List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Segmented any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Audio is good.  Video is good minus the minor hiccups already mentioned in the runners comments.  The run looks good my only minor (perhaps a minute overall) complain is the runners habit of having characters run instead of defend during fights they're not needed.  I understand that this might end up getting them a stat boost, but it seems like it might be something that would save a bit of time over the entire run.  Other than that, great job on the run.  I loved seeing Firion at 1hp for over half of it and the knowledge of what was needed for the run shows.

Verdict: Accept

Quote:
Video and Audio are pretty much okay, except the few screen distortions mentioned by the runner. But not that big of a deal since it doesnt affect anything Wink
The run was pretty good, no cheating or sth like this in it. The route and patterns are well planned. He put very much effort in finding the right patterns at the stages and avoided a lot of encounters. Sadly he forgot the banish, which would made it look even more awesome in certain stages =). But its still overall a very impressive run.
The time i stopped from the beginning of the last segment until they walk out of the room and the ending starts is 02m:41s which results in a complete final time of: 02h:27m:41s    But better someone double check that again =)
My verdict is to accept the run.

Quote:
Audio and video is OK with a few minor dependencies that the runner mentioned in his notes.
Verified no cheating.

Segment 16 - It seems to me that you could have saved time by renting the airship to Salamand when you learn Sunfire from Cid (@1:25) so you don't have to reenter Poft (@3:43) a 2nd time during this segment.
Segment 24 - Chocobo music is awesome and this is the only part in the run we hear it, so yay for this segment!
Segment 50 - Yeah Banish would have been a great addition.
Segment 59 - It is unfortunate the Mezzo Malboro and the Basilisk hit you and you lose about three seconds here. (Mindu says, "KAMEHAMEHAA!")
Segment 61 - Why did you choose to take damage here after getting the defender? It doesn't lose you any time to walk around it (unless you don't get encounters on those damage tiles) but it looks odd to do that.
Segment 71 - At the very beginning of this segment, you could have taken the secret passage through the wall to save some steps and possible encounters. (four tiles down from you start this segment you can walk in there) Maps of this passage can be found (same in all versions of the game):
http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/FinalFantasyII%28J%29-Pandemonium.png and
http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/GBA/FinalFantasyI&II-DawnOfSouls-FinalFantasyII-CastlePandemonium.png

Timing notes:
Game saves the in-game seconds on the timer (verfied in early segments). I think the time it takes to save whether to a file or to a memo-file are also added to the in-game timer. (verified by Caracarn here:
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/wanting_to_do_a_ffii_speedrunorigins_not_iv_244.html )
Do we want to add 73 * .05 = 36.5 secs to the time for saving per the normal rules for segmented runs or just take the extra time (which is more) that the in-game timer puts on the time? If we add the 36.5 seconds, we may want to manually time the run from a fade to black after a load to the next save.
I agree with my fellow verifier that the timing in the last segment to the last text box before the credits is 02:41. However, since seconds are saved in the in-game timer, we may want to round up from 2h:27m:41s to 2h:28m
All of this only if we don't want to time until the next save after the credits where the runner has made his suggestion of 2:32 as the time for the run as reported by the in game timer.

The runner did very well and the minor changes I suggest and the Banish scroll the runner is aware of would only save a very short amount of time on a nearly perfect run using the best route known currently.
My verdict is to Accept the run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a good first run

Congratulations to Tristan 'Caracarn' Helwig!
Thread title:  
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
With this acceptance, we are but one Final fantasy games away from having the whole collection completed! (not counting 12 or 13)

Someone get to submitting Final Fantasy 8!
There's already one in submission.

I'm looking forward to watching this too. =D
Edit history:
Caracarn: 2011-08-08 09:58:59 pm
Thank you all who verified the run Smiley

1st verifier:  There is no Defend option in the PS version, so I flee instead of attacking since it's slightly faster.

2nd verifier: Indeed, I am still annoyed with myself for forgetting about Banish.

3rd verifier: Good point about paying for the airship in advance; I did it for the boat, but I wasn't even thinking about doing it for the airship there. The change in steps may have negatively affected future encounters though, but it's hard to say for sure without testing it.

Those things hitting me was really stupid, but the Thunder Gigas fight was the fastest I was ever able to get in this run, so I had to take it.

You don't get encounters on those tiles, so that's why I walked over them, and Firion/Maria/Gus would get one shotted anyway :p

I could have sworn I checked for a secret passage there, but I guess I missed it, D'oh.

About the timing: I asked Mike a while ago about what time to use, and he said to use the time at the final save. However the current administration wants to time it is fine by me though; I just hope I don't need to re-encode all the videos to change the time on the StatID. Since the saving process is counted on the in-game timer, I don't think the save penalty would apply here.
SS Any% FF2 GBA
Congratulations!