--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

JazzPunk (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Reason: There might be a faster run coming soon, but this is good for now

Congratulations to Chris 'Divine Rapture' Williams!
Thread title:  
Run Information

JazzPunk (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/jazzpunk/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by April 6, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Edit history:
ktwo: 2014-03-30 01:57:32 am
Below are the comments for the old submission.

There is ghosting in the video, which is pretty bad at times. I've looked at other game photage on the net and it's not the game doing this. This alone is a reason for rejection.

I did watch the first few minutes of the video as well. I watched it alongside www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_3Edgqc5yk (roughly 2 min faster than this submission according to the description). I don't know anything about the game, so all I could do was a comparison side-by-side. The youtube run uses a different route. This is yet again one of the instances, where it would have been immensely useful to have the runner aware of this thread to shed some light on their routing decisions. Either way

reject (video issue)
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2014-03-30 01:52:15 am
Not a walrus
I just noticed there's two different submissions in the same folder, here. The one you're looking at seems to be the older one. Is the one dated Feb 27th better? That one's not officially posted but I didn't realize both submissions' files had been copied into the same folder so I might as well let it through.
The one from Feb 27th is better (and faster). I'll try to give it a watch and compare with the youtube video later today.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2014-03-30 02:01:13 am
Not a walrus
I'm just gonna edit the newer run to point at this thread and mark the older one as rejected.

Edit: Older run's files are available here for the time being: http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/jazzpunk-old/
I watched the new submission side by side with www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_3Edgqc5yk (~1 minute faster than this submission).
Some missions are faster in the youtube run and some are faster in the submission. The youtube run uses some kind of save-warp glitch in a few places. I estimate they save 45 seconds-1 minute in total. Watching the two runs side by side, there are some weird sections where I'm wondering if the youtube run runs slightly faster because of hardware differences, but I can't really tell without spending more time than I'm willing to. For example, start the youtube video at 16:38 and this submission at 17:32 and run them simultaneously. The youtube run gains 3-4 seconds on a very simple section, where I can't see any visible mistakes in the submitted run. Maybe I'm just dreaming and it's smoother movement. I don't know. Anyways, there aren't many visible mistakes in this submission and using saves is a different category as far as sda is concerned. To me, this looks like a pretty clear

accept

Oh and by the way, a/v was fine in the new submission.
A/V looks good, no cheating I can detect

As far as this submitted run goes, aside from some sub-optimal movement at times, there's no obvious mistakes and nothing major. Run successfully avoids a good amount of jokes. Gravy Race and Mini Golf in particular were rather well done. Those can be hard to get right. All in all there may be room for improvement but I see no reason not to say:

Accept

Also: Are there comments for this run? I'm guessing the one I saw before was from the older submission.
Not a walrus
There should be. Does "Download Run Comments" not appear for you on the status page?
Oops! I got it, thanks. Smiley
I noticed that the game has been patched several times and most of the glitches that makes the run faster has been patched.

A good example is the "Save the Director" bridge. Going backward on it makes you go as slow as if you were walking forward on it. A run on the newest patch needs to be done.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2014-04-01 02:10:42 pm
Not a walrus
If a run on the newest patch would be slower, then you should use the patch that doesn't have the glitches fixed, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
Question is whether the fastest patch is publically available.
Not a walrus
Either way, if the newest patch is slower, then we don't "need" a run on the newer patch.
Edit history:
EthanWolfcat: 2014-04-01 02:37:48 pm
Game's version is now at 2.0.2.6 (According to GOG.com), Steam version cannot be rolled back to original version where the bug hasn't been fixed. Therefore, I believe that runs before version 2.0.2.6 (including mine) are outdated since bugs that makes runs faster are fixed. If you have the Gog you can go back to its original version though.

Also, let's say for example that someone would like to beat the current fastest time. The one who did it was recording from an old version of JazzPunk. The one who would like to beat the time, buys the game on Steam. Like I said, Steam will automatically download the newest version of the game. Will he be able to beat the time? No. Not in any possible ways.
This has started to be a problem for a bunch of games, but the fact is that there are already a bunch of posted runs where the fastest version isn't easily accessible. Best thing to do is to simply keep that GOG installer for the fastest version around in case anyone requests it. It's what I did with Unepic.

Either that, or as a community decide to run latest and disregard every old version run as outdated. But that'd have to be a community agreement (including the runner for this submission).
Edit history:
EthanWolfcat: 2014-04-01 02:47:03 pm
Mine is outdated. I'm practicing ot run the newest version 2.0.26 I don't mind sharing the original GOG installer. The oldest one I have is version 2.0.0.4 It's on my dropbox
Not a walrus
I think you're misusing the term 'outdated', but no, we're not about to invalidate the run just because the version it used is no longer easily accessible.
I have re-run the game and I believe that my time is faster than the one being in verifcation. Should I do a new request or send it to at the same place as before?
Not a walrus
You're free to send in a new submission, yes. Make sure it doesn't have the ghosting problem pictured above before you send it in, though.
Yes. I will correct that. I will also like to point out that Ari-Chan is not compatible with Raw AVIs created with Fraps
Not a walrus
Yes it is, plenty of people have used it with Fraps files. If you need help with it you should post about it in Tech Support, or just use Yua instead.
YUA worked perfectly. Thank you. My files are ready to be uploaded.
Decision posted.
Congrats Chris! Maybe we could race it sometimes =)