Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
SDAVerification: 2013-10-30 08:11:58 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

MDK (Any %) (Single Segment) (Easy)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Romain 'Spocky' Picot!
Thread title:  
1-Up!
Run Information

MDK (Any %) (Single Segment) (Easy)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/mdk/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Oct. 24, 2013.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Edit history:
djcj: 2013-10-11 10:09:33 am
Here's the old segmented speedrun, in case someone needs it for comparison reasons:
https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/pc_game_runs_collected5.html#pc_game_runs_collected5

Video quality: fine, but the aspect ratio is wrong. The pixel resolution is 640x480 but the aspect ratio is set to 1.666, which is something between 16:9 and 16:10. If I manually set the AR to 4:3 everything looks fine. So in the final video the AR should be deactivated or set to 4:3. By the way I wonder if this game only runs on 30 fps or why wasn't it recorded at a higher framerate?

The run:
7:32 - A small mistake.
Quote:
In the shooting room, I rather prefer to loose some time and don't have to fall.

Okay, I see.
8:49 - Unfortunately he didn't perform the clipping glitch at this point. I assume that's too difficult for a SS?
12:xx - Too bad this fight included a mistake and he wasn't able to beat that guy in one take.
Level 4, James Bond theme and Earthworm Jim ^^
29:40 - A mistake, he jumped too late.
29:58 - Small mistake.
35:22 - Did he accidentially press escape?
Nice timesaver to free the dog at the end of the game. Overall it's looks pretty good. He used most of the glitches from the segmented run plus one new glitch, he didn't lose much time and he didn't seem to pick up unnessecary stuff. Therefore it's an accept.
About the ratio aspect, I've encode the video with the aspect I've when I played. I've always the raw files for a new encode if i'ts needed.

For the skills aspect I can give some precision:

7:32 bad positionning so it's between 0.5 and 1 second loose.

8:49 I begin to make the clipping glitch after but was not able to beat my time because of the mirror room because of it RNG (the only room in all game with RNG)

12:XX in SS it's really difficult to beat it in one take. I've made it only one time in all my try :(. I work on it too but hard.

29:40 it's real mistake due to a lake of attention

29:58 It's because I was sad of the last mistake and didn't focus well.

35:22 It's not really an accident. To avoid the save game screen you can press down and enter or press escape. So the idea is to mash the escape button. And it's happen than you pressed it just after also. I haven't cut it on the video because it's a SS of course.

If you have other stuff that I can  explain, it'll be a pleasure for me Smiley
Edit history:
Fed981: 2013-10-12 10:06:26 am
Fed981: 2013-10-12 10:05:32 am
Here's my verification response, but I will not go into details.

No cheating detected. Audio and video seems fine provided the runner re-encodes everything to correct the aspect ratio.

The gameplay quality is overall very good, and the planning looks very efficient. On another hand, my opinion is it lacks some skill, especially comparing to the old segmented run. I'm pretty sure a sub 0:39 is possible.

Anyway, I will give an accept, but I encourage the runner to keep trying.

PS: if you didn't notice, I'm french as the runner, so I may be able to help him to get past the language difficulties, if necessary.
TwitchTV: chairbendr
I haven't played this game.

Video: Fix the aspect ratio as djcj mentioned
Audio: Fine.

Gameplay: Sure, there's mistakes, but the rest of it is well executed as far as I can tell. It's pretty entertaining and fast paced, in my opinion, even having never seen this game before. If somebody wants to try to improve on those mistakes, more power to them.

I say accept.
djcj I've seen your question about fps just now: The game is running around 30 fps (I've noticed a range of 28-32 with fraps without recording). So I just put it a 30 to have something equal all the time.

I'll will not speak about my skill because I'll not say the same as you of course :p .

I've made the new video encode but have nowhere to put it. Should it be possible to redo a upload of the video and change the one accessible in public verification?

Smiley
Not a walrus
I've reactivated the upload key, you can send in replacement files if you wish.
It's done. Thanks UraniumAnchor Wink
Video quality: wrong aspect ratio, fine otherwise. Audio is good as well. Too bad the ending video couldn't be captured.

I've just started running this game, so please correct me if I'm wrong about a strategy or a glitch.

I can mostly complain about the following:
overall - not throwing grenades mid-air to skip the animation
9:10 - setting up for the skip took 14 seconds, headshot with sniper grenade and doing the part the intended way would be faster
21:15 - got shot and knocked down 3 times while collecting ammo that wasn't used anyways - unnecessary, unless it's some RNG manipulation of a sort I don't know about
28:28 - missed super chain gun, although it kinda looks like a glitch so I'm not sure if I should count is as a mistake
29:40 - 2 missed jumps

Also some minor stuff, I don't think these wasted over 10 seconds in the whole run.
2:42 - movement and aiming seems to be a bit suboptimal
11:32 - doesn't going into aiming mode stop the game for a few frames?
12:10 - missed jump
12:57 - taking damage from top-right wall should be a bit faster
16:25 - bumping into an enemy
16:44 - slow execution, throwing 3 grenades while parachuting from room entrance would be faster
24:22 - could've gotten grenades earlier
33:13 - could've skipped one platform
37:44 - haven't opened parachute on time

Overall, it's a pretty solid run and probably is gonna be hard to beat, despite mistakes. Accept.
Not a walrus
New files are up, though I copied them already but I guess not!
@zawj:

About your complain:
-I've made some grenades mid-air. But in some place it's just useless (as in level 4 against the boss because he have some recovery) and sometimes I just not smash enough the throwing button
-You can try but it will be longer to kill him because he move a lot. Futhermore, their is a OoB I didn't make on this run who is really better (I didn't beat my time even when I done it due to RNG)
-In this place you can have sniper grenade or hand grenade. Kabuto use sniper one on is run I rather prefer hand. So bad luck and loose of time for this Sad
-the missed super chain gain is a glitch. Sometimes, the object are really low and you cannot take them. I've loose around 30 seconds on this.

Other mistakes you speak about it's much more about my skill, so I'll not speak about it Wink

@UraniumAnchor: thank you Wink
Can anybody do a quick scan of the new files and comment if they're better? Thanks.
Done. Everything is fine except the video bitrate of MQ, it's slightly higher than expected (694 instead of 512). But I assume this is not a big deal. Let's go on with this run.
Decision posted.
Happy to see my run accepted Smiley

Thanks to everyone Smiley