Sad
<- 1  -   of 33 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Metroidvanias are God Tier
Edit: Nvm I have decided to bring up the category discussion in the SDA discussion subforum.
I had done a concept run using a little of the corner boosting on the original a couple weeks ago. I thought I had posted here about it then, but apparently I forgot. It was meant to help get ideas going and to get input. Jman got it when he streamed a couple days ago.

I know Jman was going through a bunch of spots where the corner clipping would potentially be useful. One more spot I remember trying is in the Graveyard of Giants at the entrance to the Tower of Ruin. On the top right there is a "sloped" ceiling and a fuzzball going toward it. The only way I thought of clipping into it would be to take damage from the fuzzball (it moves really slow) and then get hit at the right spot when your invulnerability wore off. I never got it to work, but theoretically it would take you into the area with the grenades.
Alright on the subject of the 100% inventory thing based on the feedback I got in the SDA discussion I'll let it go and we can have both categories.

@Solairflaire if I recall even if you get stuck in that wall you won't be able to jump all the way into the bombs room. I might be thinking of a different slop though, can you be more specific?

Edit: Nvm if see I'll do some testing and see if I can get it.
Hi, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to start running this game for myself.

Unless I'm getting confused with something else, you don't need the grapple claw to get the woman statue at all. You guys are thinking of the part where you have to push the pillar over and break open the wall, right? You can just jump into it without latching it and it'll fall over after a couple jumps if I remember correctly. I did it the other day.

Although since getting the claw only takes a couple seconds anyway I don't think skipping it would be that worth it.
Grapple claw will save time in many places in the run. It is completely skipable though if you are going for low%
Edit history:
UltraJMan: 2014-02-04 07:28:31 am
UltraJMan: 2014-02-04 07:15:55 am
It's time for some HEErooooOOOOHi cs!
Tonight I did a stream and uh...let's just say that a LOT was discovered for the classic original.

Number 1: We can't actually skip the Twin Statue, it's still required for getting into the Dimensional Corridor, even with the skull and talisman, the ladder will NOT lead to the corridor unless the center labyrinth puzzle has been solved

Number 2: HOWEVER, the Dragon Skull is 100% skippable in real time. It's tricky and even in single segment might require a save-load just to have health to viably do it and not get decimated. The method to accomplish this can be seen in the video below.

http://www.twitch.tv/megaultrajman/c/3664857

Number 3: This one's more just funny, but if you never fight the eyeball minibosses guarding the Shrine of the Mother/True Shrine, the ladder never appears and will completely softlock the ending. Leading to a rather hilarious alternate conclusion that uh...the ruins fall forever and you just live in it's walls like a champ. That can be seen in the vid below. This vid also has a tiny little time saver for a wall skip!

http://www.twitch.tv/megaultrajman/c/3664844

Number 4: I actually found this last time, but the Twin Labyrinths are entirely doable without the Twin Statue. There's no reason to do this however, as I said before it's required. The only reason to ever fully do the entire thing without is if you appreciate self inflicted torment or if you're doing a self imposed challenge run of the game under extreme conditions. I could make a video showcasing how to do this, however I'll likely pass unless there's a demand for it.

- Defeating Amphis comes earlier, it should happen as soon as the double jump is obtained but before revisiting the Confusion Gate
- Make a round through the Inferno Cavern (bottom, to top) obtaining spears and grabbing the Antarctic Adventure rom, warp back to Gate of Guidance and take care of Shu
- Viy should be defeated shortly afterwards, allowing access to the Tower of the Goddess
- Hit the grail point in the Tower, and go and defeat Sakit as you normally would, flooding the tower in the process
- Hit the grail point for Infinite Corridor because why not while you're here
- Fun part starts here! Wall glitch into the Twin Labyrinths (I'll do a video on this soon too, it can be seen in Tseralith's tas vids however)
- Purchase the lamp of time, and use it to defeat the annoying miniboss before Baphomet's room, head back down and go one screen left into the wall
- Jump up until you reach a Twinstatue block, jump twice, then turn right and jump on the same frame, glitch up through the floor and grab comic bakery
- go down the ladder, to the left and grab the ring, hit the dinos with flares while you're there. Defeat the enemies in the next room as normal
- Now, go back up to the room with the big face sword guys and the single witch, go right one screen, jump twice in the wall, then tap left and jump
- Going through the floor again brings you back to the ladder before the one teleporter that works. Take it and proceed to battle the miniboss one screen over and up as normal
- Unlock the scimitar/machete, then go down and left and deal with all the sorcerers in fake baphomet's room to do the waiting puzzle
- Respawn them, and utilize them to get into the wall on the right. THIS PART IS VERY TRICKY!!!
- Kill all the enemies, then proceed to the right as normal, obtain the scimitar/machete and go through the door and one screen right
- You're in the wall again, do two jumps, and tap left/jump to get stuck in the wall. Go up one screen, on the screen with the huge statue and single bat, get to the top right and walk right
- You're now at the Twin Labs mid point, SCAN THE GRAIL POINT! You're done here for now. Take a quick trip to obtain the endless key and then keyblade
- Using the Antarctic/comic combo to go back to the Goddess Tower, you can either climb normally or use Tseralith's tas damage boost. Both are roughly the same time if you're good at the boost
- Obtain the plane, do the pottery puzzle, and hit the statue face as normal, obtain the grenades and proceed with the route normally til you obtain the pochette key
- Obtain the charm on the way to unlocking Palenque
- Defeat Palenque and talk to Xelpud (there was some weird dialogue issues here last time,hopefully he tells you the correct info)
- Warp to backside Twin Labyrinths, go right and jump up. BE CAREFUL not to get hit out of the wall. Going up two screens brings you into the Shrine of the Mother
- Unlock the crystal skull and go down the ladder to get the rom for the knife combo, climb back up and obtain Shorn's Journal. WORK FAST AND GET BACK OUT BEFORE THE WALL FALLS
- Climb up into the Infinite Corridor, you will need to do a tricky corner boost (I'll do a vid soon) by attacking the eyeball mural to get inside, glitch yourself into the FAR RIGHT WALL by jumping and holding LEFT, once in the right wall just jump straight up
- Obtain the twin statue as normal
- NOW, go clear the Twin Labyrinths as normal, solving the center to obtain the ankh quicker and go defeat Baphomet
- DO NOT obtain the fake scanner OR Dragon Skull!!!
- Do the Dimensional Corridor as normal. Now the insanely tricky part
- Use the above method for getting the Death Seal in the True Shrine of the Mother
- Do the mantras as normal
- Repeat this method one more time and complete the game

This MAY only be faster in TAS. The effort to skip the Dragon Skull is far beyond what it needs to be, but done right saves a whopping 350 coins that would actually be out of the way with the skips done in Confusion Gate and onwards. This however is all possible in real time, just HEAVILY risky as even missing a single one of these boosts can spell death due to the quanity of them. I'm gonna do my damndest to stick to this route as much as possible as I truly believe this could be the fastest way through the game.

Things I still want to test include wall wrapping in Tower of Ruin and ESPECIALLY in Chamber of Birth, but I need help with both in all honesty. Tower of Ruin may not save any time at all and Chamber of Birth is so massive I haven't any idea where to begin.

Anyways, have fun guys! La-Mulana Classic just became a real speedrun it seems like! It's one HELL of a doozy... I'll be posting a full route once I wrap my head around this, most of the early game is still the same but mid game onward is a whole new ballpark.
Huh that's interesting that still works. Welp chalk down 350 coins
Edit history:
Solairflaire: 2014-02-05 04:29:38 pm
I did some looking at maps and some testing for the original. Here's a few things I came up with.

It's possible to do the old anchor skip with grenades instead of the lizard. There's a hole in the middle of that room that's perfect for it.

In the Chamber of Birth, in the Grail Point room is also the Perfume puzzle. You can shoot a shuriken at the wall where the Perfume is and it shoots lightning. There's an elephant statue in the top middle of the room you can corner clip into and this takes you to the room where you do the dance of life. Unfortunately, this won't skip flooding the tower because you need to do that to get the Plane Model. Also, you'll likely get only one shot cause it does a ton of damage.

In the Tower of Ruin, I was able to grenade clip where the exit to the Confusion Gate is. Unfortunately, I did it on a save that was basically done with the game so I don't know if anything can come from that since Shu was already defeated. I imagine this one will prove useless.

If you don't want to do all the skips in the Twin Labyrinth and still skip the Dragon Skull, you can grab the Twin Statue early like I did in my 1:44 and instead grenade clip into the Shrine of the Mother from the Extinction Chamber. It would need to be done twice though.

In regards to your route. Do the Twin Labyrinths early before Viy and do Amphis at the end of the game. This will give you the Comic Bakery Rom so you can just warp to the grail point in the Temple of the Moon for the anchor skip and again to the Confusion Gate when you want the Endless Key. No need to open the shortcut. This cuts out quite a bit of walking. I had to do the Lizard puzzle for the flywheel later in my 1:44 when I did this so I could get the Time Lamp back for the Bat miniboss because screw fighting that guy normally.

edit: I had also clipped up to where you need a mudman to hit a switch for the Perfume to see if Lemeza could hit the switch. Sadly, he cannot. Though I did find a random lightning spot up there in the middle that does less damage than the other one in the room.
Hi UltraJMan, Tseralith from tasvideos says man up and skip the twin statue in RTA already :p

Quote:
Nice to hear they've managed to find a way to skip the Dragon Skull in real time. The Twin Statues however actually can be skipped. The game only considers if you've cleared the mist in order to reveal the entrance to the Dimensional Corridor, and ignores whether you have the Statues or not. This can be achieved by reaching the Grail point by glitching up along the wall in the Katana room (with the help of the uncooperative skeletons, or any other means if it can be discovered) and along the wall in the room above. You then jump up to the top and go right through the wall and thus reach the Grail point. Then you just go right to place the first weight, warp back to the Grail point and then go left to place the second weight.

Despite taking this route, the game still keeps the first weight in memory since you're still in the Twin Labyrinth, though you must be able to activate the elevator at the Grail point first or else you'll be stuck in there. This room can be reached by glitching up the wall in Peryton's (left bird) room after you defeat him. The green witch in there is quite cooperative since she always shoot fireballs straight at you, though you'd have to time it right to get into the right spot since the fireballs aren't the fastest projectiles. Granted, I don't know whether this would save time compared to getting the Twin Statues and finishing the puzzle normally, but at least it's possible.
Edit history:
Tseralith: 2014-02-08 12:33:24 pm
Hey guys!
I hope you won't be mad at me for this, but in La-Mulana Classic I managed to find a way to both glitch into bottom right corners as well as acquiring the Magatama Jewel without the Mulana Talisman. So now I've found ways to collect the Crystal Skull, the Wedge (although I haven't made a movie of it yet) and the Magatama Jewel without getting the Mulana Talisman.
I think the Magatama Jewel will be the hardest to get though since you basically only have one frame and one pixel in order to glitch into the wall... and you need to use the Grapple claw so you'll be as close to the bottom as possible.

I wish you all good luck if you dare to attempt this!

Well, I can confirm it's about as hard as any of the other damage clipping in the game, at least when you have a good set up. How I did it was this:

- Stand just to the right of the ladder facing right. Have Lemeza's back against the ladder or a few pixels away.
- Throw grenade
- Grapple claw the left wall near the bottom.
- Time a drop off the wall and hold left so the grenade explodes at the proper moment.

For real time, Tseralith's video has a few extra inputs right before the grenade explodes, but should be sufficient for understanding the timing. This does take practice because of the grenade explosion. If anyone wants a video done in real time, I can make one.

I also tested how reasonable getting the Wedge would be and can say that getting Nu Wa into a pattern where he circles the Wedge without hitting you is hard. Once you get him in that pattern, it's actually easy to do. You just need to kill him while coming down from a jump that kills him. One question I have for you about this Tseralith. Is it possible to get the Wedge and not get clipped up into the ceiling?
Yes, it's possible, but the game won't make it easy for you. First off it should be easier if you have the increased invincibility roms active before you take a hit. Then you need to quickly reach one particular pixel before you jump and strike the last hit on Nu Wa. Right after you pick up the Wedge you need to walk right for at least one frame and then walk left before your invincibility ends. Have you done it right, you'll then fall down beside the damage shield instead of being stuck in the ceiling.

Here's the exact pixel you need to be on for this to be possible. Good luck with your attempts on this!
http://oi62.tinypic.com/2rgni29.jpg
So I've been testing with some wall skips and I found out that in the graveyard of giants warp room by the rock you can get stuck in the rock. I think it has something to do with the change between Ice and solid roofs. Nonetheless I was able to get into the right wall and I found the slanted corners in that area don't let you into them, instead they try and push you out. So as far as it looks to me, if we want bombs early we are going to have to try something new.
Edit history:
Solairflaire: 2014-02-10 12:53:57 am
Anonymous: That's unfortunate. I was kinda hoping it would be possible. That would explain why I've never gotten it.

I was messing with some other spots for corner clipping I'd thought of and discovered this gem. Sadly, it's not RTA friendly. I recorded for about 20 minutes before I got it. That skeleton just doesn't want to cooperate. Going all the way to the surface was just showing off because I thought it was kinda cool that you could just walk around on top of the area that opens up after you kill Oxhead and Horsehead. Otherwise this shows you can get into the small two screen section of the Inferno Caverns early.

Strangely enough, I think this would end up rather useless anyway since you can get to the same area by damage boosting from where the medicine is received and get into that area from there. Just come at it from the Tower of the Goddess. In fact, it's possible to get the Medicine without opening the wall there. I'm going to quote myself.

Quote from Solairflaire:
In the Tower of Ruin, I was able to grenade clip where the exit to the Confusion Gate is. Unfortunately, I did it on a save that was basically done with the game so I don't know if anything can come from that since Shu was already defeated. I imagine this one will prove useless.

If you do the grenade clip there at the bottom left, it's also possible to do another where there is that thin wall coming off the ceiling. You'll need to get close enough to the left wall so that the grenade explodes inside it instead of bouncing off while also making it so you can damage clip off it. It's rather precise on the positioning. This puts you in the room with the Succubus (the thing that paralyzes with hearts). You can then just do the Death and Birth mantras and come back from the Tower of the Goddess and clip into the medicine spot to acquire it.
It's time for some HEErooooOOOOHi cs!
http://www.twitch.tv/megaultrajman/c/3699605 sup guys! Here's my newer proof of concept, I didn't actually catch the twin statues thing til just now so uh...we can chalk that up as even MORE time saved. I'll be sure to include that in my next run as that's an awesome find! This run itself is a bit eh, but for a proof of concept I think it's fairly solid route wise barring the little mistakes. Let me know what you guys think.

I also want to know how or why the Ocarina appeared without having done the sleep puzzle, it actually legit confuses me but would be tremendous in saving a bit of health on that damage boost.
Phoenix
Regarding the Ocarina, I remember on my very first playthrough of the game that happened. I had the pregnant woman statue and was going to go finish the puzzle but the Ocarina was just sitting there without me having to sleep there. Whatever triggers it, it's not solving the puzzle on a previous playthrough because I had never solved it before.
Well, I did some tweaking with the new route for the remake & managed to nail a great time earlier tonight with a 1:47:33.7 -
http://www.twitch.tv/hiddendistance/c/3795229

Poor item fairy luck cost me somewhere around 30-35 seconds, and the invisible fish in the Tower of ruin glitched out, so I had to reset & redo the room.  Key fairy luck was fine, and the pattern Baphomet gave me was seriously good - on her phase 2, it was a quick 2 cycle kill & done.
Edit history:
Hitaka: 2014-02-27 05:13:25 pm
Hitaka: 2014-02-27 05:12:12 pm
Phoenix
HiddenDistance, you mentioned in your run the crash on Mother when she uses Sakit's attack, and apparently got trolled by it a few days ago. I sent you a PM on Twitch about it but I might as well post it here so everyone knows how to avoid that. I had the same problem, and it turns out it's caused by Steam Overlay. Disabling that or playing in offline mode fixes the crash.
That's definitely not accurate, as I don't play with the steam version of La-Mulana, nor do I run it through steam as another application.  It would be nice if there *was* a definitive fix for it though.

It's not a very common crash.  I was just nervous about it during that run because when I did a race on this last Tuesday it happened twice in a row... ahhh.. good times.
The game was performing poorly for whatever reason that night, and that was the culmination I suppose.
Edit history:
Hitaka: 2014-02-27 07:55:30 pm
Hitaka: 2014-02-27 07:54:20 pm
Phoenix
Huh. That's weird... I just assumed that's what you were using because you had the same crash I did which was fixed by messing with Steam. I wonder what causes it to crash in the same place on non-Steam versions.
Edit history:
tijit: 2014-03-03 01:20:36 am
hey not sure how behind the 8-ball i am on all this, im attempting an RTA of lm remake

you can skip 100 coins worth of pots and thunderbird money at the expense of a chakram, itll probably save several seconds

im wondering if this is known/is it worth the chakram/should you just collect *all* of the money and buy extra stuff later

edit: also goddamn is there a known way of stopping this from happening:

i was actually going to beat it in less than 2-hours for the first time....
Hi Tijit,

It is a known thing but with the re-routing changes to the remake, we've been getting that chest with an item fairy for huge $$, and also use the fairy to dupe chakrams, so you don't really wind up losing one there anyway.  If you're interested in the route changes, check out Naruminhai's run on youtube - I also linked my current best run above on twitch - which unless there's a time out there that's better & I'm unaware of, is currently WR time.  I did some tweaking of their route for a few things that I think are faster in the long run, and made some other changes/cuts to the run myself to definitively save time in a couple of places.

As for the crash on mother - Not really sure.  I know Th3schwartz was running the game on ver 1, and recently changed to 1.3.3.1 and has been experiencing the crash less; whether or not that had an effect I don't know.  I also run the game on 1.3.3.1 and I still get that crash, albeit rarely.
A way I found to beat that crash is to load up a save and fight her. After the crash happens the next time I load up the game it doesn't happen.
familiarising myself with the new route, so much cool stuff, i love the use of the gate of time and all the lamp exploits.

i doubt ill be able to contribute much to the route, but i noticed a couple of things in hiddendistances wr run:
-you use caltrops to kill both invisible kangaroos guys going up the tower of the goddess, use the flail whip on the 2nd one and use the extra caltrops elsewhere (i recommend the ladder right after picking up the fruit of eden to avoid damage from the boulder enemy, if you are worried about kamaitachi)
-use a shuriken to activate the flying subboss next to the stray fairy, could save a second or two
Hey all,

More tweaking, plenty of practice, and a lot of attempts & I've managed to hammer out a 1:47:03.3 in the La-Mulana Remake Any% run.
http://www.twitch.tv/hiddendistance/c/4035075

Quite a bit of time left to come out, I think my sum of bests is now sitting at a 1:44:XX - that would be a tall order to pull off with all the RNG involved, but I think I could easily do a 1:46:XX or even a 1:45:XX; luck permitting of course. 

Curry Time!

Edit:  Well, similar theme to this post, may as well not bother making another one.  New WR time for the remake:  1:45:28.1
http://www.twitch.tv/hiddendistance/c/4140111