Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Lyle in Cube Sector (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Let me start out by saying I really love this game. Metroidvanias are one of my favorite genres, but Lyle in particular is wonderfully unique, with an outstanding look/sound/feel.

Unfortunately, there are a few large errors throughout this run. The biggest two come in the form of forgetting the route at 4:15 costing 4 seconds, and missing several box jump tricks early on. I tested this trick and it seems to be extremely lenient (at least 10 frames if it's a 60fps game), so these should really be minimal.

There are also a lot of smaller time losses throughout the run, which are more oversights than mistakes. The first occurs as early as the first screen of the game, when the runner stops moving horizontally before jumping onto the first ledge. I tried myself and was able to consistently make this jump without stopping. Runner also falls off of ledges throughout the run, rather than jumping ahead of time to gain downwards momentum.

If the final boss fight had great RNG I might be able to overlook some of these time losses, but assuming that there is an equal chance of 1/2/3/4 flies, this pattern of 2/2/4/2 is exactly average luck.

Lastly, there is a significant visual bug which makes black menu backgrounds appear transparent. This is pretty staggering, and I hope it can be fixed if the runner submits again in the future.

Audio is fine & no cheating.

It is borderline for me but because of these reasons, I'm unfortunately going to have to give a reject. I really love this game a lot and I hope the runner continues attempts at it, because I know a much better time is within reach.

Quote:
Audio Quality - Good
Video Quality - Good

This is kind of a borderline Accept mostly because while there are several small oversights pointed out by Verifier 1, they don't seem to add up to much time. I do encourage the runner to improve this time though.

Quote from Nitrodon:
The time is approximately 14:52, from start of control (0:09) to end of control (15:01).  Control ends when Lyle falls off the screen in the final boss fight; the player may choose to postpone this indefinitely if level 4 phantom cube magic is obtained.

Graphically, I noticed the information windows (e.g., upon picking up a new item) are transparent, which is not consistent with their in-game appearance.  The reason for this is explained in the runner's quality test thread, and I saw no other audio or video problems.

Comments on specific areas:

1:16: It is possible and fairly consistent to get through this without waiting or taking damage.
2:57: The runner attempted (and failed) to pick up a cube while jumping off it, but this trick is not necessary to avoid the Boingo.  Simply jump from the green tile shortly after the cube the trick was attempted with, and you'll stay ahead of him.
... and that's about it.  There were other times the runner had to slow down slightly due to randomly moving enemies, but that's to be expected in a run of this game.  The run is very good and is an easy accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: The run is a bit borderline but even the verifier who said reject said it was close

Congratulations to 'Gliperal'!
Thread title: