Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 85 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
The ending is missing because right after where I cut the video off the "graphic glitch' occurs. FPS slows to a pulp and everything looks messed up beyond repair during the running through white non-space scene. Think 56 Irvines on screen at once covering up all text boxes: messed up.

I was meaning to get those comments updated as they were specifically for the validators. Someone uploaded my videos before me and it was up before I got around to updating them though. I'm gunna write a few extra things like shoutouts/talking about doing the run and hopefully get them added in if a moderator will be so kind.

Also I might send in my high quality versions as the ones up currently are still a bit choppy.

Glad this runs up on the site officially Smiley
King of hearts
FUCK YEAH! I know how I'm going to spend my next 8 hours. Great job Sush I'm glad this run didn't fade out.
When in doubt, use explosives.
I hope I'm not the only one having the audio desync issues with the HQ and the embedded flash version available on the run page.
Thus far, desync and technical things aside, the run is looking incredible.

I honestly can't wait for a fix on this! Good job, Sush!
Quote from Sush:
Glad this runs up on the site officially Smiley

Yes!
But I still think it is cursed until the HQs get updated Wink
The PlayStation version of the game has better sound. The PC version sounds like midi music from the 80s.
Quote from GayStation:
The PlayStation version of the game has better sound. The PC version sounds like midi music from the 80s.

Well it IS MIDI music. Which means it's as good as you can make MIDI music sound, which varies. Though I also dare say you don't even know why "sounds like MIDI music from the 80s" is so laughable.
Make it so.
Quote from GayStation:

You know that the phrase *MIDI music* as you are using it doesn't make sense right? MIDI is not sounds, it's a language, it's just instructions for a sound. If I were playing FFVIII on PC I could theoretically hook it up through ProTools/LogicPro, map sampled instruments to MIDI input and play the game with what would effectively be a full, live orchestra.  Better sound than the PlayStation version for sure.

The problem is that the built in MIDI synthesiser of any given computer (which is called the GM synth, or General MIDI synth) is a standardised set of pretty terrible noises.

Saying MIDI music is bad is like saying that poetry written with the alphabet is bad Tongue

On a side note however, yes the music that you will hear when playing the PC port is damn awful!
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
So this then begs the somewhat obvious question... how can I change my MIDI synthesiser to something less depressingly awful?
Quote from Tiberius:
Saying MIDI music is bad is like saying that poetry written with the alphabet is bad Tongue

Yeah, I didn't think much about what I said, I just meant that it sounded bad.

By the way, it's pretty awesome that you can post here without logging in, that's a very rare feature nowadays. Logins are a pain.
Found an RTA of the japanese version that might be worth looking over.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/25426985
Posted this in the verification topic but might as well post here too for completion sake: Nate says my encodes of the run have now replaced the old ones on the run page so if you were waiting for good quality videos before watching you can do so now.

The audio/video problems have all been sorted out in these versions. Sorry I took so long to do it myself everyone and anonymous encoder friend.

p.s. Flip should be updating the runner comments sometime soon to include a more in-depth description of the PC port, problems and shoutouts.
RPG TASer
Poxnor: Should we revisit the idea of fixing the 'blow away junction' issue?
Moo! Flap! Hug!
We could, but I'm happy enough with the two Str+60% from Bahamut for the marathon.  It makes any bonus bosses that people donate for faster, it makes the 100% castle-clear incentive possible (I'm not sure it would really be feasible otherwise), and it lets me take down the end bosses quickly enough that losing a junction is rare at worst.
SDA Speedruns: 1
Can this game have a single segment category because of the disc skipping if played on the ps3(PSN version) you can swap discs by pressing the home button and switching the discs via the switch disc option.

It would be longer obviously than the PC or PS2 fast disc speed versions because of the natural length between loading screens being slightly longer than its two predecessors.
Exoray
Disc swapping does not prevent a run from being single-segment so there could be an SS category for any version. Obviously the fastest version would be preferred.
If i run the game it will be on the PSN Version as this is the version I own and probably most common now with everyone having ps3's.  I'm watching dark wasabi's 8:47 and I think even though he is using fast disk speed. I can clean it up and should be able to achieve a time less than that. Single segment on other hand would probably add 20-30 mins to the time cuz of it being ss.
Professional Second Banana
Doesn't PS2 fast disc speed cause random crashes in FF8?  I've heard that from Poxnor and Carcinogen, and I would hate to take a risk like that in a single-segment RPG run.
If you look back about 50 or so pages, Wasabi's PS2 also loaded faster than average. He clocked 9 minutes on the first segment, and when I do it perfectly, I still can't break 9 minutes by the first save.

I really only think the PSN version of any PlayStation game should be in the same category as a disc run, AS LONG AS IT IS PLAYED ON PS3. The way the PS3 handles emulation is akin to the PS1. For stability's sake, I would most certainly say run that version anyway for an SS. Good luck getting sub-8:47 without segmenting though, that sounds fucking intense.

PSP on the other hand is an entirely different beast, because it loads super super fast. I'm going to do some more testing before SGDQ to see how much time the PSP cuts off since RE1 maps and cutscene skips loaded in a split second.
Edit history:
FFgamer86: 2012-04-08 05:37:56 am
I am satisfied with my disc 1 route now and have started studing wasabi's 8:47 for the whole game route. I will then compare my notes I take during his route and watch sush's route and update my notes a bit to see what he did differently and why and how much it saves.  I then will try to incorporate any other ideas into the run that will save a few seconds here and there to try and get time as low as possible.

EDIT:

I just did practice runs up to diablos. Not submittable tries but just decent tries to get a good comparison and ended at 1:34 with some sloppy later segments.  Quistis Card mainly cost a lot of time cuz of just deciding to get it instead of trying to get perfect on it cost me 3-4 mins. Also could have saved another 2-4 mins on Elvoret/X-ATM092 fights and another 30 seconds on Granaldo + Raldos. Overall I think 1:25-1:26 is good at that spot for a PSN version.  Wasabi's run has a save file at 1:23:43 after killing Diablos.

This means I am losing due to screen transitions about 2 mins per hour.  If we assume darkwasabi's run is up todate which its not then we add in 2 mins for each hour his run is we get a final time for PSN version at 8:47 + 0:17 or about 9:04.  Now with the possible timesavers that have been found since his run was put online we can probably save enough time to get down below 9 hours.

My question is. If i happen to get a "clean run" that clocks in at 8:59 or lower, would it be safe to submit it for a PSN Any% Category.
Edit history:
FFgamer86: 2012-04-15 10:16:00 pm
FFgamer86: 2012-04-11 12:03:36 am
I might end up doing it on the ps2 with fast disc speeds anyway if the psn version will have a too long enough time.  I Want to do it with the PSN version because the memory card switching is so much easier.

EDIT: This is segmented btw im talking about.  Single segment would definitely have to be done on the PSN since of the crashing issues using the fast disc speed of the ps2's.

2nd Edit: I tried doing this on ps2 with fast disc speeds but the lag was so terrible I had to cut out before the opening cut scene due to freezes.  Looks like any run for me will be done on the PSN version.
Im leaving for vegas tuesday for a pool tournament and will be back saturday.  I will start working on single segment ff8 on psn version with help from poxnor's old notes. Will be adding in my own stuff plus the stuff poxnor has changed to the ss route.  Not sure of an estimate time yet until I start running it and set some benchmarks. I will probably do each disc seperate for practice so that my practices arent that long and then when it comes to recording I will try to stream it as I do it but I need to find out what hardware I need to do it right. I heard something about dvd recorder and can't remember the other items needed.
Quote:
Obviously the fastest version would be preferred.

Hum, the JPN PC version...

I made a comparison vid of 4 speedruns.
I only finished the first disc, but it shows off some of the timing differences between the different versions.
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Quote from Carcinogen:
PSP on the other hand is an entirely different beast, because it loads super super fast.

Is that with or without the Fast Disc Speed option on the PSP Go?  (Despite the fact that there's no disc, heh...it has something to do with cache lookahead, I'd guess.)  I've heard you describe the PSP as really fast, but I've never been able to nail down if you're using that Fast Disc Speed option on the PSP, Carc.

Quote from puwexil:
Doesn't PS2 fast disc speed cause random crashes in FF8?  I've heard that from Poxnor and Carcinogen, and I would hate to take a risk like that in a single-segment RPG run.

PSP with Fast Disc Speed is also a crashy mess, from what I've read online (though never tried myself).  Hence my above question to Carc -- I'm trying to figure out if the PSP is super-fast only with Fast Disc Speed, or if it's fast even without.
I just got back from Vegas and will be working on route practice/memorization really soon
Quote from Poxnor:
Quote from Carcinogen:
PSP on the other hand is an entirely different beast, because it loads super super fast.

Is that with or without the Fast Disc Speed option on the PSP Go?  (Despite the fact that there's no disc, heh...it has something to do with cache lookahead, I'd guess.)  I've heard you describe the PSP as really fast, but I've never been able to nail down if you're using that Fast Disc Speed option on the PSP, Carc.

Quote from puwexil:

PSP with Fast Disc Speed is also a crashy mess, from what I've read online (though never tried myself).  Hence my above question to Carc -- I'm trying to figure out if the PSP is super-fast only with Fast Disc Speed, or if it's fast even without.

Historically, I've only used Fast Disc Speed on PSP... But cache lookahead actually makes sense, haha. I'm pretty sure it'd load really fast either way. I'll experiment with it some more, since I'm hooking up my PSP Go and playing this game again. This month, I'm dedicating my time to FFVIII (trying to relearn the route and working on a few segments along the way), RE1, and RE2.