--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Gran Turismo 6 (Any %) (Segmented)

Decision: Reject

Reason: Unfortunately, the quality of this run isn't quite up to segmentation standards. Also, the run should probably be segmented more.

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/queue/verificationfiles/1031/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Run Information

Gran Turismo 6 (Any %) (Segmented)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/gt6/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by June 6, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Wake up and be awesome
6+ hours of speed running for racing game...
My kind of party happy

Anyway I was watching the first segment and I think a good chunk of the first part could be cut out. I mean I know it's important to show your controls, cars, etc., but is that really needed?
Edit history:
MAS8705: 2014-05-26 01:23:19 am
MAS8705: 2014-05-26 01:19:59 am
MAS8705: 2014-05-26 12:59:27 am
MAS8705: 2014-05-26 12:53:28 am
MAS8705: 2014-05-25 07:30:33 pm
MAS8705: 2014-05-25 07:27:29 pm
MAS8705: 2014-05-25 11:56:06 am
MAS8705: 2014-05-25 11:44:45 am
MAS8705: 2014-05-25 10:41:55 am
MAS8705: 2014-05-25 10:38:57 am
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
A speed run on a racing game?!  Sometimes I forget that racing games can get on SDA too, although you rarely get to see them submitted for many reasons: It could be because ILs for a game are way too many, or doing a story mode takes too long.  Who knows but it is nice to get that variety of genre that is pretty much considered a minority on SDA (self-opinion of course).

With that said: Gran Turismo!  The one main thing I would need to question off the bat is where the timing would start here, although I read the comments from the runner, and I would have to agree that it would be when the first race begins since the time before that is to put in a name, set up controls and is basically a rundown of everything you can do in Gran Turismo 6.  As for the races themselves.

Some were pretty clean with the runner making clean passes and drifting like a boss, while other times, the runner's best idea of passing other racers is literally ramming them from behind and causing them to lose control.  Either or is fine, but I noticed on a few races, the runner got too over zealous, the car went off track.  There were times that the runner goes off road to pass other racers, and that's fine alongside with if the wheels go off, but the grounds outside the track are also gravel, but if the runner goes flying into the sand track or on the lawn (and the runner is in the lead no less), that's just sloppy racing in my opinion, although in races, the runner makes a quick recovery. The first big mistake I actually noticed was in Segment 7 where in the 3rd championship race (13:30) the runner got so overly excited, he went in a straight line only to go crashing into the wall, costing a couple of seconds to back up and get back on the road.  You'd think that would have been the only time he would make that mistake, but in the 2nd lap, he almost does the same thing, but at least loses control by spinning out in the lawn instead of into a wall, so the recovery was better here.  To make things even more ironic, during the NEXT RACE! the runner does the same thing on the final lap where he goes right into another barrier and gets stuck for a short period of time.  You'd think that would be it, it can't get much worse than that... BUT NO!  The Runner somehow does the PIT maneuver on himself and causes himself to spin out into the sand and face the wrong direction within the first 15 seconds of the final race in this segment! This segment alone is making me question the submittion in general at this moment.  I understand that the segment is over thirty minutes long, but there were three mistakes here that could have been preventable if it wasn't for reckless driving!

For license tests, they went pretty smooth but there were times that the runner was disqualified for going off track or slamming against a wall or the runner was close to getting gold, but got silver instead, thus had to restart the test.  Most of these mistakes or retakes only cost the runner 10-30 seconds, but nothing too drastic in a run this long.  This happened about five times during the license tests.

4/14

Overall, the majority of the races and tests were clean and the times were grouped together well.  However that one segment is making me a bit iffy right now.

this is going to take a while to watch it all.  The runner clocked his time at over six hours, so a marathon is probably going to need to be done in order to watch all the races and to ensure that the majority of them were clean.  Not going to post my verification quite yet, but might as well have the notes down

As for the controls and such, might as well leave that in so that anyone watching can know how you set it up so that no one can question how you're able to either recover or be able to pass other drivers with ease.

Edit: So far, I made it to Segment 7 and the run was good up to this point.  However, I should quickly point out that during the championship race, the runner crashes on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th races, costing him time.  It is hard to ignore and costs the runner several seconds.  Still, in a run over 6 hours long, an extra minute isn't much lost. Still, I'm watching the whole thing still and have yet to come to a verdict.

Edit: Trust me Hobowithashotgun, I've done much crazier verification sit downs.  To go ahead and watch Skies of Arcadia Legends from start to finish.  That was fun.  Still, I got work in the morning so I'll probably have a verification ready to go by this time tomorrow.
Wake up and be awesome
Damn MAS, that's dedication. Anyway, I'm only up to segment 3, and it still looks good.
A/V: There is some annoying jitter on all quality settings, something wrong with the encoding? It looks fine part from that.

I honestly don't have time to watch all of this but the gameplay is.. above average to good. Considering this is segmented though one might expect a little less errors.
Why only have 14 segments btw?
Edit history:
MAS8705: 2014-05-26 09:10:30 am
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
The runner does he run in the following pattern:  First he does all the races he needs to unlock the license tests.  Once it is unlocked, the runner ends the segment and makes the next one of all the license tests until he gets the license for the next class.  It is at this time the runner would either make the proper tweaks to the car to make it run more efficient or purchase a new car appropriate for the new class of races he will partake in before ending the segment and going again from the top.  So, because there are six different licenses, that accounts for at least (I think) 12 of the segments.  Need to make sure though if that is the actual pattern, or if the runner does something else.

that's the pattern I've noticed, although like I said before that if that's the case, you'd think that if he was making so many errors in one segment, he'd go back and start over instead of pressing forward.  Still need to watch the 2nd half of the run, and if the 2nd half has very little errors, this there should be little problems to accept it.  If the errors continue to pile up though, it will be harder to accept.  Still, how many more errors would be considered "inexcusable" in a run that is over six hours?  In spite of my constant pointing out of errors, it all probably has amounted to maybe a minute or two, which probably means little in a run that's long.  Still, let's see what happens since I might be the first person to post a verification (unless if someone marathons the videos while I'm at work of course.  ^_^')
The segments are pretty much self-contained so I started watching from segment 8.

Segment 8: Only trials in this segment. Most of them looked ok to me. The runner got around silver times in average. Are the gold times out of reach with the cars at their disposal or does it require smoother driving? Anyways, I'd say it looked ok until the final trial. 13 seconds into that run, the runner misjudged a turn and drove out of bounds (=disqualified and had to restart the race). That wasted 20 real-time seconds / 13 in-game seconds. In a 10-minute segment, that's not acceptable in my opinion.

Segment 9: This segment contained racing and not trials. In my eyes, there are two acceptable races (fighting muscle race 1 and 3). The other races all contained several mistakes I would consider major (misjudging turns, driving into the decor or getting knocked around by the other cars). There are also a bunch of minor mistakes such as driving into the rear of the cars in front. Without going into IL territory, I'd say it should be possible to pass even long segments like this (55 min) with at most 1 or 2 major mistakes in total (as defined above). Having 3 to 5 of them in most races seems excessive in my opinion.

Feel free to call me lazy and overrule my opinion because of not having watched all segments, but the two I randomly watched spoke the same language to me.

Reject (but hope the runner gets back at it, because several of the races are acceptable, so the potential is there for getting a full run of acceptable  quality)
ChickenB0h BOH! :D
well I watched like 1st two or three segments and the quality of gameplay is rather average. it would be "ok" for single-segment but for segmented run I would expect something more Sad as the guy above me said, maybe I'm lazy but after 1 hour of this run I was just "meh, nothing special", the driving is just too far from smooth as for segmented run, and I'm not even going into stuff like "did he really bought right upgrades for the car?", cus having to restart few B license tests is enough for me to say it's not it, most of those should be one shot especially it's supposed to be speedrun and the license goals are not as silly as those in GT2...

overall reject(based on 1/6th of the run I know I suck Grin but if the rest is better let me know I'll watch then). but hopefully he'll keep playing and improve this run to submitable one Smiley
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Nice to know that others beat me to the verification.  Regardless though, I actually finished watching all the segments and I will have to admit that sadly, we do have a problem here.  It is bad enough that there are times when the runner either crashes or has to restart, but for it to happen as much as it does, it does make me feel as though that this game's final run time can be cut down more, especially if this is a segmented run.

The best advice I could give is either to study the tracks a bit more to avoid crashing as frequently and to practice the trails so that you can pass them on the first attempt each time.  The route plan was done well as were some of the races, however the mistakes have sadly added up from being seconds lost from mistakes to minutes, and if that's the case, we know that this run can be much better.

As for what everyone said before me, this is a reject, but the runner shouldn't be discouraged since this was still a great showing.  It only needs a bit more polish and it will truly shine.
Not a walrus
Not being very familiar with this game, is there a reason you wouldn't segment after every track? Is IGT (adding up all the track times) not suitable for this run?
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Not being very familiar with this game, is there a reason you wouldn't segment after every track? Is IGT (adding up all the track times) not suitable for this run?

I haven't played GT6, but in the other GT games you can't redo races in a tournament - you have to finish a series of races in a row without the possibility to segment. But I don't see any reason not to segment between every one of these. Regarding track times - you're doing quite a bit of menuing and car customisation usually which takes up a lot of time and is important setup for the races. So adding up the tracktimes would be a weird way of timing a (non-IL) run.
Decision posted.