Hudson Hawk (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'WhiteHat94'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Hudson Hawk (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/hudsonhawk-20150208/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by May 16, 2015.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
I helped out a bit with the routing for this run and have become quite familiar with the game, so I guess I should start out on this one.

A/V: Good, typical nes-quality.

Gameplay: I watched this run 3-4 times back to back when whitehat first uploaded it to youtube. That's how much I like it. This game is pretty neat, but there is something about the momentum and the jump mechanics that are completely off. Making the movement look this smooth is a far bigger achievement than it might appear at first for someone who hasn't played the game. Anyways, everything is well explained in the run comments. There are a few minor time losses such as mistimed jumps and safety measures to not run into health problems. Overall it's great though. The biggest time losses came from in total 9 missed "double-jumps" (~9 seconds lost). Considering the double-jumps are frame perfect (5 of them in the game), 9 missed jumps is clearly acceptable in my book. Still, there is a bit of room for improvement here if anyone would start grinding out attempts.

After this run was done, there has been some work on a tas. The tas author has found a few new strats that can be used (or might be possible to use) in real-time as well. If whitehat or someone else would pick up this game again, I would recommend looking at least at the following things (there might of course be more):
- A new way of collecting the money at the end of level 1. I compared the tas method with the method in this run and they were equally fast, but I still have the feeling that this could be tweaked somehow. It's just a feeling though. I think we're talking about max 1 second.
- The tas maintains speed and jumps through crawl spaces. I made a quick test of my own. It's possible to do in real time, but difficult. However, that's just from blindly testing without having studied the mechanics behind it. Maybe the success rate could be increased. I think we're talking about 1-2 seconds of potential gain if this can be done consistently in real time.
- The tas uses a more direct route in a few places. I think we're talking about maybe 1-2 seconds of potential gain, but some of these paths could also increase the risk, so it's not sure it would be a good idea to go for them.
- The last room is solved 2 seconds faster. Possibly equally important, it's more or less risk free (whitehat's method looks cool, but is also risky).

Overall, this run is very smooth and well done. There are a few improvements that have been found since this run was done, but even by including them, the time of this run would be difficult to match.

Easy accept
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
A / V : Good
Cheating : None detected
Gameplay : Good from what I can see and from what info I get from reading the run comments + ktwos analysis.

Accept
The Great Farming Empire
A/V Quality - Good
No cheating here

Looks good. I know that this run went through quite a few revisions, so it's interesting to see the culmination of all the work done. Smiley

Accept
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Audio and video are good.
No cheating.

Decision is to Accept.
Decision posted.