12345678 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
LLCoolDave: 2012-12-30 06:19:59 am
Edit: See http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/jedi_outcast__now_with_1000_progress_80.html for the run I always wanted to see but never was good enough to do myself.

Old Topic: http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,3682.0.html

Progress:

Level - Time - Improvement on current published run - Improvement on previous WIP
kejim_post - 0:44.8 - 0:31 - 0:05.4

I decided to start a new topic with the new run for various reasons, mainly to actually have editing access to the first post. More content to be added.
Thread title:  
Yay, you're actually running again! Cheesy

Edit: Wow, 5 seconds off the old WIP? I guess this certainly does look a lot smoother.
The Dork Knight himself.
This is a great day Smiley
Excellent improvement!
Although I did read the title as negative 1000% progress  Roll Eyes
destroy them with lazers
Definitely looking forward to this the old run was awesome.
Runs: FCP, FC3, XWA, HD1-2, KotOR1-2
Quote from LLCoolDave:
kejim_post - 0:44.8

That thing is crazy!
Quote from LeWoVoc:
Excellent improvement!
Although I did read the title as negative 1000% progress  Roll Eyes

Well yeah, it IS negative progress, since he's gone back to the first level. I inferred that he'll be redoing everything he's done so far?
Invisible avatar
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
I inferred that he'll be redoing everything he's done so far?

Yes, because his thirst for perfection is insanely hard to satiate.

Just the kind of speedrunner I like! Though they're even better if they finish runs, so you get to it, you hear me, LL?

Also, I think more segments is a good idea, since this game is horribly hard to optimise. Strafejumping is a bitch like that.
The Dork Knight himself.
I think what makes the strafe jumping so much harder in this game than in other quake games is the fact that you have to hold both forward AND strafe and turn incredibly sharp to build up speed. Would be nice if it worked just like quake 1 bunny hopping (considering you can turn corners just as sharp).
Hell no, Quake 1 Bunnyhopping is tons harder than strafejumping. It requires way more precision in your mouse movement and that whole tap +forward stuff adds another annoying timing component to it. Strafejumping is the easy part in this run, everything else sucks. The buttons don't work properly (just like any other FPS, somehow...), the enemies are annoying but utterly worthless (They don't do damage, they just are in your way) and the architecture is optimized to be suboptimal for speedrunning. (Seriously, it seems like half of the details added to the game exist to screw with a speedrunner...) It doesn't help that half of all jumping patterns is fairly awkward, but the actual strafejumping on its own isn't too bad at all.
The Dork Knight himself.
Well it's not that hard, but compared to Quake 3 it's a lot harder (you move in a more rounded arc, staying straight can be a pain at times). Meh, maybe it's from playing quake 1 based games for so long that I find q1 style bunny hopping easier.
Invisible avatar
Quote from honorableJay:
Well it's not that hard, but compared to Quake 3 it's a lot harder (you move in a more rounded arc, staying straight can be a pain at times). Meh, maybe it's from playing quake 1 based games for so long that I find q1 style bunny hopping easier.

Quakeworld (multiplayer Quake) bunnyhops are drastically easier than bunnies in single-player/coop Quake (the physics are different). Normal Quake bunnyhops are nothing BUT moving in a rounded arc, not staying straight at all, unless you use a double-twist technique which is hellishly hard. I assume we're talking 'optimised' level bunnies here, of course.

That said, strafejumping in Outcast, even if it's easier, is still a bitch, because you can never be sure that what you did is close to optimal - you always think that you could possibly strafejump even better.
The Dork Knight himself.
If the game had a speedometer it would be so much easier Sad
The Dork Knight himself.
Since this is the last active thread for this game, I figure I'll dig this one up.

I would like to try running this game at the next AGDQ in January, and so far I'm up to Cairn Bay without much of a hitch. I'm definitely seeing safety-saves being the norm here since you can die without much of a warning, but there are definitely a lot of strats that are going to be questionable for using in a marathon. I definitely can't use the Kejim window jump since my consistency with it isn't there even after practice, and the Cairn Bay suicide-climb will definitely have to be tweaked and tested. Currently I have to clear the room of storm troopers before I can even begin the climb if I want to survive for more than 10 seconds, but it's debatable if I should just run that level normally to activate the elevators rather than even attemping the climb.

I also see a few of the unskippable fights (Tavion is a good example) giving me marathon luck consistently. Once I finish getting re-acquainted with the game I'll have more info to post, maybe even a decent game plan.
Hi, I'm new to this game and serious speedrunning in general. Seeing this game at a marathon would be great, but very hard. Is there a more consistent way to get the window jump, because I only get it every 30th try, which is really annoying, since I have to play the first few seconds of the game again and again.
Quote from Sarutara:
Hi, I'm new to this game and serious speedrunning in general. Seeing this game at a marathon would be great, but very hard. Is there a more consistent way to get the window jump, because I only get it every 30th try, which is really annoying, since I have to play the first few seconds of the game again and again.

The window trick can be quite hard and takes much training to get a good success rate. Alternatively, you can land on the bridge right before it and save there and make a segment more. That's a bit slower, though.

It's good to see someone's interested in doing a speed run of JK2. I have seen the current speedrun on SDA (by Dave?) and while there are some neat shortcuts, I cannot say it's very impressive (well, at this point in time - several years later). I think jk2 is an absolutely stellar game (Single-player wise and multi-player wise), and it deserves to have been beaten at a very good time.
I might be interested in doing a speed run of JK2 too, but I would like to do it on the hardest difficulty because it would be more challenging (max 50 hp has its limitations) and more impressive.

With regards to that first lvl, on hard difficulty, you would want to avoid losing any HP from the jump, so therefore it's only reasonable to land on the bridge before making the jump through the window (if you're playing on hard difficulty, that is).

I have played through the game several times on hardest difficulty and my assessment is that it's possible to get a fast and nice run, although not as fast as on easy difficulty. Would anyone be interested in this?
I found some very weird glitch just a few minutes ago, where there's 2 Kyles. I uploaded a video of it with some info on my youtube channel here:

I have no idea how that happened. Maybe it's already known, but I haven't seen this so far. I don't think it will be of any use though.

About the master difficulty run:
I'm not so interested in that. My main focus will be on speed only. So padawan is the way to go for me. Though it sounds like an interesting idea
The Dork Knight himself.
If you're serious about running this I can give you some level strats I found a while ago. Pretty sure Dave has better ones but it'll at least be a start. Eventually I'l get back into this game myself but I do have a few projects I'm working on now (plus I came to the conclusion this game is not marathon safe).
I found the segments dave posted in an older thread up to ns_street. I already improved the first level to about 42 seconds but I'm not sure if the video quality is sufficient for submission.

Anyway, those are both parts:
and

I found a way to skip destroying the mines in kejim_base and get a really nice boost from the explosion which I haven't seen before.

If you have any other ideas for the routes except the ones seen in daves segments I'd be glad to hear them.

Also, it's sad you won't do a run at the marathon but the inconsistency in this game is just too big I think.
Exoray
If you are uncertain about your video quality, head over to the tech support board and post a video quality test. You'll be helped tweaking your settings if there's any problem with your current video.
The Dork Knight himself.
The only thing I can comment on right now about the video quality is the fov: I believe you need to keep it at default since you can't tweak that in the options menu and there's no performance reason to raise it.
Might be magic...
This is pretty awesome... if all the levels have skips as large as the first, it will be a really fun speedrun to watch.
Quote from honorableJay:
The only thing I can comment on right now about the video quality is the fov: I believe you need to keep it at default since you can't tweak that in the options menu and there's no performance reason to raise it.

Personally, I find that changing the fov setting to a higher one than default helps my gameplay significantly, perhaps because it allows me to "see" more. If it's not prohibited, which would be really unfortunate imo, I'll use it.

Quote from Sarutara:

I found a way to skip destroying the mines in kejim_base and get a really nice boost from the explosion which I haven't seen before.

That sounds super cool, but I'm not sure which mines you're talking about? Oh, and some damn good completion of level 1 you did, well done!
Edit history:
Sarutara: 2012-09-03 11:06:29 am
Sarutara: 2012-09-03 11:05:59 am
Sarutara: 2012-09-03 11:05:43 am
Quote:
That sounds super cool, but I'm not sure which mines you're talking about? Oh, and some damn good completion of level 1 you did, well done!

I was talking about the mines behind the locked door the stormtroopers try to plant but fail and explode right in their face after the door opens.
I may upload a video of what I'm talking about soon.

And thanks for the compliment. Would be really sad if I had to redo that because of poor video quality.
Edit history:
Sarutara: 2012-09-04 11:09:41 am
Quote from builder:
Quote from Sarutara:

That sounds super cool, but I'm not sure which mines you're talking about?

This is what I was talking about:

If you do it a little bit better than I did there, you'll fly right to the door but I was too lazy to try until I get it right again.