Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-04-15 11:43:07 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Metroid.html

Metroid (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Fliproid, report:

I will say that this is the most enjoyable Metroid run I've ever seen.  And I'm not exaggerating.  I can see how some people find the traveling in this game boring, but this is a great watch.  The Mother Brain fight is sexy as hell and the execution of the Tourian skip alone merits an ACCEPT. 

Quote from Dragondarch:
Game: Metroid
Category: Any%
Audio/Video: Looks great, except the very start which sounds like something a VHS tape would do.
Cheating: It wouldn't be a Metroid run without Beeping strats!

This run is extremely well-done. The runner knows what he's doing, what spawns to expect (most of the time), and most importantly he knows which enemies are the most worthwhile to kill for missile drops.
I only wish some of his pre-first E-Tank strats were usable in 100% (the damage boosts mostly), but alas I need to conserve energy due to the bugs in the Ice Beam hall, and having to take a mandatory 13 damage from a Geemer on the way down, and the block boost on the way back up.

Pros:
-Gold Shaft ascent after Missiles was something I hadn't thought of before. When he did it this way, I was thinking the spawns in the 2nd blue corridor would give him the bad pattern, but they did what they do in my runs. His way is definitely faster than the way I do it, but I can't afford that damage boost at the end.
-He didn't bounce at all during the descent to Kraid OR in Kraid's main shaft. Squeezing between everything like that is NOT easy, even for veteran players. One pixel too far right or left and you end up bouncing, wasting a bunch of time.
-The Kraid fight is a bit different than what I'm used to as well. I don't know if his strat would be faster for 100%, but it definitely works well for any%, and maybe even 2 boss any%.
-VERY NICE pillar climb.
-The Rio cooperated and flew into the room quickly, and he didn't need any setup time.
-Mother Brain's chamber I think is the highlight of the run, as that is a good way to do that room regardless of what category is done. I'ma have to practice that one. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether Hi-Jump's altered jumping arc will affect anything.
-I'd mention missile luck, but I think everyone knows that it was ungodly.

Cons:
-Not necessarily a con, but I have to wonder if the runner knows how the Rippers work for the blue shaft 1st ascent?
-A few small mishaps here and there, mostly getting hit when he probably didn't mean to.
-One decent improvement I can see is after exiting Kraid, in the corridor with the E-Tank in the ceiling. He loses time from the Geemer going to the right through the tunnel. This is easily prevented by making sure to kill the first 2 Skrees and collecting anything they drop BEFORE scrolling the screen to the right. If the screen scrolls at all, it screws up the spawns. If done correctly, the next 3 Skrees will spawn, causing the Geemer in the tunnel to despawn. Since he has an abundance of missiles at this point, there's no reason not to kill them. This would save a handful of seconds, and also generally leads to more favorable spawns in the blue shaft as well - mostly by not having so many enemies spawn in the same section, reducing lag a bit (every other set of platforms had 5 enemies present, which lags the game a lot.)
-I'm not sold on falling into the lava in Tourian to avoid jump slowdown. If done frame perfectly it would save time since there would be no momentum loss, but that's almost impossible to do in real time. This is mostly a nitpick since his Energy is a bit of a concern here.
-MISSED A JUMP DURING THE ESCAPE! REJECT REJECT REJECT! Tongue

All told, this is a very solid run with extreme luck as well. The only way I see this time coming down any significant amount is if the runner starts skipping Bombs (but not the E-Tank in the blue corridor), as that run takes quite some time to do. It would change which enemies he'd be able to kill for missiles, plus he'd have to screen wrap to get to Ice Beam and in to Kraid. He'd also have to do a harder version of the bridge skip (freeze the Rio under the left platform then quickmorph jump through it). I don't know exactly how much time skipping Bombs would save, but my gut's telling me sub 15 may be possible. Skipping Bombs would also remove one instance of missile luck, since he'd use his initial 5 missiles for Ice Beam, then head straight for Kraid.

Verdict: REJECT
Reason: Didn't use Suitless Samus. Seriously, who plays with the suit on?

(Serious verdict: ACCEPT, obviously)

(Also, this is Dragondarch if you hadn't guessed)

(More text in parentheses)

Quote:
That was the sickest run i ever saw.  Skipping ridley, jumping from airborne morph ball, luck drops, damage boost (beeping strats ftw).  Also didn't know you could kill Kraid that way.  This run was just amazing.  Audio and Video were fine throughout. 

I'd say ACCEPT this run.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Chris 'cak' Knight!
Thread title:  
Sea of Green
Congrats cak! Really excited to watch this Smiley
Is PJ
This is the best speed run in history.
Pudding%
Quote from PJ:

Not until he skips bombs Tongue
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Dragondarch:
Quote from PJ:

Not until he skips bombs morphball Tongue

Fixed.
twitch.tv/ccaakk
Nice comments all, especially Dragondarch.

Quote:
-One decent improvement I can see is after exiting Kraid, in the corridor with the E-Tank in the ceiling. He loses time from the Geemer going to the right through the tunnel. This is easily prevented by making sure to kill the first 2 Skrees and collecting anything they drop BEFORE scrolling the screen to the right. If the screen scrolls at all, it screws up the spawns. If done correctly, the next 3 Skrees will spawn, causing the Geemer in the tunnel to despawn. Since he has an abundance of missiles at this point, there's no reason not to kill them. This would save a handful of seconds, and also generally leads to more favorable spawns in the blue shaft as well - mostly by not having so many enemies spawn in the same section, reducing lag a bit (every other set of platforms had 5 enemies present, which lags the game a lot.)

Yeah actually I was trying to shoot the Geemer before it enters the tunnel (jprophet does this too...we probably both learned it from the TAS), but I think there's something in the game code that makes it impossible sometimes. You may or may not be right about the spawns in the next room...the spawning is different when the Geemer is actually killed (for instance, the Ripper halfway up the corridor where I stop for a second, normally isn't in the way like that...nothing to do with ascending the platforms too fast).

Quote:
-I'm not sold on falling into the lava in Tourian to avoid jump slowdown. If done frame perfectly it would save time since there would be no momentum loss, but that's almost impossible to do in real time. This is mostly a nitpick since his Energy is a bit of a concern here.

It saves probably 2-3 cpu frames per jump...not necessary at all, just fun to do.

Quote:

This made my day...thanks man.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Epic run. I hope you do audio commentary.
This run will be even butter once you skip Bomb. so far, that's only been done on TAS's.
twitch.tv/ccaakk
If someone else wants to do it that's fine, but honestly this will probably be my last Metroid speedrun.
Also, I did record commentary, hopefully will be up on youtube soon.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from cak:
If someone else wants to do it that's fine, but honestly this will probably be my last Metroid speedrun.
Also, I did record commentary, hopefully will be up on youtube soon.

Sweet!

As far as skipping bomb, I think jprophet22 might have some interest in doing it eventually. He has a lot of experience with the OoB stuff in Metroid, but man that would be such a grind to pull off since you still need luck even if you do all the tricks.
twitch.tv/ccaakk
That'd be great to see. I think the hardest thing (by far) about a bombless run would be the unmorph jump in the Tourian bridge room. Other than that, probably not much harder than the normal any%.
Not a walrus
Just to clarify, did you have a commentary track you wanted to send in for the publication?
twitch.tv/ccaakk
The commentary was intended for youtube, but I can upload it if you guys want. The only problem is the video's stat ID.
Not a walrus
Wouldn't be the first time a statid hasn't mentioned commentary, so it's up to you.
twitch.tv/ccaakk
I still need to listen to and edit it, so I'll get back to you in a few days.