--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
SDAVerification: 2021-06-23 12:06:21 pm
SDAVerification: 2016-09-20 12:53:23 pm
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Kid Chameleon (ntscus) (genesis/pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Large-skip glitches]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'TheWinslinator'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Kid Chameleon (ntscus) (genesis/pc) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/kidchameleon-20160901/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
Holy crow!  What the heck just happened?  I mean, it's an obvious accept from me, but is the category right?  Is this more "with Major Skips"?
Correct, this is a large skips run. It has been renamed in the database.
The route's well-optimised and executed as far as I can tell. The first half of BLW1 looks slower than optimal, but I believe this is to set up enemy timing for the run-bounce that saves time towards the end. BLW2 and Plethora look optimal, and no mistakes I can see (even minor ones) at any point. I haven't seen Micromax used in Plethora before, but the two-phase strategy is clearly faster (even in real time, despite the time spent transforming) than the older Red Stealth strategy that waits longer so it can get the job done in one phase.

A/V is good. It's an emulation but KC has had emulated releases on PC and VC (that's a whole lot of C...), so that shouldn't be an issue.

Accept
Thanks everyone Smiley just to address a few things:
Quote:
Correct, this is a large skips run. It has been renamed in the database.

Since 2011, the community for this game has referred to the Plethora Warp as Any%, but since you guys do things differently over here, would you like me to re-encode the run, such that the title card reads "Major Skips"?

bmn, I'll go ahead and expand upon my run notes a bit to address the reason for the slowdown in BLW1 (your assumption is correct), and also to point out some minor mistakes people may not have noticed.
Formerly known as Skullboy
Video is fine. Audio is fine too but unfortunately ugly to hear due to whatever emulator the game was being ran on. Which compilation was this on?

I've never beaten the game but I am familiar with the different paths that can be taken through. The play is good and the runner has a good method for dispatching with Plethora. SDA time puts this more in the 1:32 range if I timed it correctly (timing would start when you start moving the main character in Blue Lake Woods I and end when hitting the flag in Plethora)

I accept this run for publication. Hopefully we'll get some fuller categories of this game here too soon.
Quote:
Since 2011, the community for this game has referred to the Plethora Warp as Any%, but since you guys do things differently over here, would you like me to re-encode the run, such that the title card reads "Major Skips"?

Whether the statID says "with large skips" or not doesn't change anything about your run. "any%" has traditionally been used on SDA to indicate the completion percentage (such as "low%" and "100%"), but it's correct that many people use any% these days for the "no-holds-barred" category. Anyways, your run will be labeled on the SDA game page as "with large-skips". So in that context, it would of course look better with a matching statID, but it's not a big deal.

I took a look at the run itself, by the way. It looks excellent from what I can see. Just like the run comments state, there was nothing that stood out as mistakes or that otherwise appeared to be improvable. The audio recording isn't ideal (assuming it's not the game itself?), but within the range of acceptable.

Easy accept
Quote:
unfortunately ugly to hear due to whatever emulator the game was being ran on. Which compilation was this on?

It was on the Sega Smash Pack II version, which was made in 2000. I did this because I've grown up (and am miles better) playing this game on keyboard, which means I could've also used the Steam version. Problem with that is, the sound emulation isn't any better, and it appears to lag more when my computer is doing a lot at one time. SSP2 being an older application surprisingly lags way less. And yes, the audio differences are solely from the emulation; the HQ audio is at 120.343 Kbps, according to Yua.
Quote:
SDA time puts this more in the 1:32 range if I timed it correctly (timing would start when you start moving the main character in Blue Lake Woods I and end when hitting the flag in Plethora)

I am familiar with this rule, but not exactly how it's timed. According to RAM data, the first frame a movement can be executed happens to be the first frame the level begins to fade in (and not when the player's feet touches the ground, like in many other platformers). If it's timed from then to when the flag is captured, the new time appears to be 1:32.31
Quote:
it would of course look better with a matching statID

As mentioned above, if we decide to convert this to SDA timing, it should also reflect that in the StatID. I'll go ahead and submit an encode with the altered statID if it is agreed the new time I calculated is correct. In any case, when I upload this run to YouTube, I'll probably use the current StatID as most people are familiar with the category name "Any%" and timing from pressing "Start One". I'll of course mention what the SDA-converted time is in the description.
Decision posted.