--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MegaManNetworkTransmission.html

Mega Man Network Transmission (ntscus) (gcn) [100 %] [Single Segment] [Deaths]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Phillip 'ZELLLOOO' Shanklin!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Mega Man Network Transmission (ntscus) (gcn) [100 %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/MegaManNetworkTransmission-20210327/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Starting to watch this today. Might be a bit late for the deadline.
Edit history:
Worn_Traveler: 2021-04-09 09:23:46 am
Formerly known as Skullboy
A/V is good. No cheating detected.

This is a good starting run for the category. As the runner mentions, new things need to be found to help cut down the money grinding time. Also, there seems to be a good chunk of datasets/chips that are random drops, which is out of the runner's control. A segmented run might be able to do away with some of the back and forth on some of the chips. Anyways, things work out pretty well in this run even with errors. I'm sure a lower single segment time is possible but getting it is dependent on a lot of things that a runner may not be able to do much about.

Accept.
Looks like this uses death warps. Did the any% have those too BTW?

I wonder if some kind of spam strategy could make the Mole room any faster. Can you stand on the steps it pops out from? And spam three shots on the opposite side each time it's about to pop up?

A little bit of fight fatigue towards the end. Understandable. I don't know if I could ever focus for even this long.

So in the refights, you use only two M-Cannon shots on each boss that you use it against. But they always come back to the full eight. So why can't you use more of it? Something I'm missing?

Might I suggest adding a short glossary in your comments ("reg", PA, BMD etc.) and a short layman's explanation of what your goals are during the run and how they're accomplished? Like I'm not sure I understand why you have to "burn through" some of the chips before doing the Bass fight. And it wasn't clear to me initially that to assemble a PA, you have to ask for such a three-chip combination to be sent to you (and that's enough). I only later noticed the PA sign up top left. Just getting a few things fully explained up front would probably improve the viewing experience for some viewers.

So yeah, this has a mass of things to remember, a ton of execution throughout. It all goes pretty good by the sound and look of things. We're all proud of you to have stuck with it! Not a trivial category at all and not something we see everyday.

accept
Decision posted.
Thanks for accepting and I'll quickly reply to what I can here:

Quote from LotBlind:
Looks like this uses death warps. Did the any% have those too BTW?

Yes, Any% benefitted from the same death warp in Waterworks after the Giant Puffy fight.

Quote from LotBlind:
I wonder if some kind of spam strategy could make the Mole room any faster. Can you stand on the steps it pops out from? And spam three shots on the opposite side each time it's about to pop up?

The Moles can only take one hit per appearance, nothing gets around this (no multi-hit chips or even time stop attacks hit more than once).

Quote from LotBlind:
So in the refights, you use only two M-Cannon shots on each boss that you use it against. But they always come back to the full eight. So why can't you use more of it? Something I'm missing?

Two main reasons for this:

1. It's slightly faster to alternate charged buster and M-Cannon on most bosses due to the invincibility frames from the cannons, I can charge while I wait and get more DPS to allow faster kills.

2. I still need good ranks in the fights to acquire the Navi chips which means the less attacks I have to worry about then the better, more cannons would trigger more counterattacks and most are awkward or difficult to dodge.

Quote from LotBlind:
Might I suggest adding a short glossary in your comments ("reg", PA, BMD etc.) and a short layman's explanation of what your goals are during the run and how they're accomplished? Like I'm not sure I understand why you have to "burn through" some of the chips before doing the Bass fight. And it wasn't clear to me initially that to assemble a PA, you have to ask for such a three-chip combination to be sent to you (and that's enough). I only later noticed the PA sign up top left. Just getting a few things fully explained up front would probably improve the viewing experience for some viewers.

Will try and add some extra comments at some point but using up all copies of chips before Bass means I can no longer draw them and this forces the game to give me chips in my folder I still have inventory of, guaranteeing me what I need for PA assembly.
Moles: I meant what if you try to pre-empt them showing up by spamming some shots at potential spawn points. Or do you have to wait until they become vulnerable anyway?

M-Cannon: I see. The counterattacks...

Ah, I see about the chips then. Well, not really... it's quite complicated for the uninitiated.

Do you have limited lives? I was wondering if there wasn't anywhere where you could use more death warps to get to the start of some area faster to get more coins that way. Or does that not reset the coin pickups?
It's a thought to do Moles that way but the hitbox is smaller than expected (which is why I like the larger charge shots despite no damage increase) and it's too much of a risk to miss a shot when it speeds up since I don't want to farm for the 25% encounter again that late in a run, especially since I'll have already lost several minutes from letting Mole2 get away...

Lives are limited by the number of Backup Chips I collect but replenish between jack-ins. Unfortunately, coins do not respawn until you jack out so nothing I can do about that. :/

Will update comments with a very brief glossary to finish up.