Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/IGI2.html

I.G.I.-2: Covert Strike (Any %) (Segmented)

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement over the run currently on the site

Congratulations to Mihail 'horned' Petrov!
Thread title:  
Run Information

I.G.I.-2: Covert Strike (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/igi2-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by March 27, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Heavy Metal Powered
There's an "internal server error" trying to download the run comments... Or is that the comments in shape of a joke?
Not a walrus
Hmm, nope, it's definitely blowing up, but I won't be able to investigate until I get home. In the mean time, here:

the date sda was finished: 10'th november 2013
runs type: individual levels ( 19 segments) low%
difficulty: normal
system: PC
name: mihail 'horned' petrov
Comments.

This is the second version of run (corrected misses and used new bugs). As any speedrun,
the goal of this run was completion every mission so quickly as it's possible, therefore
only necessary objectives were completed. In addition I used one game feature - indirect
running: simultaneous pressing keys of side running and direct running (about 10% speed
advantage). Also I took into account that running speed some increases if current weapon is
knife, grenade or nothing (It is game bug if drop weapon and quickly press key with slot for
this weapon. There are weapon name and "0" ammo images on screen. For example it was in first
level with mac10). Also if I drop extra guns then it increased speed (without dependence on
current weapon). So in the game I often dropped primary guns. The accuracy of any gun is very
bad in case of running, so for economy of ammo I often shortly stopped before firing.
There are no quick saves in game, so for completing every mission i made from several hundreds
to thousand tries. Sometimes I tilt down the head while running for decreasing probability
of hitting from enemy.

RUSSIA:

Level 1 "Infiltration"
According to objective I had to find other route except bridge. But I decided that crossing
bridge is faster. In addition time before alarm actuation has large importance. If alarm
is activated too early then all enemies gathers like ants. Therefore alarm security was killed
and several cameras were destroyed. There were several shots on the bridge in order to provoke
enemy open the gate.

Level 2 "Deep in the mines"
In this level I strived for same objective: don't cause alarm too early. At the level end I used
a knife for saving ammo. In addition second train was more useful to fast end by bug - jump
through a moving object. 

Level 3 "The weather station"
It was hotly in spite of snow. There were a lot of enemies with ak74. They kill faster from it.
For time economy I used a bug with tilted head. When I running up to the buildings I made a
couple of shots, so all enemies began to come out from buildings. They crowded on exits so it
was easily to kill them.

Level 4 "Bridge across the Dnestr"
Here it was more difficult. More enemies. Using loud weapons was complicated by snipers on the
opposite side of river. So I made a difficult decision - drop m16. There was hard to survive
while direct running so I used tilted head and jump from door panel.

Level 5 "Ambush"
There were two objectives: to blow up the armoured car and to steal the chip. After these
operations it remained to expect before chopper came flying on evacuation point. (It was no time
dependence from main character) 

Level 6 "Production facility"
There were a lot of enemies too. But this time area is easily visible and I was quickly detected.
Therefore safest way is through the roof as in previous speedrun, but I decided to run and jump
above the central gate. This is hard way so it successed with fast time only once. There were
completed 3 of 5 objectives.

Level 7 "Border crossing"
Here I didn't use any firearms. I knifed one sniper as most dangerous enemy. The direct
non-stop route was complicated by chopper or rather his 0.500 inches machinegun (for comparison
the caliber of "awp" in counter-strike is 0.338 inches ). It can kill from two shots. When
chopper was flying behind it was continuously firing, but there was no hits because bad angle
of aiming. After full turn it can frequently hit, so during approaching chopper I moved
exclusively through bushes as a cover.
I stopped in the last bush and waited when chopper crossed the definite point. In this point I
leave the field of chopper view. After that I with no worry ran to last point.

LYBIA:

Level 8 "Libyan rendezvous"
In this mission such objectives as to find guide, to take bomb and to make a diversion were
optional. I ran almost directly. I dropped primary weapon but took desert eagle later because
the noise needed to open gate. One of the easiest levels.

Level 9 "Prison escape"
I attributed it to hardest levels. There was huge quantity of Arabs with uzi, desert eagles and
a lot of snipers. Tactics without alarm was not fit. They frequently hits, so I had to kill them
all who can prevent prisoner rescue. For quickly killing I purposely activated alarm at
beginning. by couple of shots from ak74 I directed two enemies outside to second door in order
not to break open it during 8 seconds. By this door I walked through the wall and fell down,
which saved more than 10 seconds.
For time economy I used grenade. It killed about 10-15
enemies (I didn't count corpses). Also I had to kill three most dangerous snipers.

Level 10 "Priboi's Villa"
Main goal was survive. In spite of shortness this level was enough difficult (It is first level
where heavy guns like rpg7 appears). Direct run with using windows.

Level 11 "The airfield"
Main objective was actuating the fuel station as fast as possible. Timer at 3 minutes activated
after that. Then I could wait this time and unhurriedly took ammo for .50 browning. But stopping
of fuel station by somebody must not be allowed. So I distracted them by loud shots. Also during
this time I decided to draw my nick on the wall.

Level 12 "Zaleb'S stronghold"
Now I acted as a machine gunner. This is longest level but easy because I was in the chopper
almost all time (It is no time dependence from me)

Level 13 "Showdown at he docks"
Shortest level. I used the bug with crane and with grenade at the end, which killed famous
character and his guards after animation.

CHINA:

Level 14 "Island assault"
Goal - preventing alarm actuation during all level. Otherwise mission aborted. I killed enemies
one after another and watched alarm buttons. Level was the medium complexity.

Level 15 "Air-strike"
Medium level. Main objective is indication on two anti-aircraft defenses in order to navigation
system of fighter could detect it. But it's necessary to approach every defense no farther than
50 meters and to wait not less than 20 seconds. Also for time economy I did not allow to detect
myself. Therefore I killed only two enemies, who spotted me. It was a required minimum.

Level 16 "The ancient temple"
It was a hardest level in game. More enemies with ak74, rpg7, minimi and for the first time
appeared Chinese silent gun with fire rate of 1300 shots per minute (22 sh/second). Also they
have security machineguns with auto aiming. It would be much easier if I could shoot from a
distance. Probably not for nothing that .50 sniper rifle was given. But I decided to complete
level by simple assault even without deactivation security system. That shot at the beginning has
a great importance that make a crowd near the bullet hit, so there are nice situation for
running through backyard.

Level 17 "Secret weapons Lab"
It was not difficult. Main goal - don't cause alarm too early. On the way I "put to sleep" 4
enemies from grenade and destroyed deceptive armoured camera, which was destroyed from 3 shots
(for destroying true armoured camera would have several hundreds of shots). Also I collected three
grenades for the fast end. First grenade killed the ringleader, second - five guards backside and

third grenade killed last five guards.

Level 18 "Mission control"
This mission was the medium complexity. Several shots to 2 posts draw guards who open doors after that.

Level 19 "The launch pad"
Enough difficult level. In the beginning I could not use loud weapons, because special units
with armoured car can come out.
I used clinging jump and was going to bunker. I took an ak74 because
bug with tilted head work better with this weapon so it was not need to kill all of enemies inside the bunker.
Edit history:
ktwo: 2014-03-15 12:24:21 pm
ktwo: 2014-03-15 07:03:39 am
A/V: Looks good to me (but pc capture is not my forte).
Legit: Luckily there are a couple of visible errors in the run, otherwise I wouldn't have known what to say (more about that below).

Gameplay: I've verified a decent amount of runs lately. There have been rejects, there have been accepts that are ok, no particular reason to ask the runner to go back and polish, but still very beatable. And then there are a select few runs that rise above the rest like this one... Even though I spend most of my speedrun time with nes-platformers, the quality of this run (entirely different genre) immediately shines through. The execution is great. There are a few visible mistakes, such as not being able to unlock  a few gates from distance. But this is a single-segment of more than 50 minutes, so these mistakes I could spot are incredibly minor. The routes also look very tight. The runner ignores a lot of enemies, resulting in taking more hits and very near deaths in a few places, but of course also resulting in saved time. This run beats the segmented run on EVERY ONE of the 19 levels. Sure, the routes and the planning have undergone a lot of rework, but it looks like some levels have stayed pretty much the same. Either way, the runner just blasts through like there is no tomorrow.

Even though I've never played this game and that there might be things I'm missing because of it, I have to congratulate the runner on what to me looks like an awesome run. In my opinion, a textbook example of what runs on SDA should be like! I'm also a fan of taking down a segmented run with a single segment run, so bravo for that as well!

ACCEPT (if that wasn't already obvious)

Edit: Like Warepire pointed out, it seems like this is segmented (though I admit that it's really not visible when watching the run), despite it being marked as single segment in the first post. If it's indeed a segmented run, things of course come in a different light than my eulogic comments above. Still, it's a solid improvement and definitely an accept.

Timing (in-game timer, which seems to be accurate):
1 2:53
2 2:38
3 3:24
4 3:44
5 1:23
6 3:41
7 3:11
8 1:32
9 3:22
10 1:27
11 3:59
12 4:34
13 1:04
14 2:37
15 3:49
16 2:05
17 1:58
18 2:51
19 3:36
Edit history:
Warepire: 2014-03-15 07:25:04 am
Heavy Metal Powered
I thought this was a segmented run appended into a single file. I got that impression from the notes. (I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet)
Heavy Metal Powered
Game page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/IGI2.html

Video: Great
Audio: Great
Cheating: None detected

Note: This run is segmented, spliced into a single file. It is NOT single-segment.

Except for the note above, ktwo said it all.

ACCEPT
Not a walrus
Yeah, this is segmented.

Whether or not it's IL depends on if anything carries over from previous missions. Anybody know?
Heavy Metal Powered
Can't remember. I haven't played this game since 2004, and I gave my copy away, so I can't check.
It's kinda hard to track things when just watching the video, but things carry over between levels according to the previous verification thread (https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/project_igi_2_covert_strike__july_2nd_2011.html). Also, the runner calls these low%. In this game low% and any% are the same (=minimum amount of objectives completed) though. I guess there could be a 100% with all objectives completed if anyone bothers.

The big question from my side however is the following. If the runner had passed this off as a single segment run, would anyone be able to detect from just analyzing the video that it's in fact spliced???
Not a walrus
Yeah, if weapons carry over then it's segmented and not ILs.
Edit history:
horned: 2014-03-27 10:34:15 am
weapons carry over 9 times and 9 times not. But I stick to the ILs. Every level begins and ends with videos and weapons carrying over seems that is a step for adding of realistic into the game. In addition player can not make quick save during the level.
Not a walrus
If anything carries over at all it's not "ILs". Not all games fit that category.
Decision posted.
Sorry for late verification,
Here is  per-level saved time compared to old run :

lvl1: -5s / small mistake when firing lock at the end of the mission
lvl2: -2s
lvl3: +0s
lvl4: -28s / nice strategy with very risky run trough
5: -6s
6: -22s / good use of enemy accuracy bug
7: -1s
8: -10s
9: -24s / love your jump through the floor to reach the sewers!
10: -15s
11: -8s
12: -6s
13: -8s
14: -26s
15: -9s
16: -50s / you found a good shortcut for the last part of the temple!
17: -31s / good strategy with grenades, looks a lot more polished than in previous run
18: -18s
19: -27s

4 minutes and 56 seconds saved -> TOTAL time: 53:48

That's a more polished run with new strats, congrats!

PS: too bad some weapons are carried over between levels, cause this game has some speedrun friendly features (in-game per-mission timer, "open" maps, optionnal objectives ...)