Sad
<- 1234567
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I love SDA!
Is anyone currently running this 360 or PC?
Expert Donkey Fister
you Smiley

i think itll take a bit of time until pc users can even run the game smoothly
I am really looking forward to this run!
Good luck to whomever is doing this speedrun!
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
The thing that will make the run is figuring out how to get the phone calls. You can blitz through all the missions until the end of Pegorino's but then Bernie's mission phone call does not come (i've waiting 20+ mins doing nothing waiting for the phone call).

Most likely, the phone calls need to be answered successively. Taking the cab everywhere mission marker to mission marker means you don't answer any phone call until you are stuck at a missionless dead end.
Quote from Incoherence:
The thing that will make the run is figuring out how to get the phone calls. You can blitz through all the missions until the end of Pegorino's but then Bernie's mission phone call does not come (i've waiting 20+ mins doing nothing waiting for the phone call).

Most likely, the phone calls need to be answered successively. Taking the cab everywhere mission marker to mission marker means you don't answer any phone call until you are stuck at a missionless dead end.

try to save several times in a row (advance ingame time for 6 hours)

PS: i'm not a speedrunner, for me it took ~20hrs for completing main story (it was enough for me to receive 'under 30hrs' achievement.
Quick question, what time is good for beating this, not single segment.
My time on mine is 13.5 hours, and I know I can get it down to 11 or 10, but I am sure it needs to be lower.
I would like to just have a goal Cheesy
DS Dictator
http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,9621.0.html

This thread is the PC version (and will be very likely to be done in a faster time thanks to the Mouse which is very useful for gun aiming).

hitman did a time of 7 hours and 43 minutes.
If the run is seriously optimised like San Andreas then you got to wait as quality takes time.
I will pay $100 US to the person who completes it in less than 8 hours and 30 minutes.
I will pay you directly through your PayPal account after I see the full speedrun.

Of course, you decide on which system you want to speedrun-it.

I hope this will bring a GTA4 speedrun soon...

-altair2
Seems I best get started.
when is the full speedrun going to be out.
I got 13:28 on my first go at the "Liberty City Minute" on my PS3. Run wasn't optimized in any way, just grabbing a taxi everywhere, doing missions only, fast-forwarding phone calls, skipping cinematics and generally not wasting any time.

This time could easily be cut to sub-10 minutes with a little planning, such as knowing where you need to be when you recieve a call, always choosing the shortest mission when you have a choice, and in chase-style missions, taking out the bad guy(s) on the way to where they eventually end up if you just follow them.

Anyone working on a killer run?
Quote from hitman201:
working with guy is faster since you dont have to go around on the boat opening switches to face him on the boat. I mostly work with planing and some not. Since you have to receve phone calls but they appear random when you will get many contacts later in the game.

It's not a big difference, since the very last mission is way shorter when you chase Peg on the bike than when you follow Dimitri in the helicopter. So i guess it's pretty much the same whether you choose 'revenge' or 'deal'.

On another note, does it matter who you kill when you have to choose between Playboy and Dwayne? At least when you kill Playboy you get an extra safehouse, which could come in handy...

PS: sorry for the double post
Quote from Yngin.no:
Quote from hitman201:
working with guy is faster since you dont have to go around on the boat opening switches to face him on the boat. I mostly work with planing and some not. Since you have to receve phone calls but they appear random when you will get many contacts later in the game.

It's not a big difference, since the very last mission is way shorter when you chase Peg on the bike than when you follow Dimitri in the helicopter. So i guess it's pretty much the same whether you choose 'revenge' or 'deal'.

On another note, does it matter who you kill when you have to choose between Playboy and Dwayne? At least when you kill Playboy you get an extra safehouse, which could come in handy...

PS: sorry for the double post

hitman201 completed it in 7h45m, http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,8183.msg235855.html#msg235855
and afaik he also said it wasn't very optimized, my guess would be that 6:45~7:00 is possible.
7h45m is outstanding bad time, that game can be passed less than 5 hours, nearly 4:40.
Maybe someone could upload a video then? Maybe even a bad run attempt would motivate more people to optimize and start a good speedrun?
I'm curious as to why the attempts so far have been so long. It doesn't seem to me that the game has that many more missions than GTA3 or Vice City, and you have the added advantage of taxis to teleport you everywhere. If I hadn't already seen people post times here, I'd expect a run to be under 2 hours. Where does all the extra time come from?
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
I'm curious as to why the attempts so far have been so long. It doesn't seem to me that the game has that many more missions than GTA3 or Vice City, and you have the added advantage of taxis to teleport you everywhere. If I hadn't already seen people post times here, I'd expect a run to be under 2 hours. Where does all the extra time come from?

2 hours sounds ridiculous.
Two last missions are quite time consuming.
---
However, i also dont understand why there still no gta4-speed-run.
It should be run similar to diablo2-speed-run (use autosave feature after mission is ok, and go with taxi to next one)
// in diablo2 You could use save-and-quit at any point, this action teleports runner into town.
we have lift off
Quote from hood:
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:

2 hours sounds ridiculous.
Two last missions are quite time consuming.
---
However, i also dont understand why there still no gta4-speed-run.
It should be run similar to diablo2-speed-run (use autosave feature after mission is ok, and go with taxi to next one)
// in diablo2 You could use save-and-quit at any point, this action teleports runner into town.

I think GTA4 lost A LOT of its fan base, at least for the PC version. I have played the PS3 version a bit but it's just not as fun as the previous installments. There aren't as many runs for the console versions for the other GTA games so I think people were just expecting a PC run; however, as you would need a super computer to run and record it, it kinda hasn't happened. I personally have not got it for PC and won't, aside from the fact my computer is old and can't handle it, it doesn't look like anything on the previous games.

Also given how time consuming they can become (I tend to go for 100%), I don't think this is worth my time. Despite all that negativity I would watch a run if it was done probably so I hope it does get done someday : ]
Quote from ridd3r.:

I think GTA4 lost A LOT of its fan base, at least for the PC version. I have played the PS3 version a bit but it's just not as fun as the previous installments. There aren't as many runs for the console versions for the other GTA games so I think people were just expecting a PC run; however, as you would need a super computer to run and record it, it kinda hasn't happened. I personally have not got it for PC and won't, aside from the fact my computer is old and can't handle it, it doesn't look like anything on the previous games.

Also given how time consuming they can become (I tend to go for 100%), I don't think this is worth my time. Despite all that negativity I would watch a run if it was done probably so I hope it does get done someday : ]

i have both PS3 and PC version (damn it episodes are exclusive to xbox360)
On PC it's so much easier to play (aiming and shooting, especially when in car) on PS3 i just mostly cant hit the target while driving. when on PC i was using pistol while driving.
http://www.gtamissions.com/ -- have non-perfect run + not finished one for machinima.
personally i'm no runner, but like watching other people's runs
Truljin @ Twitch
I recently started running this game and am so far down to 6 hours 7 minutes but can be improved, there's got to be an optimal way to handle the phone-calls towards the end no?
i'm not sure about the ending, but i was curious if you were doing a segmented run or ss.  the current run on this site is a segmented run t 4:23, but in mine and others opinions is poorly routed (even the runner admits this in his comments) and massive amounts of time can be saved.  if you haven't already, i'd check out this thread to look at some potential improvements to early parts of the run but unfortunately cabbage has become less active as a runner and abandoned his run: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/gta_4_rerun.html
Truljin @ Twitch
I've been doing RTA runs and my best time now is 5:50:55 but still feels way off.