1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Hey Ho Let's Go
Half-Life done Quick in 57:52 minutes on hard skill! This is highly entertaining! This is nearly up to par with QdQ skills I'd say! Go fetch!

FilePlanet is being a cunt as usual of course, but it worked for me if I pushed the "login" button in the upper left corner, then I got re-directed to the correct download page.

I'd get it contact with the blueyonder guys, if I only knew how.... any ideas, anyone?

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetquake/sda/other/halflife_5752.zip
Thread title:  
yuck fou
is it a movie or pak? I haven't got halflife installed but I'd still like to see it.

as for you clicking login...it means you have an account and you have been logged in earlier and the info is stored in a cookie => you could login automatically. It won't work if you haven't got an account or if you have one but haven't logged in for ages.

as for blueyonder...I talked to "oppy" on qnet, he runs the quake archive...he probably knows who to talk to.

or you could always try www.own-age.com or filefront or something like that. or badct.de...
Hey Ho Let's Go
It's an avi.
Hey Ho Let's Go
Here's a better link: http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~sda/demo.pl?other/HalfLife_5752.zip

Comments and info will be up this weekend (hopefully).
I'm addicted to games
I've watched it after I downsampled it to 320x240 and the time is actually 55:48 by my timing rules in other/  The timing stops when you lose control which is when the big old green-out occurs after killing the final boss, there's no need to include the G-man talk.  As soon as I get comments from the author (especially how he recorded it) I can get it actuall listed in other.
I'm addicted to games
The link given earlier won't work now since I renamed it to match the 55:48 time and I've placed a real page for it in the other games section. http://planetquake.com/sda/other/halflife.html
Edit history:
RandomEngy: 2004-05-02 01:57:56 am
A Crab
I'm working on trying to beat this right now.

From the techniques he used he did it very fast.  I've only gotten a few seconds slower than him on the parts where I don't use a big shortcut.

Possible improvements:
*Bunnyhopping and wallstrafing in more places
*Using grenade jumps (like in the meat locker at 10:40, that's basically the only place I've been able to gain time)
*Using the Tau for speed boosts rather than killing stuff (He does use it some but not as much as he could)
*Getting the LJ module and using it to move around in Xen
*When he climbs the wall at 33:14 he could use strafe and forward to get up it faster

Oh and just so you know that big jump at 15:42 is extremely, extremely hard.

No, even harder than that.  Basically you have to hit the ground at exactly the right places going exactly the right speed.  Too far to the right and you hit the rail.  Too far to the left and the headcrabs leap up and stop you.  I think I'll end up throwing a grenade over there and gibbing those stupid things.  Oh and too fast and you won't be able to jump off of the rail, too slow and you won't make it.  I've been practicing it for hours and still have a success rate of at most 25%

(edit) Okay finished that segment... finally went from start of blast pit to shortly after the insane jump.  It's a few seconds slower but it's a longer segment and the crazy jump is quite a ways in.
Can anyone tell me why with 200KB left, the download would stop working? On a 56k modem this is very frustrating.

(I use flashget btw)
A Crab
Probably because you're using flashget...
18 to the diablo2 holy grail
hey flashget rocks, its just you prolly got disconnected from fileplanet

you just need to login as if your getting the file again,( make FP happy) then when it comes to download just get it to continue the last 200K instead of starting fresh
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
HEHEHEHE Connor. 200 kb left on that bigass file. Wonder why I find myself sitting here with a rather large smile on my face =D
well, that didn't work so I downloaded it AGAIN and it got stuck at exactly the same place  Cry

*sigh* no half-life video for me.... who wants to send me a cd?

and yeah, flashget has always worked really well for me... only problem is the stupid ads ('cause it's the shareware version)
I'm addicted to games
You're a fool if you're on a 56k modem trying to get a 200+ mb file and not using something that can resume downloads.  www.speedbit.com
Flashget does resume files... i'd resumed that download lots of times in order to get the whole thing.... it just stopped working at the same point both times
I'm addicted to games
If you can resume downloads then what's the problem?  When it gets 'stuck' just pause and restart it.
lol that's what i'm saying - it had always worked fine and resumed downloads - even with the half-life file.... up until this exact spot of just this one file (with about 200k left) now when i try to resume it just keeps trying and looping this message:

Wed May 05 09:04:07 2004 Error occured! Socket Error=10054 Network is unreachable. Please read user manual for more information.

and also:

Wed May 05 09:08:37 2004 File size is different,can't download from this site.

ah... welll.... there are more important things than a half-life video Smiley

I'm addicted to games
Do you get a new download url from fileplanet every time you resume the file?  When you get to 'click here to download' the url has ^####### in it and that number is only valid for 48 hours or so.  When you resume you need to get a new one and change the url in your program.  Aside from that the only thing you can do is yell at gamespy, or try their new fileplanet specific download manager.
Edit history:
RandomEngy: 2004-05-06 12:20:57 am
A Crab
Whee, update... did next section, gained 5 seconds by various random time savers (such as throwing a grenade to break the planks in the vent instead of crowbarring them and using health pickups instead of HEV).  From top of silo (15:54) to (19:41) It's my longest segment yet (3:42 of continuous play).
18 to the diablo2 holy grail
Connor, i can hook u up with a Flashget crack to kill the ads Smiley prolly see yo in IRC some time, i'm on lots as "Tim|MF" so PM me
Don't think!  feeeeeal
I’m really excited to see someone did a speed run on hl!  There was inspiration for this idea when I saw q2q with my friends some 4 years ago, we came up with the name “half-life in half the time” but never really acted much on it.  From somewhere, I revived this idea about 8 months ago.  I had big plans spouting for this: figuring out hosting, web site, how to break up the game into segments. I wanted to do it like q2q was done, with many players specializing in segments trying to get the fastest times working for a common goal.

My first guess for the time based off playing hl 4 years ago was something under 3 hours.  I went through it on easy and decided 1:30 was a better aprox.  I spent many hours fumbling though the game to try and find shortcuts, optimal routes, good items to grab, ect.  My estimate kept getting lower and lower with each new shortcut and what not I was finding.  Eventually became satisfied with the strat I concocted, figuring about every detail I could.  My final estimate was around 43-47 minutes.

I wanted to do this with full bhop enabled, like hl comes retail with out any patches that take this away.  I figured this could enable the run be faster, more entertaining and allow for extra shortcuts.  I came across some problems with figuring out how the demos could be recorded for the segments with the levels loads.  I also wanted to find some way to disable the autosaves because they lag you and can easily mess up crucial bhops.  These set backs eventually stopped with from me completing the project I had envisioned, at least for the time being, I still was hoping to look into it more later when I had more time.

But now I find out that steam can record though the level loads (the only improvement with demo recording in steam I’ve ever heard of).  I also took a look at this hl mod called Sven Coop around 7 months ago.  Now I’m thinking that everything thing needed for this project could be in place.  Sven Coop seems to have disabled the autosaves, added full bhop and works with steam, along with a lot of other things, possibly unwanted ones.

Now I just found out about and watched -think.circle-‘s run today.  I thought it was a pretty decent go at it.  I saw a couple better techniques in -think.circle-‘s run that I had not figured out.  I definitely think q2q is a head and shoulders above it, though.  I’ve added up 35 improvements I know of using shortcuts and different techniques, the major things, totaling to right around 11 minutes.    Then I estimate 1.5-3 more minutes could be cut with excellent smoothness, bhoping, boosting, and smaller changes in techniques like 1 second adjustments here and there.  That puts the time right around 41.5-43 minutes!

If anyone knows a lot about Sven Coop and how it would work for this project I’d loved hear about it.  You can reach me in channel #3v on gamesurge with name _3v|Spider-Waffle or something like that.  I could start getting up my strats with, screenshots, some demos and what not.  There’s nine shortcuts or whatever you want to call them that save at least 30 seconds, three saving at least 80 seconds.
Hey Ho Let's Go
Why don't you come to our IRC channel instead? #qdq on QuakeNet

Your ideas sound cool, and it would be awesome to see HL done in 40something!
A Crab
Sounds interesting, Spider-Waffle.  I'll try to contact you later today, maybe we can exchange some shortcuts and stuff.  My run is on vanilla half-life but I'm sure a lot of the same strategies would apply and I would love to see one without bunnyhop restrictions.