--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote:
Bleed Out
...When you get to the section where he gets out his car block the stairs with your car and shotgun him as he runs for the stairs...

I would like to add to this that I have managed to run over Dardan while he is getting out of his car somewhere in the ballpark of 2/20 of tries.
I think that the important part is the last corner (where the truck is blocking the way so he takes the alleyway to the left), where you need to put the pedal to the metal.
destroy them with lazers
I take a different route to how he goes I still get there just as fast with out so many corners.
Quote:
Yes. If you were doing an SS run and were using the autosave to warp to your safehouse then the load times in between would have to count and it would be known as SS with save warps.

But I think it will be segmented so your going to need autosave on.

I don't think autosave should be allowed on unless you have a separate category with save warps.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Basically every taxi warps you anyway. So it's no big difference. I'd use it.
more keys then pablo escobar
any times yet?
Quote:
Basically every taxi warps you anyway. So it's no big difference. I'd use it.

Well the Taxis spawning is still pretty much luck based. I'm still thinking about the other GTA speedruns that required you to plan your missions around your save location.

Like I said before it should be a separate category.
King Laskdjf
Quote from X:
SEGMENT 2

It’s Your Call
Threes a Crowd
Bleed Out
First Date
Easy Fare
Jamaican Heat
Concrete Jungle        Time at this point: Sub 00:32:00

Add the Vlad mission on to the end of that. That mission puts you back at the safehouse to save anyway and it'll be faster do save there as it's a quick mission. You can take a taxi there, run to the window, but not close enough to activate any cutscenes and just shoot it and take a taxi/car back.

I won't be around until the 15th. Internet's been cut off at my house because we're like, a gig over our bandwidth. I'm at a friend's hosue right now.

Plus the time at that point should be sub 30 minutes.
destroy them with lazers
Really Sub 00:32:00 including the first Vlad Mission?
Wow, I just figured out that you can enter any taxi, even if it didn't 'accept' you, even if it already has people, by holding Y. So you can see a taxi, call for it, get rejected, and just run over and get in anyways. If nobody's in, Niko will just 'psych' the driver out and get in back. If people are in the back, Niko will either throw them out and get in or they will get out in discust. Either way, you can get in any taxi no matter what. So just make a taxi stop, and HOLD Y. So basically, since there's a taxi on every corner almost, you can be guaranteed an instant ride no matter what.
Quote from Insetik 47:
Wow, I just figured out that you can enter any taxi, even if it didn't 'accept' you, even if it already has people, by holding Y. So you can see a taxi, call for it, get rejected, and just run over and get in anyways. If nobody's in, Niko will just 'psych' the driver out and get in back. If people are in the back, Niko will either throw them out and get in or they will get out in discust. Either way, you can get in any taxi no matter what. So just make a taxi stop, and HOLD Y. So basically, since there's a taxi on every corner almost, you can be guaranteed an instant ride no matter what.

I would also like to add, throwing out passengers doesn't give you any stars.

Its also nice, if you need to do a mission where you follow someone in a car, like say Manny's first mission, have a taxi take you to the car, then steal the taxi, and then continue with the mission where you follow the drug dealer.
destroy them with lazers
Any mission that doesnt involve you driving a predetermind car will let you get in a taxi with the NPC's.
There is a small speedrunning shortcut with the taxis, if you already get the location you need to drive to before getting into a taxi you don't have to wait for your partner to get in before you trigger your warp.
Frisbee Grenadier
After playing to Paper Trail, I wonder if the helicopter they give you is faster than the one that the target is riding in. I've chased it at full throttle and never once have I overtaken it.

I guess the trick to doing it fast would be to skip following it altogether and wait until it flies under the bridge.
destroy them with lazers
Quote from Snuvs:
There is a small speedrunning shortcut with the taxis, if you already get the location you need to drive to before getting into a taxi you don't have to wait for your partner to get in before you trigger your warp.

Thats a hell of a good tip. Nice find.
i hate helicopter, boat, motorcycle missions. is no love lost(i think) a must? i cant pass it.
Quote from KnifeRun:
i hate helicopter, boat, motorcycle missions. is no love lost(i think) a must? i cant pass it.

You can shoot the boyfriend off the bike before he meets up with his gang, or you can just drive nicely and wait for them all to stop at the park. This mission is necessary.  I have shot him off the bike before, but i think it was mostly luck based I didn't crash while shooting him.  There might be a way to kill the boyfriend before he even gets on the bike if you can get clse without triggering the cutscene, maybe with a sniper rifle.
you get a sniper rifle that early?

i think my problem was i was attempting 2 shoot off the bike. and smash into things. by the time ifind the bike and start riding he'd be gone. so chilled cruising and shot him and his crew.

thanx

now im trying to find the garage in the dark. the glare on my tv isnt helping. .

when you get 2 the garage area are cops always smashing you?
destroy them with lazers
One of the most annoying missions in the game IMO.
Just take the Turismo in Faustin's driveway and use that to chase him. Is it actually possible to shoot him down before he meets up with his friends? I figured he was just invulnerable up to that point like most of the chase missions in the game.
its said its possible to shoot him off the bike. 

and i could swear any car i bring disapears when the mission starts. 

either i'll worry about the speed after i beat the game.

i kind of wish i didnt cop cod4. it takes up the gaming time pretty much. gta4 being annoying doesnt help me not play cod4. my ps3 game is almost 2 weeks old.
Just an idea...

>and i could swear any car i bring disapears when the mission starts. 

The GTA3-series had an opcode in its internal programming language to "sweep" an area. The game always used it to clear any vehicle that would otherwise have had funny results.

CannibalK9 said in his GTASA commentary he had to park a car a bit away from that CRASH-mission next to the Donut shop, otherwise it would disappear.

In GTA4 I experienced that the game did not always clear your cars, but also sometimes reparked the car you brought near the cutscene. I think this always happens with the first Packie mission, but I saw it earlier. So if you miss and want to keep a car, look around on the street.

Too bad that contents of GTA4 cannot be decompiled yet (it's not even out on PC so the modding community seems not to have started), that might help with research for a speedrun (could also have helped for the other three games) and should be ok according to SDA rules.
Expert Donkey Fister
numerous ppl have made tools to extract gta4 data, they just dont release them before the game is out on pc but im sure you could get a hold of lets say the handling data

heres a link http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=341654

normally the infernus has the best top speed and the banshee the best acelleration, is that the case in gta4? i cant tell, ive only played a bit..
Edit history:
Insetik 47: 2008-06-17 04:42:58 pm
Big info post:

I think a sniper spawns somewhere on the west coast of Broker... someone with the strategy guide check the first mission's area and see where it is. The sniper would be good for those tough-to-coax enemies in cover that own you if you get close enogh to shoot them around the cover and take forever to get a shot off otherwise. I kept the weapons from "Intro to Deconstruction" through the whole game, but having those before would have helped.

Also, in Pegorino's Pride, I think there's a mattress you can land on if you jump out the window and not get hurt, so it really speeds up getting to the enemies. Obviously, speeddemosarchive WOULD launch itself out the window in the first place, just saying.

On "...Final Interview", knife the lawyer and hop out the window behind him. No wanted stars, no going back through building, no worries.

With the one guy who said to hit stuff on the way down when falling to lessen damage, try to hit something so you roll off it to the ground- try this: go to the top of Playboy X's apartment, and go around to the front. Climb on top of the awning. Now, there is a fire escape staircase from the top floor to the bottom, but not at the roof. Try to fall off, but his the side railing of the fire escape on the way down. Niko will roll off, and keep rolling while faling. He'll stop, and then you'll land on the ground, loosing no health. If you miss, and Niko goes straight off the room, it's death. This trick will let you fall about 6 stories more without dieing- great when getting off rooftops. Few fire escapes go to the roof, so most roofs will have a fall to the top level of the fire escape high enough to roll off. Not saying you can fall from anywhere, but it's a nice buffer zone.

Quick thing: If you're still on the missions with the first safehouse, if you're back from a mission will less-than-perfect health, and don't want to save but don't want to do the next mission with little health, there's a hotdog vendor almost directly across the street from the safehouse. This is really good if you want to do a VLad mission and you need health. Wastes like 5 seconds, whereas entering your safehouse, going up the stairs, saving, coming back down, etc... Besides, the Vlad missions aren't really tough enough for you to have to save for.

This hasn't been proven to work, but I think it does. When you have to choose to kill either Derrick or Francis, kill Derrick. Francis will remove any wanted stars you have when you call during the remaining story. This would be a HUGE help on "To Live And Die In Alderney". Even if the police are scripted to alway chase after Phil, once you all get to the piec'o'shit van, you should then call Francis to get your stars removed. Reasons why: One: That van is sloooow, the police will probably chase you and refind you a few times. Two: I didn't try, but I think the van has a unique paint job, so the Pay'N'Spray might not work. 3rd, getting Francis to pardon you is still faster than escaping the cops. I don't remember any other missions after 'Blood Brothers' where you get a bunch of cops on you. Some say Francis doesn't ever answer his phone, well if this doesn't work, phooey. Keep Francis alive on the offchance you need him. Derrick gives no special abilities to help speed things up.

Last one, a quickie. In "I'll Take Her", Gracie always steered me hard to the left when she took the wheel. Could any runner try to powerslide left when she does that, to do a 360 so you don't have to back out if she drove you head-on into a wall. E brake might not work, but still.

I'm sorry, I just keep remembering stuff. It's faster to just kill everyone you could spare, except Dwayne's girlfriend (DUH) and Darko. For Darkojust run back to the car. If you do kill him, you have to spend a bit skipping a cutscene... then wind as far from the car as you were before! So just turn around and run away, you'll skip having to skip something. (Lawlz)
Have you guys tried jumping over the railing in your apartment to hit the bottom of the stairs? Faster than running to the top of the steps and jumping down from there.
King Laskdjf
Quote from Snuvs:
Have you guys tried jumping over the railing in your apartment to hit the bottom of the stairs? Faster than running to the top of the steps and jumping down from there.

That's what I've been doing on my runs.
ALOT of info there Insetik. Thanks.

I know I have a DVD Recorder. If I find some media that it can use to record, I'll do this run.

I'll go through and plan the next few segments soon, I've just got a bit of school work on my hands.