<- 12345678 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
The Dork Knight himself.
http://thps3.net/JKII/Seg9a_WIP.avi

That's the last one I can find. I could've sworn that he did the level after that but I can't find the footage (or it just never existed).

Anyway, now that you have the lightsaber, here's an interesting trick I found while messing around: If you get into a forced convo, start rubbing the saber against a wall/floor. I'm not sure how it works, but it bypasses anyone talking as if the convo is already done. The best place is when you get to Lando's ship. Stand on the right elevator against the wall and start spinning your mouse against the wall. I wasn't able to use it on bespin_streets when you meet up with the resistance, but I also didn't try hard enough (was gettin shot at by about 8 guys).
Might be magic...
Thanks - wow he did the first half of ns_hideout so quickly... it's a shame he didn't get to complete the entire run.

Quote from honorableJay:
Anyway, now that you have the lightsaber, here's an interesting trick I found while messing around: If you get into a forced convo, start rubbing the saber against a wall/floor. I'm not sure how it works, but it bypasses anyone talking as if the convo is already done. The best place is when you get to Lando's ship. Stand on the right elevator against the wall and start spinning your mouse against the wall. I wasn't able to use it on bespin_streets when you meet up with the resistance, but I also didn't try hard enough (was gettin shot at by about 8 guys).

Sounds quite handy! Time to run some experiments Smiley
Edit history:
Bacn: 2012-11-14 12:14:45 am
Quote from honorableJay:
Actually if you checked out the WIPs that LLCoolDave made a while back he uses that jump (along with a few other tricks). I still have the videos on my HD and can upload them if you need em.

Bacn has never seen any of these WIPs aside from Kejim post at the start of this thread. If there's no where else to find them, uploading them would be much appreciated. =3
Might be magic...
There's an older topic here: http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,3682.0.html

I think that one contains a fair few links to them.
I first have to complete ns_streets, but afterwards i'll give this lightsaber trick a look. If that works it could save a good amount of time. I could imagine, that the sound from the lightsaber just stops the sound from the conversation, like if you let kyle say something as "i don't want to start any trouble yet" at the start of ns_streets and you enter the conversation with the guys at the door. He gets interrupted and the conversation plays. Maybe the lightsaber interrups the conversation in the same way too. But i don't know why the lighsaber sound would interfer with conversations.
Might be magic...
At a guess, it could be because of some limitation in the game engine with the number of sounds it can play at one time. If you generate a lot of sound effects in parallel, it probably stops playing the oldest one (Lando's speech) to free up that sound channel for another sound effect.
Might be magic...
Just noticed on the Runs Needing Verification page that "Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast for PC" has appeared today! Not sure who would have submitted it, but I wonder why they haven't posted on this thread?
Quote from gammadragon:
Just noticed on the Runs Needing Verification page that "Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast for PC" has appeared today! Not sure who would have submitted it, but I wonder why they haven't posted on this thread?

I would guess you can find your answer in this thread:
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/requesting_clarification_on_run_submission.html
Might be magic...
Quote from voxcy1:

Aha! Thanks voxcy1, and congrats Bacn! Can't wait to see your run Smiley
Quote from gammadragon:
Aha! Thanks voxcy1, and congrats Bacn! Can't wait to see your run Smiley

Thanks, but I'm more excited to see Sarutara when he's finished. I didn't know that anyone still posted in this thread, much less was running the game until after I had finished recording.
The Dork Knight himself.
So what tricks have you guys found? It's been a while since I've played the game so I don't know of anything good after ns_hideout.
Edit history:
gammadragon: 2012-12-01 05:14:40 am
Might be magic...
May have stumbled onto an awesomely game-breaking glitch, if someone can figure out how to make it do something useful. In essence, you can peek through walls by switching to first-person mode, standing next to a wall, holding down "E" to lean, then strafe left or right and turn quickly.

The most useful thing that I thought this could be used for is to potentially destroy a door lock (using the lightsabre) from the opposite side of the door. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to work yet, but have been able to make it play the "burning" sound indicating that you are standing in front of something that can be destroyed with the lightsabre.

Might post a video soon.

Edit: Youtube link
The Dork Knight himself.
Seems to be more of a graphical glitch than anything. I was goofing off at the same door for 10 mins straight, and even though I could see inside the door, I couldn't see all the way to the other side. Just swinging at the door though I could get the "I just hit a robot with my saber" sound every so often but it wouldn't destroy the lock on the door. I'm assuming they programmed the saber to not penetrate walls/doors, which is why you can't hit ppl from the other side of a wall with it.
Might be magic...
Yep, I get the same result too. Giving up on that idea.

Are there any places in the game where simply looking at something that's hidden behind a wall or door could trigger things, such as an end of level sequence? I know there are certain spots which can tell that your crosshair is on top of something (the prison administrator, some of the reborns, etc)
The bartender in Nar Shadaa uses a look trigger so it's certainly possible other parts of the game do as well. However all the places that I thought might use them are all normal location triggers, so I doubt the trick has much use, even if it could be used to activate triggers in the first place.
Edit history:
kairos: 2012-12-04 05:05:17 pm
Wow, people are still doing runs of this game =] I've been speedrunning it for a long time, but only recently I've decided to start recording them and wanting to upload it to SDA.

That new shortcut on kejim_post though, I've never seen it before. Very nice LLCoolDave =D
I suppose I'll show you one that I found https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108706151/JK2ADR-3.mp4 (it should play in your browser... if not, I guess I'll upload it to youtube) You can strafe the chasm much better than I did in the beginning, in fact you can reach the door if you're good enough. But the major skip is getting on top of the transport from the cave area =]
The Dork Knight himself.
Nice, although if you check out Dave's vids you'll see he uses an alternate method to get to the cart. I'd say both methods are solid since it's a 1-cycle for the cart anyway and there's no time loss. Your strat is definitely a marathon safe one. The only problem I can see with it is alerting the guards, which can lose a lot of health quickly. For the chasm skip, there's a way I found out a while ago to do it slightly faster with no health loss. Basically you have to land on one of the crates on the landing platform after coming down from the cliff, then swing your aim to the left for 1 jump, then back to the right to curl to the opposite cliff. If done right you'll land on the ramp just before the door and still have full health.

And if you think people running this game is funny, I still have an improved Jedi Academy run in the works (that is if I ever find the time to actually finish the runs I'm working on right now).
Edit history:
kairos: 2012-12-04 09:25:38 pm
I have a question about speedrunning this game though. Let's say I find a new route for an older map, but I've progressed farther in the game. Can I load an old save, re-record, then keep playing at where I was before? I'm not sure, because your health/armor/ammo/guns carry over from the last level sometimes. Or do I have to start each level over?
Dealing with the AI's terrible aim is a lot easier than trying to get the timing perfect for jumping on the ships from behind. Not to mention health isn't an issue that early in the game.

On a side note, does nobody ever half beat anymore?
halfbeat > fullbeat
With regard to replacing segments, you should ensure that you have the same health, shields, force, and ammo at the end as you do at the beginning of the next segment. Exceptions are sometimes allowed if you don't benefit (e.g. mysteriously losing ammo between segments), but it's better to make them line up or replace all the segments until you get to one where everything is reset.

As for the dark jedi, the current SDA run handles them pretty well. Most of them can be skipped, a few can be taken by surprise with thermal detonators, and using the lightsaber on the rest is not too slow. The only place I can think of another good option is Tavion. Standing near the cliff and using push or pull to throw her off when she jumps at you might be faster.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2012-12-05 05:09:56 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
NMS: you can't push Tavion over the edge. Even if you manage to catch her in the air with force push she'll jump to safe ground before getting killed. Bacn uses a much simpler (and funnier) method: detpacks. Catch her with a force push knockdown once the fight starts then lay a few detpacks on her body, set em off as she's getting up an that should be enough to make her die from falling.

Bacn: I'm assuming by half-beat you're referring to the old Q3 strafe technique right? I've tried to do it in JK2 but the increased air control seems to mess up the technique and doesn't give the same speed increases. I could be doing it wrong though, but normal strafe jumping for me works just fine.

Kairos: If the next level carries over health/ammo/armor you have to try and match up your player stats before the level ends or finish with more than the next level begins with. If the next level resets your ammo/armor/weapons then you don't have to worry about matching up the stats.
In a clean, controlled environment it's easier to go faster with half beat once you get the hang of it since you have to move much less. However, the main benefit of half beating while speedrunning is teaching a better understanding of the silly quirk of the engine. It's also a little harder to turn sharply, for what that's worth.

For killing Jedis, Goomba stomping/force pushing them to the ground to kill them is a really quick approach, but I think crouching and spamming the lightsaber might be slightly more reliable. That seemed to be LLCoolDave's original strategy for them.
Might be magic...
Quote from honorableJay:
Bacn uses a much simpler (and funnier) method: detpacks. Catch her with a force push knockdown once the fight starts then lay a few detpacks on her body, set em off as she's getting up an that should be enough to make her die from falling.

Bacn: Can you post your run on Youtube?
Edit history:
kairos: 2012-12-07 02:50:25 pm
kairos: 2012-12-07 01:57:22 pm
Quote from honorableJay:
Kairos: If the next level carries over health/ammo/armor you have to try and match up your player stats before the level ends or finish with more than the next level begins with. If the next level resets your ammo/armor/weapons then you don't have to worry about matching up the stats.

If the stats don't match up, this is considered illegal? Also, is it okay to record a timer on my screen?

(for some reason, I can't complete kejim_post anymore without Jan dying...)