--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
MrLonghair: 2013-09-12 04:06:49 am
Audio-guy. twitchtv:ohgoddamnit
Even DealXtreme carry updated splitters now, and the one HDCP-ignoring HDMI capture card they had seems like it was forced out of stock by external forces. Monoprice remains the one 100% trustworthy guaranteed to strip HDCP alternative to speedrunners and streamers living in Mainland Europe and damn right I'm going to inform people about it.
Quote from Cyber Akuma:

Any idea if this one is still the version that strips HDCP? Nearly all of the ones on Amazon have been updated to a version that does not, even if they look exactly the same. And that looks just like the one on Amazon right now.

I went ahead and brought one last week, it arrived today, so far it strips with no problem, but i have framerate issues in the xmb(i probably because thats the only place that runs at 1080p, it might be cause i havnt got a converter for the us power supply that came with it, and i was using one that wasnt made for the thing. But it strips.
Sewell Part Number: SW-23500 is the one the strips HDCP for those still looking for an HDMI solution.

Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Powered-Splitter-Certified-Up-1080p/dp/B003B4O7NS/ref=pd_cp_e_0
eBay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sewell-HDMI-Splitter-1x2-v1-3b-up-to-1440p-/141032757292?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20d635182c    (ships international)

ViewHD : http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Port-Powered-Splitter-1080P/dp/B004F9LVXC/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t
eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewHD-1x2-HDMI-Splitter-v1-3b-One-Input-to-Two-Output-/270641169821?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f0378859d    (ships international)
Quote from Andrew_Mills:
Quote from conquerator3:
I will go with this one - http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=290724340294
Should be the right one, right?

Yes, yes it is (because eBay is informing I've already bought this item - and it strips HDCP fine). Wink

Unless I'm doing this very wrong, these don't work anymore either. Splitter works fine when it's just connected to the PS3 and TV, but as soon as my Elgato's added the TV just shows a black screen and the Elgato software (set to Xbox 360) reports HDCP's getting in the way.

Purchased from that seller, looks exactly the same as it does in the picture.
The only downside of the DVI deal is the restrictive options for Audio. HDMI capture card that bypasses HDCP can support all audio formats on BluRay upto 7.1 losslessly compressed formats. Not a big deal for gaming captures with BMIP etc, but may come in handy if there are better HDMI capture cards down the road that support hidef audio.
Another unit that strips HDCP http://www.ebay.com/itm/Composite-AV-CVBS-L-R-Audio-HDMI-to-HDMI-720P-1080P-HD-Video-Converter-Wii-PS3-/220872328902

It even discloses it as a feature Tongue "Adopting HDCP treaty processing technology, input can decode, remove the HDCP agreement, then send out HDMI signals which without HDCP, make back-end decoding display device without HDCP to receive conveniently."

WORLDWIDE SHIPPING. (Except Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, Germany and Croatia)
Edit history:
ahuynh: 2013-09-12 07:28:30 am
That seems interesting, I wonder if it really works. But at the same time, the splitter that also strips HDCP is useful for recording and minimizing lag.
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2013-09-12 10:45:54 am
thethrillness.blogspot.com
Varion, that is probably where the confusion and false reports are coming from. I have that 1x4 splitter and the way it works for me is:

1. Have only TV connected to splitter.
2. Switch on splitter then wait about 4 seconds.
3. Switch on PS3.
4. Connect capture card to splitter.

If that variation fails you might want to just connect the capture card and see if it's maybe an Elgato issue. Try selecting the "Other" option on input device and HDMI as the input. The 360 profile might have some weird setting.
Quote from TheThrillness:
Varion, that is probably where the confusion and false reports are coming from. I have that 1x4 splitter and the way it works for me is:

1. Have only TV connected to splitter.
2. Switch on splitter then wait about 4 seconds.
3. Switch on PS3.
4. Connect capture card to splitter.

If that variation fails you might want to just connect the capture card and see if it's maybe an Elgato issue. Try selecting the "Other" option on input device and HDMI as the input. The 360 profile might have some weird setting.

Doesn't seem to want to work doing this either. Tried connecting the Elgato to the splitter's input without connecting the TV and it gives the same error too. Also tried messing around with it with the Elgato software off, but that didn't help either.

So:
PS3 connected directly to the splitter's input, TV connected directly to the output - Works
PS3 connected to the Elgato, which is connected to the splitter's input, then TV connected directly to the output - HDCP Error
Switching the splitter on with just the TV connected to the output (nothing connected to the input), switching the PS3 on then connecting that through the Elgato to the splitter's input - HDCP Error
Connecting the PS3 to the TV through the splitter without the Elgato, then switching that in after it's all working - HDCP Error
Connecting the PS3 to the Elgato then to the capture card without anything in the splitter's output - HDCP Error

In all cases the TV's involved it recognises what resolution it's supposed to be outputting at (720p flickers up in the corner) but it just shows a black image. Happens regardless of whether I choose the Xbox 360 profile or Other with HDMI selected, or whether the software's running at all.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
I would like to confirm that I bought the Sewell 1x2 splitter from the website directly and it does strip HDCP. I use a Startech PEXHDCAP and it can detect and record the signal. However, my TV does not for some reason, but only when it's splitting. If I just use it as a passthrough, my TV works fine.
Both Sewell and ViewHD work to strip HDCP. There are 2/3 stupid users on youtube and amazon feedback who said it no longer works because of "an update". Bunch of ballwashing hogs deliberately posting to spread false propaganda (maybe agents of monoprice?) or too stupid to know how to get things to work.

ViewHD in particular is extremely popular HDCP stripper.
Edit history:
MrLonghair: 2013-09-14 12:53:46 pm
MrLonghair: 2013-09-14 12:53:00 pm
MrLonghair: 2013-09-14 12:52:01 pm
ViewHD splitters from years ago vs the latest ones put in stock, somebody should compare them.

e: I am ordering this ViewHD from eBay when I get my cash in, along with completely untested physically identical (on the outside) boxes from China. Last one I tried didn't work at all, but I seem to be the only one using a European HDPVR2 which evidently performs differently from US units (see youtube, guy puts old console composite feeds into the component in cable without trouble). Want to kick that piece of randomly dysfunctional crap out and replace it with PEXHDCAP or something better.

Would also like to kick the Monoprice out of my rig because with at least my European HDPVR2 it requires an active TOSLINK input or the HDMI feed is going to be pitched down, choppy and just broken. This is a first release out of the factory Euro HDPVR2 with a busted analogue video input circuit that despite receipts and everything Hauppauge want me to pay handling for. At least the HDMI works.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261266571979?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Yeah, yeah its Chinese, just saying it arrived today and that I will try it once I have the capture card and report back.
It should work though, it should.
Okay, follow up to my previous post - I am a huge idiot. I had the Elgato in the wrong place, instead of it being PS3 -> Splitter -> Elgato -> TV I had it PS3 -> Elgato -> Splitter -> TV. Only found this out after buying one of the Sewell ones and looking into it when that wouldn't work either.

So in conclusion:
- The 1x4 from that ebay seller linked in my first post still works absolutely fine (I didn't need to mess around in the end when it was in the right place, it worked fine even with everything connected when I turned the PS3 on)
- The 1x2 Sewell ones currently in stock on Amazon UK also work absolutely fine.

Sorry for the confusion.
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2013-09-18 09:35:53 am
thethrillness.blogspot.com
That's cool Varion.

I actually wonder if most of these false claims are because people have made improper configurations like tifozi said.

Also thanks for alerting me the Sewell is back in stock for UK (it was out of stock for about a month or something?). I actually wonder if UK Amazon would ship to other EU destinations for people like MrLonghair.

The link is here if anybody needs it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sewell-HDMI-Splitter-v1-3b-1440p/dp/B00CIZ3HJG
Amazon.co.uk ships to other EU countries. You can even use the login from Amazon.de / .fr / .whatever. You just need a credit card (which is not common here) and shipping cost is a bit on the higher end (~£6).
Sony just announced that the PS4 won't use HDCP for games. twitter source

So the only system that needs a HDCP removal is the PS3. This also means that it will be unlikely that future consoles with 4K support (maybe a powered up version of the PS4 in a few years?) will use HDCP2.
I got mine in the mail today. I have just tested it for an hour or so but so far I can confirm that it do bypass HDCP for my PS3.
Since I live in Sweden I had little success ordering it from Amazon, due to the shipping & handling outside US. Instead, I bought it from this seller via Ebay instead.

Seller: http://www.ebay.com/usr/e*train
Product: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270641169821?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I figured I wanted to pick one up before they become too hard to find.
Quote from SpeedPainter:
I got mine in the mail today. I have just tested it for an hour or so but so far I can confirm that it do bypass HDCP for my PS3.
Since I live in Sweden I had little success ordering it from Amazon, due to the shipping & handling outside US. Instead, I bought it from this seller via Ebay instead.

Seller: http://www.ebay.com/usr/e*train
Product: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270641169821?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I figured I wanted to pick one up before they become too hard to find.

What capturing device are you using?
I use the Elgato Game Capture HD. Just a side note, I had to change the input from "PS3" to "Other" and select HDMI in the settings in order for it to work. I can now stream using HDMI and bypass the encoding delay on my second monitor/tv.
The chinese sh1t doesn't seem to work... oh well.
Quote from conquerator2:

As it does work, but does not strip HDCP... So useless.
Quote from conquerator2:
Quote from conquerator2:

As it does work, but does not strip HDCP... So useless.

To quote myself for the last time,
Could anyone post a step by step guide on how to do this properly?
There are bits around but I am sure it could help more people out there...

For what it's worth, I went PS3 - splitter - 1 out to Avermedia - 2 out to monitor... does not work :/
Thank you!
Kind regards,
Luke
Ok it ODES work. Or I got it to work once... to strip HDCP...
I don't understand the right time at which what should be connected...
So if anyone could lend me a hand, that'd be awesome.
Thanks.
I got it figured.
Works perfectly, hwoever I have to go PS3 HDMI out -> Splitter in -> Splitter out -> Avermedia HDMI in -> Avermedia HDMI out -> Monitor HDMI in...
But works flawlessly from now on... You do however have to engage the HDMI PS3 signal at least once [or twice sometimes] for the splitter to reclock/alter it and remove the HDCP.
Hope this helps somewhat :]
Cheers.