Sad
<- 1  -   of 85 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
sda loyalist
Well yes, but you have to sit through the Aura casting animation first. There is an Auto-Aura GF ability (I think?) but no way is he going to have the time to learn that one.
cast aura with selphies limit
Quote from Lag.Com:
Auto-Aura GF ability (I think?)

No I do not think there is.  The game is so broken already, if Square added that in they may as well have sold the game with the disks snapped in half.
Quote from sucker:
cast aura with selphies limit

LOL

No. Are you kidding me? Just NO. =|

#1- Rejunctioning HP takes less time
#2- Selphie's Slot limit takes up too much time for a successful cast
#3- May as well just use The End.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Carcinogen you mentioned using fire ammo aganist olibolies but there is a better solution for some reason they can be killed with degenerator i dont really know why but surely that would be the fastest way to beat them
Edit history:
yoshmaster5: 2008-11-13 10:33:01 am
Also tenkiforecast
You fight the Oilboyles with only Squall and Irvine.

You won't have Quistis for degenerator at that part.

Edit:
I have bad memory.
Forget I said anything. X_x;
Edit history:
Carcinogen: 2008-11-13 06:24:26 pm
Quote from yoshmaster5:
You fight the Oilboyles with only Squall and Irvine.

You won't have Quistis for degenerator at that part.

You're thinking of the Iguions.

The Oilboyles appear on Disc 2, during the return to Balamb Garden after the Missile Base.

So guys, Disc 2, event advancement, gogogo.

EDIT: Quick update. Completed Segment 6 of my draft run. I dodged X-ATM092 by going into the restaurant, then saved on the beach so I could get the Zell card in the next segment. That segment will mostly be plot advancement, and the segment after that will be the training center event up to Squall's dorm the next morning.

Also, for the record, Elvoret can be killed in 2 Renzokukens with 80 Waters junctioned to Squall's attack, provided he gets the maximum number of hits. My 5th segment is quite luck-intensive because of this. I'm sure that if I spent more time on segment 4 (Dollet Beach to Communication Tower) by avoiding the one random battle and making sure Squall's HP was dangerously low, I could've saved a lot of time and frustration in the next segment. Either way, draft run, whatever.

The random encounters in this game will bug the hell out of me when I do the real run, but I'm determined to bend this game over and spank it like a little bitch. =D
Hi, I have an important question...

I have just started doing my FFVIII speed runs for the first time after multilple runs through VII & IX ... and was wondering about the NTSC and PAL differences... the timer? I play the PAL version of FFVIII as I'm English. In GarlandG's FFVII Speed FAQ it states that PAL gamers have an advantage meaning they need to add time on to their final score because of the FMVs.. but FFIX's speed run guides, it states that time should be reduced on the PAL versions because the game runs at a slower speed..

So I'm wondering.... FFVIII is like VII or IX... do i add time or reduce it? I really need to know this before I can take start taking my FFVIII speedruns seriously..

And good job so far to those who have posted here, some extremely valuble information, most of which I didn't know.
so whatever happened 2 this run, i would love 2 C a final fantasy 8 speedrun. i cant find 1 on youtube, all i C is a playthrough (they should call that 1 slowrun, U get it? Bcause its the opposite of speedrun) did this speedrun get abandonded or what?

ps. i know i can't spell.
You aren't paying attention. I'm working on it.
Quote from Carcinogen:
You aren't paying attention. I'm working on it.

yo mama's not paying attention
My mother has nothing to do with you hitting the post button before reading the last couple of pages of the thread, therefore your argument is invalid. gg.

Back to the thread.

I'm thinking I'll hold out on the Quistis card until Disc 2. It'd be borderline impossible to get it early on Disc 1, with only the Ifrit card available to me.

When I get Card Mod, I can still refine Zell and Gayla to get Str+60% and meltdown. It won't be a huge sacrifice of time, and should hopefully be enough to keep the pace until I can get Quistis and junction Triple. By then, I'll have gotten better free cards anyway.

I'll get straight to the end of Disc 1 to work out all the levelling kinks, then I'll restart.
Quote from Carcinogen:
My mother has nothing to do with you hitting the post button before reading the last couple of pages of the thread, therefore your argument is invalid. gg.

Back to the thread.

I'm thinking I'll hold out on the Quistis card until Disc 2. It'd be borderline impossible to get it early on Disc 1, with only the Ifrit card available to me.

When I get Card Mod, I can still refine Zell and Gayla to get Str+60% and meltdown. It won't be a huge sacrifice of time, and should hopefully be enough to keep the pace until I can get Quistis and junction Triple. By then, I'll have gotten better free cards anyway.

I'll get straight to the end of Disc 1 to work out all the levelling kinks, then I'll restart.

yo mama's thinking she'll hold out on the Quistis card until Disc 2. It'd be borderline impossible to get it early on Disc 1, with only the Ifrit card available to yo mama.

When yo mama gets Card Mod, she can still refine Zell and Gayla to get Str+60% and meltdown. It won't be a huge sacrifice of time, and should hopefully be enough to keep the pace until yo mama can get Quistis and junction Triple. By then, yo mama will have gotten better free cards anyway.

yo mama is gonna get straight to the end of Disc 1 to work out all the levelling kinks, then she'll restart.
Guest posting is a privelage. Don't fag it up for people who can actually contribute something to the thread.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Just so you know, you can get banned even though you're a guest, so please cut the crap.
King of hearts
Getting the Quistis card immediately is actually easier than it seems, it just takes some time.  You just gotta keep trying and get good at the game.  Also, there are times when you reset, your opponent will use the exact same hand.  Just remember how you beat him when he had a certain hand and you'll be able to do it perfectly next time.

I'm going to upload my entire low quality w/ no audio run sometime since now I definitely think this run isn't going to be completed by me.  I just have no desire to get this run complete.  I will however help anyone with anything I know.
Quote from darkwasabi:
Getting the Quistis card immediately is actually easier than it seems, it just takes some time.  You just gotta keep trying and get good at the game.  Also, there are times when you reset, your opponent will use the exact same hand.  Just remember how you beat him when he had a certain hand and you'll be able to do it perfectly next time.

I'm going to upload my entire low quality w/ no audio run sometime since now I definitely think this run isn't going to be completed by me.  I just have no desire to get this run complete.  I will however help anyone with anything I know.

Well I hope you do. At least we'll see what you've worked on and we can get a general idea of what to be expected in the run.

But either way, as always, I'm still waiting for this one.
Quote from darkwasabi:
I'm going to upload my entire low quality w/ no audio run sometime since now I definitely think this run isn't going to be completed by me.

will be interesting to see, i look forward to it.
only just stumbled across the thread,
wasn't able to find any information about the 8:47 run (didnt have the energy to look through 80+ pages!)
was it uploaded?

darkwasabi:
"I'm going to upload my entire low quality w/ no audio run sometime since now I definitely think this run isn't going to be completed by me.  I just have no desire to get this run complete.  I will however help anyone with anything I know."

good to see...look forward to it
excellent job for all the work you've done _b
Quote from darkwasabi:

Excellent my friend, go for it. Lift that burden. That's exactly what you should do in this scenario. Passionate people will/can use your knowledge and experience to do great things and you will be credited.  Reminds me of blog posts I've left almost-finished for months, and reminds me of this guy: http://rpgworldcomic.com/ too. Just take what you've got, even in its imperfection and make it public, it'll get cleaned up nice and turn into something you'll be proud of, and you will be noted and thanked! It will be awesome, I look forward to it. Smiley
Let the music play!
You can actually win the Seifer Card in Disc 1, as early as just before leaving for the Timber mission. After Cid gives you the Magic Lamp, he returns to his office on 3F, you can challenge him there. Seifer card can also refine to 3 Diamond Armors, 5 of which refine into Elem Guard (gives GF the Elem-Def-Jx4 ability)
Seifer card is a bad idea because

1) too far outside of the route (5+ minutes)
2) elem def-j is unneccessary, and you're not going to have a reason to use it considering you're not going to draw any elemental magic.
3) It's useless by that point, since you'll have all the cards you need to refine and break the game.
King of hearts
I finally got around to uploading all the files.  Like I said before, these are in crappy 128kbps quality(LQ by SDA standards) and have no audio because these were the pre-muxed videos I saved just to use as a reference.  Don't be fooled by archive.org's MPEG4 and OGG versions and think they're decent quality, just get the .avi(Cinepack) files.

http://www.archive.org/details/Ff8SpeedrunnoAudio
http://www.archive.org/details/Ff8SpeedRunnoAudioPt2
http://www.archive.org/details/Ff8SpeedRunnoAudioPt3

This is the run that should've been up 2 years ago but then I found out that it was inconsistent in two parts. 

One is very small but I found it because I was thinking about how I sometimes attempted segments 2 times and copied the older file to another memory card just in case that one was quicker.  Well this was one of those cases but I had forgotten to copy the file back.  So I stayed with one video but continued playing with the other save file.  I noticed this later when I was doing the same thing again with the next segment.  You can see in segment 9 at around 18:22 that Squall need 201 Exp to level up, but in segment 10 at 2:57 Laguna(Squall) needs 175.  Very very minor considering this has absolutely no effect on the run and since I guarantee no one would have ever noticed this inconsistency.  Ever.  Seriously, who the hell would have kept track of that?  Not even the verifiers(yeah I'm talking to you guys!).

So I continued on my merry fucking way until I beat the damn game.  I was in the middle of uploading this run when I realized that I didn't have the 24 segments I was supposed to and had 23.  FUCK.  So I went and checked the beginnings and endings of each file when I saw that the original segment 16 was gone.  Segment 17 was named 16 and everything else was consistent.  Must've forgotten to set my capture to create a new file before starting the next segment.  Double FUCK.

I asked Radix if I could just redo that segment since I still had all my save files.  He said as long as everything is consistent it's OK.  Well, segment 9 and 10's little upset wasn't big since everyone heals, the only way you'd notice the inconsistency is to keep track of everyone's Exp.  But here the HP was different.  HP is a lot more noticeable.  Not only that but I also had gotten some different items in that paratroop battle or something.  Don't remember right now.  Still that's TWO parts in the game where it's inconsistent.  I couldn't just upload it and hope no one noticed it, even though in all honesty BOTH inconsistencies changed absolutely nothing in the run.  Triple MOTHER FUCK!

Oh well, what's done is done.

If anyone does attempt this run make sure you use that walking trick discussed in the last few pages.  It'll save you a couple of random encounters and ultimately save a couple of minutes.  Go ahead and ask me anything about this game or my run, I'm quite knowledgeable.  If my 3 little swears offend anybody, it's the internet, get over it and have a merry fucking christmas.
Quote from darkwasabi:
I finally got around to uploading all the files.

Thanks for this.
Pandora's box has been opened.

I foresee some competition.

Gonna try this run again after I get a new capture card for Christmas.