Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Freakin' Funky Fuzzballs (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'Bouchart'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Freakin' Funky Fuzzballs (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/freakinfunkyfuzzballs-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Sept. 5, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
I verified and rejected the last submission. I don't have the video of it, but I'm pretty certain the submitted run is quite a bit faster. However, I have the same concerns as last time. The runner seems to randomly run back and forth instead of developing routes with as many straights as possible (accelerating to top speed when running in a straight line is crazy fast). I'm also wondering if better routing could have prevented some of the backtracking. While this game is 100% pure rng and with maps that look complex to route perfect paths through, I believe the runner should've spent more time at the drawing table to develop faster routes.

reject (but would love to hear if the runner can justify their route choices)
HELLO!
Yeah if I'm understanding this video right, you're having to do a few things:

- avoid the enemy
- pick up items
- find the door.

Doing long straight swaths should be best for finding the door right?  *Is* ktwo missing something here?
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2014-09-02 12:48:25 pm
Seems to me if you run only in straight lines, you might have to backtrack further to actually collect the items but then I don't know why you couldn't just collect them on your next pass. Then, afaics the runner does just that in many places... so I don't know why he doesn't do it more. Anything to do with the monster? I can see some amount of health management is in order.

Anyway I can see a lot of room for improvement with route planning to make the runs more systematic. Way more so. Grab some screenshots and Photoshop... Also there's mistakes with overall decision-making like at 12:07 the runner goes for a shield that he then instantly loses to the monster, which looks like it was just going to happen... So even with that seemingly quite quick final level I think this is a

reject for now
Not a walrus
Could I get a bit more discussion on this one? I know you both said reject, but you seemed a bit confused about the runner's routing so I think a few more eyes on this would be good.
Edit history:
AlecK47: 2014-09-07 06:09:09 pm
A/V good, no cheating I could see

OK, so I did a little research on the game and watched the run three times with different things in mind each time, but I really wish I'd seen the previous submission ktwo mentioned because that would have given me a lot more perspective.

First off, play seems good.  There are mistakes here and there, especially in the isometric sections, but by and large the gameplay seems perfectly acceptable.

The routing/paths taken do seem a bit unoptimized in certain places as mentioned previously, but in many of them I noticed that there was an area transition along the more efficient path and the transitions take a fraction of a second to resolve, which definitely mitigates that point.  Most of the remainder I would guess were either movement mistakes to begin with or to deal with enemies, so I'll give that a pass as well.

One major point against this run, which I could be dead wrong about for all I know, happens in level 5: at 2:25 the runner has all the keys in the level revealed but spends an extra 12 seconds or so exploring the middle area.  Whether it was for more health (completely unnecessary - I don't think I saw a health value under 100 for the rest of the run) or just that the runner didn't notice the key (which is my guess) this is a significant point against the run.

I really wish I had a strong opinion about this run, but I just don't know enough about the game.  It seems good enough to me, but not enough for me to really go out on a limb for it.  Weak accept
I watched this run several times, was confused as everyone else and wanted to reject it just 2h ago, then I found an easy accesible version and tried the game.
There are some things you should really know about this game:
Your starting position is random; enemies move faster the faster you move; enemies can tag along with your every step to deal consecutive damage >.<; enemies go to the wands when they appear instantly(or they dont care for several seconds and the rush there); Keys can be hidden under the second coloured layer; You die if you stay on one field for too long XD ;
Knowing this now I can state that enemies are much more dangerous than what it looks like in the run so every move avoiding them and the few seconds spent catching them seem to be worth the time.
So Level 1-4 are really well played, picking up vitality upgrades not getting hit and having good key luck.
Level 5 was good too except for when he overlooked the key at the end, but knowing the second layer thing its understandable(still a mistake though).
Level 6 Good RNG. Level 7+8 Bad/average RNG as it seems but with the number of pickups this was to be expected. The early potion gives an additional vitality raise whats useful. It's good that he got at least once good rng.
Level 9-11: well played but with some smaller mistakes. He should've used the wands in lvl 11 at least to save time.
Level 12-14: I can only assume that these teleporters are random since the runner isnt transported from room to room in a specific order. So staying in a room and checking every tile seems to be the right way to go. I can just assume average rng here.

From the run itself it looks like a way should be at last 5~6 tiles long for running, if a screen transition is in there 6~7(since they take time as well). Taking the enemies into consideration and the random starting/ending position his routing looks acceptable. Its well enough executed, has average or better RNG most of the time and even though there are some mistakes I'd rather lean to a rather weak accept than a reject. But its still somewhat of a borderline decision.
do we have means of attracting the runner?
HELLO!
Okay, Elren's point is critical here I think.  If the enemy moves one square for every square you move, then zooming along would be incredibly risky.

I have to lean accept on that, with that added information.
If my language was bad and was therefore misunderstood, i appology. My english is kinda bad most of the time. I havent intensively played this game enough, so there is no way for me to definetly say how and when the enemies move exactly. But there are three things that are obvious while playing:
1. Enemies have a timer after which they'll move even if you dont.
2. Enemies can move when you move. This seems to be connected to a random chance, so they dont always move when you move.
3. 1 and 2 overlap, what means the timer is still active when you move. So in worst case enemies can actually move more tiles than you even though the chance for that is slim if your input is fast enough.

So yeah, zooming can potentionally be pretty dangerous since enemies could possibly tag along or move big distances. But i just cant say how they're behaving during zooming since its hard to observate.
I hope this was understandable.
Not a walrus
I'll poke the runner and see if I can get them to come address your concerns.
Based on Elren's points I'll go ahead and change my verdict to a generic accept rather than a weak one.
Not a walrus
I'm going to give the runner a couple of days to come explain things before I make a decision.
Decision posted.