Smiley
Sad
<- 1234567
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames

A decent but not great speed run of FEZ in 31:13.1, using a new route that I have been working on for the past month or so. Thanks for motivating me Gyoo when you uploaded a 31:25 a few days ago.
notable mistakes are at:
11:15 when I had to reset the first puzzle room
18:30 when I missed grabbing the edge while behind the level (you should be able to use the vines to jump up, you are behind the level to setup for the invisible platforms)
21:50 when I rotated the wrong way to get to the second time spinner (it should only be need to be turned twice, but I was facing the wrong direction)
24:12 when I missed the the jump to the lighthouse (you jump after the edge, and grab the last block of vines on the edge by the lighthouse door, saves .5 seconds when there are no black holes in the way).
These mistakes total over 20 seconds, showing that sub 31 is possible on current version.
The cake is a lie
New route ? Interesting, I'll watch your video then ! And congrats Wink

Anyway, having some competition will help me to keep playing Fez too, because feeling alone wasn't really helpful to try and get a good time on 1.11 ^^
It's more about optimizing turns and movement than an actual route, though I do do the lighthouse near the end, and get the last bit instead of one of the bits in the home village.
Edit history:
Gyoo: 2014-12-24 02:42:54 am
Gyoo: 2014-12-24 02:41:43 am
The cake is a lie
After seeing your video, your optimizations are quite clever, everytime someone finds stuff like that I feel dumb because it looks quite obvious but we never thought about doing that before.

Quote from bluecheetah:
These mistakes total over 20 seconds, showing that sub 31 is possible on current version.

It's not 20 seconds, it's more like 30~35 because you missed the early cycle at the end of Sync. You had it, then jump left instead of right, and had to wait for the next cycle. The difference between these 2 cycles (up until the end of the place) is between 10 and 15 seconds.

You have 2 days to improve that, I don't think I will stream during christmas Tongue Then, it's war Wink

PS : I am not convinced that moving the Lighthouse anywhere during the run would be an improvement, since you have to go back and forth to reach the Lighthouse door anyway.
Quote from Gyoo:
It's not 20 seconds, it's more like 30~35 because you missed the early cycle at the end of Sync. You had it, then jump left instead of right, and had to wait for the next cycle. The difference between these 2 cycles (up until the end of the place) is between 10 and 15 seconds.

The quick cycle has to wait longer in the second room than the slow cycle, I thought that they canceled each other out and were equivalent, but I am sure that the quick cycle can't be more than a second or two faster. Either way, I normally go for the quick cycle, but panicked and jumped the wrong way.

Quote from Gyoo:
PS : I am not convinced that moving the Lighthouse anywhere during the run would be an improvement, since you have to go back and forth to reach the Lighthouse door anyway.

That is the reason why it has the potential to save more time, since there is more to worry about than just the direction you come through the warp gate in. The time gain is traveling from the warp gate to the towers room instead of the hub room, and traveling from the lighthouse to the hub room instead of the towers room.
The cake is a lie
Quote from bluecheetah:
Quote from Gyoo:

The quick cycle has to wait longer in the second room than the slow cycle, I thought that they canceled each other out and were equivalent, but I am sure that the quick cycle can't be more than a second or two faster. 

As I said, it's more like 10-15 seconds. And apparently there's an even earlier cycle that might be possible with extra yolo strats as you can see here : http://www.twitch.tv/gyoo_/c/5752885?t=7m29s
After the fork code I was really close to reach the platform that disappeared under my feet. After this there should be a way to save cycles here and there. I'll work on that I guess.

(Oh yeah, also this video is the new WR in 30:57 Tongue )

Quote:
Quote from Gyoo:

That is the reason why it has the potential to save more time, since there is more to worry about than just the direction you come through the warp gate in. The time gain is traveling from the warp gate to the towers room instead of the hub room, and traveling from the lighthouse to the hub room instead of the towers room.

Well maybe I'll consider that in my future route changes, I still need to implement a bunch of stuff.
The cake is a lie
Quote from Gyoo:
As I said, it's more like 10-15 seconds. And apparently there's an even earlier cycle that might be possible with extra yolo strats as you can see here : http://www.twitch.tv/gyoo_/c/5752885?t=7m29s
After the fork code I was really close to reach the platform that disappeared under my feet. After this there should be a way to save cycles here and there. I'll work on that I guess.

Turns out it's the same
Edit history:
Gyoo: 2014-12-31 05:15:49 am
The cake is a lie
Improved WR for 1.11 (30:42) :
http://www.twitch.tv/gyoo_/c/5784247

Still 10 to 20 seconds to save, so more grinding incoming.
Also, I will get back to 1.07 afterwards, there's definitely some time to save there as well.
The cake is a lie
30:27 on 1.11

My sum of best is going interestingly low, and I still have stuff to implement.
The cake is a lie
Finally implemented all the latest strats, and that's 29:45 on 1.11 !
http://www.twitch.tv/gyoo_/c/5802715

Now going back to 1.07, I should be able to get around 28:15 on it. I will take profit of this to record a local run for SDA, let's get things good this time.
Wow! I always hoped that 1.11 would get below 30 min, but I never actually thought it would happen. Perhaps because I don't have quite the right mindset for grinding and so will probably never get a sub 30 myself. I might work on an all collectibles run.
I was wondering if you know how I could get a hold of 1.07 as I didn't start speed running until after 1.11. If so, it would make an all collectibles much more fun.
Edit history:
Gyoo: 2015-01-03 04:03:07 pm
The cake is a lie
Having someone working on 209.4% may help me to get into it aswell Smiley

You can find on this thread one urn made by Cracrayol, and a written route by WonderJ13. Dunno if these are the same or not, but that's a decent base I think.

I have already seen cracrayol's run, and there's a lot of optimizations possible here and there. I think his global route is correct though. I thought about moving areas but I couldn't get something better. The main thing is that I wanted to avoid backtracking the most, but there is some backtracking you are forced to do if you want to visit all the places (Goddamn Love Temple that you can open only after getting all the 64 cubes)

Also you should keep giving any% a go. Even if it's not to go for WR, it's a way to "attract" newcomers and it keeps you in the mood ^^ At least that's my opinion Tongue
The cake is a lie
https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/queue/verificationoffer/413/

My new submission for SDA needs verifiers Smiley
Wake up and be awesome
I signed up, if it means anything
The cake is a lie
Alright, I think the time is right to talk about the new use I found for the door glitch :
Just to remind you, door glitch is when you jump right before entering a door, Gomez will continue going up over the door as he enters the door, and the transition cutscene is replaced with a loading screen (which is ~4 seconds faster). It works only on 1.07 though.

So, so far we only used it after leaving the lighthouse room, because the door was already open. And usually, if you open a door and do nothing, Gomez will automatically enter the freshly opened door. But if you press left or right during the opening animation, Gomez will just open the door and go away. Since the door is now open, the Door Glitch is now possible.
I counted all the door affected, it's not not 1 but 12 doors where you can do this trick (everytime you have a transition cutscene to the room in the background), and every door glitch saves around 3 to 4 seconds (depending on the execution). So overall, you can save up to 30 seconds at least.

I already made a run using these new strats and managed to cut the 29 minutes :
http://www.twitch.tv/gyoo_/c/5893100

I think 28:30 is reasonably reachable if I get a better consistency on that door glitch Smiley
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2015-01-21 03:45:01 am
So after running this game for about a week, I've managed to accidentally trigger a wrong warp: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/5929819

All I know so far is that this results from pressing LT/RT (perspective shift) and up to enter a door at the same time (probably the same frame, but I can't be sure of that). If you do this after having teleported back from the end of the bell tower section, you will wrong warp directly to the section you just came from. If you try it after having returned to the main room from a normal door transition, it leaves you in the same position and the perspective shift takes effect, but it thinks you're still on the old perspective, and your movement becomes really glitchy.

I'm going to play with this a lot more to see whether it can be useful, but for now it just seems like a curiosity.

(edit) All this was discovered on version 1.11, by the way.
I have been looking around for about an hour now, but I honestly cannot find patch 1.07 anywhere. I've looked through a bunch of different threads on a bunch of different sites, but I can't seem to find anything. I was hoping someone here could help me out. I finally finished FEZ, as in 209.4% yesterday, and am really interested in speedrunning the 209.4% category, but right off the bat I can't do long jumps. I have no problems with routing a current 209.4% route, but at the same time it doesn't seem like anyone is actually interested in such a category. Regardless, I will make a route of that if no one here can help me out, and I'll post my progress here.

Thanks for the help in advance!