Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Metroid2.html

Metroid II: Return of Samus (100 %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A/V is fine, but for the final encode it would be best to cut the Gamecube intro and crop the video to cut out the borders.

Very solid run, which is impressive considering how clunky the controls in this game can feel while playing. The route is well thought out, and any time that can be shaved off of this is mainly through better luck.

Accept

Quote from UraniumAnchor:
A/V is good, although the verification copy doesn't have the GBP frame cropped out. Is nate getting lazy in his old age? Wink

Time seems to be from about 0:31 to 1:04:421:03:56, giving a time of 1:04:111:03:25, a little over fivealmost six minutes better than the very old SDA run (from 2004? I can smell the vintage from here!) I admit I'm not nearly as familiar with this game as I used to be but the route seemed well planned out, well executed, and RNG seemed to play nice for the most part. Movement seemed pretty optimized, for as simple as this game is it's got a surprising number of tricks you can do to get small boosts here and there. The previous submission had a few rough moments but this newer one has significantly fewer, and I had already basically accepted that one so I can't think of any reason this one isn't just that much better.

I had to go check GameFAQs to remind me where all the items were so I could count the pickups (I have to be thorough!) and couldn't help but laugh when I noticed that a certain "Radix37" (what happened to the other 36, Nolan?) contributed a very detailed map of the game, which was helpful.

Accept with flying colors. Except that it's a Game Boy game, so flying spinach green instead.

Quote from RedArremer:
Sorry for getting this so late, I was sick and flailing like an Omega Metroid.

Run looks good, accept.

Quote from __sdfg:
I noticed a serious problem with this run before I even got to where SDA timing starts:  the verification copy only includes one audio track, so we can't listen to the runner sing along with the overworld music.  I'm hoping this was just a mistake in the initial submission, because I'm not going to be happy with myself if I let this run go up without that problem being resolved.

The runner also made the highly questionable decision to credit me for contributing to the run in his comments, but I guess I can grudgingly allow that.

Lack of singing aside, the A/V on the verification copy is good.  I'm used to seeing this game streamed, so having a high-quality, full-framerate local copy is a treat.  The GameBoy Player border was not cropped, but I expect that to be just a verification copy thing, and I don't know how big a problem it would be if it isn't just a verification copy thing.  The runner collects all of the items necessary for 100% and I did not see any health or energy inconsistencies, nor any evidence of cheating.

Samus starts moving at frame 1885 and hits the floor of her ship at frame 229925, which gives a time of 1:03:24.  I was going to make a joke about rejecting because the in-game time isn't 1:00, but the in-game timer is so broken that I felt bad typing the joke and gave up.

The runner's movement outside of Metroid fights is fairly clean, probably the best I've seen.  I had a lot of fun watching the runner work in spider throws all over the place, even on little bounces.  There are a few noticeable slip-ups, but none of them are very costly, and I don't think they add up to too much.

The Metroid fights are not all great, but it's hard to say how much of that is the runner's fault because not all of the Metroids can be manipulated.  There are some fights in this run where the runner misses a shot or two and loses a few seconds because of it.  There are other fights that go kind of slowly because the Metroids don't cooperate.  The important thing from my perspective, though, is that the fights that do have semi-reliable strategies generally go well, and the others don't get out of hand.

I think sub-1:03 is attainable, but this is a welcome upgrade from the existing SDA run, and a good run on its own merits.  If the runner cuts 1:03 this week just to spite me for having typed that, though, I won't complain.

Accept.

Quote from theseawolf1:
“Dear Samus Aran,
We thank you for single-handedly eXposing a Space Pirate menace that we, the Galactic Federation, have been trying to pin down for the better part of 30 years. Our sensors span the galaXy, our scouts were ever vigilant, but the Mother Brain, a mere 3 km below the crust of Zebes, escaped our dutiful surveillance. The stolen Metroids were destroyed thankfully, but there is still a taXing problem. SR-388, a desolate cave planet of eXtremely harsh environment, is the original home of the Metroids. We in the GalaXy Federation believe the only appropriate reaction to this threat is an egregious overreaction. We contract you, Samus Aran, to eXterminate the entirety of the Metroid species. Your eXploration will be aided by this unique Metroid Tracker. Succeed at this eXtinction, and you pay will be eXaggerated. We are certain destroying this parasitic species will have eXactly no effect on the galaxy at large.
Sincerely,
Galactic Chair Xavier “Totally Not an X-Host” Xaxxenbrix”
METROID 2: RETURN OF BABBY
Audio/Visual: I’ll never get used to Hot Dog Stand Samus, or Ronald McSamus. You might say its pixelated, but it’s a freakin Game Boy game. GAME BOY! I PLAYED IT ON THE GREY BRICK MODEL! THE ONE A BIT OLDER THAN THAT HOOP AND STICK!
Cheating: I see no cheating here. (Note: Samus might punch me real hard for even thinking about this. This is post-Adam, she’s a loose cannon but a damn good cop)
Gameplay: Metroid runs amuck on a planet and extinguishes an entire species down to a single survivor. Somehow they become a touching tag team with multiple movies including Babby Blues, Not Without my Metroid, Rio Chozo and of course, the award-winning documentary, Spore Spawns in the Mist. Like all good Hollywood partnerships, it ends with drama, public spectacle, space dragons and a desperate cash-grab reboot.
The Run (now watching two runs side by side!):
The first alpha Metroid is in fact The Alpha Metroid (wasn’t ‘metroid’ the Chozo word for ‘ultimate warrior?”). What the heck are those flying things that circle around anyway? Alphas causing ruckus at 9:50, and refusing to RNG downward at 10. Good Arachnus fight catches up to the prior submission (Alpha jerks it up). Better execution creates a nice lead. Gamma 1 is still a jerk.  Avoids the silverfish in the tunnel this time.  TAS as F$#% backwards missile at 28:30 on a Gamma (not really, but the death freeze makes the effect).  Zetas are still real stupid. Omegas are also pretty dumb. The Queen is so happy when she eats you…she immediately regrets it, but you can’t hide those happy feet.

Verdict: Samus Aran is an ice cold bitch who kills off an entire species and plants explosives in the belly of a new mother. But at least she does it quickly and with excellent controls. Bravo, Samus.

ACCEPT!

Quote:
Sorry for getting to this late.

This is a solid run. Easy accept.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Marc J. 'Emptyeye' Dziezynski!
Thread title:  
Smörgåsbord
Congrats MTI! Splendid work! thumbsup
Is PJ
Congrats Emptyeye!
Professional Second Banana
Good stuff!  thumbsup
D:
Grats, man.

Give us a little time before submitting the next improvement, okay? Tongue  Actually, wait, don't do that. >_>
<(^_^)>
GG. Can this be part of the same SDA update as super and fusion?
Not a walrus
Fusion's already linked with WL4. That's quite a ball you're asking for. Wink
Good thing Samus is able to morph into a ball.

*runs*
Talk to the Hand
Woo, thanks everyone! Verification is always a little nerve-wracking. Good to know I'm not totally past my speedrunning prime. Wink

I think compared to a lot of the rest of the series, Metroid II is still in its speedrunning infancy, so to speak. It'd be great to get a community around this game going. In the meantime, I'll keep trying to drive the time down even further, and we'll see where it goes from there. Smiley
Not a walrus
Quote from Miles:
Good thing Samus is able to morph into a ball.

*runs*

Formerly known as Skullboy
Congrats Emptyeye! Glad to see this game getting some love.
You got a deletion wish?
You da man Emptyeye!
<(^_^)>
Quote from Emptyeye:
Woo, thanks everyone! Verification is always a little nerve-wracking. Good to know I'm not totally past my speedrunning prime. Wink

I think compared to a lot of the rest of the series, Metroid II is still in its speedrunning infancy, so to speak. It'd be great to get a community around this game going. In the meantime, I'll keep trying to drive the time down even further, and we'll see where it goes from there. Smiley

You also need to get the 100% definition changed :^)
Pudding%
Quote from kirbymastah:
Quote from Emptyeye:

You also need to get the 100% definition changed :^)

No, I think we're good there.
CONGRATS MTI!.

Also, yes we're changing the 100% definition you're wrong dragondarch.
Metroid 2 Ho!
Good job MTI! I'm still gunning for you :3 Keep dem skills up!