page  <- 1234567891011 <- 1 ... 11
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
DTaeKim: 2006-11-05 04:17:28 pm
If you were looking for something like yours, my commentary would've been that.  My notes were benchmarks to compare myself to the previous runs, as well as a reminder of which items to get.

I went over your notes.  I can probably address some of them in a later post.
Quote:
gades 12
amon 14
erim 16
daos 15

I presume these are the number of actions it takes to defeat one Sinistral.  They have the following HP values.

Gades - 2800
Amon - 2600
Erim - 2600
Daos - 3000

Compare that with the Lufia 2 values.

Quote:
5-8 don't quite start from the title screen
seg7 starts funny, also 11, split sec 14, false start 15, ss 20
first part of seg13 up to ~9:33 is unnecessary

I take it these are segmenting issues.

Quote:
constant switching around of equipment

That was a problem in the earlier segments.  I felt it was less of an issue later on.

Quote:
get less of it too... large portions of the game have no boss

I'm not sure what you meant here.

Quote:
minimize things like fights, trips to menu, trips to inn, etc

I take it these are general improvements about the run.

Quote:
monster ring + sweet water = foul water

This is probably the most glaring issue.  I had no idea that was true.  When someone on GameFAQs offhandedly mentioned it, I smacked myself.  That could've saved time by not getting those Foul Waters aside from that first one.

Quote:
defending faster than attacking... started doing soon though

You're probably right here, though selecting A twice is about as fast as pressing Right and A.  In addition, I didn't want to risk accidently telling a character to defend when he/she needed to do something else.

Quote:
miracles sell for 2500 if you need money early on

True, though I think I managed my money very well.  In addition, I didn't want to risk running out of Miracles in the final four boss fights.

Quote:
level up against guys with weaknesses?

From what I can tell, most of the enemies with weaknesses usually do not give enough experience to make it worthwhile until the end of the game, where you have the Mad Knights and the Barient.

Quote:
possibly ever better to warp someplace where the inn/church are more accessible?

I contemplated warping to Alexia at times, since the Inn and Church are next to each other, but I decided that the time needed to return to the place I needed to go probably wasn't worth it.

Quote:
weird/bad how jerin starts at highest level and ends at lowest, passed in 24

Jerin's experience needed to reach the next level suddenly skyrockets in the mid-20s.  That one is outside my realm.

Quote:
redid to the end was starting from seg29 right?
5, 9, 13, 16, 23*, 29*, 31 are segments that involved overwriting

Yep.

Quote:
2 big newt, 1 jellyfish

I presume those are the two battles David fought on his own.

Quote:
why not use up mp if you're gonna inn anyway? (wouldn't need those arrows either)

I wasn't sure how many battles I would have before reaching Sheran.  Using the Arrows was a precaution, especially if I hit a spider before Sheran.

Quote:
equip and use stat items all at the same time
incidentally, if possible, use stat items at seg start so you can reroll

If I pursue another attempt, this will be one of the things I will do.  I need as many AGL points from the Speed Potions as I can get.

Quote:
occasionally use ae like dew more?
spike shoes

I based my decisions on whether or not an area spell + normal attack killed an enemy.  For the most part, this would not be the case unless Lufia was equipped with the corresponding elemental ring.

As for the spike shoes, I have no idea what you mean.

Quote:
selling stuff that doesn't sell for much, maybe could use item order
random scimitar (although maybe 4x total)
how much hp does phantasm have?
crazy luck avoiding fights near the end of seg8
1 dmg kill seg9

Item organization definitely could have been better.

An instance of luck.  I thank the gaming gods for that blessing.

I didn't have any boss HP information before the run.  Since I now have access to a hex editor, I have a rough idea where the monster HP may be located.  I believe he has 640 HP.

As for your other two comments, I chalk it up to randomness.

Quote:
seg10 fights take forever

The whole segment is ugly and would've been discarded if it weren't for that quick Follower battle.  I believe he has 888 HP.

Quote:
can using bang ever be a good idea, say vs lots of enemies

Bang would have been useful back in the Ghost Cave.  Right now, it doesn't do enough damage to make it worthwhile.

Quote:
why sell stuff in the town in seg12?
seg12 ruby/emerald conversation getting in there
bad luck, jerin keeps on falling asleep

Good question.  I don't remember why I did that.

The conversation is needed to receive the Hope Ruby from the Medan Mines.

It's another example on how random this game gets.

Quote:
didn't ever cash in the old cave level 3 reward?

I didn't?  Oops.

Quote:
don't actually need to get every miracle (like in old cave level 4)

In my opinion, better safe than sorry.

Quote:
move something like stronger to better magic position
david never does anything in harpy fight in seg16

I eventually change the magic positions later on, but I should have done that sooner.

That harpy fight was bad in general.

Quote:
stuff like bridge fixing cave excursion, getting equipment that increases ~4/100
wish the elder increased lufia's int by 10
there's a town named platina
4 armed hero would be pretty kick ass, also wonder about "hair" in jp
badass ship navigation skills

I felt I needed the equipment, especially since I'm skimping majorly on defense.  I don't know what you mean by the ~4/100 part though.

Indeed.  Lufia's MP growth is insane anyway.

Strange, but true.

I still wonder who he tested that potion on.  As for the hair, we'll never know unless someone decides to translate the original script.

Thanks for the compliment.
Quote:
maybe dew salamander?
accidentally sold a gloom voice
love how the guy says "try smoke ball" and then you buy 40

Dew is too weak by this point to serve much of a use.

That particular mistake hurt me a lot, since it meant that I won't get a quick battle.

I love how you point out these random snippets.  It's entertaining.

Quote:
either beat cores or don't bother at all, especially bad on seg27

That time, I thought I had them.  The Red Cores have roughly 101 HP, and I think I got them down to about 20 before they fled.

Quote:
does gloom voice/arrow work on cores? gloom arrow in general

Nope.  Gloom Arrow has a poor chance on OHKO anyway, so I avoided them.

Quote:
incidentally, you can buy gloom arrows @ 80 and pick @ 4800 at forfeit island

I suppose I can examine a future run that abuses Gloom Arrows, especially in that level building segment.  I never thought they could be purchased.  As for the Gloom Pick, I could experiment with Lufia using the item I suppose.  I need Jerin's Artea's Bow in case I get nailed with mass confusion.

Quote:
when collecting alumina, seemed like unnecessary backtracking... maybe escape?

I can forsee using Escape after one Alumina piece, maybe, but I didn't think I wasted much time by walking around everywhere.

Quote:
isn't hipower ring kinda good?

The ATP bonus is nice, but I need the AGL boost more.

Quote:
maybe buy more items like ex arrows/bomb to make leveling faster?
hahaha statue got in there
in general, don't want x and y to cure each other, doesn't apply here

I assume it's during the level building segments.  I use Ex Arrows, especially because a Bolt + Attack =/= dead Griffon.  If a mixed group appears during those segments, I usually run, so Ex Bombs wouldn't be necessary.  I should check the damage on the Ex Bomb before dismissing it though.  Time to go back to the ROM.

Check it out!  That spell DOES have a use.

Against the Guardian, it's needed.  I can't predict when he will make his next action, so it's a precaution.

Quote:
might not actually be a good idea to have to watch all the spells hit aguro

If I had a rough idea how much the missing experience will hurt Aguro, I may consider killing him off next time.

Quote:
assuming asking clack about brant is trigger for seeing brant
like how clack gets in there when you save

That's correct.  Otherwise he never shows up in the Old Cave.

All NPCs have their own special slot for the save.  It's kind of funny.

Quote:
leveling in the same spot in seg28 as seg24
either use fright more or less, same with other status effects like confuse
be more selective in fights, esp with foul water (3 mad wolf vs 2 mega frog)
4/4 confused vs pirates

I find that certain enemies are more suspectible to certain status effects than others.  For example, I can confuse nearly everyone during the segment, but only the Megaturtle and Mega Frog seemed to be vulnerble to sleep.  It could be bad luck on my part.

The confusion was a stroke of bad luck.  This was a good segment though.  Like I said in my commentary, I once had the entire party asleep.

Quote:
protecting a bit much vs oil dragon
petrified lufia = erim statue
that 2 mad knight fight was hella sexy

Protect turned out to be useless.  I'll avoid it next time.

True, but Lufia doesn't have those evil eyes.

I wish I can remember what you were talking about there.

Quote:
trip just for white ring
forgetting to use buff potions
lufia dead vs nazeby at the end doesn't mean anything
really good parking

The White Ring has the ATP as the HiPower Ring (40 points), increases DFP by 21, and AGL by 4.  It's the AGL bonus I liked, and the DFP helps against Gades.

That was an oversight on the stat potions.

On that note, a dead Hero doesn't matter as well.

I experimented to see how close you can get to the shrine.  It turns out that's the closest you can get.

Quote:
use miracles more vs gades since hp matters and there's no mirror

I need to establish a system on deciding how many Miracles I can afford against Gades and still have enough for Guard Daos.

Quote:
not sold on power gourds vs gades since there's lots of dying, but might as well
going great vs gades, then the wheels absolutely fall off (> 2 mins)
mirrored dread is a beating

After I looked through the ROM via the hex editor, I found three versions of Gades.

Gades 1 has 65535 HP.  Something tells me that is Sheran Gades.
Gades 2 has 2800 HP.  Since this Gades appears in the data with Amon, Erim, and Daos, this must be the Prologue Gades.
Gades 3 has 4000 HP.  Logic tells me this is the final Gades.   

I might as well use those Power Gourds, since it will take nearly 20 - 30 attacks to wipe him out.  Power Gourds will speed up the process.

When he uses Undead, I cringe.  That's when everyone starts dropping like flies.  David and Aguro barely survive Destroy.  Undead breaks that barrier.

The Amon battle shows me that Mirror is the game-saving spell.

Quote:
what does amon's melancholy do?

I couldn't tell you, but it's a free action.  Amon here has 3800 HP.

Quote:
might want to just let amon/daos cast dread
lufia power vs terra
final boss where 1) main character is dead
    2) involves attacking yourself
    3) boss kills himself

Amon cast it enough times to satisfy me, but Daos didn't, which is why I used Drain.  Daos has 4200 HP here.

I have no idea what you meant by Terra.  Unless you mean FF6's Terra Branford.

That was my surprise.  I hoped you enjoyed that one.  It took a while to whittle down his 6304 HP.

Quote:
Some day....

We can only hope for a Lufia sequel.
100% runs=great to watch
Got nothing on the technical strat figuring.  HOWEVER, I'm fairly confident romhacking.net has a patch of the JP Lufia 1 that translates things "proper"...seems I recall seeing it within the last couple months.

Carry on... Lips Sealed
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Quote:
If you were looking for something like yours, my commentary would've been that.

Yeah, the commentary was great. Smiley

If I don't respond to something, that's because your explanation is perfect and there's nothing to say. Tongue Everything I'm saying below is just my fault I didn't explain things at all anyway.

- Large portions of the game have no boss, means it isn't as important to upgrade your equipment during those portions, since bosses are what's hard and require better equipment to beat them.
- About defending better than attacking, that's not what I meant. What you did with mashing A is correct. What I meant is when you do something like attack with Lufia for negligible damage, it's better to just defend. Like I said, you did this perfectly after the first segment or so, so it's obvious you know this.
- For warping to better inns/churches, I didn't mean go out of the way from one town to another. Just, let's say you're coming back from a dungeon, and warp to the "local" town. Sometimes, there's no reason the warp you're already doing can't be to any other town.
- Because I didn't say, the asterisks next to the segment numbers are the ones where the overwriting was done over later segments, and not the segment in question.
- Spike shoes is some armor in this game, but also a weapon in Star Ocean 3.
- By item order I meant, you can sort your items I think, and that would make going through items faster in general.
- Yeah, everything indented is just funny notes, like the spike shoes. In segment 9, apparently once an enemy had 1 HP left, took 1 dmg, and died? I think that's what that would mean. So when I was saying "conversation getting in there," I wasn't asking why you did that, I was noticing how funny it was a speedrun had to go through this seemingly frivolous conversation, and also the conversation itself is pretty cool, with the ruby/sapphire thing I didn't know either. So if I say something like David does nothing in harpy fight indented, that's not a complaint or saying you could possibly have done any better (since it's random), just that it was notably funny.
- The ~4/100 would mean that your defense was say 96 before, and getting the equipment increased it to 100, which is not much of a percentage increase. Of course, if it makes all the difference, then it's worth getting anyway.
- Yeah, I expected the INT to go up 10 instead of the MP, which is why I brought it up.
- Platina is the human name of the main character of Valkyrie Profile.
- Yep, Gloom Arrows and Fatal Pick might be one of the biggest improvements that could be made, I think. I wish I'd realized this earlier myself.
- Don't use x and y to cure each other, means if you have a character x and y, you want x to cure x and y to cure y. That way if the boss kills either of them, at least the other person will still cure themselves. If you have x cure y and y cure x, then if someone dies, the curing spell will fizzle.
- I just think it's cool how theoretically if someone was paying attention in the intro, they could have noticed Lufia was Erim from the very begining. I can't imagine this actually happened to anyone though. Also the music in this place is really underrated and totally rules.
- Mad knights are weak against lightning, so that fight was just incredibly fast I guess.
- Mirrored Dread is hilarious since that's what you want to be doing anyway, and he's totally speeding up his own demise.
- Maybe Amon's melancholy, is him crying that he sucks so bad.
- (I actually had to sit here for half a minute to remember what I meant by Lufia vs Terra.) I'm saying that one reason I like Lufia 1 as a game more than FF6 because it has integrity, if you know what I mean. You get Terra back in the World of Ruin in a similar way to how you get Lufia back, right in time for a boss fight. But in FF6, they give you an uberbuff Terra for that fight who's permanently morphed. That always seemed really fake to me, like they are artificially emphasizing her importance to that fight, protecting the kids, all that bullcrap. When you get Lufia back, it's nothing special, it's just her, and the hero wouldn't want it any other way. They could have made it so she comes back at higher levels, or super buff, or something, but I like it much better that they didn't. It's more heartfelt, I really don't have any better way of explaining, but these are the sorts of little things that set the game apart.
- I wrote the update, so I made sure to get those final boss points in there. I didn't realize I'd written them down in the notes, so I forgot the "attacking yourself" one, but I did remember the 2 more notable ones.
- I've always been fascinated by what the "some day...." means. I think it's supposed to be about the hero and Lufia and making new memories. Or maybe, some day I'll tell you everything that happened.

Quote:
Got nothing on the technical strat figuring.  HOWEVER, I'm fairly confident romhacking.net has a patch of the JP Lufia 1 that translates things "proper"...seems I recall seeing it within the last couple months.

I know what you're talking about, and the guy who did it even said that he thought the original translation was maybe the best he's ever seen. He did the retranslation because people were bugging him for it, and he made it more literal than the original, since people usually gripe that the localizers do too much to change the original (like with Victor Ireland and Working Designs, RIP).
If ryvnn is still interested in improving my run, I have a list of enemy HP values.

I'm still digging for the damage formula.  Maybe it could help alleviate some of the equipment.
Edit history:
Dragondarch: 2006-11-06 12:22:47 pm
Pudding%
Quote:
Gades 1 has 65535 HP.  Something tells me that is Sheran Gades.

Hmm...I wonder if the HP overflow glitch would work here, like it does on the Egg Dragon in Lufia 2. Might make the battle slightly quicker if this was the case.
Edit history:
Enhasa: 2006-11-07 03:34:49 am
Well I just tested for shits and giggles, but it doesn't work. It'd probably be as fast just to defend and die anyway.

My favorite part of the beginning of the game btw, is how when you have the conversation with Lufia, and that steps you halfway along the path to the first cave for you. Wink Maybe the monsters are too scared of messing with an angry Lufia, who knows?
I prefer how some of the NPC dialogue change when Lufia is solo.  I can't believe the programmers actually coded that in.
Edit history:
DTaeKim: 2008-01-27 08:01:25 pm
I'm considering improving my Lufia run.

I can cut out one level building segment and collect another eight Dragon Eggs instead.  This means Jerin needs to be at level 28 in order to reap the maximum benefits of the two Dragon Egg sets.

The second set of eggs are located in the following places, according to the FAQ.

1. Alekia Castle
2. Belgen
3. Northwest Tower (On the top floor)
4. Cave Southwest of Belgen (down the stairs that have a door to the west and
more stairs to the east)
5. Cave Northeast of Tower of Light
6. Elba Island Cave (Down the three rope ladders and all then all the way west)
7. Under Ring Island (In the West Cave)
8. Oil Cave (Go down the first set of stairs, then cross the bridge, and follow
the path)

With the travel time in mind, I'm not sure how much time it would save, but it is an improvement after all.

The problem would be the timing.  One of the eggs is located in the Oil Cave, and I do not hit level 28 until I reach the dragon.  Optimally, I would be at level 28 before entering the Oil Cave, and then use the Eggs to get myself to level 30.

I'm also testing the effects of equipment.  If I can skimp on armor, it may cut out the Odel segment.  I'm not sure on the Might Helmet skip however, but if I can skimp on the equipment, I can raid the Tower of Light for the Might Helmet specifically instead of the equipment inside.
100% runs=great to watch
Coolness, I wish you luck.  New Lufia runs on SDA are the ideal, but improvements to the foundation are always nice to see.  8)
This is an awesome idea. Please continue!
Another improvement I can do is the level-building segments.  It's going to add a ton of segments, but it's going to save time overall.

I'm going to harvest Red Cores.  Now, I understand the encounter rate is rare, which is why I'm going to accept two to three encounters before restarting.

I don't have a DVD recorder, so this is not gong to come out for a while.
Edit history:
zidanax: 2010-06-04 10:48:49 pm
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I don't know how long it's been since you've checked GameFAQs, but in case it's been a while: there's a great Treasure Guide by jvh147 on there now.  It's the most complete treasure list I've seen for this game.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Shadax202 has posted a bestiary over at the GameFAQs board.  What's special about this one is that Shadax202 actually looked at monster entries with a hex editor, so it should be pretty accurate.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AWOb6bHcdodKZGQ2OXE3M21fOGdybTJobWd0&hl=en It doesn't have everything (e.g., it doesn't have damage modifiers for elemental strengths/weaknesses), but it's still the best bestiary I've seen yet.