you'll have to use the Magmoor Workstation Phazon Mines elevator to get into the Mines. If you try to go through it the normal way you WILL FAIL. The water current in the Space Pirate Frigate will mess up your run, as it did mine and will ruin it. The Boost Ball trick does NOT work in NTSC 0-02.
In order to complete the Mines, you HAVE to go and defeat Thardus. Unfortunate, yes. But it is necessary. Once you defeat him, simply go to the afore mentioned elevator and proceed with the game.
When you enter the Mines, you'll be in the top of the Phazon Processing Center. Make your way down to the Ice Beam Door in the middle, and go upwards to grab your legit Power Bombs, and Grapple Beam. Collect and Power-ups  you wish to grab on the way too. A quick tip for the Power Bomb boss, the Cloaked Drone, is to use the Wavebuster as soon as that fight starts. This allows you to defeat the boss without use of Thermal or X-Ray visors because Wavebuster is auto-seeking. It WILL hit cloaked and non-cloaked units automatically.
After you get your Grapple, run through the Mines again and return to the Workstation. From there, you can complete the Geothermal Core, and grab your Plasma Beam. From there you can run around freely; personally I went and fought the Omega Pirate and had a decent fight vs him. The neat glitch happens here.
The way the Game is programmed is that as soon as the Pirate falls on you, he releases one of the Samus upgrade logos, like the ones you see for the Varia and Gravity suits. Because you skipped the Gravity suit, you're being crushed by the Phazon while in Varia, and the cutscene displays the Gravity Suit instead of the Phazon Suit. DO NOT WORRY, THIS IS NORMAL. After the Cutscene is over, you can enter your menu and you will have your Phazon Suit without the Gravity. As per such, you will NOT have the Gravity suit abilities.
At this point, I do not know what would happen if you got the Gravity suit while wearing the Phazon Suit. Someone else can experiment with that and post their discoveries if they wish.

The entire run I had before the Pirate Frigate screwed me over was 12:02:40. This was because of failed jumps and sequence breaking, plus A LOT of backtracking to do various things, and try different tricks. Many of the NTSC 0-00 tricks were taken out of the equation of this game's patch, so not many tricks are left in. Good luck to all Speedrunners out there who wish to try and do an any % run of this model, and I hope my guide helps.

P.S.: I know that NO ONE will use this copy of MP1 to do any Speedrunning because all runners deem is crap. I made this guide to simply help others set a record for this model, casual purposes fully intended. I would post my own run, but I need to work on my tricks here and plan out my path for the any % run. Perhaps some day I'll record that run and post it up here.

-Your faithful student,
Sprite.

~Jan. 5th, 2013 EDIT~
I just completed the original run without having it live (the live run was over when I got stuck). The MAXIMUM PERCENTAGE FOR NO GRAV RUN IS 92%. This includes having 13/14 Energy Tanks, 225 missiles, all Power Bomb Expansions, and Extra Beam Weapon add-ons (Flamethrower, Wavebuster, Ice Spreader).
Total Time: 11:17. THIS TIME WILL NOT BE MY FINAL TIME.
Thread title:  
Willing to teach you the impossible
Any info or guide like this is awesome. Serous speed runners use 0-00 simply because it is faster. But for the new people wanting to get into this, this is the easiest place to start as it is the most common copy to get. If the new runners want to go to the next level, they can look into finding a 0-00 copy (good luck by the way, it is not impossible just really hard and can take time).

What is the current best time for each category for this version?
Youtube Partner
Current best time? We have none, SDA does not have a category for this copy of the game, only NTSC 0-00, which in itself is why I made this guide to what I found in my run. I feel like we CAN still speedrun this game IF you plan out your run. Mine was not planned out, so that's why it took me so long. I think I could do an any % in MAYBE... 4 hours? I'm pushing myself at that point.

Also, nice Pikachu Zergling from Carbot. <3
Pikachu Zergling? What is that? I have a pikaling for an avatar. And I want a plushie.

4 hours for this? really? I was thinking the game could still be done in under 2 hours at least.
Youtube Partner
My 4 hours is an estimate for a rough gamer like myself. I'm sure if I could pull of SJB First, it'd be a lot shorter, but in this copy (as I've stated above) SJB First is like... Way too tough to even bother trying. That, and if I worked on getting my jumps right within the first three times, then I'd be golden.
During my stream, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the 12 hours run was me roaming about and screwing up jumps. ...I really need to plan my path out and make sure I know what items I'm going to get and not going to get. I hope I can do a Gravity-less run quickly.
Im sold. I am going to get a 0-02 copy and try everything out myself. I enjoy games that are less broken really, so this might really get me into the game.
Youtube Partner
Aiight, cool. I just got myself the SpeedRunsLive WSplit program and I'm mapping out my run. But now the hard part comes, when the crap will I be able to do it? D:
Splits are nice, but not needed. Just record a full run then we could figure it out from that.
Youtube Partner
Yes, I'd love to. Sadly, I tried doing that, and I messed up one jump and the run ended. (I was doing the Arboretum and I clipped a jump. >.<)
Hey guys, are there any updates for this? I always like a challenge, and i am going through practicing some tricks atm.

I am able to do SJF within the first few tries after landing, so that opened me up. i haven't decided if i am going to do a 100% run, or an any run.

Regardless, i am getting stuck on the early sun room after flag. So far, and i have only just started, after getting sjf, 50 missiles, ( and i waited to do hive mecha until i had ball and bomb), and 3 energy tanks. initially, i skipped doing early sun room, and i was able to get boost ball early, wave beam, and ice beam early. my "run" ended when i was trying to bomb jump over the gate in the life grove. i was able to do it eventually, but it's tempermental. so at this point, i am just running that much over and over again, and i think i am leaning more towards a 100% run.

Thoughts? i see this thread has been dead for over 3 years, so i thought i would revive it, as it seems that it's a rare "category" though, it is not an official one.
Youtube Partner
Unfortunately I haven't had the game in some time.
Also you managed SJF? How'd you manage that one? AFAIK, in 0-02, it isn't possible.
As for Sun Room, I wish I could help with that one.
If you wish to take over the thread and category, be my guest. I, unfortunately, won't be able to continue adding to it.
SJF is possible in 0-02, it's the same as the PAL method
After lots and lots of practice, i used the PAL method to hop up the ledges in front of Samus' ship, lock onto the seedling, back up and hop onto the right side of the ship, move to the left a little bit, and performed a combat dash onto the same ledge as you would with 0-00.

It took me a while, but now i can go right from the intro section, to landing and having that within the first 2-3 tries.

Right now, i only have a janky setup where i point my webcam at my TV, but i will see if i can get some footage tonight and post on youtube.