Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
What?
An opportunity for NYC-area speedrunners to do a live run as part of the "Indie eSports Showcase" at IndieCade East 2014: http://www.indiecade.com/east/overview/

Where?
The Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens: http://www.movingimage.us/

When?
February 14-16 (the run is scheduled for the afternoon of Sunday the 16th): http://www.indiecade.com/east/esports/

Wait, What?
Hey all! I'm an organizer for IndieCade, the International Festival of Independent Games. We have a main conference in Los Angeles every year, but 2014 will be the second time New York City plays host to IndieCade East. Specifically, I'm in charge of programming our competitive gaming event. I pick a bunch of (mostly) unreleased indie games, playtest to make sure they're as fun to watch as they are to play, and then give each one a 90-minute slot in a dedicated theatre (it seats 50-100 folks). The "Indie eSports Showcase", as we're calling it, was a great success in LA this past fall... so I've been given a little more freedom to do experimental programming for our February event.

Here's where y'all come in! I've been a fan of speedrunners for awhile now, and I've always thought it would be cool to have a little more interaction between indie game designers and speedrunners (who are, in their own way, all a unique kind of indie game designer if you think about it). I kept an open spot in the Sunday schedule and got permission to invite a NYC-area runner to fill it. Basically, I'm looking for anyone near the city who does runs of any indie game (the run should take more than 15 minutes but less than 90) who wouldn't mind coming down Sunday to do a live run. You could commentate, or bring a commentator, or just do the run while I try to explain to the festival-going audience what I think is so important about what y'all do.

This is only a 90-minute part of the schedule, but there is a big lunch block in the schedule that we could also work with. The event will be streamed. Whoever participates will get a full conference pass (it runs from February 14-16, featuring cool talks and unreleased games) and an opportunity to meet a bunch of cool indie game developers. Ideally I'd like to finalize plans for this within the week. So please post questions, suggestions for runners you might know, or your interest in participating in this thread. Thanks for reading!

To Mods:
This is kind of a strange request, and I'm not exactly a member of your community. I checked on the IRC channel, and somebody said this was the best place to post my query. If this isn't the right place at all, please let me know!
Thread title:  
Terrible at games
Hey!

I'm in NYC, this sounds awesome.

I'm currently learning a little PC game called Anodyne that might work for this, excellent game, I think made by two people. However, it's extremely broken, a 100% speedrun is done in about 35 minutes optimally. I would estimate 40-45 minutes for this, at least with my level of practice. I could probably end up commentating it myself, although another person maybe a bit more knowledgeable about the game could help me out with it.

I'm definitely available for Sunday, Google Maps says that the place is about 35 minutes by subway from my place. I'd love to do this, send me a PM if you'd like me to come play!

And yes, this was the correct place.
Edit history:
Chungking: 2014-01-26 10:19:48 am
Hi Chiron!

This is perfect. I've played the release version of Anodyne, plus I reviewed a pre-alpha for a games festival a year or so ago... so I've seen me some Anodyne glitches! Also the soundtrack and art of the game are fairly beautiful, so I think it's a great fit. My email address is posted on my profile, could you please ping me there so we can hammer out more details?

I think the 40-45 minute estimate is good for the schedule, because it means that another game/runner could also fit into that time... if there's somebody else in town who has a 40-50min run (or less) of something. So if anybody else wants to participate, feel free to keep posting through the end of this week!
Terrible at games
I sent you an email, by the way.

Yeah, this run is ridiculous in terms of how broken it gets. There are parts where random tile textures just go insane around you, it's just a "what the fuck" all around.

I don't know of any other runners in the area, sadly, but if you have a suggestion for a game, it's possible that I could learn it.