Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2011-08-07 11:03:07 pm
Flip: 2011-03-03 11:20:28 pm
mikwuyma: 2011-03-03 10:06:35 pm
mikwuyma: 2011-03-03 09:32:05 pm
mikwuyma: 2011-03-03 09:31:23 pm
1-Up!
Note if you want to contribute to this thread: It's not meant to be used as a place to discuss what you want a 100% definition to be. That can go in game-specific threads. The idea is to compile existing definitions into one place. So please don't stump for anything. Look at other games and try to go with established conventions. If I find out later you were making stuff up, I'm naturally not going to trust you in the future.

Keep in mind that low% and 100% don't make sense for every game.

When stating the definition, try to do it as elegantly as possible. For instance, don't include beating all the bosses if that's required anyway. Best case scenario is that the game itself defines the % (i.e. actually says 78%). Next best would be best ending. Then if there's an obvious thing to track (like stars in Mario 64), go with that. The idea is to think about what the developers would have included.

-------------------------------------------

I'm kinda hesitant about opening this thread since I'd rather hear suggestions after debate for any game has been more or less finalized in the appropriate threads, but I think it'd be useful so here goes. If something is crossed out, that means a current run has it, but I don't think a future run should bother. Don't worry, an obsoleting run must demonstrate better play even if this were not true.

These lists is not just for runs already on SDA. If you can think of existing definitions where the run never materialized, post them and link to any previous relevant posts. Also if you have any suggestions about current definitions, post them as well. Note that we're looking to cut down on some of the unruly "laundry list" 100% definitions. Things like expendable items, levels, etc will never need to be maxed out. For the rationale behind SDA and 100%, please read the next post.

Please help me get rid of redundancies! What I mean is, let's say to get 100% of A, you also need 100% of B. There would be no need to list 100% of B when A is enough. If you don't think that sounds very complete, realize the list isn't going to be complete in the first place. You need to do things like beating the final boss, starting a new game, breathing, that we don't list. We want to keep things as simple as possible.

A particularly weird series is post-SOTN Castlevania. The games themselves define % as map completion, yet somehow that's not what we currently use for 100%.

Taken from an earlier post:

Quote:
I see a lot of confusion about this everywhere. 100% is not 100% of all things, it's 100% of some thing(s). Think about it, please.

Even if you had your way, you wouldn't be getting 100% of everything. You would already be making some decisions not to include things. Do you think every single enemy should be killed at least once? Do you think every pixel of land should be stepped on? Do you think the game clock should be maxed out? That would make for a great speedrun! If you disagree with maxing out game clock, then you also agree that it's 100% of some things, just not necessarily the ones you want.

Now let's think more in detail about which things. Do you know why the 100% category exists? In some games like Metroid, the game itself tracks the percentages. There is no debate there. But people would like to make similar runs for games that don't define 100%, so for SDA we have to come up with definitions. Ideally, the definition we use would make sense, i.e. something that perhaps the developers themselves would have chosen.

Think about 100% categories included with different games. For Metroid, it's 100% items collected. If Super Metroid didn't track itself, some people would say "all items, all map completed, saving the animals, etc etc" when the developers themselves intended 100% items collected. You can go down the line and look at the % definitions for all sorts of games and see that 100% is defined almost always as 100% of something. I feel like 2-3 items is as much as you should ever have for a game, which is a compromise, since honestly I feel 1 item is the correct number really.

Thread title:  
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2014-10-27 08:07:24 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2014-10-27 08:00:17 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2014-10-27 07:10:32 pm
puwexil: 2014-08-04 11:04:17 am
Flip: 2013-01-03 01:47:29 pm
Flip: 2012-12-05 09:44:36 pm
Flip: 2012-06-16 06:09:51 pm
Flip: 2011-12-04 09:57:23 am
Flip: 2011-11-30 09:22:22 pm
Flip: 2011-08-17 05:12:34 pm
Flip: 2011-08-07 11:10:23 pm
Flip: 2011-08-07 11:02:16 pm
Flip: 2011-07-02 08:56:32 pm
Flip: 2011-05-26 05:52:57 pm
Flip: 2011-03-03 11:20:27 pm
mikwuyma: 2011-03-03 09:33:15 pm
mikwuyma: 2010-10-28 01:53:20 pm
mikwuyma: 2010-08-31 05:58:49 pm
1-Up!
Please refer to https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/100%25_Definitions and https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Low_%25_definitions, new suggestions should still take place in this thread for the time being.

low%

-Bouncer: no special moves, upgrades
-Contra: no items
-Contra III: no items
-Contra: Hard Corps: no items
-Classic Castlevania (1, 3, 4, Bloodlines, Chronicles, all original Gameboy titles): No weapon powerups, no subweapons, no instant-kill or invulnerability items, no health items, no partner characters (CV3 only)
-Castlevania Rondo of Blood: game-defined (56%)
-Castlevania Symphony of the Night: min relics (Soul of Wolf only)
-Donkey Kong 64: 0% (game defined)
-Final Fantasy 1 (only PS1 version): min items (Lenophis says it's either 5 or 6%)
-Kirby's Adventure: no switches (71%?)
-Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland: no switches (VG says the game tracks and it's ~62%)
-La Mulana - Lowest number of items in the Items Screen, and Glyph Reader (and Game Master for Segmented Runs)
-Mega Man 7: min items (rush coil and boss weapons are forced by the game)
-Mega Man 8: no bolts
-Mega Man X: min items (dash boots + X-buster only)
-Mega Man X2: no items
-Mega Man X3: no items
-Mega Man X4: no items
-Mega Man X5: no items, boss weapons
-Mega Man X6: no items, reploids rescued, min boss weapons (1)
-Mega Man X7: no armor parts, hearts, subtanks, reploids rescued
-Mega Man Xtreme 2: only foot parts (X)
-Metroid II: 3 items (bomb, ice beam and an energy tank. Apparently it's impossible to survive without an energy tank)
-Metroid Fusion: game-defined (1%)
-Metroid Prime: game-defined (22%)
-Metroid Prime 2: game-defined (22%)
-Metroid Prime Hunters: 15% (i.e. all permanent upgrades, health and ammo pickups are okay)
-Metroid Zero Mission: For low%, 9% Normal and 10% Hard are regarded as separate categories. 9% Hard is possible on the European version
-Ninja Gaiden (all NES releases): Sword only
-Paper Mario: min badges (Power Jump only), no super blocks
-Pikmin: min pikmin (50)
-Resident Evil: knife-only
-Resident Evil 4: Knife/Handgun only
-Super C: no items
-Super Mario World: no Yoshi, powerups
-Yoshi's Island: min points (check table for specific IL values)
-Zelda Link to the Past: min hearts, items
-Zelda Majora's Mask: min permanent items (don't disappear after Song of Time... not sure what the number value is atm)

100%

-A Boy and His Blob: all treasures
-Actraiser: max population (4652)
-Banjo-Kazooie: all notes, jiggies, honeycombs
-Banjo-Tooie: all jiggies, honeycombs, cheato pages, glowbos, notes, jinjos, jamjar's moves... all stop 'n swop items (2 secret eggs, ice key, mega glowbo)
-Battletoads: all stages
-Blaster Master: Enemy Below: All optional items
-Bouncer: game-defined (100%) -- MatrixTN isn't sure if it really is game-defined though
-Castlevania Aria of Sorrow: all bosses
-Castlevania: Curse of Darkness: game defined
-Castlevania Lament of Innocence: game-defined (100%)... map completion, all powerups, accessories (Leon only), max orbs (7 for Leon, 6 for Joachim), 8/10 relics (Leon only, all but the 2 rare drops)
-Castlevania Rondo of Blood: game-defined (100%) -- PSP version goes by PCE version % rules
-Castlevania Symphony of the Night: all relics, best ending (Alucard) or all bosses (Richter, Maria)
-Chameleon Twist: all crowns
-Chip 'n Dale: All Levels
-Chrono Trigger: all sidequests
-Commandos Strike Force: all objectives, 5 stars (individual levels)
-Conker's Bad Fur Day: all money
-Cool Spot: all cool points and U-N-C-O-L-A (MatrixTN says he isn't sure about this)
-Crash Bandicoot 2: game-defined (100%)
-Crash Bandicoot 3: game-defined (105%)
-Crystalis: all permanent items
-Demon's Crest: best ending
-Devil May Cry: all skills, purple orbs, blue orbs fragments, secret missions
-Diddy Kong Racing: all races... unlock Drumstick
-Donkey Kong 64: All Golden Bananas, Battle Crowns, Banana Fairies, Banana Medals, and Boss Keys; Nintendo Coin and Rareware Coin
-Donkey Kong Country: game-defined (101%)
-Donkey Kong Country 2: game-defined (102%) + the 40 DK coins
-Donkey Kong Country 3: game-defined (105%)
-Duck Tales 2: Best ending (all map pieces, beat the secret stage), the two secret treasures, and Gyro's gadgets.
-Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Maximum number of quests completed (199)
-Enclave: all gold
-Fable: the Lost Chapters: complete all documented quests (gold/silver/bronze); collect all silver keys; open all silver key chests; open all demon doors; collect all legendary weapons; max out character skills/attributes; and obtain all trophies
-Faxanadu: all equipment, accessories, magic
-Final Fantasy 6: all characters, espers (except Odin)
-Goonies 2: all items
-Gothic 1 and 2: All quests
-Grand Theft Auto 3: game-defined (100%)
-Grand Theft Auto Vice City: game-defined (100% without objective duping taken into account)
-GUN: all missions, gold, poker matches, upgrades
-Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (PC): All wizard cards, all secrets on every map, All duels completed, All quidditch matches completed, Quidditch armour and Nimbus 2001.The spell challenge stars aren't required.
-Hitman Blood Money- Complete all optional objectives
-Illusion of Gaia: obtaining all 50 Red Jewels and defeating Solid Arm
-Kingdom Hearts II: 100% in Jiminy's Journal, does not require 100% gummi route completion
-Kirby 64: game-defined (100%)
-Kirby and the Amazing Mirror: game-defined (100%)
-Kirby's Epic Yarn: Play all levels (including the two bonus levels for each world), collect all three treasures in each level
-Kirby's Return to Dreamland: Game defined (100%)
-Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land: game-defined (100%)
-La Mulana - Completed Items screen, completed ROMs screen, all Maps, Skimpy Swimsuit, Chain Whip, Buckler, and Silver Shield.
-Legend of Mana: all quests
-Luigi's Mansion: all boos... a-rank
-Mega Man 7: all items
-Mega Man 8: all bolts (40)
-Mega Man X: all items
-Mega Man X2: all items, Zero's parts
-Mega Man X3: all items
-Mega Man X4: all items
-Mega Man X5: all items
-Mega Man X6: all items, Reploids rescued
-Mega Man X7: all items, Reploids rescued
-Mega Man X8: game-defined (100%)
-Mega Man Xtreme: all 8 LifeUps, all 9 capsules, all 4 Subtanks
-Mega Man Xtreme 2: 4 LifeUps, 5 capsules, 1 Subtank (X)
-Mega Man Xtreme 2: 4 LifeUps, 4 capsules, 1 subtank (Zero)
-Mega Man Zero: all cyber elves except for Jackson (takes too long)
-Mega Man Zero 2 100% - 81 Elves, 10 Forms, 10 EX Skills, 2 SubTanks
-Mega Man Zero 3 100% - 180 Disks, 12 Ex Skills, 2 SubTanks.
-Mega Man Zero 4 100% - 2 pick up SubTanks, 8 EX Skills. (Parts dropped by enemies maybe too random, it would take hours to make all the parts.)
-Metal Gear Solid 2: all dog tags
-Metal Slug: all prisoners
-Metal Slug 2: all prisoners
-Metal Slug X: all prisoners
-Metroid: all items
-Metroid 2: all items
-Metroid Fusion: game-defined (100%)
-Metroid Prime 1: game-defined (100%)
-Metroid Prime 2: game-defined (100%)
-Metroid Prime: Hunters: All pickups (game counts scans, which defies metroid tradition)
-Metroid Zero Mission: game-defined (100%)
-Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon: all fortune dolls and all weapons
-Nier: Ending D, all weapons
-Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee: best ending (Rescue all 100 mudokons)
-Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus: best ending (Rescue all 300 mudokons)
-Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath: all money & items that are able to be picked up/found/collected without having to hurt a Clukker + buying all of the General Store and Black Market items, getting all the ammo upgrades, and capturing all bounties.
-Ogre Battle: max characters (no Galf), all stages, best ending
-Paper Mario: all badges, super blocks
-Paper Mario TTYD: all badges, shine sprites
-Pitfall 2: max score (199,000)
-Pokemon Colosseum: Catch all Shadow Pokemon
-Pokemon Red/Blue: all pokemon, badges
-Pokemon XD:  Gale of Darkness:  All Shadow Pokemon caught.
-Prince of Persia (PS3/360): All 1001 Light seeds
-Prince of Persia The Two Thrones: all life upgrades and close all sand gates
-Prince of Persia Warrior Within: Best ending
-Radiata Stories: all characters
-Ratchet & Clank 3: All trophies except Nano Finder and Omega Arsenal
-Rayman 2: game-defined (100%)
-Resident Evil (Director's Cut): Best ending
-Shadow Man: all dark souls, Cadeaux, items
-Simpsons Hit & Run: game-defined (100%)
-Sly Cooper: game-defined (100%)
-Sly 2 and 3: game-defined (100%, everything unlocked)
-Solstice: game-defined (100%)
-Sonic 1: all emeralds
-Sonic 2: all emeralds
-Sonic 3: all emeralds, super emeralds
-Sonic Adventure Battle 2: 180 Emblems - you are allowed to use a powered up Chao.
-Spot Goes To Hollywood: All Hollywood Stars
-Spyro: game-defined (120%)
-Spyro 3: game-defined (117%)
-Star Fox 64: all medals
-Strife: 100% stats and all weapons collected
-Super Mario 64: all stars
-Super Mario Bros 1: all stages
-Super Mario Bros 2: all stages
-Super Mario Bros 3: all stages
-Super Mario Sunshine: all shines
-Super Mario World: all exits
-Super Meat Boy: All bandages, all characters, and all stages beaten with an a+ rating (this includes the glitch zones!).
-Super Metroid: game-defined (100%)
-Thief 3: all loot
-Valkyrie Profile: all artifacts, A ending
-Valkyrie Profile 2: all dungeons (includes Seraphic Gate)
-VVVVVV: Collect all shiny trinkets
-Wario Land: best ending
-Yoshi's Island: all points (100)
-Ys Origin: All armor, boots, accessories, skill jewels, inventory items and save statues
-Zelda Adventure of Link: all spells, sword techniques, quest items (candle, glove, raft, boots, flute, cross, magic key, hammer), and heart and magic containers.
-Zelda Link to the Past: all hearts, all items... equipment besides bomb and arrow upgrades
-Zelda Majora's Mask: all permanent items (don't disappear after Song of Time... current run is missing area maps, dungeon maps, and compasses)
-Zelda: The Minish Cap, The Legend of: all items (regular boomerang can be skipped for magic boomerang), 3 bomb bag/quiver/wallet upgrades, light arrows, 20 hearts (all heart pieces and containers), all tiger scrolls/techniques, all joy butterflies, 130 figurines, and Tingle Trophy (all 100 kinstone fusions).
-Zelda Ocarina of Time: all hearts, upgrades, bottles, skulltulas, songs (note: I have no idea what to cut out if anything, maybe bottles or songs... songs show up in quest status though)
-Zelda: Twlight Princess, The Legend of: All hearts (heart pieces, heart containers), all upgrades, item screen complete (all items), collection screen complete (swords, clothes, shields), all poe souls, wallet, quiver, and golden bugs.
-Zelda: The Wind Waker, The Legend of: All hearts, all items  (figurines and charts not included), all upgrades, all songs, and hurricane spin
-Zombies Ate My Neighbors: max victims saved (552/553)
Visually Appealing
100%

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night:
- Alucard: all relics, best ending aka 196% map
- Richter and Maria: all bosses

actually, when it comes to Metroidvanias, that should probably be the standard. the regular character has to get all the abilities the game gives you, and get the best ending. the bonus character just has to beat all the bosses.

Mega Man X2: all items, all of Zero's parts

Mega Man X6 and X7: all items, all Reploids rescued

i have to ask something for Mega Man X8. the game doesn't count a lot of things towards 100%. it doesn't count what's bought at the shop and, by extension, the Ultimate Armors. Uyama decided to keep the ruling that the Ultimate Armors are part of 100%. i won't fight that. what i will ask, though, is if the parts that aren't character specific can be neglected. things like Sub Tanks, Metal Generator, and the Navigators.

i'm not sure why you're nixing those things for Lament of Innocence. they are abilities that the player uses. well, in Leon's case anyway. and don't you have to go into the rooms that have the items to get 100% map, anyway?
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Quote:
Kevin: hey i've never played mmx8
Kevin: does the game itself count percentage?
Uyama: yes
Uyama: people made up some other definition
Uyama: I forgot what it was
Kevin: satoryu said something about how you said ultimate armor was required even though there's a 100% by the game
Uyama: and it slid because I don't know why
Uyama: I forgot
Kevin: lol so if it's not you
Uyama: maybe I did say that
Uyama: and I'm stupid if I did
Kevin: you're cool with how the game says then
Kevin: at any rate
Uyama: but I wasn't even a mod back then

We'll go with what the game says. (This is what I think we should do in general anyway.)

About LOI: yeah, it's precisely because it's redundant that I'm scratching it. Does map completion cover all the other things? If not, what doesn't it cover? I agree with what you're saying for Metroidvanias.
Visually Appealing
Quote from Enhasa:
We'll go with what the game says.

you hear that, RokuGo? a 100% run is feasible on PC now. hop to it!

as for LoI, yeah, the map does cover everything.
Days in Pikmin games are an in-game measure of time, and hence not really suited for a low% definition.  The current Pikmin 1 low% run gets the absolute minimum number of pikmin (50) required to complete the game.  The current Pikmin 2 run shouldn't count as a low%, since it simply beats the game as fast as possible.
wise fwom yo gwave
I worked on sonic 2 100%, which was defined as collecting all emeralds and using only the in game time counter (not the bonus stages/bonus count ups at all).

Also for a while i worked on castlevania: bloodlines low% which was defined as collecting no sub weapons, weapon power ups, food, or "kill everything" items. Points were the only thing that were fine.
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2008-09-14 10:37:18 pm
Fucking Weeaboo
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood low%:
Richter only on the following path: Stage 0, Stage 1 (alt boss), Stage 2' (Oarsman Route), Stage 3' (alt boss), Stage 4' (normal boss), Stage 5, Stage 6, Stage 7, Final Stage.  Rescue no maidens.  Game Percentage 56%.

The oarsman route is needed to skip the boss of Stage 2', saving 4%.  Taking the alternate boss in Stage 3' is quicker.  Taking the normal route is likely faster with Richter (I haven't tested, but am pretty confident about).  But which boss you face doesn't matter, because it's the same percentage either way.

Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land/Kirby's Adventure Low%: No Switches.

I think the percentage is around 62%, but I'm not positive.  I'll look into this later.  But what's required is absolute.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror 100%: Game Defined. (Visit all rooms and open all large and small chests)

I'm not sure on what the minimum% is at this point.  I've done it in 36%, but I'm sure much lower is possible with lots of repeating large chunks of the game over and over (I.E no switches).  Would suck and definitely be longer then any%.

Mega Man 7 low%: No collectible items, other then boss weapons.  Rush Coil is auto given.  E/W/S tanks shouldn't count, but since they're expendable (and not counted towards 100%), they shouldn't count towards low% either.

ActRaiser 100%: Max Population (4652 people in the world).  I thought about making the gifts from the people part of it, but there's too much garbage amongst it.  Statues/Angel's Bows are expendable, wheat continually reappears, and the compass can give you 1 of 2 items.  So I have decided it shouldn't be part of the 100% definition.

Legend of Mana 100%: Complete all quests.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from stanski:
Also for a while i worked on castlevania: bloodlines low% which was defined as collecting no sub weapons, weapon power ups, food, or "kill everything" items. Points were the only thing that were fine.

Why wouldn't kill everything items be ok? They don't stay with you.
For Metroid: Zero Mission low%, would it be a bad idea to list the version-/difficulty-specific 9%?
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from kwinse:
For Metroid: Zero Mission low%, would it be a bad idea to list the version-/difficulty-specific 9%?

Well, it is listed on the speed run page, but yeah, should be added here too, as long as we're making a list.
The current RE: Director's Cut Arrange Mode runs should be listed as 100% as they go for the best ending. Looooooota difference between the best ending and any%.
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2008-09-15 03:53:51 am
100% for an Enclave run would be getting all gold in all the levels.
100% for Commandos Strike Force is completing all objectives and getting 5 stars in a level (Individual level runs).
100% in GUN would be completing all missions, digging all the gold, winning all Poker matches and buying all upgrades.
100% for Shadow Man is likely getting all 120 Dark Souls, all Cadeaux (For upgrades) and items.

These are the ones I can think of right now.
Quote from Satoryu:
Quote from Enhasa:
We'll go with what the game says.

you hear that, RokuGo? a 100% run is feasible on PC now. hop to it!

How exactly does that make it feasible? I won't be having any money because I can't do the glitch to buy stuff, and even if the game counts only what's unlocked (can't remember), not what you've bought, I would still be presented with some disadvantages because I can't buy stuff like Shock Barrier or whatever they are. What does the game count, anyway? Does it even count things like sub tanks? Angry

You'd still need to go to NG+ because of Zero's Sigma Blade, even if unlocking the armors isn't necessary... those things cost insane amounts of money, too, and I don't think there's any way to kill bosses faster than with Nova Strike. If I could rack up enough money to get the Ultimate Armor, that's another thing entirely, though.

Damn money glitch. Perhaps this discussion should be continued elsewhere?

Here are some future low% definitions:
Mega Man 8: Do not collect any bolts (and thus, don't buy anything)
Mega Man X5: Do not collect any items. Do not beat any bosses outside of the VIrus Levels. (Ie., no boss weapons). Suiciding for saving should be allowed (although it does increase boss levels).
Mega Man X6: The absolute minimum to beat the game is to unlock Zero, get one boss weapon so you can kill High Max and clear the game without rescuing any reploids or collecting any items.
Mega Man X7: Do not collect any armor parts, hearts or sub tanks or rescue any reploids. Boss weapons and the powerups you get from bosses are allowed because it's impossible to avoid those. Or at least I really, really hope this is the valid ruling.

And 100%:
Mega Man 8: Collect all 40 bolts
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee: Rescue all 100 mudokons
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus: Rescue all 300 mudokons

(I think it was 100 and 300, respectively, not too sure anymore. At any rate, rescue everyone)
@_@
A couple more future ones, I dunno if/when the runs will ever surface but we've at least debated and covered the definitions.

Paper Mario 100%: All Badges / Super Blocks
Paper Mario low%: 1 Badge (required Power Jump badge) / No Super Blocks
Everything's better with Magitek
Radix defined 100% for Final Fantasy VI as getting all characters and all espers.  You can read the discussion here.
I wish defeating the magi-master was included in that definition. Fight was SO epic =[
You got a deletion wish?
I may or may not attempt these but will throw these out there for future consideration.

Cool Spot (Genesis, don't know about other versions)
100: All 100 cool points in each stage (including in bonus stages?) and collecting U-N-C-O-L-A?  Not really sure here.

The Bouncer
low: no buying special moves or improving attributes for your character
100: max attributes and all special moves bought aka s-rank, I believe that's game-defined (note: not possible in one playthrough, would require I believe 2 new game +s; may not be possible to ss run that since you have to save after clearing the game and then reload it for extra game [new game with stats carried over hence ng+] unless we consider that as a forced reset)

The Simpsons: Hit & Run (planning route for any%)
100: defined in-game

The 100 definition for Sonic 2 would be the same for Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (for 3&K, all regular and super emeralds collected)
Everybody loves Hypnotoad!
Quote from Enhasa:
Zelda Majora's Mask: all hearts, upgrades, bottles, great fairy gifts, masks, songs, bombers' notebook (note: I have no idea what to cut out if anything, maybe bottles, songs, or bombers' notebook... last two show up in quest status though)

Nothing should be cut out.  In fact, of all Zelda games, MM, and only MM, has a really easy definition of 100%:  All items that don't disappear after playing the song of time.  This requires everything you listed, plus area maps, dungeon maps, and compasses.  Unfortunately, precedent is that those don't count, but that definition is so nice and simple that they really should be considered.  The only place it even makes a difference in the route is Stone Tower, as for all the others you pretty much have to go right by the map and compass while getting the stray fairies.

Low% is similar.  Get the fewest number of items that don't disappear after playing the SoT.  The only possible difference this makes is that the Scarecrow Song explicitly does not count as an item, but it's only used for a shortcut, anyways.
Visually Appealing
Quote from 65:
How exactly does that make it feasible? I won't be having any money because I can't do the glitch to buy stuff, and even if the game counts only what's unlocked (can't remember), not what you've bought, I would still be presented with some disadvantages because I can't buy stuff like Shock Barrier or whatever they are. What does the game count, anyway? Does it even count things like sub tanks? Angry

You'd still need to go to NG+ because of Zero's Sigma Blade, even if unlocking the armors isn't necessary... those things cost insane amounts of money, too, and I don't think there's any way to kill bosses faster than with Nova Strike. If I could rack up enough money to get the Ultimate Armor, that's another thing entirely, though.

Quote from Satoryu:
according to the game, you only have to collect the rare metals and capsules. in theory, you don't have to buy anything. the Sigma Blade, Ultimate Armors, and navigators do not contribute to what the game calls 100%.

this obsoletes the need to continue on to a NG+, so using the Ultimate Armors is out of the question.
Wait a second. I thought you needed to buy Sigma Blade for Zero, since he'll be at 95% without it. You know, the reason why you don't need to buff him up to 100% to get the Black Armor? I'll have to look into that.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2008-09-15 02:18:27 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from Essentia:
Radix defined 100% for Final Fantasy VI as getting all characters and all espers.  You can read the discussion here.

To clarify this, you need to replace Odin with Raiden (or is it the other way around? I forgot), and you need to choose the esper instead of the sword in Narshe.

Zero series: Getting 100% and ranks is a lot different Enhasa. Rank just an in-game evaluation, it doesn't take into account the items you can collect.

Zero 1: I think it would just be all Cyber elves.

Zero 2: All Cyber elves and forms, except for the ones you can only collect after you beat the game.

Zero 3: I don't remember this game too well, but I think it would be all of those chips you can collect for Cerveau.

Zero 4: I don't know, I don't care about this game enough  Undecided

Oh yeah, Metal Slug 1-X can have 100% runs, since there are no alternate paths until 3. 100% is rescuing every single prisoner.
Visually Appealing
Quote from 65:
Wait a second. I thought you needed to buy Sigma Blade for Zero, since he'll be at 95% without it. You know, the reason why you don't need to buff him up to 100% to get the Black Armor? I'll have to look into that.

again, you don't have to buy anything. so you don't have to "level up" the characters either. everything on the R&D menu has no bearing on what the game's save file counts as 100%. it's just capsules and rare metals.

and you actually do need the Sigma Blade to get Black Zero.
In Metal Slug 1/X, don't prisoners spawn when you take a long time fighting bosses?
Neither does invincibility in contra but it wasn't used, so I just assumed the same would be true (i remember i asked you about it al ong time ago when i was still working on bloodlines). I guess the same would go for food then too, though i don't know why you would stop for food in a speedrun.

Quote from mikwuyma:
Quote from stanski:

Why wouldn't kill everything items be ok? They don't stay with you.