--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Goggen: 2008-12-18 10:24:39 am
"Time to go to work..."
Well, it's taken a while, but out of the blue, I now present to you all, decked on stuff of holly and whatnot, a very special Christmas present.
It's my speedrun! What I have of it so far, at least! On YouTube!

*EDIT* I've watched through all of them in HQ, and they all work except for Palawan Lagoon part 2, which only works in Normal Quality. Aside from that, there are still the same problems with low volume and progressive desync, and some minor problems with keyframing at the start of some of the parts. Nothing that gets in the way of watching, though.

Playlist:

Levels:
Canyonlands:

Babylon:

Tian Shan River:

Shambala Sanctuary:

Palawan Lagoon:

Palawan Volcano:

Palawan Temple:

Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas!
Although I'm actually not a very Christmassy sort. Bah, humbug. But it's as good a time as any to unveil it.
And although I'm not a very Hanukkahy sort either, here's some Hanukkah gelt for you all nonetheless:

The strategies for the remainder of the levels!
Read them, imagine them, play them in your minds. It's like a half-finished speedrun on YouTube, but with words!

Note that at this point I have the Invisibility Cloak, so some strategies can be simplified. I didn't think about it in planning.

08 - Jeep Trek
4 (1+3) (This here is the time I had for the level in planning playthroughs, and segmentation, in minutes.)
Medium: At bridge-needing-2m-plank, jumping bridge *without* plank by driving onto it from a steep angle on left side, then (narrowly) jumping across, aiming outside opposing bridge half. Should be able to do it even without the careful aiming, I and a friend of mine remember having done so on the demo.

09 - Teotihuacan
24? (09 + 15?)
Minor (very obvious): At the traps, running against the wall doesn't set them off, which in turn means no waiting for it to reset. Also you don't die.
Minor (obvious): At the Fish Key, slashing the web first, then pick up the key, then roll sideways off the trap floor.
Minor (for fun): At the button to open the two doors hat close before and behind you, slashing the spider twice as it comes down, then run it to death.
Route: First, setting up the gear-stones (one up against a door opposite of the one already so, one remaining toward statue). Then run off into the door room, where you pull the croc heads into place ending with the one closest to the exit. Back at gear room, operating the gear and statue to open the two doors prepared, then one more turn before dropping down to set the two remaining.
Route: First trek to the Jaguar idol.
Major (obvious): Dropping down to statue. (If possible, jump from statue head to switches.) Open last two doors.
Route: Trek to Bird idol.
Major (obvious): Rolling into Jaguar room, then down to statue.
Route: Trek to Fish idol, grab said and mirror, then backtrack and drop into the water. Ignore enemies, and trek to the finish.

10 - Olmec Valley
25 (04+13+4+8) (slow bossfight, hit pyramid at 17 min.)
Medium: Rolling off left of waterfall, landing (often unharmed) on palm tree leaves.
Medium (obvious): At second Olmec Head, outrunning it down tunnel. (Shooting snakes in the way if necessary.)
Minor: After third Olmec Head, ignoring (bloody useless) machine pistol and (even bloodier useless) shotgun commies.
Medium (obvious): At last bridge, dropping down to it after pushing it over.
Route: At pyramid, first opening pressure switch room, then snake room, then running back to pressure switch room.

11 - V.I. Pudovkin
Minor: After retrieving Indy's gear; pulling the wooden crate back once, then jumping from that to between two crate stacks in front.
Minor: In engine room, dropping straight down to bottom level. Then after lever, climbing up next to lever, rather than the ladder.

12 - Meroë
40 (24+7+9)
Route: Go see kid, waste hyenas, raid shack, climb into pyramid, do all the firelightin', get back outside, do the watch, do the statues, drive off into out of the sunset in the mine cart.

13 - King Solomon's Mines
26 (20+6)
Route: Trip levers 1 and 3, do one lap, picking up two medkits. On second lap, kill two commies by Fork 4. After bazooka cutscene, park minecart and pick off the two shotgun-toters and (if not already run over) SMG-man. Pick up weapons (Free bazookas!), jump in pool and trek to first gem.
Minor: Jumping from top of climb to first gem, and back.
Route: Backtrack to minecart, back it up into Horus Key room, grab that. Drive forwards through next cutscene, then grab Brass Key. Then one more lap, killing commies outside "station". After junction 4...
Major (obvious): instead of changing tracks at 2 to get AluminIum Key, go on foot from other track.
Route: Kill commies, grab stuff, move on.
MASSIVE SHORTCUT, Re-planning needed.

Route: *Another* lap, this time to Fork 4. Oil the switch, grab the weapons left over, and then... Another lap, this time to station, to switch-over 4. Then ride to 4, and trek to second gem. Backtrack (improbable shortcut; jump off bridge, follow tracks past Fork 4), then to third gem.
Medium?: Parking the mine cart so that the door to the gem 3 section is open, saving one mount/dismount and ride after gem 2.
Minor?: Shoot/grenade through crack behind crate. Move crate while ticking down?
Medium?: After third gem; roll, run or otherwise get through before tunnel collapses behind.
Route: Backtrack to cart, head to final room.
Minor? Jumping straight from Red to Green.

Massive: You do not ever need the red gem, you can jump straight over to the green gem (from the scaffolding, or the red gem) and open up the floatie thing. When you use the blue gem, it all opens up completely. (Credits to "The MAZZTer" of the SDA Forum, and specifically his brother.)
Minor: After placing last gem, rolling backwards to ground floor, surprisingly unscathed.

14 - King Nub's Tomb
30 (9+11+1+9)
Medium: Instead of shimmying across the entrance, you can jump straight to it by bouncing off the left hand side. Specifically, by standing on the back right corner, you can roll straight for it (aiming such that the left thigh intersects with the left corner of the entrance).
Route: In elevator room, pull the block out, jump to left pillar and open the door, get the key, open elevator door. Climb to stair button. Roll to the block, shoot commies with bazooka. Head after Volodnikov, move upper statue first then lower block.
Fun: Rolling into the cutscene and Indy draws an invisible gun.
Route: Shoot the sniper commie with bazooka, use levitaty part to get up. Shoot big muscle-commie with bazooka, killing all three. Fix elevator, push block, get to counterweight.
Minor (obvious): Ignore the electric ball, and run straight for the first whipping.
Medium (obvious): Don't bother to move the blocks all the way to the ball.
Medium: Drop the ball back down in the hole, and run into it.
Medium?: Landing on top of climbing puzzle. Rolling straight back from the right side of the rightmost block does this, but it's bugged so you're stuck.
Medium: Rolling from top of climbing puzzle instead of fiddling with the bridge. That would have been going a bridge too far.
PROBLEM: When activating the elevator after getting the battery, the game crashes. This happens both when zapping the outlet next to the counterweight, as well as when removing the block from the elevator. (The problem complains about the camera, and that some "thing" [actual quote: "pThing1"] seems to be out of bounds. My guess is that the camera is trying to look at something that's bugged its way out of the level.)
SOLUTION: Zapping the other outlet first. No, I don't know why. Maybe the camera target isn't activated until that outlet's camera target has?
Infinitely major: Zapping the unrelated Heavenly Crystal outlet first. Saves infinite time, as the game hangs for all eternity otherwise.
Medium?: Zapping (a few of) the zapping tiles before activating the robot.
Minor?: Keep the robot on the same tile, continually recharging it and fooling the robot to walk back and forth over it.

15 - Infernal Machine
15 (4+6+1+4)
Minor: Rolling backwards of the lift, rather than taking it all the way up before dropping into the hole for the button. Also potentially skips those whirlygigs up there.
Route: First to quakey slot for the battery, then to the headless horseman for the floaty part.
PROBLEM: The zappy floaty enemies sometimes crash the game when killed by SMG.
SOLUTION: Not kill them. Or kill them with other weapon.
Route: To the zappy slot for the quakey part, place battery. Ride the elevator to top.
Medium?: Ride the elevator halfway, roll off, trek to invisibley slot, get to elevator.
PROBLEM:
Shooting CIA-dude with SMG, rifle or shotgun often crashes the game.
SOLUTION:
Use them anyway. Segmentation, y'know.
Major: The SMG seems to be the best bet. Got him in his first appearance with that 'un. Sadly the bazooka does nothing, I tried.

16 - Aetherium
Route: Do a 90° left from where you start. Swim to the Tool, jump into the floatiness again. Do a 90° left, braving the zappiness. Trek to Marduk 1, go left for teh mirror. Recharge your reality here, grab silver bullion if you *must*, you're waiting anyway.
Minor: Only recharge the whip the necessary amount, no more. Each one recharges five, so I'll have to see how many fives are left over. Forgot to check. But fifteen ought to be plenty: 1 to get to the main chamber, three to whip the electric balls, and about six or so for Marduk. Yes, that's ten. I'll probably miss some.
Medium: It seems possible to hit Marduk twice per swoop. (From YouTube, username retroisland.)

17 - Return to Peru
15? (11+4?)
Minor: If you jump on the pedestal, Indy won't say "I had that idol IN MY HAND!" A loss, really.

Now, with all that stuff out of the way, have a merry Christmas, happy New Year, hilarious Hanukkah, or if you're like me, a humbuggy bah. But a nice one nonetheless. I'll try to have some more of the run done by *next* Christmas...
unemployed Dragon
hahaha the end of the first part of palawan volcano, nice trick Cheesy

jumping off the boat while picking up the artifact!
i laughed as i have seen this!
"Time to go to work..."
That's actually a very small trick, saves only about 2-3 seconds. And actually slightly less than that, I hesitated a bit before moving again.
But yeah, funny stuff. I hope I come across some more of those.
Very nice man, most impressive.

I previously couldn't imagine anyone beating this game quickly, and while your run isn't exactly blazing (due to the pace of the game, not your lack of perfection), it is a very refreshing sight for Infernal Machine Fans.

Best of luck if you ever try to complete this beast of a speedrun, and Merry X-Mas!!!
I seem to be having trouble loading the secret map as well as the Jeep Trek right after completing Talawan Temple. I've tried running in compatibility mode, running IE and Windows Media Player, I've even replayed the whole level. Every time I tried to load the levels, the game crashes, making it entirely impossible for me to get any farther in the game. Any advice?
"Time to go to work..."
Quote from ALittleLisa:
I seem to be having trouble loading the secret map as well as the Jeep Trek right after completing Talawan Temple. I've tried running in compatibility mode, running IE and Windows Media Player, I've even replayed the whole level. Every time I tried to load the levels, the game crashes, making it entirely impossible for me to get any farther in the game. Any advice?

I had a problem where the beginning of Palawan Temple would consistently crash, which I fixed by changing out the weapons I ended the previous level with. It's earlier in this thread, but I think I swapped out the revolver and machete with rifle and Tokarev pistol, and that seemed to fix it.
Jeep Trek specifically, I've had a weird bug where after the level loads, it just hangs, with background sounds playing, and the screen is completely black other than a tiny triangle of mossy stone texture in the upper right corner. *That* I've fixed by reloading the level, but that doesn't seem to be the bug you're having.

General advice would be to try patching or unpatching the game. Maybe it works in an earlier version if you've already patched it. I'd also try reinstalling the game.
There's also some weird German patches you could try, but that seems to mostly be to allow you to install the game in 64-bit Windowses.
Other than that, not too many suggestions, sorry. (Also, three months late. Sorry.)
Are you still working on this run? Please say yes...
"Time to go to work..."
Trying to, but coming back to it after a four-year absence is pretty awkward.
How do I shot whip!?

I've pretty much finished planning Jeep Trek, and I'm trying to figure out what codecs and stuff to use for editing.
My new computer is new enough to allow recording at double the resolution, going from 800x600 to 1600x1200, which is such a high resolution that my computer can't even play it anymore. There's a few annoying bugs I haven't figured out, like my Fraps counter not showing up with anti-aliasing on, but I could start recording attempts pretty soon.
Biggest challenge so far has been that all my speedrunning notes and stuff like that was on a hard drive I quite spectacularly fried, which is super annoying. I have the raw files and all the save games and the level strategies for the rest of the game, but I miss that folder full of useful junk. Reassembling what I need has taken up a fair bit of time, like figuring out how I wrote statistics. All existing ones are either wiped, or are stuck on some backup disk somewhere that I can't get to without rearranging an entire house full of clutter.

For the curious, here's my excuses for not speedrunning in the last four years:
Studying
Moving
Working
Serious family stuff
Hard drive crash
Two computer changes

And completing the following games:
(Incomplete list, completion date in parentheses)
Late 2008
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
GoldenEye 007
Far Cry 2 (2008-11-08)
Fallout 3 (2008-12-03)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008-12-17)

Fallout
Fallout 2 (2009-09-03)
Grim Fandango
Left 4 Dead
Mass Effect
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (2009-06-26)
Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (2009-07-18)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (Giant Bomb's Endurance Run, didn't play it myself)
Space Siege (2009-09-22)
Dead Space (2009-10-05)
FEAR 2: Project Origin (2009-10-12)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (2009-10-22)
Fallout 3 DLC (2009-11-03)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009-11-21)
World of Goo (2009-11-03)
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix (2009-09-14)
Wolfenstein (2009-08-29)
Left 4 Dead 2

Sam & Max: Hit the Road
(Family stuff happened here.)
Sam & Max: Season One (2010-02-25?)
Sam & Max: Season Two (2010-02-25?)
Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures
Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (2010-02-25)
Dragon Age: Origins (2010-03-01)
Mass Effect 2 (2010-03-16)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (2010-03-24?)
BioShock 2 (2010-03-27)
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (2010-04-04)
The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition (2010-05-09)
Half-Life 2: Episode One (one bullet) (2010-06-04)
Half-Life 2 (2010-07-06)
Saints Row 2 (2010-08-25?)
(Computer and hard drive crash happened here.)
Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition (neutral karma) (2010-10-11)
Alpha Protocol (2010-10-18)
Fallout: New Vegas (2010-11-13)
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (2010-12-06)
Sid Meier's Civilization V (2010-12-23)
Team Fortress 2

Mafia II (2011-01-22)
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (2011-01-25)
Call of Duty: World at War (2011-01-30)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (2011-02-07)
Aliens vs. Predator (2011-02-12)
Dead Space 2 (2011-02-14)
Aliens vs. Predator (Nightmare) (2011-02-23)
Puzzle Agent (2011-02-23)
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (2011-02-26)
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening (2011-03-12)
Dragon Age II (2011-03-22)
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror (2011-04-18)
Broken Sword III: The Sleeping Dragon
Deadly Premonition (Giant Bomb's Endurance Run, starring Jeff and Vinny)
Deadly Premonition (Giant Bomb's Endurance Run, starring Brad and Ryan)
Portal (2011-04-28)
Portal 2 (2011-04-28)
Portal 2 (co-op) (2011-05-02)
Portal 2 (all achievements) (2011-05-04)
Assassin's Creed (2011-05-22)
Assassin's Creed II (2011-05-31)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2011-06-07)
Duke Nukem Forever (2011-06-11)
Mirror's Edge (2011-06-16)
Medal of Honor (2011-06-18)
LIMBO (2011-08-09)
LIMBO (no deaths) (2011-08-16)
Duke Nukem Forever (Insane) (2011-08-21)
DeathSpank (2011-08-24)
DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue (2011-09-01)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011-09-10)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (2011-09-14)
Mafia II (Hard) (2011-09-19)
Borderlands (2011-10-18)
From Dust (2011-10-23)
RAGE (2011-10-26)
Battlefield 3 (2011-10-29?)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2011-10-31)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Veteran) (2011-11-03)
Mortal Kombat (2011-11-07)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011-11-09)
Puzzle Agent 2

Saints Row: The Third (2012-01-09)
LA Noire (2012-01-27)
Heavy Rain (2012-01-30)
Chrono Trigger (Giant Bomb Endurance Run)
Puzzle Agent 2 (perfect) (2012-02-01)
Jurassic Park: The Game (2012-02-06)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2012-03-19)
Mass Effect 3 (2012-03-30)
Trine (2012-04-07)
Trine 2 (2012-04-21)
Torchlight (2012-05-02)
Saints Row: The Third (co-op) (2012-05-05)
Diablo III
Bully: Scholarship Edition (2012-05-31)
Max Payne 3 (2012-06-02)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (2012-07-29)
Batman: Arkham City (2012-08-20)
Spec Ops: The Line (2012-08-23)
Binary Domain (2012-08-26)

Sure, I could probably have struck a couple dozen games from that list and gotten some speedrunning done, but the big problem is striking a couple hundred hours worth of games off that list, without missing out on an awful lot of variety.

Although, mostly the problem has been that I don't have a predictable enough work schedule to allow for speedrunning. I'd need to know a little bit in advance that a big block of contiguous spare time is coming up. And this is the first time since 2008 that I've actually *had* contiguous vacation time.
And of course, I'm still working on Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, and next Saturday. Unpredictably.

Of course, since I ended up spending all day compiling statistics on what games I played the last couple years and when, instead of speedrunning, I probably should just get on with it.

So yeah. Once I figure out "how do I ran speed?", I'll try to get some stuff going soon.

And finally...
PROTIP: Do not assume that modular power supply manufacturers use interchangable cables. They don't. And hard drives don't like 12V connected to 3.3V.
Edit history:
Goggen: 2012-09-02 04:38:43 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-02 04:38:03 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-02 04:34:48 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-02 04:24:59 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-02 04:24:36 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-02 04:24:15 pm
"Time to go to work..."
Okay, I'm pretty sure I've finished planning out the strategy for the next level: Jeep Trek.

Unlike the strategy I posted earlier, there are actually two tricks:
Jumping the bridge before fixing it by driving onto it from the left side at a right angle.
And skipping most of the maze by bouncing up off a rock onto a much later section. This is down the first right-hand turn.

That second one I actually remembered having figured out way back when I was still actively running, so I'm a bit confused as to why it wasn't listed in the level strategies I posted back in 2008. Luckily, I have a good memory, because memory and this forum is the only planning document I have easily available.

There will be two segments, with the change-over after I've parked in the right spot for the jump, but before the jump happens. The parking has a success rate of about 6%, and the jump about 3%. The final bounce off the rock is something like 25-50%. Also, just in testing, I've blown up 37 jeeps. We'll see what the final tally is.
I may put an additional segment just before that rock bounce, if it ends up screwing up the run more than a handful of times.

Also, it's really annoying to not see the Fraps counter other than in loading screens, 'cause I had a bunch of successful tests end up not being recorded because it's *really* hard to keep track of when it's recording or not.
Hopefully, it won't be much of a problem once I start running, since I start recording all my proper attempts before loading screens start.

Also, if you want to see the level before it's finished, here's the work-in-progress video!

I don't know if you can notice, but that's actually several different test runs seamlessly edited together!
(And I'm extremely happy about the thumbnail too!)

*EDIT*
I have no idea why the YouTube clip is horribly out-of-sync, but it's fine in the original files.

Also:
I've changed the recording specs from 800*600@60FPS to 1600*1200@60FPS, which is rad. Incidentally, if that video is squashed down to 800*600, it should look basically identical to the original, since the GUI doesn't scale to resolution.

And some interesting facts:

I haven't tested the difference in speed while driving slow or fast. I plan to do so soon, although I've already figured out which parts of this level should be slowed down.

Turning while speeding (holding down Shift) is *exactly* as fast as turning without speeding. It takes 188 frames for two revolutions of either, 2,4 seconds. Which means 1,2 seconds per donut, or 300 degrees per second!

It takes 7,5 seconds to get outta the jeep, pick up an object, and get inna the jeep again. *Not* counting the time lost slowing down, stopping, and speeding up again!

Although originally designed by Bantam, the jeep was refined by Willys and Ford, and together they built 640.000 jeeps during World War II!
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine was one of my favorite games when i was a kid. It´s nice seeing someone doing a speedrun.

By the way, i watched your vids so far, it´s a really decent run, but i see one problem. You waste time collecting too much medkits and herbs you actually don´t need. It´s probably a waste of 3-5 seconds per take, but in the long run, if you take f.e. 20 medkits it´s already a waste of 1 minute or more.

Just my 2 cents, hope you will finish the run!
Edit history:
Goggen: 2012-09-04 04:08:41 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-04 04:06:57 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-04 04:02:19 pm
"Time to go to work..."
Long story short:
I'll be redoing Palawan Temple because I found out about a new trick.

Short story long:
I just received two comments, and after some investigation, those comments are now being integrated in the run.

First comment, by SpeedDemosArchive's own Molotok:
Quote from Molotok:
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine was one of my favorite games when i was a kid. It´s nice seeing someone doing a speedrun.

By the way, i watched your vids so far, it´s a really decent run, but i see one problem. You waste time collecting too much medkits and herbs you actually don´t need. It´s probably a waste of 3-5 seconds per take, but in the long run, if you take f.e. 20 medkits it´s already a waste of 1 minute or more.

Just my 2 cents, hope you will finish the run!

I believe the exact time is 2,2 seconds, but yes. Looking over this level, it would take about 7 seconds to pick up the one nearby medpack, which is awkwardly positioned inside the tent.
Also, looking over the current situation, I actually have 8 medkits (including sprigs) and 8 medpacks (including herbs). Looking over the rest of the game, I don't think I'll even need half that many, so a ninth medpack is not necessary, and this one is probably not worth going 7 seconds out of my way to get.
I'm already past the most combat-heavy part of the game (Palawan Volcano), and of the remaining levels, only Teotihuacan, V.I. Pudovkin and Infernal Machine feature enemies that can fight back. Also, there's only ten levels left, and I won't be using any healing in Jeep Trek. So 8 full heals and 8 1/3 heals should be plenty. ...Maybe.

And now, the second comment from YouTube's own bobsauce100, who randomly replied even though I haven't updated my speedrun since 2008:

Quote from bobsauce100:
        Comment on your video: Indy3D Speedrun - 04 - Shambala Sanctuary - 21;58 - Segment 0-2 (6)
If you back-roll of a ledge and hit the ground you dont take damage Smiley

And, uh, he has a point. I'm kinda embarassed I didn't catch it myself.
It does show up a couple of times in the run strategies, by coincidence; mostly I thought I was being extra fast because of not having to turn around.

So: Here's what I've learned from a day of experimenting.

In the very specific case of backwards rolling (and not forward hops, forward jumps, backwards hops, forward rolls, or sideways rolls) there's a bug where, after Indy completes the getting-back-up animation (mid-air), all momentum is lost, and he then drops out of the air, throwing his hands in the air expecting to grab a ledge (like he just don't care).

Under normal circumstances, Indy will fall about three or four Indies before dying (1 Indy = height of 1 Indiana Jones). Now, that roll animation completes after about 5 or 6 Indies , but then it resets the fall damage meter for another 3-4 Indies. So, you basically 2,5x the amount of falling you can do without dying, with a narrow window right in the middle where you still die.
This might be kinda similar to the glitch I occasionally use, where Indy loses momentum when he bounces off something.

So, I've rewatched the entire run, and compiled a list of what I believe to be every single place this new trick might possibly be used.

Canyonlands:
Conceivably, you could roll backwards and land somewhere to skip the first two minutes of the game. The way that area works, is that the flat area at the bottom of the canyon has a property that kills you instantly if you touch it (unless god mode is on). In testing, there are four areas down there that do not have that property:
1. All the set dressing, like the cactus and the ruined building bits. I can hit both of those somewhat reliably, but since the tops are "slippery", Indy slides off and dies.
2. The smaller gullies that lead to the big canyon floor. These area do not have kill fields on the ground, but have triggers that kill Indy mid-air. Although, conceivably, you could roll under that kill field and land (alive) on the gully floor, you die the moment you touch the canyon floor, so you can't get anywhere useful. Although I haven't actually succeed in landing alive in the gullies, so it's possible that kill-field extends to the ground level anyway.
3. The excavation sites, the two small squares. Those are below the canyon floor and do not kill instantly, but I haven't found a way to reach them, and when I reach them with god mode, I can't reach anywhere else.
4. The first step that leads off to the end of the level. The slightly raised area before it kills you instantly, though. I haven't been able to reach that step with a roll at all, although I have reached it by jumping, by jumping at the gully wall on the left side, dying, then bouncing to the step. That doesn't help much.
But it's damn close. In a backwards roll, Indy falls a yard or so short, and jumping, he very nearly survives; if he bounces to the second step he might actually survive completely. But I haven't found a spot that gets him there.

This level, after thorough testing, didn't yield any new shortcuts.

Shambala Sanctuary:
I spend 7 seconds dropping down to the bottom of the clock room, that might be faster.
I spend 4 seconds sliding to the bottom of the water wheel room.
I spend 6 seconds dropping to the bottom of the bell room.
I spend 6 seconds dropping down the clock tower to the treasury.
After planting the bulb and lowering it, it's conceivably possible to drop down the hole it lowered down. I spend about 15 seconds maneuvering the proper route.
[After testing]
Most clock room drops would be fairly insignificant, and the bulb-lowering-hole is filled with a kill-field. You *can* drop straight down to the clock, but there's no straight drops from the top, so you'd still have to do it multiple times.

Palawan Temple:

1. ...MAYBE you could roll down from the bridge area and skip pretty much the the whole level...?
[Tested]
No you cannot. It has an invisi-kill field that kills you instantly, and additionally, you can't get out of that area anyway.

2. The bridge that needs to be cut to proceed; maybe you could roll down there and survive? That would save one-and-a-half minutes.
[Testing...]
Aw hell. It does work. You have to stand on the rope of the half-broken bridge, but it works. This is almost the biggest skip in the game.
...Balls. I have to re-do half that level now, starting from segment 05.

3. After getting the Shark Key, I could (quite reliably) drop down *without* damaging Indy. That's one full health pack's worth of damage, which takes a couple seconds to pick up. But I don't use any health kits for the rest of the level, so it makes no difference.
Although...
[Testing]
Crap. Instead of rolling left, and then missing the timing on the lava platforms so I have to wait a bit for the cycle to reset, I can roll right and immediately jump on the platforms. In addition to saving all that health, that trip goes from 26,983 seconds to 20,083 seconds.
And since I'm redoing 5/8 segments to save a minute-'n-a-half, I can redo 7/8 segments to save 6,9 seconds more.
Or redo 8/8 segments so that whole level is properly awesome resolution and audio level and audio sync and whatnot. That was the only level I ever played on my previous computer, and the audio levels are messed up.
Also, I can not bother to pick up some sprigs in Segment 2 or so. It takes 2,2 seconds to pick up a sprig, but it only heals 1/3rd of Indy's health. That time is (probably) better spent on full medpacks/herbs.
At the start of Temple, I have 6 medkits/sprigs and 4 medpacks/herbs. I still think it's worth it to spend 10 seconds stocking up on herbs for pretty much the rest of the game, but the sprigs can go.

So yeah. I'm now back to August 2008 or so, in terms of progress.
That´s some nice finds over there. Is there a way of planning how much medkits/herbs you would need for the entire run? I mean instead of collecting everything you need at once in the first levels, so you have them for the rest of the game, you could somehow figure out the exact number you need, and get them throughout all levels, just picking up the ones you need, which waste the less time. Like f.e. in Palawan Lagoon, after you swing over from the ship and dig, the herbs are on your way, so you waste minimal time compared to jeep treck, where 7 seconds are wasted as you pointed out. I remember that after level 10 you loose all your weapons, but you can get them back. Do you loose medkits/herbs too?

Also another thing i forgot to mention, the same goes with picking up ammo, f.e. in Babylon picking up shotgun ammo, which you don´t use, wasted maybe 4 seconds. Shooting soldiers who maybe wouldn´t bother you is an issue too. In Shambala the second video you could probably be @2:56 instead of @3:07 at jumping if you wouldn´t shoot the two soldiers and collect one ammo. I know that you have to come to the same place again after you get the plant, but maybe it would be more effective shooting them later or even not shooting them at all. And in Palawan Volcano beginning @4:52 it looks like there sure must be a way of reducing time by better handling with the soldiers or not running to the right @4:55.

Well that´s just some ideas for minor time improvement, but still, keep up the good work. Wink
Well i installed the game after i last played it in 2002. In Jeep Trek level i tried to jump on the second bridge, where you normally are supposed to turn left and drive across the rock, and it works if you hit it in full speed at the edge. It might save 3 seconds there.
Edit history:
Goggen: 2012-09-10 04:51:04 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-10 04:50:16 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-10 04:48:55 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-10 04:46:56 pm
Goggen: 2012-09-10 04:45:48 pm
"Time to go to work..."
Quote from Molotok:
That´s some nice finds over there. Is there a way of planning how much medkits/herbs you would need for the entire run? I mean instead of collecting everything you need at once in the first levels, so you have them for the rest of the game, you could somehow figure out the exact number you need, and get them throughout all levels, just picking up the ones you need, which waste the less time. Like f.e. in Palawan Lagoon, after you swing over from the ship and dig, the herbs are on your way, so you waste minimal time compared to jeep treck, where 7 seconds are wasted as you pointed out. I remember that after level 10 you loose all your weapons, but you can get them back. Do you loose medkits/herbs too?

Also another thing i forgot to mention, the same goes with picking up ammo, f.e. in Babylon picking up shotgun ammo, which you don´t use, wasted maybe 4 seconds. Shooting soldiers who maybe wouldn´t bother you is an issue too. In Shambala the second video you could probably be @2:56 instead of @3:07 at jumping if you wouldn´t shoot the two soldiers and collect one ammo. I know that you have to come to the same place again after you get the plant, but maybe it would be more effective shooting them later or even not shooting them at all. And in Palawan Volcano beginning @4:52 it looks like there sure must be a way of reducing time by better handling with the soldiers or not running to the right @4:55.

Well that´s just some ideas for minor time improvement, but still, keep up the good work. Wink

Yep, I agree.
The big problem with this run is; when I had time to plan and start running was in 2007, and I didn't think far enough ahead to accurately plan out medpack usage.
Or, if I did, I wiped that stuff off the face of the earth when my hard drive collapsed. Or, at least, wiped it to some attic somewhere where there might be some backup disk or something. Maybe.
If I'd been clever back in 2007, I'd have recorded my run-through of the game then, when I was looking to see if the game could even run from start to finish in Windows XP.
At the moment, I'm two levels ahead on planning; Palawan Temple needs to be re-run, and Jeep Trek is all planned out, so it could be a good idea to record ahead just to have a run-through archived for whenever the next time is that I have spare time. (I'm guessing 2017.)

Since I'm redoing Palawan Temple, I'm also going to not pick up two medicinal sprigs (saving 5-8 seconds), and then in Jeep Trek, not pick up the medpack (7 seconds).
The big danger is that at some point in the future levels, I might need an awful lot of medicine awfully fast, and then I might be screwed. The run is six hours long, so "wasting" a minute on medkits that I don't end up using seems wasteful, but it's not really that significant, and the alternative might be that I never finish the run at all, if I basically have to run the game twice; once to figure out the required number of medkits, and once more to record it.
There's a couple spots where I expect I might use a lot of medkits, though:
Using the electric machine part (especially the bossfight). Normally, you'd have to wait for the Aetherium Poisoning meter to drop, or you take damage. (Two blasts of Urgon's Part in quick succession will drain all life.)
I also suspect I might use medkits in the Aetherium, since you're supposed to wait around in "real" space for Aetherium Poisoning to wear off so you don't continuously lose health. ...Or use medkits. The math might not work out, though; if I can recharge reality in less time than it originally took to get that medkit, for instance.
See, this is the kind of thing it would've been real clever to test and document back when I was doing testing of the whole game.

As for Shambala Sanctuary: Since the commies move unpredictably, it was better to kill them after they spawned, than hope that they don't screw up a later segment somehow. The first guy I shoot in the back while we're both running, so that couldn't have been faster, but the two others was awful. Just awful. I missed the first one once, and the second one five times. Don't put enemy fights at the end of segments!
However, I probably lose only about 5 seconds in missed shots, and if they're running, there's nothing more you can do to shoot them anyway. And since I was moving through that area later; yeah, it probably was a good idea to take them out. I do skip a few guys in the clock tower, and the rifle guy at the top I pretty much had to take out.
As for Palawan Volcano; nope, couldn't go much better than that. First guy moved out of the way, so I didn't have to finish gunning him down, and the second guy was in the way and had to be gunned down just for that. And I needed the ammo to the right (inside the barrel because the level designer didn't pay attention, hah); the guys from the elevator would either have to be gunned down with a revolver (at great health expense) or I'd have to wait for a grenade to take 'em out. Either way, I couldn't be as fast as I am there without all that SMG ammo. I could either spend that ammo-picking-up-time on that, or on the dozen health kits I'd need to survive the rest of the level. The one I maybe could have avoided was the one guy at the very end, who would probably not have bothered me if I ran right for the exit.

As for ammo:
At the current point, I have picked up 30 rounds of Tokarev pistol ammo (I have used 0, and expect to continue that trend). However, I ended up needing that ammo, or at least any ammo for the Tokarev, since Palawan Temple crashes if I start it with revolver and machete equipped. I don't know if the Tokarev was the key or the submachine gun, but it came in handy. Also, I didn't waste any time on that, since I was waiting for an elevator when I picked up those three pistols.
I pick up a little rifle ammo back in Babylon, which I did actually end up using. I now have 19 left, so I probably picked up too much; I picked up one at the truck parking space, and then one more after Turner's introduction, and both of those were on the route anyway. I pick up two in Shambala, but I was already standing on top of one anyway, and the other I would have still been waiting for the holstering of the pistol before I could climb up, so other than the 2,2s pickup I don't waste more time.
I used one round in Palawan Volcano to blow up a barrel, and since the rifle has the second longest range of anything in the game, there might be other spots where it comes in handy. I'm especially looking at killing those awful hyenas, and there's also spots here and there where there's enemies far off that I can deal with and save health. Although generally, health is better to spend time picking up than bullets.
I have 30 rounds of SMG ammo left, and that thing chews up commies like a dream. If there's any more within arms' reach I'll probably pick it up, since I need a bunch for Turner's boss fight.
I also have 4 grenades; I could probably have made do without and picked up extra health instead. The first place place I use one in Volcano works out great, the second is real awkward, since I have to wait for it to blow and then I still get shot a bunch afterwards. But I figure there might be a few spots I can use one, maybe in V.I. Pudovkin or some other commie-heavy spot, where I can just chuck one around a corner and then not have to deal with enemies later. That rifle guy in Volcano worked out great.

Moving forwards, I might as well review the remaining weapons:
Machine Pistol (Mauser C96): Useless. It almost kills slower than the revolver, since it takes more shots to finish the job, and you have to spend 2,2 seconds picking it up.
Shotgun (Some kinda Browning?): Useless. I'm pretty sure I kill faster with pistols, but even if not, I could just use up rifle ammo at short range.
Satchel: Might be useful in very specific circumstances, such as setting them down somewhere you know the enemy is going to be before they arrive. But at that point, chucking grenades probably works too.
Bazooka: Aw yeah. I'm pickin' up all the bazooka the game gives me, since it has the longest range of anything in the game. I'm especially thinking about using them to shoot hyenas, because driving them down is going to be a pain. Also, I'll be in the shack where you get the first ammo for it, so if I plan it out I can grab some before I go hunt hyenas. The bazooka is also useful in Infernal Machine and Aetherium, since there's some floaty enemies that are real annoying.

As for getting the medkits and other equipment back in the ship level: I'm pretty sure you get all equipment back, and in the same exact amounts. I believe the exact moment is when he says the terrible joke about Smith & Wesson being his favorite law firm. In a quick test, it doesn't seem like you lose anything between Olmec Valley and Meroë, although there was a bunch of equipment change that would have obscured it anyway.

Other results from the quick test:
Shotguns are useless against hyenas. Also rocket launchers, (they dodge the rockets!) with the possible exception of the two hyenas that spawn when you first talk to the kid. There's also two sets of rockets and a medpack in the shack.
You could chuck a grenade into the shack without standing by the window. But it seems like the cutscene doesn't fire unless you're standing next to the window. Also, if you go in the shack before you finish killing all the hyenas, (at least while testing) three of them spawn just outside. Conceivably, you could chuck a grenade out the window. In this scenario, the bazooka was effective, at point blanc range. Also, if multiple hyenas are running at you in a single-file line (to hide their numbers), a rocket fired at the lead hyena will hit the second hyena.
Also, bazookas are super effective against scorpions.

Quote from Molotok:
Well i installed the game after i last played it in 2002. In Jeep Trek level i tried to jump on the second bridge, where you normally are supposed to turn left and drive across the rock, and it works if you hit it in full speed at the edge. It might save 3 seconds there.

Yep, that does work. I tried a couple times in testing but didn't make it, and assumed they'd put blocks on it like they do at the next jump. But nope, now I've made the jump every time I've tried.
It saves about 1,7 seconds, but every little bit helps! Thanks!

Watch the wonderful changes here:

If you have any more tips, please don't hesitate to share them! They're much appreciated!
I reached the V.I.Pudovkin level and yes i get everything back, including medkits. So far i don´t know any more tricks because i honestly just installed it to play it through again cause of nostalgia not to specific searching for tricks. Grin
But i will try to find ways to improve times in the levels you did so far where i think time could be saved.

Also one thing i noticed just now, the whole speedrun consists of 17 levels including the Peru level where you have to buy a map first. How does it count for the speedrun? I mean in the levels so far you don´t collect any treasure, but to get to Peru level you have to(or not?). I guess then every level must be seen seperately, with time wasting at the trade station not counting, but with that in mind, couldn´t you just collect treasure where you don´t waste too much time in the levels and buy items you need in the station instead of collecting the stuff through out the whole game(not counting the medkits and ammo which are on your way).
Edit history:
Goggen: 2012-09-12 08:52:24 am
Goggen: 2012-09-12 08:51:39 am
Goggen: 2012-09-12 08:48:36 am
"Time to go to work..."
The Peru level unlocks automatically when you finish the game, so I don't need to spend any time at all collecting treasures to unlock it. In a 100% run there might be some benefit to doing it early, since it has an insane amount of health and treasures to pick up which could come in handy. Collecting all treasures would require a bunch of tricks, and many of them could have health-intensive shortcuts. ...But I'm not doing a 100% run.

Also, Fraps is incapable of recording the Trade Station at all, so it would be kind of awkward to buy anything in the run. The only thing it would be good for would be to pick up real expensive treasures and spend that money on things; for instance, if you could pick up a $500 treasure at one point and buy 5 $100 medkits, you'd save 8,8 seconds on pickups. But since I want full medpacks, there's few circumstances where that math could work in my favour, since very few treasures are worth more than the only thing I need to pick up; full medpacks. The only thing that's actually tempting is buying ammunition for the SMG or the bazooka. However, every single treasure is a 2,2 second pickup, so I haven't planned any treasure pickups at all, with the exception of one in Olmec Valley, which is how you trigger the descent into the pyramid. I think that's a gold idol (If it is, I have a pretty good memory! *EDIT* Yes I have!) and I could be buying some ammo with that. But recording it is tricky, I may have to do screenshots to show what I bought.

[EDIT]
Oh right. Now I remember why I never bother picking up any treasures.
I couldn't find an online guide for it, so I quickly went and checked, and here's a list of treasure values:
Red gem $10
Silver coins $40
Gold coins $50
Box o' coins $60
Gold idol $100

Also, stuff you can buy:
SMG rounds $100
Rifle rounds $50
9mm rounds $50 (Incorrect! The Tokarev TT-33 was 7,62mm!)
Grenade $20 (I don't know if this is one, or a pack of three)
Medkit/sprigs $100
Medpack/herbs $300
Secret Map $2500

Don't know how much bazooka rounds go for, though. I could conceivably have saved time picking up treasures and buying ammo with them (grenades and rifle) rather than picking up the ammo directly, but then I'd need to go out of my way to get the treasures. Additionally, I need to have picked up one first so it's available in the Trade Post; the auto pistol was unavailable at the end of Jeep Trek, even though it had been showing up since Tian Shan. So the most I could have saved would have been to pick up one gold idol and then buy 2 rifle ammos or 5 grenades, but since I've already picked up too many rifle ammos and grenades anyway, there wouldn't have been any point in doing so.
So yeah. I don't think anything is more valuable than the gold idols until you get to the Aetherium, and at that point, if I need to buy anything, I done messed up. Since pretty much the only thing I'm picking up these days is medpacks, which go for $300 each, I don't think I need to pick up any treasures ever.
Quote:
The Peru level unlocks automatically when you finish the game, so I don't need to spend any time at all collecting treasures to unlock it.

Didn´t knew that, i remember always buying the secret map in the past.

Quote:
Don't know how much bazooka rounds go for, though.

Bazooka ammo costs $30, you get 3 rockets, same goes for grenades, but for $20.

Btw do you have any progress by now, the Jeep Trek level is very short and the time should be about 2:40 or 2:3X, considering your video. I´m also curious about the Palawan Temple rerun. Wink
"Time to go to work..."
Quote from Molotok:
Bazooka ammo costs $30, you get 3 rockets, same goes for grenades, but for $20.

Btw do you have any progress by now, the Jeep Trek level is very short and the time should be about 2:40 or 2:3X, considering your video. I´m also curious about the Palawan Temple rerun. Wink

Thanks for the price list. Hm. I can buy 9 rockets for $90. Sweet. I could also buy 6 rockets and 6 grenades to spend the full $100, but I haven't figured out where to really use any grenades, so that doesn't help much. But food for thought...

As for progress in Palawan; none, really. At the moment I'm working on assembling video playthroughs of upcoming levels to help plan medkit and ammo usage; since I'm redoing Palawan Temple, and I pick up a a lot of health there, this seems like a clever time to plan ahead a little. From the current looks of things, I may end up using 1 medpack in Teotihuacan, or, uh, 0. Also, I may use 2 grenades, or, uh, 0. It seems possible to backwards roll quite a lot in that level, but Speytsnaz are bothering me for the big one. Hence the grenades. I have a playthrough where I end with just over a pixel of red left, but I had to kill a bunch of Speytsnazies offscreen for that.
But other than that, that level's mostly planned out. I just need to double-check the feasibility of some things, and check a separate route.
I also applied the backwards roll to Olmec Valley, which saves a little time lining up a forward roll to a palm tree at the start.

Current plan is to run ahead with the work-in-progress videos so I have a better plan going forward. It's been tricky figuring out what the heck I meant back in 2007 when I wrote down what the most efficient gear-puzzle-solution was. It's smart to have video of it.
I finally finished the game, the Infernal Machine level turned out to be very short though, didn´t remember that to be that easy in the past. I killed that Turner fool with the bazooka, but it took some time cause the bazooka rocket is not that fast and he has time to turn invisible. I think its faster to take him out without it, with machine gun at best i guess. You play at easy right?

Quote:
I could also buy 6 rockets and 6 grenades to spend the full $100, but I haven't figured out where to really use any grenades, so that doesn't help much.
Yeah, grenades seem to be utter useless in the game, I maybe used them three times in the whole game. Playing through the levels it seemed enough to pick up the grenades at Palawan Volcano for the whole game. The time bomb thingie is the most useless weapon of all of them tough. Maybe you will need the money to buy one round for the machine gun cause of that fool in level 15. You should get a lot bazooka ammo in level 12 and 13.

Quote:
From the current looks of things, I may end up using 1 medpack in Teotihuacan, or, uh, 0. Also, I may use 2 grenades, or, uh, 0. It seems possible to backwards roll quite a lot in that level, but Speytsnaz are bothering me for the big one. Hence the grenades. I have a playthrough where I end with just over a pixel of red left, but I had to kill a bunch of Speytsnazies offscreen for that.
They are not SpaceNazies, its Speznas, a Russian special force, but nonetheless somehow i tried to do the level again after i finished it, but when i load it i loose all weapons including the machete which is very unfortunate cause i can´t finish the level anymore... will try to play through the game at easy again and make some savegames at every start of a level and hope to find some time improvements. By the way in which order do you get the statues?
Edit history:
Goggen: 2012-09-17 03:30:09 pm
"Time to go to work..."
Update!
Work-in-progress runthrough of Teotihuacan:

I've been sitting on this for days, but haven't been able to upload it because of encoding troubles in VirtualDub (audio sync issues) that I had to fix using AVISynth, an unusuable piece-of-crap that alone has wasted more than four days of my speedrunning time by being needlessly difficult to use. See, in VirtualDub, I press "Append" and then it appends. No having to write ridiculous script files that end up not even working and being less helpful about it than a Commodore 64. Learning a new scripting language should not be a requirement for basic video editing, in my humble opinion as someone who has studied both video editing and scripting languages.

And it would take me a couple months to figure out how to do that awesomely inconspicuous flipping of the footage when I accidentally ran the wrong way. Try to line that up without a user interface, you syntax-erroring bastards!

Quote from Molotok:
I finally finished the game, the Infernal Machine level turned out to be very short though, didn´t remember that to be that easy in the past. I killed that Turner fool with the bazooka, but it took some time cause the bazooka rocket is not that fast and he has time to turn invisible. I think its faster to take him out without it, with machine gun at best i guess. You play at easy right?

No, I've been playing on the default difficulty "Doctor Jones", which is actually the hardest difficulty, on closer inspection. I'm not sure what changes, but unless it changes fall damage it doesn't make much of a difference in a speedrun. I've taken very little bullet damage so far, and I have a surplus of medpacks anyway.
In testing I also settled on the SMG for Turner's fight, but I couldn't successfully kill him with the bazooka at all, so when I get that far, I'll do some tests to see what's fastest.

Quote:
Yeah, grenades seem to be utter useless in the game, I maybe used them three times in the whole game. Playing through the levels it seemed enough to pick up the grenades at Palawan Volcano for the whole game. The time bomb thingie is the most useless weapon of all of them tough. Maybe you will need the money to buy one round for the machine gun cause of that fool in level 15. You should get a lot bazooka ammo in level 12 and 13.

Actually, both fists and whip are slightly more useless. It's conceivable that I could drop a satchel charge while someone is chasing me, but the wind-up on the whip is so incredibly long that there's no chance of succesfully disarming anyone ever. But yeah, I don't think I'll be picking up any satchel charges. As for buying SMG ammo, that stuff's real expensive, compared to the amount of killing I could do with a whole lot of rockets; those have incredible range, and are more of a fire-and-forget one-hit-kill kind of thing. If I need anyone killed, it takes 3-5 shots with bullets, and although the SMG is fast, it's not as fast as 1 shot from the bazooka; and I don't have to keep aiming with the bazooka once the rocket's away. We'll see if I have any real opportunities for it though, I didn't have a ton of luck against hyenas while fooling around in Meroë, and there's not that many enemies left for the rest of the game.

Quote:
They are not SpaceNazies, its Speznas, a Russian special force, but nonetheless somehow i tried to do the level again after i finished it, but when i load it i loose all weapons including the machete which is very unfortunate cause i can´t finish the level anymore... will try to play through the game at easy again and make some savegames at every start of a level and hope to find some time improvements. By the way in which order do you get the statues?

In the subtitles for this level they use the very odd spelling of "speytsnaz", which I found amusing. At the time (1947), "speytsnaz" would just be a generic word for "elite", they didn't train dedicated speytsnaz battalions until 1950. ...Says Wikipedia.
Losing all weapons on a level load is a bug I've never even heard of. And it's certainly not something that's beneficial to speedrunning, so I'll try to stay away from that.
I got the statues in order from bottom to top, jaguar-bird-fish. It should be the fastest, since you can drop down to the gear puzzle room from any of the statues, provided that you get them in that order. It also doesn't seem likely that any other order could be faster, since the route for each statue starts in that room anyway, and picking up a statue opens up the level above which you can't get to, with no obvious shortcuts elsewhere.

I also found out that sideways rolling while using the gear controls seems to take 80 frames, while running over and pressing takes 100. So that's e two seconds saves. Yay.
[EDIT]
It's less clear-cut than that, since on closer inspection, rolling is 80-100 frames, and running is 81-130. So I might have to do some thorougher measurements later.

Since my vacation's almost over, and I haven't made any actual running progress, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in my progress. I'll try to get some more works-in-progresses done, though, but it doesn't look like the run's getting finished before work starts back up again on Saturday, guys. Also Torchlight II and Borderlands II, and if I don't play those co-op with my friends on release, I ain't playing co-op with my friends. But I'll see what I can do before then.
Quote:
Actually, both fists and whip are slightly more useless.
Well, the whip is a very useful tool because without it you can´t proceed in the game... I didn´t even consider the fists to be a weapon, but yeah since you have unlimited revolver ammo this is the most useless "weapon" in the game. xD

Quote:
I didn't have a ton of luck against hyenas while fooling around in Meroë
Isn´t driving them down just faster?

Quote:
Update!
Work-in-progress runthrough of Teotihuacan:
Whoa seems like a flawless strategy, I don´t see what can be done better there. thumbsup But why does the first spiderweb pop like gum, lmao.
Also at 0:40 how much is it faster than first grab the key and then pop the web? From 11:45 - 11:55 my eyes popped out, man, I guess you died pretty often at that place, especially considering the Speznas guys there just need one bullet to kill you.
Seeing this level the conclusion is that the Speznas guys don´t have a clear positon on whether you should freeze("Stoy na meste" or "Stoy") or come("Idi syuda"), but nonetheless they all agree in shooting you. Also they, the spiders, snakes and scorpions are pretty incompetent at what they are doing. Grin
Edit history:
Goggen: 2012-09-18 08:35:47 am
Goggen: 2012-09-18 08:32:26 am
Goggen: 2012-09-18 08:31:32 am
"Time to go to work..."
Quote from Molotok:
Quote:
I didn't have a ton of luck against hyenas while fooling around in Meroë
Isn´t driving them down just faster?

Not necessarily. You sometimes have to drive out of your way to get to them, and it's hard to beat the 0,1 seconds it takes to fire the bazooka. In practice though, both are kinda difficult, since the hyenas don't like being shot at or driven over, and try to dodge. If I can't reliably shoot them, I'll have to run them over.
So far, the basicest strategy I have is to drive to the shack, get in, kill all the hyenas that spawn outside, then get to the kid which spawns two more hyenas, and that should be almost all of the hyenas. I believe you have to kill 10; I counted 3 or so at the shack when I did that, and 3-4 show up in front of the kid, and I've seen 3 spawn at the same time behind a pyramid in the corner. If this is reliable, I could maybe get all of them real fast, but I have my doubts.

Quote:
Whoa seems like a flawless strategy, I don´t see what can be done better there. thumbsup But why does the first spiderweb pop like gum, lmao.

I'm not sure I know which one you mean; if it's the single green frame at the exact moment I slash the very first web, that's an AVISynth thing that shouldn't be happening, but it does, because AVISynth sucks. "Sure, it makes sense that blank frames should be green instead of black!" If you're talking about where I slash the darkness twice after I slash the web, and then there's a green splat when I run over to the button, that's because I slashed a spider twice, and running a spider over counts as a hit, finishing it off. Although it's actually faster to just ignore the spider.

Quote:
Also at 0:40 how much is it faster than first grab the key and then pop the web?

If you pay close attention, you see the floor opening up underneath Indy, so I'm on a time budget. It could be faster though, but here are the two options:
1. Slice the web, wait for the machete to holster, roll down the hallway.
2. Pick up the key, run to the web, unholster the machete, slice the web, run down the hallway.
I'm pretty sure 2. should be slower. But due diligence, I did a quick test:
Work-in-progress, after editing out the bit where I miss the first swing: 473 frames.
Option 2: 489, then 473 frames.
Option 1 again: 477 frames.
So the test was actually inconclusive. It's on average faster to roll, but the options seem identical. I'll make a note to test it further when it's time to run.
Also, interestingly, I just experienced the exact same bug you had, where my level save for Teotihuacan just lost all my equipment. Which is super weird, because I've loaded that save a bunch of times and it had all my stuff in it, and it hasn't been touched since. Odd.

Quote:
From 11:45 - 11:55 my eyes popped out, man, I guess you died pretty often at that place, especially considering the Speznas guys there just need one bullet to kill you.
Seeing this level the conclusion is that the Speznas guys don´t have a clear positon on whether you should freeze("Stoy na meste" or "Stoy") or come("Idi syuda"), but nonetheless they all agree in shooting you. Also they, the spiders, snakes and scorpions are pretty incompetent at what they are doing. Grin

Heh, yeah, that was pretty harrowing. At that point in the level, I had two versions; 17A-18A  and 17B-18B. 17 goes from after picking up the last idol, to placing all the idols on their pedestals, and 18 is from the end of that, to the end of the level.
In 17A I had 1.2 circles at the start, but then didn't lose any health on the way down because I took the long route to the idols. On the way down to the statue though (18A) I lost all but 0,03 circles setting up the mirror. (Hey, there's 32 notches along the health circle. Didn't notice that before. I had less than one left. That's less than 1% health!)
In 17b, I start out with full health, then roll down to the bottom of the room, being left with, in this order: 0.6/3, 0.6/3, 0.7/3, 0.3/3, and 0.03/3. I kept going, because the last four times I had died pretty quick, but when I made it to the end itt proved it was possible to make it through that last room without losing health, at least 1/7 or so times. So, if I could make it to the final idol with 2.3/3 health, I should be able to make it all the way down and not ever have to use a medkit. And I can, since there's a slightly less fast way to drop down from the bird idol to the statue without losing any health at all. So if I make it to the end of the entire game without using another medkit ever and have any left over, I can use one here to drop down extra incautiously.
Overall though, I probably didn't die much more than 10-30 times though, which is nothin' compared to finished-grade speedrunning; here, I didn't have to make it through a whole segment. It's a shame I don't have my statistics handy, but one level I do have statistics of, Babylon single-segment, "took 491 attempts, that is FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETY [ONE] utter failures, and eleven hours thirty-eight minutes of my time." And then I still did it over again. So when I have the time for speedrunning, I do have the patience for it.

Other than that though, I really appreciate the Russian translations. They use a lot of weird transcription in the subtitles, and they don't subtitle the enemies at all, so it's fun to know what they're actually saying without having to clumsily transcribe it into Google Translate until the sexy-voiced Russian Google Translate Robot Lady sounds kinda like the what maybe the Russians are yelling. Apparently the game has a heavy American accent on the Russian, could you confirm that?
Quote:
I'm not sure I know which one you mean;
I meant the sound when you hit the every first spiderweb, it sounds like bubble gum popping.

Quote:
If you pay close attention, you see the floor opening up underneath Indy, so I'm on a time budget. It could be faster though, but here are the two options:
1. Slice the web, wait for the machete to holster, roll down the hallway.
2. Pick up the key, run to the web, unholster the machete, slice the web, run down the hallway...

...Also, interestingly, I just experienced the exact same bug you had, where my level save for Teotihuacan just lost all my equipment.
Thought that the second method must be faster cause you have a shorter route(you don´t have to go the distance from web to key back), but the distance is so short that it really doesn´t matter timewise, guess the roll gains some milliseconds of time too.

Yeah that stinks I tried to play on Jeep Trek level from a savegame, but still i loose all weapons on the level load, also Indy doesn´t put on the lighter which he normally does at the beginning of level 9.

Quote:
"took 491 attempts, that is FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETY [ONE] utter failures, and eleven hours thirty-eight minutes of my time."
Haha, well speedrunning is a shitload of work to do. I tried to run GTA2 here some years ago and i spent a lot of time for it , although not as much as you cause the game is not that long and I didn´t really check all routes, tricks and options i had, so the times there are still far from best.

Quote:
Apparently the game has a heavy American accent on the Russian, could you confirm that?
I play the German version which has the same voices of the soldiers but Volodnikov is different. In the English version you sometimes can hear out the American accent when he f.e. says "Speytsnaz" the rest isn´t right too but at least you can´t tell if its American accent or not, besides he speaks in a normal way when he says the English words. But in the German version Volodnikov pronounces every word, even the German, in a very stereotyped way, like how the Germans expect the Russians to speak their language...

Well some translations: Volodnikov says "Tovarishi" which means comrades and "Berite positsiyi" which is wrong in the context because "berite" means more like taking something with your hands. Right should be "zanimayte positsiyi", although my Russian is rusty as hell. The soldiers mostly sound normal without any accent, but with an assumed voice. "Ey ti" = "Hey you", "Idi syuda" = "Come here", "Ti apyat zdes?" = "You are here again?"
I also remember in the Jeep Trek level when you die they say "Kakaya prikrasnaya (kozhnaya) jacketka" = "What a beautiful (leather)jacket". That´s even more funny considering that Indy only wears the jacket in the snow levels.

So how´s the run going, any news on progress?
Edit history:
Goggen: 2012-10-01 02:13:59 pm
Goggen: 2012-10-01 02:13:44 pm
"Time to go to work..."
Quote from Molotok:
So how´s the run going, any news on progress?

Yeah, no progress. Work has started up again, and the games release season has begun, so I haven't had any time for speedrunning. It's hard to put off a game like Borderlands 2, because if I'm going to play it co-op, I'm going to have to play it co-op now. Nobody wanted to play co-op Borderlands 1 with me when I got around to that in 2011. And for someone who actually studied game design, being chronically two years behind isn't good, so I've been trying to devote more time to playing current games. All in all, I would probably have gotten more done by devoting those three weeks or so of spare time to working my way through the backlog of games I've been meaning to get to, but this is something I've been putting off for even longer. It's a shame I didn't get any farther than detail planning Jeep Trek and Teotihuacan and figuring out that trick in Palawan Temple. But hey, that's way more stuff than I got done in the preceding three years!

I don't see any obvious patches of spare time coming up, and I'm actually starting to get problems with hard drive space, so I think that this run is sadly on hold again. Like always, I'll see when there's an obvious opportunity to re-configure my computer for speedrunning, and one nice thing I've learned from this session is that it should be easier to get something done now that I've shifted focus to planning videos rather than final speedrun-quality runs, which take even more time to make. It shouldn't be 2016 by the next time I've made some more progress.