Sad
<- 1  -   of 85 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
King of hearts
Two things to update, but both don't change much in the run sadly... 

One is that I've finally got a psx emulator to run so I can test things out.  One thing I tested was whether things you do in battle affect the items you get afterward, such as killing the Fastitocalon-Fs with a Quezacotl instead of Renzokuken.  I made a savestate right at the beginning of a couple of battles with them, but no matter what I did or how long I took to finish the battle, I got the same amount of Fish Fins afterward.

Second thing is the menu trick.  Prolonging any of the battles so that they are completely shifted to any different screen(even if you're still in the same area, like Fire Cavern) changes the entire random encounter placements of all subsequent encounters.  But slightly shifting the battle a little farther also slightly shifts subsequent encounters farther.  This can help some parts where I get into an encounter right as I'm about to leave the area, but skipping these encounters doesn't change the placements of future encounters.

Sounds kinda confusing, but what I'm trying to say is that it'll help slightly, but I can't just flat out skip some random enocounters because it might create more encounters in the future.  This is almost impossible to tell because it might create more encounters in one area, but lessen in another.  The only way to really find out is to go through the run using all the possible combinations, so I'll just stick to not using the trick unless to 'bump' off one or two encounters.
pierdole zdejmuje kominiare
I'm curious about the menu trick - can you record a video and upload it to youtube or something?
King of hearts
Here ya go

Cool, thanks :]

How are you doin on the run btw? I cant really be bothered to read the 26 pages :x
Strange days, incredible days
Well, the latest update is only four posts up.
secret of mana master.
let me try to understand that trick..... if you go to the menu right before an enemy encounter, it skips the enemy?
King of hearts
Quote:
let me try to understand that trick..... if you go to the menu right before an enemy encounter, it skips the enemy?

Gah!  I've said it many times, it just prolongs the battle from happening.  Am I using the word 'prolong' incorrectly or something?

I get into the encounter immediately if I stop going into the menu, meaning I'd have to constantly go into the menu for the entire area to totally skip the encounter.  It may be different enemies, but it's the encounter I should have had, only later.

Remember, encounters that are not on the world map are not random, so you can test this out yourself.  Just walk in a straight line, not in circles or something because it'll be hard to tell where the encounter will be.  Like in the video, I just started walking through the Fire Cavern like anyone would normally.  Walk through once and see where you got into the encounter, then load your game and walk through again, it'll be in the same spot.
I don't know if this has been answered yet, so I'll ask...

Obviously, at one point, you will use Enc. None, correct? I takes 200 points to obtain that right? Whats the stratagy you implement to get that and maintain your speed (I'm sure there's a bettr way to ask this, but I can't think of it). I ask out of interest. I still paitiently wait for this run just to let you know. I can't wait. i wish you good luck.
King of hearts
Quote:
I don't know if this has been answered yet, so I'll ask...

Obviously, at one point, you will use Enc. None, correct? I takes 200 points to obtain that right? Whats the stratagy you implement to get that and maintain your speed (I'm sure there's a bettr way to ask this, but I can't think of it). I ask out of interest. I still paitiently wait for this run just to let you know. I can't wait.

I basically get in on the way.  Going any amount of battles out of the way to help learn it faster only wastes time.  I first learn Time Mag-RF for Tripples because they're first priority.  I make use of Enc-Half for a good portion of the second disk, and I learn Enc-None after the second BGH251F2(yes, I actually know the name) battle.

Quote:
i wish you good luck.

Wishing won't really help too much, can you just give me some?  Does paypal support transferring luck?
Everything's better with Magitek
Quote:
Wishing won't really help too much, can you just give me some?  Does paypal support transferring luck?

If so, I'd send you some right away!  Maybe this is the kind of thing we should be working on at SDA instead of finding all these glitches and tricks--a way to transfer luck Wink
Amoebe
Quote:
Gah!  I've said it many times, it just prolongs the battle from happening.  Am I using the word 'prolong' incorrectly or something?

Sorry to say, but yes you are. The word you're looking for is postpone. Going to the menu postpones the battle for a very short time.
King of hearts
You could use either, I said prolongs the battle from happening, not just prolongs the battle.
Amoebe
Quote:
You could use either, I said prolongs the battle from happening, not just prolongs the battle.

"To prolong from" isn't a valid syntax. You could say it "prevents the battle from happening" or it "prolongs the time before the next battle". Wink
King of hearts
Quote:
"To prolong from" isn't a valid syntax. You could say it "prevents the battle from happening" or it "prolongs the time before the next battle". Wink

...Whatever mr. smartypants...

*hides in corner to cry*
Just out of curiosity what is the feeling on using a Pocketstation to Level up Boko, sides being impractical due to lack of availability?
Would it be accepted, probably getting its own catergory, or would it even be useful?
King of hearts
Quote:
Just out of curiosity what is the feeling on using a Pocketstation to Level up Boko, sides being impractical due to lack of availability?
Would it be accepted, probably getting its own catergory, or would it even be useful?

It would most likely be a separate category, but I'm not sure since I've only played the American version, so I don't know if the time you spend in the game actually counts toward your game time.  If it does, then I don't see how it would be a separate category since it is just a minigame; but if it doesn't then it would because you can basically get as many items as you want without losing time.

Either way it would be slower because you get it later in the game than getting the 180 Tripples from the Quistis card, and it takes longer to get a chocobo.
Amoebe
Quote:
*hides in corner to cry*

Sorry, dude. But you specifically asked whether it was a correct english statement.  8) Besides, I bow to your knowledge of FF8, one of the best games I've ever played.
King of hearts
Quote:
Sorry, dude. But you specifically asked whether it was a correct english statement.  8) Besides, I bow to your knowledge of FF8, one of the best games I've ever played.

Smiley

Anyway about the Fish Fins...
@#$$ *&$#@ing #$&$#^ with a *#$) &%^& ^$@! *%#*& *&#&^ed #*&&$ing ##$& anal rape #(*$ &*$# *$@*!!!

DIE FISH DIE
:shoot: :rot:

I've gotten 4 4s, countless 3s 2s and 1s, a couple of nothings, and once got a 4 with a card(card mod comes way later)...  I won't give up though.
What are the fish fins for? Weapon modifications?
King of hearts
100 Waters to Junction to Str.
Is it really worth it to do all these battles for 100 waters and ap? If you're doing it, I guess it is, but what's your argument here?
Amoebe
Water is one of the best junctions to strength in the game, and it's available very early on. Junction this baby to Squall's strength, and he'll chop early enemies and bosses much quicker. Especially if you combine that with a disc 1 Lionheart, many bosses will be dead in very short time.

Besides, it only takes 2 lucky battles with Fasticolons. In the run, that will cost a lot less time than it'll save.
secret of mana master.
iirc, you'll get them by defeating them, right.
2 battles give 100 waters? So it's possible to get 5 fins in one battle Shocked I never ever got that during my long grinding on those fishes... Good luck with that!

Right now I'm playing ff9 and I can see how this is enfuriating. Ridiculously low steal chances suck.
Quote:
I made a savestate right at the beginning of a couple of battles with them, but no matter what I did or how long I took to finish the battle, I got the same amount of Fish Fins afterward.

I tested this too, but for me, the amount of fish fins were usually different every time.

The amount of fish fins you will get is not yet decided when the fight begins, it's most likely decided at the moment you kill the fish.