<- 1  -   of 32 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Viking it up
Quote:
Can now confirm that hitting mantalith p1 early enough keeps the timer frozen for a while. saves maybe 5 to 8s?
Here: http://www.twitch.tv/mylexsi/c/6212308
Included the whole fight for the hell of it; it was nearly perfect so it can work as a better explanation than the wall of text above.

dammit stop making that fight more annoying Angry

Damage taken during a zip shouldn't prevent the zip.  Zips happen because gravity is trying to move you downward, so 2D ejection activates and pushes you upward since you're inside a solid object.  This is also why fluttering as Milla during a zip will start to make you zip downward - the game detects you trying to move up and pushes you down.  Zips always happen in the opposite of the direction you're trying to move.  If you got hit within a wall, you would recoil, then resume trying to fall, and thus continue upward.

I'm a little ashamed I never thought of using the electrical ceilings in FD2 to zip, after figuring out how the first zip in TB works.  Cardinal rule of working with new tricks in speedruns: once you figure out how it works, try it everywhere else it possibly could.
Quote from johannhowitzer:
Cardinal rule of working with new tricks in speedruns: once you figure out how it works, try it everywhere else it possibly could.

In that case, we need to try getting damaged while standing on top of SB's mashy spike plates as they retract, just before they crush us into the ceiling.
And if you feel like trying a pixel-perfect variant, same applies to the purple crystals(but only against the ceiling) on the earth ship.
Because there's a video on one of the earlier pages somewhere of someone using this in Relic Maze to get out of bounds(it's not useful there though; the screen exit is in bounds and there's no way back in)
Viking it up
Quote:
In that case, we need to try getting damaged while standing on top of SB's mashy spike plates as they retract, just before they crush us into the ceiling.

Those are only on one ship; I just now went through that ship and it doesn't look like such a zip would get you anywhere useful.
Viking it up
I just one cycled DV mini five times in a row.  Standing on flat ground and kicking harder were the two things that helped, I got a 2:57 with several mistakes that weren't the mini... 2:50 here I come.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-02-27 06:29:01 pm
Nice! Keep at it!

btw - and this goes for everyone - I've absorbed stupid amounts of details about what I'm doing during the run; If there's anything that's a pain or inconsistent, please ask. I can almost certainly help, and if I can I will. If you show me a video of some attempts, I'll be able to tell you exactly what you could do differently. If you don't know where you're losing time I can help narrow it down.
I wanna get to the point where the record is trading hands every other day and noone could reliably bet on the victor of a race, because that level of competition is awesome.
If nothing else, from what I've seen you are all capable of easily subbing 45m.

And on a related note I still intend to fill out the KB; it's just that it could turn out to be a great-wall-of-china of text and it's daunting.
Viking it up
I fully intend to be as good as you and HDL.  I love this game.

Found my own rhythm and personal strategy / cues for DV mini now, FINALLY, I've only been running this stage for what, three months??  One thing I'm doing that I haven't seen others do before - after he goes into the far right hole and comes back up, I ground cyclone across him.  Seems more reliable than kicks, when I do kicks he sometimes gets away from me.  Ground cyclone traps him.  I've seen someone (I think Rezard?) use a similar ground cyclone strat for DV boss second phase.
kicks do twice as much damage(per tick) as cyclone. That's why I use 'em. Found a sweetspot where you're guaranteed to connect with the kicks and never get fireballed, and can even occasionally break the 4th shell if you missed it before. Prettymuch max range(which is longer than it looks)
Viking it up
Yup, but cyclone costs a few frames if anything, for consistency which is what I need right now.  My success rate has gone from ~5% to ~80% tonight.  Cyclone also has no dead zone between attacks, which partly makes up for the less damage per.
Viking it up
Just got 2:53.16 DV unrecorded!  I haven't missed a single DV miniboss one cycle tonight.  Can definitely get sub 2:50 if everything can just come together.  I have all the tricks consistent in this stage now.  Reaching first screen ladder at :27, entering final screen ~2:05-2:10 usually.  Averaging 3:00 flat.  I think the biggest single mistake in that 2:53 was missing the high uppercut at the end of the second screen, forcing the spring bounce.

OK, I think Robo Panther isn't just straight "shots, purple, shots, laser, shots, rockets, upright."  I think he decides to go upright after enough of his cycles OR enough hits on the red crystal, whichever comes first.  I went in guns blazing and dealt 3-4 (not sure which) red crystal hits very quickly, and he went upright immediately.  I'm thinking the best strategy, instead of just trying to burn him down as fast as possible, would be to burn him until his next to last head shield, then get the shield to low health and let him enter a non-"shots" attack.  You can use that last attack to knock off his shield, hit the crystal, and knock off his shield again.  I'm gonna test this a bit.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 04:44:57 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 04:44:10 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 04:44:08 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 01:03:27 am
He wont go upright until the core has taken 3 hits.
Once it has, he'll go upright after his next laser sweep
He also tends to laser sweep very, very soon after his 3rd hit, but in some cases it is possible to get a 4th hit in AND get a full meter before he stands up. IF you do that, and get a very good diagonal boost as he goes up, you save time. Not sure how much, though. Or how long you'd have to wait to guarantee this.

And, you're losing time both before and after that last DV screen transition; you can get there by 1:58-ish(somewhere around 2:02 is more reasonable). And the last screen itself should take 49 seconds every time.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 08:13:13 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 08:12:20 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 08:12:18 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 08:11:56 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 08:10:59 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 08:09:49 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 08:09:12 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 08:08:50 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 08:08:05 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 08:05:53 am
Found a new damage boost strat in FD4. Saves a laser cycle(~7s, i think).
http://www.twitch.tv/mylexsi/c/6225916

props to Rezard for finding out the invulnerability thing; As long as you hold dragon boost in the laser, it wont damage you. You don't have to be DBing before it hits, just holding it at any point will prevent the damage for as long as you hold it. You can let go just before the laser ends to stop yourself from actually boosting(i.e. you can keep your meter)
One exception: For some reason, also holding a directional input while doing this will sometimes cause the laser to damage you, but only about half as much as it should. Just hold off on aiming the boost until after the laser is done.
Best guess on how this works: The laser spends a frame removing the DB state from you so it can kill you. Holding the button down means you're DB-ing again on the next frame, so it just keeps removing DB and you keep starting it up, it spends every frame just removing the DB state, so it never gets a chance to actually causing damage.

Notes on this strat:
There are plenty of ways to do it and plenty of leeway, but you need to change the details of what you do based on exactly where you are when the laser hits.
The short version is: At the springs, bounce as high as you can, let the laser boost you up a certain distance, and i-frame through the 2nd half of it.
- If you wind up right at the top(like i did), let go a little early to prevent the boost going off, continue up as normal.
- If you're a bit lower(about level with the 3rd spring from the top i think), keep the button help down and boost up-right; you should bounce off the wall and land on the grav-lift. There are crystals at the top to refill your meter with, so it's k.
- If you're MUCH lower...first, try to ride the laser up as far as you dare. If you're still not high enough to boost straight up to the grav-lift, keep the button held and boost straight horizontally into a spring, which should interrupt the boost without having to take more damage, and will get you up to the top with the earth&metal shields. You can still make it to the fire shield before the next cycle but it's a bit tight and you might take damage from the squiggle-cannon on the other side(wont kill you unless you're already on 0hp though.)

Basically, you can screw it up but still correct it and be fine. Just give it a few tries and get a feel for it, I figure this is one of those strats where we'll all perform it a little differently from eachother.
FINALLY GOT SUB 3 DV OFFLINE. SUUUUUUB 3.  If I didn't choke so much, it probably would've been 2:53-5 instead of 2:59. 
I fucked up the dragon boost with the spike tree things and got hit twice. I fucked up on the boulder twice and had to get myself hit by it to get back up to speed from botched dragon boosts, and I missed the final hit once on the snake.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-03-02 07:24:06 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 04:24:19 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-03-01 04:08:59 pm
2:59 with those mistakes sounds like it could've been a sub-2:50.
grats, dude.
Now apply that determination to all the other stages too! Cheesy

EDIT: I can stretch a segue into this;
Was watching Rezard yesterday, saw some PBs as they were scrolled past, mentioned that huge time saves(like, a full minute on some stages) were possible, seemed surprised(? )
So, wondering if trouble's being had purely because of routing/not knowing what's possible? That shouldn't be happening.
So. Have a list of PB's, and what I think can be done with a mistake-less run.

DV: 2:47 | 2:44
RM: 4:00 (after phase-skip fix) | 3:55
FN: 4:00 | 3:50
SB: 3:56 | (was mistake-less)
JC: 3:48 | 3:45
TB: 4:08 | (was mistake-less)
PL: 3:02 | (was mistake-less)
BG: 5:40 | 5:25
FD1: 1:54 | (mistake-less)
FD2: 3:25 | 3:18
FD3: 2:06 | 2:04
FD4: 2:28 | 2:21

If your time's way off any of those, go to my highlights page and check strats and use them.
Not all of them are actual PBs(ill work on that), but the strats should all be the same.
Edit history:
Rezard: 2015-03-02 10:36:57 am
Meteor Swarm
i still don't see how sub 4 fn, sb and jc are possible. I use the same route or stats most of the time, i just don't get it.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-03-03 01:58:55 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-02 04:31:23 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-03-02 04:28:18 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-03-02 04:27:23 pm
Show me a run of each and I'll make a list of everything I spot that you can improve.

EDIT: Some sub-splits i use in the meantime. Though where they are isn't exactly regular...Just wherever I happened to get into the habit of looking at the timer.
I always measure myself against these times, and they're all either PB-pace or slightly slower

FN:
- Stop sign: 0:22
- end of 1st screen: 0:43
- end of 2nd screen: 1:17
- trigger serpentine fight: 1:49
- into mall: 2:02
- screen transition after piano: 2:30

SB:
- screen transition out of metal ship: 0:55
- Begin Spade fight: 1:35
- Start of boost that leaves earth ship: 2:52

JC:
- 1st screen transition: 0:28
- 2nd screen transition: 1:18
- End of Neera fight: 1:58
- next screen transition: 2:35
Meteor Swarm
I'm allway way beyond that. like in fn , if i don't mess i hit the sign at 22. but i leave the screen at around 50. and hit the screen after piano at like 2:50 or 3:00
Gona upload some run tomorow.

finaly got sub 4:10 on rm.
Mylexsi what's the secret to getting the zip on Dread 4? First run I tried it I got it, the second run I tried it I couldn't get it. Is there a particular way you line your character up?
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-03-03 09:00:11 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-03 08:58:55 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-03 06:54:41 am
Quote from Dorkdav:
Mylexsi what's the secret to getting the zip on Dread 4? First run I tried it I got it, the second run I tried it I couldn't get it. Is there a particular way you line your character up?

There's a thin vertical red line in the background there. You want the edge of Lilac's boot to be 1 pixel to the right of the middle of the line
(note: that measurement works whichever way Lilac is facing; the front-most boot-pixel when facing left, and the back-most pixel when facing right, both go in the same place.)
Meteor Swarm
how the hell did you keep full speed underwater after the bubble ? , no matter when i press down i allway loose speed and have to boost a second time.
Also there's no way for me to go on the second section like that, i have to boost reset before the fire shield part
Viking it up
2:51.28 DV, and lost over a second on the first screen, leaving 36 flat.  I can get 2:47, all things being perfect.  Still unrecorded but I don't care, I'm under 3:00 almost every time now.
Edit history:
Rezard: 2015-03-04 12:18:22 am
Meteor Swarm
i still don't get fn boss , i could save up at least 20+ sec on him , but i allway take age  to kill... have a route for sub 4 but i'm totaly stuck at this fking boss...
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-03-04 02:35:26 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-04 02:33:10 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-04 02:29:45 am
Quote from Rezard:
how the hell did you keep full speed underwater after the bubble ? , no matter when i press down i allway loose speed and have to boost a second time.

You don't lose swim-speed unless you crash or try to swim up.
When falling down after the ground crumbles, stick to the right wall. Boost as soon as you're fully in the water, and hold flat right.
you'll pass over a bit of walkable ground shortly after boosting - just before the first bit where the ceiling dips - hold straight down as you pass over the right edge of it. Keep ↓ held until you pass the 2nd ceiling dip, then go back to flat right.

Quote:
Also there's no way for me to go on the second section like that, i have to boost reset before the fire shield part

You'll have to be more specific about where you mean and what's happening.
The fire shield on the submarine after Neera? Where I cyclone over the gaps?
I'm cycloning a little early and then holding up-right each time to make sure i float completely over the gap, then cancel it, repeat. There's a rhythm to it.
Alternatively, you can use the slight height you gain from divekicks to make it over the gaps(check this guy's run for an example). It's completely equivalent and a matter of preference. Actually the kicks is probably faster because less lag frames from hitting enemies. I just don't trust myself to time it right ;P

Quote from Rezard:
i still don't get fn boss , i could save up at least 20+ sec on him , but i allway take age  to kill... have a route for sub 4 but i'm totaly stuck at this fking boss...

Wait on the right until a few shots of his laser burst are out, then start doing jump-kick-kick-cyclone-kick-kick-kick at him(like, 2 of that combo will break the face). Try to get the first hit before he runs off-screen.
After you hit the core, run right to lure him out again(always; his position is based on yours)
- If he moves to do a special(probably will) try to get the 2nd hit off fast enough that the i-frames stop before he starts moving again, then jump inside the head and time a boost so that it goes off at the same time he starts moving again - should take most of the damage for the next hit out - though note that if he did the beam sweep, he'll usually do the bullet rain immediately afterwards at this point in the fight.
- If he doesn't go for a special, pull him just far enough out to the right that you can do a left-boost starting in his face and wind up wedged against the edge of the screen as he slowly moves through you (note: getting the height right is important for this for max damage)

After that, keep kicking him as normal. You should get another damage off some time before or during his next beam sweep(which will be his next attack), preferably so the i-frames stop before he's done.
He'll go to stand up at that point, so jump to the back of his head, and time an up-left boost. A perfectly placed one will do enough damage on its own to give you another hit. If you don't have meter for it(general timing of this can vary, so you might not), you can do the jumpy-kicky thing and get a full combo out.

After this point, make it up as you go. Cyclone-kick-kick his head when he's upright...he'll be dead or nearly by the time he gets back down, but if the armour over the core is still there and has much health left, then try for another boost that stick you against the edge of the screen...thing...im just gonna call that a 'stuck boost' from now on :/

Or for more general terms, jumpy-kicky combo is your friend
Starting a boost inside his face and going the same direction he does with it is your best friend
Doing that as he goes upright is your life partner.
Shouldn't take over about 50s.
Ideal fight(though this is rare) has his face cracked before he starts to go upright.
After numerous softlocks and huge ammount of failures on new hard tricks...

And here's a little bonus: How I broke Carol.

Now the sad thing is... I'm literally forcing myself to do runs every once in awhile so I wont' get rusty. I have little to no enthusiasm left. Because speedrunning is a community effort and frankly right now I don't have any community behind me at all. You could say "But Kligan you have best times yet!" And what is the point of having best times if there's no one to beat me or use my strats, or invent new strats I could use myself...
I'm not even moved past Trap Hideout yet... I don't feel like doing so at all right now. embarassed
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-03-04 08:32:53 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-04 08:32:34 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-04 08:29:43 am
I'm trying as hard as I can to get this game more exposure; posting runs wherever I can find somewhere relevant, trying to get a run posted on SDA main page, taking it to SGDQ, getting it mentioned in the IRC, etc.
Johann's leaderboard helps out since people have a starting point and a measuring pole
Finishing the knowledge base will help get people to start actually doing it once they're interested...

So...yeah. If you want competition then help create it ;P

Edit - A bunch of people on the official fp forums are trying to set up a streaming/publicity event for the game, too. Help out with that.
Hell, if you finish up your routing & practice, and we get a Milla runner to do the same(*stares through the leaderboard submissions at zurgriff and flaverty*), we could set up some kind of special stream for it showing all 3 characters' runs at once; would show people just how varied the game can be/show the full breadth of the game/let people focus in on the character that interests them.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-03-04 08:39:55 am
Kligan: 2015-03-04 08:39:37 am
Kligan: 2015-03-04 08:36:56 am
Kligan: 2015-03-04 08:35:53 am
Kligan: 2015-03-04 08:35:38 am
Me and Synnchrist were doing Carol's knowledge base. He filled the articles, I made icons and stuff... But now he stepped away from speedrunning and it does not seems like he'll be working on knwoledge base any more as well.
I have some boss' icons ready to fill up the strategy section.

The thing is - i'm not really social person. I don't have twitter or facebook acoounts with followers. I don't usually stream (not only because I have issues with video quality for reasons I haven't figured out, but also because it would be boring to watch me - I can't talk over my runs, I need to focus my attention or I will fail... not to mention i'm not a native english speaker so it takes alot of brain power and attention to make actual WORDS Cheesy ).
But if you want me to help you with something - just give me a direction and I'll do my best.