Sad
<- 12345 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Invisible avatar
Dave has quite a stunning trick up his sleeves. I'm not gonna tell the details, but I'll say it's very, very sick and it saves a TON of seconds.
'Tis the newb.
Sweet. I suppose its hard to get right though?
The Dork Knight himself.
well I've gotten my time down to around 2:35 on yavin_trial, found a nice little time saver. just in case it's the same thing Dave is using, I won't spoil it Smiley
Well, the timesaver you found was an obvious flaw on your last try, but I won't be visiting that room anyway. We're looking at a 1:20 - 1:30 finish here, not 2:30.
'Tis the newb.
Thats one helluvah shortcut  Shocked
The Dork Knight himself.
one helluva shortcut indeed, can't wait to see what it is
The Dork Knight himself.
while you work on that trick, let me know what time you're lookin at for ns_hideout and I'll see what I can turn up.

I'm gonna setup an ftp server at my house for all the saves we'll be using for the lvls, make it easier to sync up what we're doing. I'll pm the details once it's hooked up
I'm not working on that trick right now, I'm in too good a mood lately to ruin it with something like that.

As for ns_hideout, there aren't any route changes I can think of. You have to visit Lando in order to get the password for the door (Kyle guesses Reelo when you don't visit Lando and gets killed)and there isn't any other path to this part of the level. I use a faster method to climb the central room, but that's it. The rest is just smoothing things out. I'll also save before the Battle as I plan on significiantly imporving it.

If you can think of any other tricks or shortcuts I'm interested to hear them.
Edit history:
Blazen: 2007-06-30 12:40:03 pm
'Tis the newb.
That sounds cool, nice to know you're in a good mood Wink

I'll go look for any signifigant shortcuts.

Edit: Well, I hate that level. I always ended up charging through a door and flying off the edge >.<

The battle scene isint too hard, just gotta not let them go astray.
Looks like this got abandoned? Darn, was looking forward to this one Cry
According to page 3 he's going to pick it back up in summer 2009. Looking forward to it too, this looks amazing.
It's about as abandoned as it has been from the start. I'm trying to dedicate a few hours to this next week but really, this thing gets done when and if it gets done at all.
SDA Making the impossible possible, today.

http://thps3.net/JKII/yavin_trial_109.avi

Apparently it is possible after all to save on the pillar without being immediatly squished on loading.

Also http://thps3.net/JKII/Seg9a_WIP.avi
The Dork Knight himself.
Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

why didn't I think of that???
Wow. Am now very happy Wink

Forgive my ignorance, but is that the normal-play route you take to talk to Lando the first time? I seem to remember it being much longer but I don't see any skips.
The Dork Knight himself.
From what I recall that is the normal route to get to him. The skip doesn't come until he gets to the upper level. Usually you have to go through one of the garbage compactors an then around a ways until you make your way up top (in fact it's been so long I can't even remember the intended route to get up there heh). The new way up top though is very nice, almost as if it was intended for the player to go that way.
It is not the usual route to Lando. The crate I destroy with a lightsaber throw usually has to be shot from a window high up. The old run hit it by using the E11s horrible aim to destroy it. In fact, that gun is SO inaccurate that the BEAMS OF LIGHT can BEND around under certain circumstances, and so in fact I can hit the explosive barrel behind the crate by shooting AROUND it without having a clean line of sight.
Semi-retired FPS expert
That's awesome! I just watched both the original and Jedi Academy again, and they both don't seem to lend themselves to speedrunning as well as JO. You got 2 more major sequence breaks here! Hope you can find more time to spend on this game.
Yeah this run is insane and you're awesomely skilled. I'll be sad if it dies.
Invisible avatar
You know my opinion on the segments all too well LL, so I'll just add I'm glad I've been bugging you to do this for months ;).
The Dork Knight himself.
hey, found a few console cvars that you might find interesting

cg_bobroll "0"            //putting the bobroll, runroll, etc etc, to 0 stops your view from swaying while walking running
cg_bobpitch "0"        //although your screen still tilts when you take damage
cg_bobup "0"
cg_runroll "0"
cg_runpitch "0"
cg_crosshairSize "32"  //changes crosshairsize, default is 24
cg_dynamicCrosshair "0"  //putting this to 0 stops the crosshair from moving around on your screen if your shot will hit something in the way
cg_crosshairIdentifyTarget "1"  //default 1, set to 0 stops the crosshair from turning green/red when targetting a friend/foe

cg_fov  //default is 80, standard for a lot of games is usually 90, I prefer 117 as it helps when strafe running around a lot of people/objects

The only one there I can think of that someone might shout cheat would be cg_fov simply because nefarious people can make zoom scripts with it. However, since none of these cvars are locked down as read only or requiring cheats to be on to change them, I say have at it. The most useful ones are probably turning off the dynamic crosshair and getting rid of the screen bob while running.
I say leave them alone. The run will look worse to normal people if we see that settings we didn't know existed have been messed with and the game looks distinctly different to how we think it should. If changing these things could actually speed the run up, sure, but before doing it for your own ease of play bear in mind the effect it will have on how people perceive the finished product.

Maybe others will disagree though. I tend to be in favour of 'straight out of the box' runs - ones that allow you to maintain the conceit that someone could install the game and just play through it straight away as shown in the run, no prep messing around with variables or binding to little-known commands via the console or options ini file or any of that kind of nonsense.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
No console settings, please. Once you start messing with the console, no one will ever believe you did everything legitimately.
The Dork Knight himself.
I know he's not going to use the fov cvar simply because of how different the game looks, but how does changing the crosshair size and making sure it stays put in the center of the screen make the run seem non-legit? Probably the most annoying aspect of this game, especially when it comes to speedrunning, is the fact that the crosshair jumps around while you're trying to aim. As if hitting someone with inaccurate weapons isn't hard enough, having to compensate for the weapon AND the crosshair can ruin a segment in a heartbeat. And in my eyes the crosshair is a tad too smalll and hard to see during heavy firefights, so making it a bit bigger helps. As for the view bobbing, I actually forgot those were in the options menu to disable or enable. I just had a hard time getting it to stay off unless I manually set them in my cfg file.

Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
I say leave them alone. The run will look worse to normal people if we see that settings we didn't know existed have been messed with and the game looks distinctly different to how we think it should. If changing these things could actually speed the run up, sure, but before doing it for your own ease of play bear in mind the effect it will have on how people perceive the finished product.

Maybe others will disagree though. I tend to be in favour of 'straight out of the box' runs - ones that allow you to maintain the conceit that someone could install the game and just play through it straight away as shown in the run, no prep messing around with variables or binding to little-known commands via the console or options ini file or any of that kind of nonsense.

I know what you mean with the out of the box thing, but the game already doesn't look the same as most people know it simply because LLCoolDave had to fuglify the graphics to get his system to record properly. Just be glad I didn't suggest he try using simple items for the powerups/weapons, then we'd be in serious trouble Smiley
Cigar Man
Yeah, Jedis are the shit.  If I were a Jedi, I would thrust my lightsaber into all the Twileks and then Darth Maul on that ass!