Smiley
Sad
page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 .. 9 .. 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Ok so here is a screenshot of the game freeze on the chickens. Finally Im posting one that is not my own. Here you go chris.

Attachments:
Edit history:
psirockin123: 2014-11-29 10:13:45 pm
Hey haven't seen anybody around in awhile. I haven't played this game since I got my pb but I think I will derust this week. I don't know what time Ill be shooting for but I just feel like playing this game again. Miss watching you chris so I'd love to see you streaming again. Maybe after the semester is over?  Anyway hope to get some new runs soon. Hopefully I can find some new strats.

Also chris I found out that there is a harry potter leader board. We are both already on it with our best times. Somebody updated it for us. Just thought that was cool.
Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
Oh, nice! Do you have a link to the leader boards?
Yeah, this semester is almost over. I've been super busy with finishing papers and all kinds of projects and just haven't had the time to stream. Hopefully I'll be back either late next week or the week after.
Here's the leaderboard. http://www.speedrun.com/hp1gbc

There are a lot of runs on the site. It's kind of like a comprehensive speedrun leaderboard. Anyway I haven't done a run yet but I think I will tonight. It's been awhile. Also glad to hear you will be streaming soon. Maybe I'll have some route changes by then if I'm lucky.
Ok so I did a derust run. I really enjoyed it. It went pretty bad but I hadn't played this game at all since my pb. I got 1:48:41 in game time but I did have a reset (didn't do real time or record). I died in herbology, history of magic, and to the troll. Overall not a bad time. My final fights went better than in my pb except for Quirell who poisoned me again.

One thing I did notice is how terrible the walking is in this game. When you play it every day for months you get used to it but it was awful after not playing for awhile. Anyway I'll probably do more runs when I can.
Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
Okay, so I did a derust run today finally. It was rough, but I have a couple more thoughts on the game:
First, the game crashed when I was in the Forbidden Forest running from a snake and goblin thing. Not sure if this has happened before, but it's another thing that we need to keep a look out for.
Second, the pause glitch that despawns random encounters. Is it possible to use it to despawn boss clouds like the Gringott's Rats, Suit of Armor, etc.?
Hey glad to hear you did a run. Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I have never had the game crash on me before anywhere except the chickens and the weird magic glitch that I found. Hopefully it's very rare. And I never tried to despawn the bosses but that would be cool. I can definitely try it. I have done a run since my last post but watching agdq makes me want to do a run since I made the route while watching last year.
Edit history:
psirockin123: 2015-01-26 08:58:49 pm
psirockin123: 2015-01-26 08:58:34 pm
Ok its time for another update. I actually did a little bit of testing to see if it was possible to despawn any bosses. I couldn't get anywhere with it on the only bosses I think it would be possible to skip (basically the first two bosses excluding malfoy). It would be nice to find a way to skip some though. I might try to skip the troll fight too since that would save so much time and trouble. Anyway since I'm really not doing anything at the moment I think I am going to try to improve my time again. Its definitely improvable by at least a minute (I really haven't looked at this run in a long time but I think this is right just because of the death in my pb). I will probably start doing daily attempts again and I hope that you have time to get back into it too chris. We should do another skype call or try to set up that race we were talking about. Even doing it off stream while skyping will be fun although I do want to try streaming again.

Basically this was a long post to say that I hope to see you streaming again and that I'm going to be running (and maybe routing) this game again.

Also I forgot put this in. Its easier to do the despawning trick with select and not start. This is quicker and, for me, select is set to the y button which makes it a lot better.
Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
Found another item drop that might be useful in the segmented run. The History of Magic boss rat drops Dragonclaw Gloves, which give +4 Strength, +3 Defense, +8 Magic Strength, and +5 Magic Defense. Started streaming again as well today, but a good run died to chickens again. It would've been a PB.

Also, I think the Max MP Glitch needs revisiting. I've tried it against all of the enemies up to the first Gringott's rat with no luck. Tried different enemy positions, killing one enemy then glitching the other, etc. No luck yet.
Edit history:
psirockin123: 2015-01-30 03:04:15 pm
Sorry I missed it. I was actually playing oracle of ages and finally finished it. I think I spent two hours on the final boss. I'll definitely try to make it next time. If I wasn't playing a game I'm sure I would have noticed.

About the drops, I'm sure they are useful but unless you just happen to get it I'm not going to plan for it in the route. Unless it significantly affects the troll fight (a couple of good items together might) I think the time save would be small. It would still be worth equipping because that means less chance of dying which is always good. Also I would like to find a way to use the magic glitch but I've ran out of ideas of how to use it.

Anyway the bad segmented run I did is going up on YouTube now so I'll edit it into this post when it's up. I got 1:41:23 on the game timer so i think when I go for attempts I'll go for 1:41.  Everything in this run, except the potion minigame, is possible single segment so that's my goal.

Here's the run.

Hey so I just watched the end of your run. Did the emulator crash or the game? I have had the game crash when Harry cast a spell so I was just wondering. Also that was definitely a good time. I know you're so I hope to catch it next time.
Edit history:
psirockin123: 2015-01-30 09:52:44 pm
So I'm posting 3 times today. Basically I was looking around for information on old faqs and walkthroughs and I found something pretty cool thats actually relevant to new game+ runs. If you buy 30 pairs of boots in diagon alley at the beginning of the game you get to do an interesting easter egg on the lake. I definitely thought this was fake but it definitely works. Once you get on the lake all you have to do is pause and unpause. Here's a video to see what I'm talking about. Chris have you seen this anywhere? This is my first time seeing it.

Ok so I made a video for this game with commentary. It is my pb run with me explaining the route and just talking about how everything in the run is supposed to work. The written route guide is pretty basic. It just points you in the right direction but I hope this video explains why things in the route are the way they are. This video will definitely help anyone who wants to pick up this game and if you need any help feel free to ask questions here or on the video. Anyway heres the link. Enjoy.

Twitch.tv/chrislaughs

This looks interesting. It was a work-in-progress TAS. The file explaining how jlun2 did this isn't available anymore, but I think this is worth looking in to and seeing if it can be done in real time.
Yeah thats pretty cool. I'll look into it for sure. I think it had something with triggering Ron and the card combo at the same time. I wonder how tight the timing is on it. The rest seems kind of straight forward.
Ok so I've found a lot of cool stuff with this glitch. All recorded. I did get the instant win part but couldn't get the color change. Maybe we could contact the guy. Either way this does lead to interesting discoveries. I found out that you can skip Ron's text with a pause and then you're stuck on the train. If you have time tomorrow we should Skype and try some stuff together. I'll probably keep trying tonight. Really good find though
So this is just a small preview of what happened when I tried this glitch. It was pretty interesting and I found out that this game is not glitchy at all.

Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
Yeah, this glitch is absolutely crazy. From what I understand, it skips the scene by bringing up another menu on the frame before the scene starts. Kind of crazy, actually. I haven't had any luck getting out of the train yet, though. Softlocks galore! Just a note: if you pick the purple deck at the beginning, Merwyn the Malicious I think it's called, that'll give you Drone every time, so we wouldn't have to grind or get lucky for cards.
Yep. I should have mentioned the deck you need. That was the first thing I checked. Also have you been able to get out of the fight with just other Harrys? All you have to do is mash and then for some reason (I'm assuming you're activating a spell) harry will cast a spell and die since he has no hp. I've only been able to get out of the fight with the text at the bottom once. That was when all of the sprites went crazy. In the pictures above the only one I could escape was the one with the rat. Harry instantly fled. I didn't get the victory music. I think in the video he gets it with no enemies on screen which is why he wins instantly. I hope it's not a perfect pixel or frame but it probably is. Still it's worth looking into.
So basically what I found out about skipping the troll is that its pretty hard to do. Maybe impossible real time. I tried for about an hour and I can easily skip the snape text and the troll entering the bathroom but I can't skip the troll. Every time I try to pause as I enter the cutscene the game will just freeze Harry into position. I then can't press any buttons and have to reset. A few times I used a card combo after the pause (I didn't have the same deck but it seems to work mostly the same) and I went from the glitchy fight straight into the troll fight. I was on emulator so I didn't record it. Now i can't recreate that either. At the very least this saves us about 8-10 seconds before you get into the bathroom.
So its been awhile. I've been really busy but I finally got around to uploading the video of me playing around with glitch on the train. This is the only time I escaped the fight and some interesting things happened. Here's the link.

Also I hope to get around to doing more runs when everything settles down. Obviously I'll post here if anything happens. Btw I am free this friday if you happen to have time to stream. Hope to see you around again.
I guess its time for a small update. Yesterday I did a few runs because it had been awhile. First run went ok and I died in potions. Second run I accidentally did the softlock where you press down and select a spell on the same frame and lost a run that was ahead. Third run had the absolute worst lake encounters I've ever seen. I might make a short video of it because it was so bad but it was basically 10-12 encounters of nothing but dragonflies, mostly single ones. Fourth run went well through the lake but was slow in potions and herbology. Also my exp. was messed up and I leveled up outside while getting verdimillious. This has never happened to me and if it does you have to watch out for it. You might not get a level up after the Defense against the dark arts boss. I ended the fight with low health, assumed I leveled up, and instantly died to the giant rat in HOM. Anyway that was it for me.

Still plan to do more runs but I just have to be in the mood to play the game. Hope to see you around soon Chris.
Ok so a major update today. GanD988 was running this on twitch and was messing around with some of the tricks in the tas. He got some of them to work, including the troll skip. It was really inconsistent however and so I wanted to play around with it and see if I could make it more consistent. Luckily I could and so here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U7ksJxVmVvk

Its really weird how this skip works. First of all you need to have won your last battle. If you haven't after you pause you will just freeze in place. This is what happened to me the last time I tried to skip the troll. i spent hours doing things that would have worked if I had won my last battle. Basically how you do the skip is to walk into the cutscene and pause. Its pretty tricky since you can't pause while holding a direction but its doable. Then comes the really strange part. Instead of exiting the menu first go into the equipment screen. Then exit the menu and you skipped the troll. Also you can save and reset the game while in the bathroom and the glitch will still work. This is a really huge deal since the troll is really the only major obstacle in this run. Rng in other areas can be bad but the troll is definitely the worst. Just skipping the fight saves around 3 mins (I think. Still haven't timed it) and we can also skip some earlier items to save more time. I haven't haven't really gone over the route yet so I'm not sure how different the rest of the run will be yet. Anyway I'm really glad this was found. Expect some new runs soon. I'll probably post my first run with the skip even if its not a pb. Its worth seeing the new route in action.
Edit history:
gand988: 2015-06-05 05:54:17 am
gand988: 2015-06-05 03:15:55 am
Hello guys,
first post just to post the progress of the trying of yesterday during the streaming.

as you can see this one was my first attempt, completely random. After the streaming i try again for 1 hr and i found a solid setup. You just need to walk, open the menu and open a sub menu (item or equip). If you see Ron move the skip work.
HF

edit: you don't need to win the fight before the skip, so save and reload is ok
edit 2 : i was trying some skip during the game. when i try the troll fight skip the game froze. maybe we need to equip a specific deck. i was with the 4, the one how have the triplicus Drone. with the first deck with deflect the skip work( but was a old save with no other skip before)
Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
This is really exciting guys! And it's really cool to have another runner for this game, gand988! I'm really looking forward to seeing how far we can take this. I'm going to do some offline practice over the next few days and hopefully will have some time to stream some attempts next week. Smiley