List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from sett3:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk0lytofOjTC3cSmckUt7A6yx-X6n_se1
First 4 100% segments.
And yes, this time i'm going to finish it

Hooray! Smiley
I have some ideas/suggestions about the swimming in the current route.

The new snail trail strat leaves so little time to swim that it will eat into one mission or another, but what mission you spend extra time swimming shouldn't matter. 555 is too random, but during outrider you can safely spend as much time as you want afaik. Snail trail is fairly safe, but i think Tirean failed it once because the reporter was randomly ran over while he was looking for a cab.

But since you need more swim-time than what is available, what also costs you a lot of time is waiting for the breath-meter to refill. So could you potentially save time by diving one long dive during other missions where you are in/near the water? For example before you get in the boat at the start of photo opportunity?
Quote from sett3:
First 4 100% segments.

Good luck, looking forward to the finished run.
Quote from any:
I have some ideas/suggestions about the swimming in the current route.

The new snail trail strat leaves so little time to swim that it will eat into one mission or another, but what mission you spend extra time swimming shouldn't matter. 555 is too random, but during outrider you can safely spend as much time as you want afaik. Snail trail is fairly safe, but i think Tirean failed it once because the reporter was randomly ran over while he was looking for a cab.

But since you need more swim-time than what is available, what also costs you a lot of time is waiting for the breath-meter to refill. So could you potentially save time by diving one long dive during other missions where you are in/near the water? For example before you get in the boat at the start of photo opportunity?

You don't really lose any time for swimming over the old swimming route. You do the same in 555 every time. (Swim until tutorial is over), outrider you optimise it so you can 20-30 seconds extra swim time and as long as you reach rank 1 in lung capacity you can get to the 2nd rank before you fail snail trail.
Edit history:
Joshimuz: 2014-04-17 08:18:05 am
Joshimuz: 2014-04-17 08:16:58 am
LadyFrozen wanted me to share this here
http://www.twitch.tv/ladyfrozen/c/4082081

Fairly certain something similar has been shown before but if not then this shows that the driver of the limo isn't immune to headshots
I was trying to think of a way to make use of the rockets you could save doing this but short of just having some more for mountain cloud boys I couldn't think of one because you get so many from Outrider.
Thought I'd post anyway.

As for the swimming, there is a strat which can save time if you don't swim in 555 but I'm not sure if you could fully replace all the swimming necessary from that mission and still gain time.

People have messed with the idea of moving the swimming to other places for awhile now but I don't think anyone has found a surefire way of doing it yet, some ideas included in between waves in Doberman and as you say at the boat in Photo Op.
Could someone test this for me please, another 25 to 30 fps comparison.

A set distance in a straight line, have pedestrians at intervals in that distance which you must run over. I would say 5-6 pedestrians should be enough to show a time difference and to see a pattern in car reaction when hitting them. Then just time the difference it takes to get from the starting line to the finish.
stowaway/cropduster

3 parts
1st u can exit plane to the side,but if u exit to early, cj model wont go through and u will die. saves some frames + u face direction u wanna go

2nd some comparison on where to land, in both cases u land near spawn circle of cropduster

3rd apparently there is circle around cropduster, u cant spawn CD if u are inside it, but u can if ure slightly outside. for reference its 3rd tree if u land on ground, and sligtly away from  3rd lamppost if u land on road

Quote from wOoX:
stowaway/cropduster

3 parts
1st u can exit plane to the side,but if u exit to early, cj model wont go through and u will die. saves some frames + u face direction u wanna go

2nd some comparison on where to land, in both cases u land near spawn circle of cropduster

3rd apparently there is circle around cropduster, u cant spawn CD if u are inside it, but u can if ure slightly outside. for reference its 3rd tree if u land on ground, and sligtly away from  3rd lamppost if u land on road

That is all incredibly useful, like my last run where I had no idea how far away I needed to be in order to make it spawn, and then when it didn't I drove away really far to try and make it spawn again.
You only need 3 rockets to kill all of the guys in Mountain Cloud Boys.

The other rockets could be used for Mike Toreno to kill all of the guys. But that might be too risky.

Lure
You can save a little time by despawning the trailer that is blocking you near the first marker.

Amphibious Assault
There is armor near where you finish the mission. It should be faster to pick up that than eat pizza.
Edit history:
dareka00: 2014-04-21 12:02:45 am
I found something  in madd dogg's rhyme, after retrieving the rhyme book the guards in the bar room  seems to have a weak spot in their detection AI, if you move between the two guards without touching them the guards don't react at all  it's pretty hard because of how close they are but  their blind behavior seems consistent, passing at the right of the standing guard doesn't work at all they start firing immediately
This glitch don't make us gain time but it save a lot of health if executed properly i can leave the manor with 80%health/amor

There is a brick texture on the floor to get a visual landmark

I only tested the ak, shotgun and spray can but it probably work with all weapons
I also noticed that having high fps (90)seems to reduce the AI reaction time by a lot

Video example(25fps) :

High health path :

A few minor things about the Highjack pausebuffer thing, in case someone misunderstood it:
Jacking the truck with pausebuffer is slower than perfect normal strats, but with the pausebuffer you jack it in half the distance so you don't have to turn it around on the freeway and drive it back, which saves time overall.
But if you have an accident on the way to the truck you probably won't be able to jack it in time even with pausebuffer, so normal strats might be faster at that point.
I also looked into why the bike slows down to cruise speed when you buffer, and it looks like it's just a built in game-mechanic. When you pause the game it also applies the brakes when you are above a certain speed. I don't know if this affects boats and planes as well, or if it could be useful anywhere else.
against all odds

top left- original
bottom right - one of the first drafts
top right/bottom left - new, pls dont run over cops at the start

goofy stuff
flying up and down (bot) VS trying to keep same hight level (top)

oglok
top left - original/ most ppl use
bottom right - new/ never seen this one used
top right/bottom left - other stuff that been considered

gery imports -> grove street
Edit history:
Uilnslcoap: 2014-04-27 05:15:00 pm
F*ckin' sanity effects...
Quote from sett3:
First 4 100% segments.

I'm happy about this, too.  Smiley
just buisnesses NRG shenanigans

nrg spawns shortly after entring tunnel (crossed circle that triggers spawn, u cant re-spawn it while inside that circle)
danger zone (looking down WILL Despawn nrg)
safe zone (impossible to despawn nrg inside it)
actual danger zone is slightly smaller and therefore safe zone larger, presented ones give good reference points

if u sure that u despawned nrg, after cutscene run to the wall like in the end

guess ill be looking into snailtraills nrg tomorrow
well snailtrail nrg looks pretty RNG-ish, fastest consistent method i found costs 15 seconds, while grabbing nrg from docks is 15-17-ish, will need more time on that one =S
Why take the NRG on the airport to begin with. Can't you just either

1) Dump whatever vehicle you got during Snail Trail in the garage, take the NRG for Ice Cold Killa - Pier 69 and put it back in the garage before Toreno's Last Flight so you can use it for Interdiction
2) Use whatever vehicle you got during Snail Trail for the missions Ice Cold Killa - Toreno's Last Flight
Quote from S.:
Why take the NRG on the airport to begin with. Can't you just either

1) Dump whatever vehicle you got during Snail Trail in the garage, take the NRG for Ice Cold Killa - Pier 69 and put it back in the garage before Toreno's Last Flight so you can use it for Interdiction
2) Use whatever vehicle you got during Snail Trail for the missions Ice Cold Killa - Toreno's Last Flight

I might be wrong but if you no longer need the NRG from Snail Trail, would it be better to get back to SF with a train ? I think Joshimuz wanted to use that initially, but didn't do it because you wouldn't get the Heli for AA (obsolete) and it relies a lot on train spawning RNG.
Maybe it's slower with average RNG, but optimal with perfect RNG.  I don't know if runners should use it in RTA yet, but once people get times close to the 5:15 'perfect' run, they'll need to take risk to improve their times.

Anyway someone should time it.
Why take the NRG?

1. The NRG is on the route to get back to SF the fastest.
2. Will be faster than everything you get from snail trail.
3. Don't need to waste time swapping vehicles with garage.
4. You can use NRG on both Monster and interdiction, saving time.
Edit history:
ceilingfridge: 2014-05-10 02:13:07 pm
Not sure if this got posted here already in the past, but Mhmd_FVC found that you are able to slide with the crates during Home Invasion.

It is pretty consistent with the shotgun, sliding with the spraycan does not seem possible because this will cause CJ to drop the crate.

Video: http://www.twitch.tv/ceilingfridge/c/4228831
I thought I should mention a few things here before they cause controversy and drama.

The first can of worms is cheats. Some players have accidentally enabled cheats during their runs and blamed the unreliability of the game for it. While the game is indeed rather fickle, it is not the case here as the problem is entirely caused by not understanding the core mechanics of the game. Some luck is also involved, but I would rather avoid the word luck since it has so many interpretations. It is not uncommon to see people mix chaotic and entropic events, but I digress.

The cheat code system is based on weak cryptographic hashes. There are two obvious reasons for that. It prevents players from simply extracting the cheat codes from the game by, say, dumping the data sections of the executable. It also serves as a performance optimization, because inputs are checked each frame and comparing strings of varying lengths is not a fast constant time operation. Keep in mind that the developers sacrificed accurate physics for performance.

The downsides are less obvious, but even more important. The hashes are stored as unsigned 32 bit integers and as such cannot contain all the information in a cheat code. Therefore a single cheat can have many codes. How many depends on the domain size and the quality of the hash function. Since the hash function is optimized for speed, collisions are very likely. Take TESTEDUCATIONALSKILLS, AEZAKMI and IFIRSTDOZ for example; they all have the same effect.

Originally the effects of the cheats were discovered first. It was probably done by checking all call and possibly suitably computed jmp instructions in the input reading loop. Either way it was a simple, albeit tedious, process. The cheat codes themselves were found later. It was done like any other traditional hash cryptography attack: by guessing values from the domain of the hash function, feeding them to the function and hoping the end result is desirable. Cheat codes for most cheats have already been found, but some of them still lack the original form. For example HESOYAM is not a cheat code the developers intended players to use.

If someone wants a fun and easy reverse engineering project, I suggest extracting the hash function from the executable and finding all the original cheat codes with a dictionary attack. The game has lots of plain data files, so the dictionary could be quickly extended and biased for the task.

In conclusion, players actually enabled undiscovered cheat codes. The only way to avoid accidentally doing so is changing the key configuration or avoiding certain movement patterns. The cheat codes to avoid could be extracted from key event logs, if the players had kept them.

My second topic is hardware. It is easy to obtain a perfectly normal sound card and configure it to serve as a null sink. Such a device consumes all audio samples at an indefinitely high speed and effectively skips all events that are synchronized to playing dialog or other sound files.

It is similarly effortless to set up a graphics device with a configurable frame rate or a file system with different scheduling. Some players already use third party frame limiters and memory mapped files to do that.

Why stop there? More speed can be gained by using suitable hardware. An argument about fairness could be raised, but that applies to every trick in the book and is really not my concern. The computer has the final say on the rules in any case.

My last note is one of project management. The game, like most games, is too vast for a single person to handle. Every player using outdated routes in certain places is a manifestation of that. A community effort is needed if a rigorous result is desired. I suggest setting up a repository for what software projects call a reference implementation. It would be a collection of every route through every mission and every mission transition. Faster or safer routes whould obsolete slower or more dangerous ones, but nothing would be deleted or forgotten. Both Wikipedia and TASVideos use such a version control policy and it works well.
according to that post, there is one cheat in a game, that changes weather to sunny. It's combination is somwhere near WASD buttons, so i sometimes manage to activate it several times during recording, which ruins all segment. Annoying, as hell Cheesy
the WASD weather cheat has been reported many times. I also heard rumors of people accidentally spawning Quadbikes using WASD, however have not seen video footage of this. I am patiently awaiting the moment I actually do the cheat myself, since I have an input display on my stream. The reason we have been fine with this cheat to date has been exactly for the reason "we dont know how it works, and we dont know how to find out how it works".

Whatever hardware you use, just play at 25, 26 or 30 fps and keep it there. Fairness thing is exactly an issue, so I'd say focus on your skill rather than the framerate at which you run things. A load timer tool like other games would be excellent, but it has to be made first. IDK about the sound card thing, but for this as a whole can't we just set up some guidelines on "normal running conditions" without funky stuff?

As for the information dump database, I am extremely in favor of this stuff as I have been looking for some old information plenty of times. People were discussing a new strat for 555 we tip, but it got dismissed because of the swimming time and new snail trail strats. However, this strat might still be useful to 100% (I'm not sure yet because of the muscle/fat shit), but currently the only person I know of who knows about this (Paddy) has vanished. Maybe set up a wikia?
Funny how this cheat usually occurs while I have been holding W for a period greater than 5-10 seconds. I would like to see someone reverse engineer that Cheesy