Use \ before commas in usernames
Meteor Swarm
Hold jump during the dragon boost.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2014-12-31 06:13:42 pm
Mylexsi: 2014-12-31 06:13:31 pm
Mylexsi: 2014-12-31 06:10:05 pm
Quote from johannhowitzer:
Got a 3:13.93 on my first full DV run after learning the whole thing.  Lots to clean up, but my first screen was around :36, which ties my best to the second, and is only one second slower than HDL (I know where I can make up the time but I'm sick of looking at screen 1).  This IL run also had my first one cycle on the miniboss, I think I understand him a little better now, but the more I understand him, the more it seems like it would be superhuman to be 100% consistent on him.  There are just too many variables to have to control and too little time.

I still want to fix a couple things on the third screen, so not moving on to RM just yet.  Relieved to finally be able to do the whole first level... it's crazy how frontloaded the difficult parts are in DV.  Everything after the miniboss is so easy.  Tongue

Aye, the first screen is a pain.
Though I've finally managed a :35 on it, after eventually realising that HDL's ground-cyclone->jump->cancel is way faster on the down-slope before the ladder to the spider/ant/whatever. Even if it is a lot harder to do. Still, my old strat(just hop over the slope entirely and DragonBoost straight right) works quite well as a backup if i don't hit the slope properly.

As for the miniboss...er....I am actually getting it quite consistently....Each shell only takes 2 hits and your basic ground & air attacks hit 3 times. In total, that is; Not per-thing-that-it-connect-with. If you time an attack wrong one of the more forward shells can eat one/more of the hits, which is probably why most not-1-cycles happen.

I'm having trouble getting full height on upward dragon boosts.  Sometimes I get the full height, sometimes I fall short, like going up the waterfall logs.  Anyone have an idea why?

There are 2 ways to get extra height from a dragon boost
1) Bounce off a wall. Only gives a slight extra boost, so only really works if you start it while next to a wall in the first place.
2) Hold Jump during the boost. Doesn't extend the boost itself, you just come out of it floatier.

______

In other news, I finally got around to doing Sky Battalion(messy run, but passable), and can I just say, it is an absolute pain in the dick. Especially the boss. No problem whatsoever to kill casually, but to kill it quickly? blegh. Erratic movement combined with a very small time limit before he decides to waste 10 seconds with that bloody wingbeat/gust attack makes for frustration. To put it quite simply, it's more annoying than Mantalith.
Edit history:
johannhowitzer: 2015-01-01 10:22:06 am
johannhowitzer: 2014-12-31 11:36:40 pm
Viking it up
Yep, that trick right before the spiderwall on the downslope is exactly the one I have yet to master.  I've done it many times without the divekick onto the slope, I just need to connect the two.

Some of the momentum-altering inputs like holding A through dragon boost or up/down during a cyclone remind me of The Lost Vikings, where you can affect Erik's gravity by holding jump while in the air.

Also I've started having problems making it to the second geyser after the switch door in time.  Used to be able to do it like half the time, now I can't get it to happen.  Am considering using Rezard's path up through the bridge instead.

You should take a look at what Rezard's been doing on Dail 1.  It looked really consistent and fast.
Viking it up
Okay, I think it's time to move on to RM.  3:07.30 just now, and I'm getting between 3:11 and 3:15 every time without the miniboss one cycle (which I've done three times today so far).  That 3:07 could have been a 3:02 but for a couple mistakes on screen two and screwing up the boss second phase a little.  I've also come really close to the half cycle on the boss first phase.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-01 09:18:48 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-01 09:18:16 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-01 09:17:40 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-01 06:21:04 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-01 06:20:03 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-01 06:19:18 pm
Spent a bit of time improving my PBs, including videos. Except DV, since I used all the same strats, just fucking up slightly less.(still wasted ~4 seconds around the spikey trees, but, eh. whatever.)
Worth keeping an eye out on my speedrun playlist; I'm always looking around for new optimisations and strats, and as soon as i find one i implement it into a new run. So, check there or on my twitch highlight every now and then. I only post a new highlight/vid if it's a significant improvement over the old one, so, tif you see something new, it should have some new usable stuff.

DV: 2:54.47

RM: 4:16.01 -- There are some obvious mistakes here, but otherwise, a few new optimizations and strats worth checking out.
- Optimised first screen(0:12-0:17); You need to get closer to the tunnel through the wall up there before boosting, and divekick just before hitting the ground. The timing for this is all feeling, but is consistent once you get used to it.
- Boosting into the turney-tunnel thing in the 2nd screen is hard, but worth; Once gotten used to it should be a consistent ~2s time-saver.
- Re: my safe mantalith skip: I very nearly got it(4:29-ish); If you knock his claws off while he's doing his jump-slash attacks, he keeps jumping(at least, he will jump 2-3 times total no matter what). As long as you break his face while he's still rising from his jump, you get a phase skip, so try to attack just as he's about to jump. Whether you succeed or fail, it's a completely free shot, you just need to knock his last arm off with some specific positioning and timing beforehand. Fortunately, that timing is basically the fastest way I can find of breaking them anyway. And the positioning is on the right edge of the broken mantalith eye in the background.

FN - 4:18.94 -- Generally satisfied with this, bar 1 thing in the level and needing a faster boss kill.
- I'm absolutely sure it's faster to go through the loop near the start rather than over it. I messed up getting the shield, but even with that it wound up being the same speed as the other strat.
- Just use the charge-up from your boost to roll through the bombs(after the laser ship thing), and boost up to the springs immediately. It doesn't damage your shield.
- After the first spinny-elevator(3:18), it's actually faster to (after running along a little) just boost up-left, hitting some springs that take you straight to the spikey-floor-sweeper-dude. I didn't go for it because I brain-farted, but it is definitely faster.

SB - 4:20.57 -- Messy and needs to be re-done. Pretty sure i can hit sub 4:10 with a good run.
- Probably better on the first mini-boss to not dragonboost when i did, instead just drop to the floor, run left, and boost through it to the right. Probably lost a few seconds just running over to the exit, there.
- On the fire ship, in the first indoor bit, you can damage boost off the first flame and it saves time. I messed it up but you can easily see where i tried it.
- Regarding Spade: He suddenly becomes quite the idiot if you just walk in the same direction as him. Do it slightly inside or behind him, and quick-killing him becomes easy
- Regarding the giant (pea)cock): Figured out his movement a bit better; He'll swoop down to your height, then stick at that height and keep swooping left & right alternately. Helps a lot to know that. The strat you see in the vid seems to be the one to use. I implemented it poorly but you can get the idea.
a RM run that actually has mantalith (safe)phase-skip in it.

skip to 3:50 for full mantalith fight. 4:20 for just phase-skip stuff.
Meteor Swarm
I managed to pull that on stage 5 boss. I wonder if there's a way to make it consitant.
http://www.twitch.tv/rezard/c/5813789
Just want to say that single segment runs aren't the best way to gauge IL progress, as they always have mistakes in them.  There's still like 2 and a half minutes I can save off that run.

In any case I'll be going to AGDQ soon.  Sadly FP wasn't picked, but maybe it'll get in SGDQ?
Viking it up
Yeah, I've been taking the strats I use from multiple sources.  Rezard and Mylexsi in particular have had some interesting ideas, though with a very well optimized route already available, it's hard not to steal almost everything from you.  Smiley

I mentioned the idea of creating an IL leaderboard somewhere.  That would give people learning some tangible targets to shoot for.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-05 11:53:48 am
Mylexsi: 2015-01-05 11:52:16 am
Mylexsi: 2015-01-05 11:51:22 am
Quote from HDL:
Just want to say that single segment runs aren't the best way to gauge IL progress, as they always have mistakes in them.  There's still like 2 and a half minutes I can save off that run.

I know dude. Just I have little else to use. For now it's still a nice baseline for something to consider a decent time(taking into consideration how you commented on it at the end; if it was bad you usually say so). And ultimately I am going for a single-segment, just I'm learning one level at a time.

Rezard and Mylexsi in particular have had some interesting ideas.

Almost none of 'my ideas' are actually mine; I find runs wherever I can and just aggregate all the fastest strats. And I just use YoutubeDoubler to see which is fastest.
Also HDL had a really long 'testing stuff' stream I twokked a bunch of stuff from(like jumping straight back into the turney-tunnel in relic maze).
I can optimise here and there, but I wouldn't even know where to begin routing stuff myself.

__

Quote from HDL:
In any case I'll be going to AGDQ soon.  Sadly FP wasn't picked, but maybe it'll get in SGDQ?

Aww....sucks :<
Viking it up
Actually, before I looked at anyone else's route in DV, I routed it myself.  My routing had some minor inefficiencies but was pretty similar in many places to what I'm doing now.  Once I started looking at others' routes, it became clear there wasn't a lot of point to doing the whole game in a vacuum - some of these routing ideas are super impressive and polished.

This game is incredibly fun to practice.  I often tell myself "I'll practice for a couple hours" and eight hours later I'm still saying, "just one more try."
Meteor Swarm
anyone find a way to fix the issue with screen tearing on X4 screen display ? I tried custom resolution like 1900 X 1060 ect with borderless windows but is still present. And i don't want to play on X3 resolution
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-05 04:03:31 pm
Quote from Rezard:
anyone find a way to fix the issue with screen tearing on X4 screen display ? I tried custom resolution like 1900 X 1060 ect with borderless windows but is still present. And i don't want to play on X3 resolution

I've been playing at x4 since the beginning and have never had a problem with it...
That said, My monitor is (usually) wonky as fuck. it's 1680x1050(which is 16:10) native to start with. Other than that, it refuses to keep the image completely on-centre no matter what. I actually play missing a few lines of pixels on the bottom of my screen. Sometimes off the top, too.
Edit history:
Rezard: 2015-01-07 02:39:31 am
Rezard: 2015-01-07 12:34:31 am
Rezard: 2015-01-06 10:20:41 pm
Meteor Swarm
Found a new trick for the stage 8 boss. You can hit him before the fight start.

Also you can (but its very hard to do) hit him 3 time when he's hairbone. I managed to pull it once during some training. (one with Dboost, 2 with normal kick move)
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-07 05:02:15 am
Mylexsi: 2015-01-07 05:01:15 am
Not bad. But how did you get meter for the cyclone back during the cutscene?

Also, one thing i've been considering(but i havent gotten around to battle glacier yet); Since you can wall-climb with Lilac(long-dragonboost straight horizontally into the wall repeatedly.), albeit slowly...is it worth it to do this and stay at the same height as Dail? I'm thinking DB, wallbonk, kick(and/or cyclone), repeat. Obviously, when he's on the side close to you.
Edit history:
Rezard: 2015-01-07 04:57:07 pm
Rezard: 2015-01-07 03:23:59 pm
Meteor Swarm
You have to wait.
Wall climbing > cylcone its a way. But its not that great imho. The only advantage is that you can hit 3 time with a well placed aircopter
Would really love to see this game get run at a GDQ event in the near future! Just got into speedrunning for myself and Freedom Planet is one of the games I've chosen to start out on. So far I've only been able to pull a sub-4:00 on DV without consulting any routes, but seeing all the planning you have done so far in this thread shows me how much I can improve!
Meteor Swarm
And seriously i don't understand at all why hdl couln't run the game at the current gdq. This is just beyond logic.

Hope it will be either a bonus run or at the next sgdq.
Viking it up
Been watching Kligan today, who has been practicing Relic Maze as Carol... and wow.  Carol looks incredibly hard.  The mind games with pounces are very strong, and some of the wall jumps seem really tricky.  I don't think he was watching chat, I told him about the skip in the hang bar section in the low first half, and the restart after the block miniboss, but he didn't start doing them and neither responded in chat or seemed to be using a mic.  Definitely give him a follow, though.
Meteor Swarm
I have my solid route for DV now.

I just mess up everytime at the end just before the boulder... this time i pressed X and O at the same time by accident ><..
Quote from Rezard:
I have my solid route for DV now.

I just mess up everytime at the end just before the boulder... this time i pressed X and O at the same time by accident ><..

For the start of the second snake fight, when it comes out of the right-most hole, I find that standing a little farther to the left of the hole and spamming your basic whip attack hits all the segments which allows you to dragon boost the head before it dives into the next hole.  It takes a little experimenting to figure out the distance, but I'm hitting all the orbs about 80% of the time.  It definitely seems more effective than getting super close.
Meteor Swarm
Ho right. i think the position is at the middle of the bush. But i either forget about it or miss the last hit. the boost is not neccessary a dive kick do the work too.
Hitting all the orbs is about the timing, not your positioning. and the boost is easier/completely consistent, so..

But yeah, that route.

I love the cyclone off the wall after the invincibility, that's genius, and your strat for the very last section before the spider/ant is damn-near as fast as the fastest strat but 100% consistent, so that's awesome too. I cut 2 seconds off my PB with those :3 (2:51.64 now.)

Other stuff though:
- Biggest thing I can see for improvement is that spikey hill at 0:25; Do a floaty divekick just as the rock spire in the background goes off-screen; You'll land perfectly on the down-slope of the hill and can keep a hell of a lot more speed.
- 0:48: Jump sideways off the ladder and kick down from the ceiling; it's slightly faster and helps you hit the steam/geyser cycle. The point where the small vines start is a good marker.
- In general, I see you using the uppercut a lot for basically no reason; Unless you're doing the higher version or you know you're going to bonk a wall, it's the same as a normal jump. Same goes for divekicking when you run off a ledge; unless you actually want to land sooner, there's no point; you don't lose any momentum from running off things.
- going up the last waterfall, charge a dragon boost while sliding across the ground, bounce off the left wall, make it a long dragon boost, and do a divekick just before you reach the apex of the jump; it looks cool and it's slightly faster than using one of the logs.
Edit history:
Rezard: 2015-01-15 05:35:57 am
Rezard: 2015-01-15 05:35:37 am
Meteor Swarm
sub 2:10 FD3. With a bad start.

i don't use the divekick for the spike hill. A well timmed uppercut will trigger the same effect.
i time some jump with the uppercut. I miss thoses with normal jump.

Apparently the divekick strats on the slope save no time at all. Or a very minor amount.
I generaly kill the ant at 36-37. And i got the very same time either with the dive kick or the dp. Fact is , if you miss your kick timming and land on the wrong way of the slope , its a massive loos.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-15 05:45:25 am
Ah well, fair enough, but the basic premise of what I'm saying still applies; You do seem to perform a lot of extraneous actions that either do nothing for you or potentially slow you down.

Also, just remembered a thing, though I've no idea if there's any use for it: After the Spider/Ant dies, if you jump but boost low enough to the ground, you can bounce off the spring, which keeps your speed while interrupting the dragon boost and thus preserving your meter. I doubt it will help any in that particular place, but something to keep in mind and look for uses for...

And as for the divekick/hill thing, I hit it 95% of the time(which is as consistent as i ever get with anything) using the rock spire as a visual cue, and I'm getting screen transitions now at 34.9 to 36.3.
Also, i don't feel like hitting the up-slope slows me down any more than jumping/uppercutting over it completely; Either way the result is a big loss of momentum. Though frankly if both can work, and both can fail, then balls to it, it's just personal preference.

Oh, and another thing I remembered: In Relic Maze's 2nd half, after you boost over the chest at the start of the 2nd screen, I'm relatively certain it's actually faster to go down rather than up; divekick immediately after the boost so you roll over the ground during the animation, slam into the downslope,  jump & cyclone through the breakable wall and jump+boost-right shortly after the drill enemy. Then continue as normal. I'm not completely certain because i ahven't youtube-doubler'd it, but I do seem to be hitting the later screen transitions sooner on average, so...