Lucky Luke: On the Daltons' Trail (uk/jp/na) (pc/psx) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'wesen'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Lucky Luke: On the Daltons' Trail (uk/jp/na) (pc/psx) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/luckyluke-20161116/any%25.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2016-11-27 12:28:55 pm
Level 3: Can't you pick up the extra 38 coins in this level to get you to 100?

Level 4: 13:08 couldn't you have picked up the orb that was here on the small rooftop now instead of earlier, or does it require collecting this one first so the one on the far right spawns in?

L5: 18:14 Could have saved a second by hopping off the high horizontally moving platform directly onto the next one.

L6: 22:38 Why would you turn around in the air like that? :/

L7: I just remembered another game with random/pseudorandom fisticuffs. The guy seems to have figured it out though:

As I'm saying, it's not necessarily impossible to gain an understanding of how this kinda stuff works, but on the other hand a game like Lucky Luke (it is a pretty cheap license production for kids after all) isn't likely to have sophisticated mechanics that CAN be understood.

accept!
Quote:
Level 3: Can't you pick up the extra 38 coins in this level to get you to 100?

It may be possible by collecting as many Dollars as possible from the "money rain" after the sub boss. However I need the lifes that I buy in the shop for my routes. I found a use for the second life that I buy too. In Level 4 I can save about 22 seconds with a route change which includes another death. I found it after doing this run when I was trying to find skips and better routes to complete the game even faster.

Quote:
Level 4: 13:08 couldn't you have picked up the orb that was here on the small rooftop now instead of earlier, or does it require collecting this one first so the one on the far right spawns in?

You have to collect them in a fixed order. When you go to an orb before collecting the previous one it will be transparent and you can't collect it. You can see the orb which you mean at about 10:31 in this condition.

Quote:
L5: 18:14 Could have saved a second by hopping off the high horizontally moving platform directly onto the next one.

Yes, I think I could have jumped a bit earlier to the third platform if I did that.

Quote:
L6: 22:38 Why would you turn around in the air like that? :/

I don't know why I did that, I never tried whether that bones have a huge hitbox too and probably just did it for fun expecting to fall into the hole.

Quote:
L7: I just remembered another game with random/pseudorandom fisticuffs. The guy seems to have figured it out though:

I figured out a pattern which sometimes work for the first enemy in this level. This is it:

* 2 x normal punch
* 2 x low punch
* another low punch, enemy will hit you
* 2 x normal punch
* 4 x low punch

I think the enemies movement might be based on your input. When I perform the low punches in the 6 hit combo too fast one after another the enemy will hit me.

The same doesn't seem to be the case for the enemy in Level 10 - Challenge 3. That guy simply blocks everything when you are about to defeat him too fast. You can still speed the fight up by hitting him while he is performing a punch, that is the only time he lets his guard down in that state. But even then he might block the hit by punching again.

Anyways thanks for accepting the run. There will probably be one more run for this category before I'm done with it because of the new route in Level 4. But for now I'll pause this game.
It seems to me you're rushing your submissions a bit: you should probably hold onto records until you've done a more exhaustive check of possible sources for improvement. Also, it's not a big deal individually, but stuff like L6: 22:38 is something that happens before you've played the game enough - there will be these moments where you simply hadn't seen something before because you haven't done enough testing. I've been working on a game now for probably 2 years trying to do a very exhaustive check of anything I can think of and I think I'll still need another several months to have the run done...
It's overall well played (as it should be, considering this is the 4th iteration of this run). The boss luck is notably better than in the previous runs. As mentioned above, there are a few minor issues and also one big time saver that was discovered after the run. While waiting for the 5th iteration, I'm happy to say

Accept
Decision posted.