Sad
<- 12345 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
The Dork Knight himself.
I was looking over artus_detention, and I do have a suggestion for the beginning. when you're releasing the prisoners, instead of always going left at the top of the stairs (where you run into the most stormtroopers) try going the other way. going right avoids the bulk of the stormtroopers for that area, so you'll only have to deal with maybe 3 before reaching the door. too bad there's no way to just skip the prisoners altogether, they suck
Those prisoners are for from being a problem, I can avoid them altogether in most cases. I might try to find a faster reliable route going right in the second to last floor.

In any case, do you think there's any reasonable improvement you could make to the first 3 levels? If not, I'm going to finnish artus_detention up this weekend, either by getting a better time I like or by sticking with 5:33 and we can see who can get a better time on artus_topside. Got some nice ideas I have yet to test.
The Dork Knight himself.
at this point in time I doubt there's any reasonable improvements I can make on the first levels. I say try to finish up detention this weekend, then hit me up with your saves, no point in me trying to make improvements to times if I'm constantly playing catch up and with vastly different stats (weapons, health, etc)
LLCoolDave uses Shovel on Topic

http://thps3.net/JKII/artus_detention_533.avi

Yeah, it took me ages to post this, I'm sorry. I told you this was a long time project. I still don't like this segment, but I'm not sure Icould do better. If there aren't any objections to keeping it, I'll just continue and take it as it is.
Speed is the key.
That was very nice. I liked the clever use of explosives in the second half. Grin
http://thps3.net/JKII/seg5sample.avi

Okay, this is a short sample of artus_topside.

There's three things I'll hopefully improve for the final run:

-The cannonfight at the start took slightly longer than usually because apparently some troopers got stuck in the left door and didn't rush out at the timing I'm used to.
-Didn't properly get onto the second cannon. Ugh.
-Had to stay on it longer than I wanted to because the AT-ST shot a rocket right at the door, so I had to stay out of reach in order not to take too much damage.

Other than that, if you see anything that could or should be improved, please tell me.
Invisible avatar
Improvable by around 5 seconds, but very nice nevertheless. I love the strafejumping, sick.
Got 7 more seconds off that. And I also madea quick yavin_temple while I'm at it. All videos can be found in the status post on page 3. If there's any quirks with any of the 3 segments I posted today I'll go fix them. Yavin_trial will take some planning and training to do, anyway.
Invisible avatar
Nice artus_topside segment! Very good strafejumping and an overall better performance. Too bad for one or two minor stucks, but that's unavoidable I think, so great job on it Smiley
I've yet to watch yavin_temple, right now I'm gonna coop in Serious Sam, so later Smiley
Speed is the key.
Looks great. Wink
Expect a sub 1:30 for Yavin_Trial, meaning around 80 seconds saved. It will likely take several weeks, though.
Quote:
It will likely take several weeks, though.

Or Months. I have no clue when I'll get this shortcut done, it might take severeal more months. There's absolutly no reliability on any part of it, and I have yet to find a spot where saving would help. As health and shield are refilled for ns_streets anyway, I can skip this and finish it at some later time. I'm definitly not motivated to try more right now. I'll just start working on ns_street from now on and just pray that I'll get this shortcut done sometime this year or at least within a year.
Speed is the key.
Take your time, the final product will be worth it.  Wink
ns_streets was much more fun to do than trying that horrible shortcut I found on yavin_trial. 1:51, link on page 3. If there's any suggestions for improvements, please let me know. I'm looking into ns_hideout now.
Speed is the key.
ns_streets looked optimal, I don't see how you can break down this level any more than you already have. Good job.
Invisible avatar
Quote:
ns_streets looked optimal, I don't see how you can break down this level any more than you already have. Good job.

According to what he said on IRC, he already did after I bitched he had a non-smooth part in the level Tongue
Edit history:
YautjaElder: 2007-06-16 11:11:28 pm
Speed is the key.
Quote:
According to what he said on IRC, he already did after I bitched he had a non-smooth part in the level Tongue

I guess I'm not that picky then. : P

I thought it looked incredible, then again, I've never even tried strafejumping in this game, I just played it through the usual way.
Well, saved another 4 seconds. This level is pretty damn random for the biggest part. I also got the detpacks I need for bespin, so I can skip those in ns_hideout.
evil does it
I'm glad to see that this run is still active  Cheesy

Great looking segment, very well executed  Shocked
The shortcut at the end is fantastic!!
The Dork Knight himself.
wow, nice shortcut on ns_streets. good to see you're still workin on this.

sorry I haven't been able to help, real life sucks. I'm trying to get back into this though, so hopefully I won't be too useless heh.

any chance you could upload your saves and link them with the times you post? maybe I could take a look at yavin_trial and see how I fare at it.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2007-06-23 04:29:28 am
The Dork Knight himself.
what shortcut do you plan on using for yavin_trial? I've been dragging over the entire map and the only possible ones I can find are these:

skip the moving bridge and jump the chasm(with water underneath, normally requires force speed)

somehow get to the door in the force pull task w/o pulling out the wall tiles

or to skip the first tasks by somehow climbing the wall in the beginning ("I think there used to be stairs here," spot where you first really use force jump)

other possibilities: somehow grab the lightsaber earlier than you're supposed to. I've tried this before it was raised to the upper room, ran right up to the pillar but couldn't find any spot (not even a pixel or two big) that allows you to grab the saber. once I got to the final room I even tried walking all over the thing searching for any hole the devs didn't seal up, but couldn't find any

as long as this shortcut doesn't involve weapons of any kind this segment can actually be done completely outside of the normal run. Like you said, you get full health for ns_streets anyway, you also don't need any guns/ammo to beat the lvl either

*edit*
actually, if you can find out how to destroy the last door lock without the lightsaber you can finish the lvl without even having to grab the lightsaber. the two stones you normally have to cut down can have the strings cut with explosives (I used therm dets) which will open the door for you.
Quote:
what shortcut do you plan on using for yavin_trial? I've been dragging over the entire map and the only possible ones I can find are these:

skip the moving bridge and jump the chasm(with water underneath, normally requires force speed)

somehow get to the door in the force pull task w/o pulling out the wall tiles

or to skip the first tasks by somehow climbing the wall in the beginning ("I think there used to be stairs here," spot where you first really use force jump)

other possibilities: somehow grab the lightsaber earlier than you're supposed to. I've tried this before it was raised to the upper room, ran right up to the pillar but couldn't find any spot (not even a pixel or two big) that allows you to grab the saber. once I got to the final room I even tried walking all over the thing searching for any hole the devs didn't seal up, but couldn't find any

as long as this shortcut doesn't involve weapons of any kind this segment can actually be done completely outside of the normal run. Like you said, you get full health for ns_streets anyway, you also don't need any guns/ammo to beat the lvl either

*edit*
actually, if you can find out how to destroy the last door lock without the lightsaber you can finish the lvl without even having to grab the lightsaber. the two stones you normally have to cut down can have the strings cut with explosives (I used therm dets) which will open the door for you.

I don't think the lightsaber coor locks can be opened with anything but the lightsaber, so skipping it is out of question. I know about the bridge skip, but that saves a few seconds at best. Climbing the Force Pull room isn't possible, either, and I never found a way to climb the main room, it wouldn't be useful anyway, no way to finish the level without force jump, force pull and force push from that point on.

This pretty much just leaves a single option...

http://thps3.net/JKII/seg7a_43.avi That's the first half of the level.
Edit history:
dex: 2007-06-23 04:49:02 pm
Invisible avatar
Man, next segment looks pretty good, but that mistake near the barrel looked so damn unsmooth, maybe you can cut a second or more from it, or AT LEAST make it look properly! You can do it a lot smoother, some parts weren't done perfectly...

(don't ask)
'Tis the newb.
I had a look through the level, and I also couldn't find any shortcuts. Im a great fan of this game, and an improved speed run would be great to see.

Like everyone else said, take your time on this. Its clearly one of the harder to run games, and even after a lot of planning, its still tough.

I wish you luck!
The Dork Knight himself.
so far the best time I've gotten for yavin_trial is about 2:39. granted there are a few minor errors in it, but considering the original was done pretty well, there isn't too much that can be improved on this map besides just cleaner playing.

don't mind the audio not being synced, that's a problem on youtube's end. from what my bad math tells me, I shaved off about 10 seconds from the original run