<- 12345678
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
kairos: 2013-07-21 05:00:03 pm
A sub 40 run would be _insanely_ hard, for SS. There are many hard tricks that almost require segmentation to get right, or skill of which I don't yet have. My best right now is 56min with RTA. My goal is to grab at least 54min pure SS, no quicksaves.

EDIT: not to mention, the bullshit luck you need for the droidhopping skip in artus_detention
Oh I was thinking of  a segmented padawan run which could easily beat my Jedi Master run Wink 56 min with RTA sounds pretty damn good, keep up the good work.
Thanks man [:

I wouldn't be too sure about a padawan run beating your jedi master run, because of the droid skip. However, with fewer enemies to finish off and an easier time of doing it might make up for that.
I don't actually see where Padawan would save considerable amounts of time. The main reason I did my old runs on Padawan was for a larger health buffer for fall damage (and less resets due to randomly being hit by an enemy). recon's run barely makes any concessions to either point and doesn't go out of the way to pick up health or shield items to any considerable margin. The droid skip should save around 50-55 seconds although I admitedly never timed it myself. I don't think the health difference actually makes up for that, and the larger amount of enemies rarely ever makes a real difference. So the only real advantage Padawan has is that early level ending skip, IF it really turns out to only work on low difficulty levels.

56 minutes RTA sounds really impressive. What route do you use, i.e. which skips do you consider save for a RTA setting? Is there any chance you could make it to AGDQ to run the game and if not, is there a chance you could teach me how to do this game in a single segment setting? It'd probably make for a good marathon watch, and I kind of have a history with it, I suppose =)
I've been making plans to go some __DQ in the future, whether its next year or a couple years from now. I do streams on twitch.tv/kairosfractes, and I have some runs highlighted if you want to look at what my route is. In terms of teaching you, I can talk to you on irc/skype or whatnot.
Quote from LLCoolDave:
56 minutes RTA sounds really impressive. What route do you use, i.e. which skips do you consider save for a RTA setting? Is there any chance you could make it to AGDQ to run the game and if not, is there a chance you could teach me how to do this game in a single segment setting? It'd probably make for a good marathon watch, and I kind of have a history with it, I suppose =)

Almost all of the crazier tricks should be doable in a marathon if you practice them enough. The real challenge is in not having enemies get lucky when they shoot.

I've also been working on a single-segment run, but not as much as I would like to.
Might be magic...
Well, just watched recon's run again now that it's on the front page and it still hasn't lost any of its shine. It really is a great achievement and one of the best speedruns I've seen. Thanks to all who helped create it, especially LLCoolDave and recon himself but also there are many others who have had added small parts.

Hope to see a run of this game at a marathon sometime.
Edit history:
ElementalGuard: 2014-07-30 08:29:49 pm
ElementalGuard: 2014-07-30 07:47:34 pm
Found some new time savers in JK2 thanks to Yadra finding this glitch in Jedi Academy. You can quicksave on the frame a cutscene starts and then load that save and spawn inside where Kyle is supposed to be in any cutscene. The largest application of this trick is in yavin_courtyard. Hopefully at least one of the tricks is useful even with the quickload penalty. Here's a video.

This can also be done in yavin_temple when talking to Luke (saves minimal time and there's a trigger you have to hit just inside the room to activate the next door) and in doom_detention when saving Jan. I think the former saves maybe 2/3 seconds RTA and the latter saves maybe 4. Hard to time against conventional strategies. I also lower my FPS to 30 to ensure I hit the trick every time. You can usually just spam quicksave and hit the right frame at 30 fps.
Nice one! Will verify if it leads to a new run, no time for anything else though unfortunately...
Shocked excellent to see some new activity on jk2 running ("new", well i was a bit late to discover that there was new activity in this thread :P)! great find - this could easily lead to a faster run than that of mine, and I guess this doesn't go against the rules for a segmented run.
Since the last run by recon was segmented maybe someone wants to do a SS now? You could still use the skips if it's RTA. For segmented, I think you can do the trick and when you load it just starts another segment from there (unless you prefer to time the loading into the same segment but why would you?)
so yeah a ton of things have been found. seeker drones are broken as hell. the segmented run is definitely extremely obsolete now

check out all of the links in this google doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wup6rermOUVQS3STkNf5TNsC2d2Yj1B7Xj6lN0KEBOM/edit#gid=0

Also not included is the seeker drone clip that skips all of doom_shields by clipping the drone through the final door, but this has been known for a while now
Might be magic...
Awesome, looking forward to a run which includes all of these improvements.
Hey everyone Smiley So I'm pretty new to SDA and especially this forum/thread, I'm a pretty new JK2 runner (RTA) and since I got really interested I started to look into skips/tricks, especially for some of the really big down-time parts of the game, and it turned out pretty well with the findings. I saw Grav just posted the strats document me and another runner put up, and I just wanted to say that it's exciting to see that this segmented-interest is still somewhat active.

I also wanted to say that I'd love to help out if there's going to be a new segmented run of any kind. Meanwhile if you're interested what these skips look like in a full run you can check out my 45:10 RTA-run here: https://www.twitch.tv/vryndar/v/56256108

There are things unincluded in the run of course, like the seeker-climb on bespin_undercity, or the pull-jumping and some other small minor things.