--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Protongue: 2014-08-03 10:47:34 pm
Quote from CnEY:
I've noticed that the recent WR runs skip the first Javier dialogue in Sierra Morena.  What's the trick to that?

Khaled discovered the Jaguar dialog skip about a year ago. Here are two common ways to do it:

1. Stand on the right side of the last platform below the ground Jaguar is standing on. Dashing Derp Derp + Rooster Uppercut to reach Jaguar's platform.
2. (Double Jump required) Stand on the second-to-last platform below the ground Jaguar is standing on. Hold in right, do a Double jump, and Rooster Uppercut to reach Jaguar's platform.

Don't jump once you've landed on Jaguar's level, otherwise his dialog will activate!

Here is Khaled's original video for reference (using setup #1):
We have another SDG variant on our hands. At the very least, it allows us to skip Great Temple:

Here is the general premise:
1. In an initial region, activate a desired warp index (region connector, save altar, arena, or cutscene)
2. Enter the target region without activating any save positions (e.g., save altars and region connectors).
3. Trigger a game save in the target region without activating any save positions (make a shop purchase or complete an arena)
4. Exit the target region without activating any save positions
5. In the newly-arrived region, perform SDG -> Continue without triggering any game saves
6. The game loads in the target region at the initially set warp index

Here is how this applies to the Great Temple skip:
* In initial region Sierra Morena, activate the warp index that corresponds to the Jaguar post-fight
* Enter target region Great Temple without triggering a game save (pollo form ducks underneath the region connector save zone)
* Make a purchase from the shop to trigger a game save without activating any save positions
* On Pause + Quit, the game loads at our SDG warp region, Santa Luchita, at the index which corresponds to the last game loading warp index (Great Temple entrance -> Santa Luchita next to Forest)
* Pollo form ducks underneath the save zone on Santa Luchita's Forest region connector
* In Santa Luchita, activate SDG -> Continue
* The game loads in Great Temple at the warp index that corresponds to the Jaguar post-fight warp index, which happens to be the end of Great Temple

There are likely other applications for this SDG variant, but they will also require crafty save trigger dodging.
Shocked My head a splode.

Gonna have to try that, maybe tonight.  That's one heck of a find!
RIP Any%. I'm calling the cops, Protongue. =P
Kinda knew this was coming PT, especially from you. Great work but if you ruin 100% I may have to commit sudoku.

Anyways, I've done a run for 100% using this to skip 2nd lightning arena onwards which saves about a minute but going backwards through the temple is kinda weird so I was wondering if there was a way to go backwards that makes the time saves greater? if anybody can figure it out I'm sure it's you.
Edit history:
Protongue: 2014-08-04 06:55:17 pm
Protongue: 2014-08-04 06:42:41 pm
100% is safe Bagel, no worries Tongue

Nice idea on skipping those final Great Temple arenas. Here is one possible setup that should save a little time (untested):
1. After defeating Jaguar, trigger the Great Temple skip (as above)
2. Awaken the Great Temple Olmec and use it to travel to Santa Luchita (Pause + Quit after awaken might be faster)
3. Resume the post-Sierra Morena 100% route
4. When you are ready for Great Temple, enter it from Sierra Morena
5. Complete Great Temple collection, and Pause + Quit once you acquire the final chest before the lightning skeletons
6. Game loads at Santa Luchita next to Forest. Olmec travel to the end of Great Temple

EDIT: I just saw the run you uploaded you YouTube Bagel, and you've done basically the same thing (save for the order of the Great Temple skip setup). Nevermind, back to the drawing board!
Yeah, I pretty much did that exact thing except I awakened the temple olmec only once everything had been collected elsewhere and only the Grand Temple remained as after jaguar, my next location is the desert and pause + quit after awakening the Sierra olmec takes you straight to the desert entrance at Santa luchita. Don't think there is a faster way to do it by going backwards through the temple but I could be wrong.
For anyone who prefers a written version of the any% route, I just updated/finished the current route on the Guacommunity wiki: http://guacommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=Any%25+Route
Ruling the cosmos!
Thanks CnEY, that must've been a lot of work, I appreciate that
Been lurking for a while, but I finally started doing my own any% runs. So far got it down to 48:08. I think I'll start doing some 100% runs once I figure out how to do it. You guys have really figured out a lot about this game, any% is just start+quit for 45 minutes now Tongue
STCE comes out on Steam in two days!
Quote from FriedEel:
STCE comes out on Steam in two days!

Im back in then! Tongue
http://www.twitch.tv/samuel_v2
It's out (and hello everyone).

I can't buy it now because there's no linux version so I think I'll improve my Gold Edition runs (any% almost glitch-free, I admire the select door glitch and everything it allows to do, but I don't like skipping parts of the game, I prefer to beat them fast :))
Looks like Guacamelee any% has been blown right open since I stopped my 100% runs o.0 I'm assuming many of these glitches still work since Protongue got 39:xx pretty much the moment it came out. Just thought I'd say hi since I managed to snag the 100% #1 spot by being the first to actually complete it (with an appalling time of 5:32:31 XD). Good luck with runs, can't wait to see how low times can get though I don't have time or the inclination to get back into Guacamelee myself right now Sad
I did some STCE any% routing last night, with assistance from Nomkey and Turbodog in chat. We might see a sub-40 RTA run fairly soon.

In case anyone is using Guacasave to create save file backups, I've confirmed that it works for STCE. A single save.dat file represents all three save files in STCE. Unlocked costumes are stored in your save.dat file, so you might want to purchase all the costumes before creating backups.
Cool! Double jump comes with #3 on PC STCE, also a faster route idea that i used round there was after getting up to sierra with pollo, go back down the the nearest alter to the right, Quit game. Then on a beaten save (if you are doing that kind of run) go to the infierno door and SDG, then when you log back on your run save, S&Q, putting you at the alter in infierno, rather than running to the infierno door through santa.
Great find, Tachyon. With El Infierno #3 giving us Double Jump, we can cut Tule Tree in any% (easily saving 2-3 minutes), and 100% can acquire all abilities before Tule Tree collection.

If you're using pre-made saves, you might be able to cut Canal and the X'tabay fight, assuming Jaguar is beatable in STCE without Dimension Swap (Nomkey has beaten him without Dimension Swap on Gold Edition at least).

Just like STCE on Xbox One, activating SDG shifts the game into the land of the dead. You can undo the shift with at least three methods:
1. SDG -> Continue (select your current save file from the Start menu) [progress rolls back to last save action]
2. Don't hit any saves and Intentional death in the current region [progress rolls back to last save action]
3. Fall into warping ooze [current progress is preserved]

The third method enables the Forest Arena #2 and #3 skip for non-pre-made save runs.

I'll try to put up an any% route later this evening. Routing is considerably more complicated in STCE due to all of the new possibilities, so more optimizations are bound to surface soon.
Awesome ideas protounge! I would love to sum them all together with you on skype some time! Smiley
Just got 42:08 hard mode any% on Xbox one. So hyped right now, going for sub 40 tomorrow
Edit history:
Protongue: 2014-08-22 11:28:44 pm
Nice Zecora!

Here's a rough outline of the Any% route (no pre-made saves), which is probably ~34 minutes RTA (~30 minutes IGT) with a great run. Credit goes to Nomkey for the SDG dimension shift idea at Canal and Tachyon for the EI#3 Double Jump find:
http://pastebin.com/DgFUj1qq
Thanks Protongue.

I use (Pre-made save).  I've been making my route for about a week and i know 29 minutes is possible with it. I'm just try to figure out how to do the great temple skip on console. if i can figure it out sub 20 is possible
Great Temple skip might work something like this with pre-made saves (for the non-pre-made saves version, check the end of my any% notes):

1. Be a pollo and walk underneath the save altar after Jaguar.
2. Swap hop over the Goat dialog.
3. Enter Great Temple as a pollo.
4. Move forward a bit before the save altar, turn human. Double Jump -> Rooster Uppercut -> Dashing Derp Derp over the save altar.
5. Beat the first arena, let the pinata appear, then close the game.
6. Re-open your game and load your run file. The game should load at the top of Great Temple, assuming the skip works.
Thanks if that works i can get Rank 1 on normal any%. does it work if the save alter in the great temple activates cause they activate even if your way above them
The Great Temple save altar jump works on Xbox One too (I tested it out on my friend's console a couple weeks ago). You have to be right against the ceiling, hence the Double Jump -> Rooster Uppercut -> Dashing Derp Derp setup. Practice the setup before trying it out in a run for sure.
Edit history:
ZecoraMLP1: 2014-08-23 12:04:13 am
ok ill test it tommorow