1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Final Fantasy Legend II (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
So, uh.. the game basically just rolled over and died.

Yeah.. not much to add. The runner basically went over and explained everything in the comments.

Accept.

Quote:
No cheating detected.  Video/sound quality is good.  The only graphical quirks I noticed were consequences of the glitches performed.

Total time from first control of the character is 34:26 (1:20 to 35:46).  Total time from the start of the game is 35:43 (0:03 to 35:46).

Menu work and movement on the map are efficient.  A few very minor movement delays in Ki’s body and the underwater volcano, one or two instances of unlucky NPC movement, and some conservative dragon driving in the final area don’t amount to more than a few seconds lost.  It is clear that the runner put a lot of research and effort into manipulation of the RNG to cut time. 

The runner does an excellent job explaining each of the glitches used in the run.  All of the glitches are possible and repeatable. 

Although I don’t completely understand the strategy employed during the poison glitch battle (why is the runner using poison in the first round against the soon slayed 1st goblin?), everything else in the run appears highly optimized and I have no reason to doubt that this battle is an exception.  I’m speculating that the runner delays the battle up front, tolling the RNG, such that the 28 damage hit will occur on the final 31 hp goblin.  A normal 23 damage hit would require at least three rounds of poison damage to kill the goblin. 

Thoughtful planning and outstanding execution make for an easy Accept.

Quote:
Am I the only one getting many graphical glitches as the run goes along? The version of this run that the runner posted on Youtube didn't have this problem. Although, it could just be me.

In any case, the run looks great, no obvious errors or cheating, excellent execution of the poison glitch, not much to say besides that.

Timing question: here are the relevant times for the start and end of the game:

Start pressed: 0:03
First time runner "gains control" of movement after all characters are named: 1:20
Final blow on Arsenal: 35:46

The runner used the "gained control" method to post the time of the run in the game topic, so is the time of run 35:43 (after pressing start) or 34:26 (after control is gained)?

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Ryan 'Poxnor' Vogt!
Thread title:  
Fucking Weeaboo
Way to go Poxnor! Smiley
+2 against silly
Oh wow, this went under the radar! Congrats, Poxnor!
You guys are going to enjoy this one.. Smiley
Arrested for felony abuse of emotes
omg, yay. :3 Nice to see this, Poxnor. ^^ Can't wait to watch. ^^
Kupo!
Congrats Poxnor!! Cheesy
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Thank you very much for taking the time to verify the run, and obviously for the accepts Smiley  I really appreciate all the time you took to watch the run and give your thoughts and comments.

I'll do my best to answer the questions.

Quote:
The only graphical quirks I noticed were consequences of the glitches performed.
The only graphical glitches there should be (that I can call to mind) are the death animation of the final enemy during the poison-glitch battle bugging out, and the dragon sprite bugging out when it flies where it shouldn't.  If, like verifier three, you are getting other kinds of glitches, I may need to re-encode things?  If the SDA people need me to re-encode things, just give me a shout.

Quote:
Total time from first control of the character is 34:26 (1:20 to 35:46).
Yeah, I'll clarify timing (since verifier 3 was uncertain).  Timing begins when I take control of the party outside the school -- using the decision on Mystic Quest (if I recall which game it was correctly?) as a precedent, advancing text and/or naming characters at the beginning of an RPG doesn't count towards a manually-timed RPG.  Timing ends the moment the final damage begins to appear on Arsenal.  I got 34:26 as well.

Quote:
A few very minor movement delays in Ki’s body
Brain-fart, guilty as charged Tongue

Quote:
and the underwater volcano
That was a problem with me getting tripped up by the movement lag as you move through lava.  I was waiting on the screen transition to the next screen, until I realized that it wasn't going to happen because my controller press was just lost.  Admittedly, it shouldn't have tripped me up as badly as it did; but, on the flip side, it's also not as bad as it looks, given how control likes to flake out while you're moving in lava.

Quote:
some conservative dragon driving in the final area
Me piloting something in an FFL game.  Again, really, really guilty as charged, and then some Tongue

Quote:
Although I don’t completely understand the strategy employed during the poison glitch battle (why is the runner using poison in the first round against the soon slayed 1st goblin?)
Whether or not a poisoned enemy (a) takes damage; (b) recovers from poison; or, (c) has no ill effects, at the end of each turn, is seriously random (with a massive bias to "c").

The battle commands I used were the fastest set of inputs I could find that would manipulate all of (a) poison landing on the last enemy; (b) hitting the enemy for enough damage that it will be killed in one poison; (c) having the final enemy soon take poison damage after the hit in "b"; (d) having that turn end on a shield-defend action; and, (e) getting a meat drop after the battle.  Things like the pointless casting of Poison at the beginning of the battle are all about manipulating the PRNG to get all of "a" through "e".

Cheers Smiley
--Poxnor
SDA Speedruns: 1
Congratulations Poxnor. 2 down 1 to go Smiley