Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Master of Magic (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'TravelDemon'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Master of Magic (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/masterofmagic-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Oct. 16, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
So looks like this is run on the hardest difficulty "impossible" against a single computer opponent on a small map with powerful magic. Timing begins at 20 seconds in.

For the record I'm not sure what the runner means by:
"Difficulty is impossible, naturally, no explanation needed."

I guess he means it's the difficulty real men use. For such a short run it hardly changes things at all I think.

I think given what happens in this run it's certainly possible to finish this even quicker. If the second lionheart had not been started to cast, the runner would have had enough mana for prayer as a combat spell (costs 30 mana but with distance penalty I imagine maybe 45 though correct me if I'm wrong) after 4 turns from when he first discovered the town which would have been a lot quicker especially seeing as this would have avoided the extra fighting. At that point I suppose the enemy army might also well have been one pack weaker making the fight a bit easier. Don't know how much luck it would have required to beat them without a second spell at all.

So if that had been foreseen (I don't blame the runner for not expecting this lucky result, the enemy could not have been found a lot faster), this run COULD be improved on but seeing as it's a very luck-based run to begin with it seems to represent an acceptable submission.

Timing should stop at 1:39, I guess, because there's no way to lose the game if you've defeated the last wizard.

accept
This was such a short video that I decided to have a look despite not being very familiar with this type of game (including this one).

I agree with what LotBlind said (even though I wouldn't have picked up some of the things mentioned on my own). The run is improvable by several seconds, but the luck factor seems to be very high.

Accept
(there are potentially tons of categories for this game and the runner changed some of the default (?) settings, so someone should take a look at the first few seconds of the video and decide how it should be labeled before this is published)
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2014-10-08 01:19:41 pm
the category is any% "impossible" difficulty afaics. Based on what I know I think there might be some sense in keeping the hardest and easiest difficulty separate: the A.I. cheats in a multitude of ways on impossible.

all the other choices he made is just the ones that give you the shortest game.
I assume some more elements of the game would come into play if you chose more opponents. To me, that would make up additional, clearly defined categories (easy - 1 opponent, easy - max opponents, impossible - 1 opponent, impossible - max opponents). There might be similar cases on sda already that would give precedent, but I don't know. Anyways, I won't argue either way. Just thought I'd bring it up.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2014-10-10 01:11:09 pm
LotBlind: 2014-10-10 01:09:47 pm
^^ that's true, I only said any% "impossible" cause it's the fastest settings apart from difficulty.

The thing is the number of possible categories (all of the settings will affect time) is pretty high even if only extreme values are allowed. A full-blown game with full land size and all opponents would probably take hours though with exploits and generally fast play... dunno. In fact segmented could cut it down immensely. I think it's okay to call this just any% for now.

Runner: you should def start a thread under "PC Games" and see who shows up and generally start a dialogue (or monologue) about what you're doing and what your rationale is for choosing any other categories you might wanna run.
Not a walrus
I'm sure there's a huge matrix of possiblities for categories you could argue for. So for now I'll just say this (not an official decision, but in case it comes up this is a good guideline):

1) All "shortest game" options.
2) All default options.
3) All "longest game" options.

Plus either easiest or hardest difficulties on any of these three. Anything else is probably just bloat, and even the ones I listed might be a bit of a stretch.
Decision posted.