List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

PAL run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: The run seems good, no quality problem or anything except a weird sound in 44:45
Verifier: He got lost somewhere around the end, searching for the exit, but it's not a signifiant waste of time. Beside that, no other useless waste of time. The gameplay was good / great.
Verifier: Maybe he could get better on the 1st person shooter parts, he missed a lot of ammo there. But still, it's understandable because the game runs at like 3 frame/second
Verifier: Decision: Accept
[18:47] Mike: http://speeddemosarchive.com: fair enough
[18:47] Mike: http://speeddemosarchive.com: and yeah I remember those fps sections being soooo bad
[18:47] Mike: http://speeddemosarchive.com: well actually
[18:47] Mike: http://speeddemosarchive.com: I was nine
[18:47] Mike: http://speeddemosarchive.com: so I thought they were the coolest thing ever
[18:48] Mike: http://speeddemosarchive.com: but even back then I knew they were choppy (note: I was not a verifier, I never beat the game)

Quote:
Verification:
- video/sound quality & Sync: the quality is good, no desync.
- cheating: no cheating
- Check for consistency between saves: It's a Single Segment run.
- Endtime:
I begin to count from 00:06 (Start) – 1:05:44 (Black Screen) So the (my) Endtime is 1:05:38

- Skill quality: the run is acceptable. He made not many mistakes. I thought sub hour is possible, but I can’t imagine that there is much space left for a improvement. Good SS run!

My result: Accept.

Quote:
No cheating or technical problems, but there was a giant black border around the video that seemed bigger than even a PAL version should be, though maybe I'm not familiar with enough SNES PAL. No deaths that I spotted but I have to admit I kinda zoned out after the first five minutes.

The planning and route seems decent enough but the execution leaves something to be desired. Missed shots, jittery movement. 90 seconds into the run he fails to pick up something off the ground because he was standing in the wrong place, and then shortly after loses a few seconds because he missed a switch shot and had to turn around and shoot it again. This sort of thing persists throughout the run, especially in the first-person sections, lots of missed shots and wasted time there. I couldn't make any sense out of the runner's decision to ignore damage for speed sake or stop and kill enemies, it seemed arbitrary at times but I can probably let that go.

Verdict: It's not completely awful, but I don't think I can accept this without some execution cleanup. If you need more details I can provide them.

I did want details since the other verifiers accepted the run.

Quote:
Verifier: Sent you my decision on that JP run, if you want more details I can provide them but honestly it's just too clumsy to accept
[12:02] <jewyama> yeah I'd like some more details
Verifier: Yeah I'm watching the first part of it again and there's so many times when he's walking diagonally and fucks it up somehow
Verifier: Or moves up when he should have moved down
Verifier: etc
Verifier: really simple maneuvering errors that I would have restarted for
[12:10] <jewyama> so it's not just the fps segments
Verifier: I counted at like 6 of them just in the first minute
[12:10] <jewyama> which I heard are like slide shows
[12:10] <jewyama> oh wow that's not good
Verifier: Yeah his route looks ok though I admit I haven't really tried to sit down and figure it out
Verifier: I don't think it warrants it with how sloppily he's moving around, sadly
Verifier: At 1:16 in he bends down to pick up an egg but he's standing in the wrong spot so he had to adjust and do it again
Verifier: trying to find the part where he misses the switch shot, hold on
Verifier: yeah at about 4:22 he has to shoot a switch but he misses the shot and has to adjust and do it again, costs like a second and a half
Verifier: It's the kind of thing that should just be automatic
Verifier: There was a time later on when he's doing one of the fps segments and it felt like he was adjusting his aim for way too long before shooting
Verifier: considering his target wasn't even moving that's too much
Verifier: Does that help?
Verifier: At 47:20 he whiffs a bola shot on two dinosaurs and has to shoot them individually with rockets
Verifier: even though they're holding still
Verifier: then does it 2 more times right afterwards
Verifier: either bad aim or taking too long to aim
Verifier: for stationary targets
Verifier: shitty fps or not it looks really bad
[21:40] <jewyama> I watched the jp run a bit, I'm not really seeing a whole lot of movement errors aside from those two you mentioned
[21:40] <jewyama> is there a section with a lot of errors?
[21:41] <jewyama> I noticed the runner was conservative during some of the fps scenes
[21:41] <jewyama> but I have no idea how damage works there
Verifier: I just mean his movement in general
Verifier: Like there's parts where he's moving diagonally and just makes dumb little mistakes
Verifier: Like not going far enough or going way TOO far
[21:48] <jewyama> okay it's just that the other two verifiers accepted
[21:51] <jewyama> so I'm trying to see where you're coming from
[21:51] <jewyama> I'll look at the run some more later

I still thought the verifier was possibly being too picky until...

Quote:
Verifier: 0:18-0:22, moves too far right for no reason I can see. 0:30 he jitters for no reason instead of continuing to move in a straight line, 0:36 and 0:38 as well. 0:56 he moves up after picking up the egg even though he needs to go down and right. 1:15 he fails to pick up an egg because he's standing in the wrong spot. This is all easy shit that should not be happening at all, let alone how often it's happening. 2:20 he swings a bit wide around
Verifier: Ok neve rmind about the one at 0:20 it's to shoot a raptor, but the rest still stands.
Verifier: Yeah. I just did a test run in an emulator.
Verifier: I get to the stairs at 0:42 two seconds faster, and I haven't even played this game for a second.[09:43] Verifier: 2 seconds ahead 40 seconds into the run, and I haven't played in years. His movement is shit, I'm sorry.
Verifier: a second = a decade
Verifier: I can send you a side-by-side comparison if you want. I just realized I even made an error in my route.

Verifier: http://mikwuyma.quandra.org/jptest-v.avi

Verifier: The audio is a bit off sync, but not enough to account for two seconds of difference.
Verifier: So actually the movement to shoot the raptor is unneccessary, but the whole 'move up after a pickup' thing seems to be an oddity with the control scheme that I had forgotten, so that can be ignored.
Verifier: If you wanna discuss it more we can talk about it after class but I think that me being able to shave 2 seconds off the first 40 after playing it for 10 minutes just screams 'needs more practice'.
[21:37] <jewyama> and thanks for showing me this video
[21:38] <jewyama> it really shows what you meant
[21:38] <jewyama> err
[21:38] <jewyama> what you were trying to tell me
Verifier: Yeah I figured it would only help you understand what I was talking about and it took me like ten minutes to do
Verifier: Though after playing the fps sections again I think I can be slightly more forgiving on those parts, I forgot how shite the controls were for accuracy
Verifier: Though I still say he hasn't practiced it enough, because the routes are 90+% predictable, and that's being generous
Verifier: The only things that should affect it are that some of the dinosaurs are moving around but a LOT of them are stationary, either entirely or until you get too close

Decision: Reject

Reason: Too many sloppy mistakes and movement errors.

The run is available upon request until July 6th, PM me.
Thread title:  
(user is banned)
- I: hm, in the video from the verifier, did he use NTSC version? Is there any difference between the NTSC and the PAL version?
I also admit it would need more work and I don't opposite the rejection

Mike :
you mean oppose the rejection?

- I: lol, yes
I noticed a major difference between the 2 screens, at the middle of the video one of them kills the raptor to go diagonally instead of the runner who goes down instead, no bullet wasted
I agree that the runner has work to do, but I don't think the video shows the real reason why the video is rejected

Mike :
fair enough
you can post your thoughts if you want

- I: plus, someone should time the difference between going diagonally down or straight down
in most games, going diagonally makes you go as fast downward as just going downward
you can see the runner going a bit diagonally to kill the first raptor, but if his downward speed is jsut the same, he would lose no time that way
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
mike, was the runner contacted? their response is missing, or maybe they are Cheesy
Yeah, I contacted the runner via email.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
I know this is off-topic, but what do you store at archive.org?  You don't store rejected runs there, right?  Do you store all obsolete runs, or only certain ones if any?
Edit history:
ZdadrDeM: 2009-06-07 05:02:42 am
Quote from gia:
mike, was the runner contacted? their response is missing, or maybe they are Cheesy

Hi,

yes, Mike contacted us.
At the moment we're writing a response.  Smiley
Hi guys,
sad to hear that to run was not accepted Sad  , but okay will do a better one the next time.
Just read through the verifier opinions and now try to explain why things happened like they did.

First of all i want to say sth. to the fps segments.

A lot of you guys complained about the aiming inside the buildings. Ok you are right, its not that good all the time, especially on the last part on the ship it was really bad. But it is not that easy to aim with that snes controller and the low frames inside the building so it happened that i had to adjust my positioning very often at some parts. Sorry for that, but i just can say how it is, and it its not easy^^

Quote:

I couldn't make any sense out of the runner's decision to ignore damage for speed sake or stop and kill enemies, it seemed arbitrary at times but I can probably let that go.

Yeah i guess there were about 3 or 4 dinos in the run i could have skipped. But i dont think i killed way to much dinos. The compys on the mountain for example, they are just annoying if you dont kill them. They will cost you more time in  the run by hitting you all the time you cross the mountain to the ship and back than the time to kill them if you have the chance to and they are in a good position.

Quote:

Verifier: yeah at about 4:22 he has to shoot a switch but he misses the shot and has to adjust and do it again, costs like a second and a half
Verifier: It's the kind of thing that should just be automatic

Yeah thats true shouldnt happen in a run. Will not happen again, i promise Wink But tbh it was the first time i missed it on that day, unfortunatly in that part Sad But i thought it will be okay if i dont get hit that often by the compys on the mountain than in all the other tries, so i decided to stay at that run.

Quote:
Verifier: At 47:20 he whiffs a bola shot on two dinosaurs and has to shoot them individually with rockets
Verifier: even though they're holding still
Verifier: then does it 2 more times right afterwards
Verifier: either bad aim or taking too long to aim
Verifier: for stationary targets

As i said above, the aiming in this part was a bit fucked off. Sure most of the targets are stationary but that dont mean it is easy to aim at them, it always can happen that you turn a little bit too far and than you have to adjust again.

Quote:

Verifier: 0:18-0:22, moves too far right for no reason I can see. 0:30 he jitters for no reason instead of continuing to move in a straight line, 0:36 and 0:38 as well. 0:56 he moves up after picking up the egg even though he needs to go down and right. 1:15 he fails to pick up an egg because he's standing in the wrong spot. This is all easy shit that should not be happening at all, let alone how often it's happening. 2:20 he swings a bit wide around

This will now sound like a lame excuse for the bad movement but believe me, some of the jittering just depends on the controller.
Most of not walking straight happened cause of that, not cause i wanted it to.
I dont want to excuse all of the jittering with the controller, ofc not, but some of them are,  believe me.

If you got any further questions why we did things the way we did feel free to ask. We will respond asap.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from ev0lol:
This will now sound like a lame excuse for the bad movement but believe me, some of the jittering just depends on the controller.
Most of not walking straight happened cause of that, not cause i wanted it to.
I dont want to excuse all of the jittering with the controller, ofc not, but some of them are,  believe me.

I used that excuse on my zombies ate my neighbors run, thats why I wondered about your response. should have seen my first attempts on that controller, it looked like a drunk guy, hated how i had to hold the tip of the arrow to get a clean input..
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
I know this is off-topic, but what do you store at archive.org?  You don't store rejected runs there, right?  Do you store all obsolete runs, or only certain ones if any?

All accepted runs are posted on archive, this includes obsoleted ones.

The controller: If your controller is really that bad, then you should probably buy a new one.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
it's more like the runner not accustomed to it, keyboard gives cleaner input