Kim has been invited to our thread.
Edit history:
Greenalink: 2014-06-23 05:03:51 pm
Greenalink: 2014-06-23 05:03:37 pm
Greenalink: 2014-06-23 05:03:17 pm
Greenalink: 2014-06-23 05:03:16 pm
Greenalink: 2014-06-23 05:02:18 pm
DS Dictator
UK people planning to go to Sweden on Saturday 26th July and possibly leaving Sunday 3rd August.

Here is my possible travel plan.

Going to Sweden
Leaving Saturday Afternoon  UK 1:30pm -> Sweden timezone 4:45pm (Journey is 2h 25m) (Flight Code: BA780)

The train from Arlanda C goes ~ 35 minutes after landing which is 5:20pm Sad Maybe too soon, I have no idea how long it takes to go from airport to train station in Sweden.
20 Minutes in the first train, we have to change (17:20 Arlanda Norra - 17:40 Stockholm C station), the train that goes to Skövde C arrives at 18:14 (30 minute wait) and then we arrive to Skövde at 20:14

Going back to England

Getting a train is not going to be as bad because it's very near to the marathon station. Depending on when you want to return to England I got 2 different times.

Time A:
Sweden 3:40pm -> England timezone 5:20pm
Use 11:39 -> 14:40 train (see image)

Time B:
Sweden 6:10pm -> England timezone 7:50pm
Use 13:38 -> 16:40 train (see image)

Remember, don't forget to change train once you've reach Stockholm.

DS Dictator
Can't add new attachments when editing so here's another post.
So there is a flight from a different airline, still in Heathrow. It's slightly earlier than the 1:20pm flight but the times for the trains are better, it gives us a bit of a window of error. You'll see 3 different sets because the times when going back to England varies, I may go for the last one so you have enough time to say farewell to everyone on the final main marathon day.

Attachment:
Can someone who knows more let us know if the masshousing is opened already the 25th?
If not I would be forced to sleep on a bench with all my luggage and I don't think that's something I would like to do.
Quote from Greenalink:
UK people planning to go to Sweden on Saturday 26th July and possibly leaving Sunday 3rd August.

Going to Sweden
Leaving Saturday Afternoon  UK 1:30pm -> Sweden timezone 4:45pm (Journey is 2h 25m) (Flight Code: BA780)

The train from Arlanda C goes ~ 35 minutes after landing which is 5:20pm Sad Maybe too soon, I have no idea how long it takes to go from airport to train station in Sweden.
20 Minutes in the first train, we have to change (17:20 Arlanda Norra - 17:40 Stockholm C station), the train that goes to Skövde C arrives at 18:14 (30 minute wait) and then we arrive to Skövde at 20:14

Going back to England

Getting a train is not going to be as bad because it's very near to the marathon station. Depending on when you want to return to England I got 2 different times.

Time A:

Time B:

Your connections are extremely tight there.  Inbound it is very unlikely that you'll make that train, especially if you have luggage, it would be better to book a later train from Stockholm to Skövde, and catch a Flygbussarna bus from outside Terminal 5 to the Stockholm C.

As for the return, you want to aim to arrive at the airport about 2.5-3hours before the flight.  SJ are accommodating to try to get you to the airport on time if there are problems, but the train is the fastest mode of transport, so if they need to offload you onto a bus or into a taxi, you are unlikely to make your flight home.  (You might say that would be rare, but it has happened to me once when I aimed to get there 3 hours before the flight departure, and there was a signal failure, after 1 hour of waiting around in Enkoping for SJ to sort out taxis the problem was fixed, so we got put back on the train, they paid for Arlanda Express tickets for everyone once we got to stockholm, and in the end I arrived at the airport 40 minutes, just in time for the bag drop to close, and make it through the termial to board the plane).

Plus, it's summer, there will be queues for checkin/bagdrop, security and passport control. 

Arlanda has free wifi as well for up to 3hrs/100Mb, and has plenty of places where you can plug in a laptop or phone, so even if you arrive 3 hours before your flight you shouldn't be bored.

Leave the speedrunning for the games, not the travel plans Wink
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from BenInSweden:
Quote from Greenalink:

Going to Sweden

Going back to England

Time A:

Time B:

Your connections are extremely tight there.  Inbound it is very unlikely that you'll make that train, especially if you have luggage, it would be better to book a later train from Stockholm to Skövde, and catch a Flygbussarna bus from outside Terminal 5 to the Stockholm C.

I agree. Remember you need to go through passport control and luggage reclaim. If you're the last people to check in so that your luggage is the first to get off the plane, you might maybe make that train running all the way. Don't bet on it.

Quote from BenInSweden:
As for the return, you want to aim to arrive at the airport about 2.5-3hours before the flight.  SJ are accommodating to try to get you to the airport on time if there are problems, but the train is the fastest mode of transport, so if they need to offload you onto a bus or into a taxi, you are unlikely to make your flight home.  (You might say that would be rare, but it has happened to me once when I aimed to get there 3 hours before the flight departure, and there was a signal failure, after 1 hour of waiting around in Enkoping for SJ to sort out taxis the problem was fixed, so we got put back on the train, they paid for Arlanda Express tickets for everyone once we got to stockholm, and in the end I arrived at the airport 40 minutes, just in time for the bag drop to close, and make it through the termial to board the plane).

Plus, it's summer, there will be queues for checkin/bagdrop, security and passport control. 

Arlanda has free wifi as well for up to 3hrs/100Mb, and has plenty of places where you can plug in a laptop or phone, so even if you arrive 3 hours before your flight you shouldn't be bored.

Leave the speedrunning for the games, not the travel plans Wink

I severely disagree here. Swedish trains are well known to be on time. Planning to arrive 2 h before take-off will be enough. Yes, there'll be queues but nothing the airlines won't be expecting or won't be able to take care of. If it wasn't the UK (with the additional need for a passport control) I would even say 1.5 h is well enough, but having safe 2 h for the UK is good.
It's just way too unlikely to run into signal failures and such Wink
Quote from Alko:
I severely disagree here. Swedish trains are well known to be on time. Planning to arrive 2 h before take-off will be enough. Yes, there'll be queues but nothing the airlines won't be expecting or won't be able to take care of. If it wasn't the UK (with the additional need for a passport control) I would even say 1.5 h is well enough, but having safe 2 h for the UK is good.
It's just way too unlikely to run into signal failures and such Wink

Disagreeing is fine, however I do travel on the train from Orebro to Arlanda fairly frequently so have a fair amount of experience with SJ.  Minor delays occur quite frequently, major delays have happened a few too many times on airport runs over the past 8 years for me to know better than to risk it anymore.

I certainly would rather wait at the airport for an extra hour than want to risk having to pay for another flight (and potentially an overnight stay at Arlanda).  But others' mileage may vary. Smiley
SJ is the worst when it comes about arriving in time.. very rarely it's not delayed for some stupid reason.
I'm calling you spoilt. Also, I've yet to have a major delay with SJ. Try taking a train through Denmark to Germany; that's delay hell Wink
Precursor
Quote from Alko:
Swedish trains are well known to be on time.

Yeah this is pretty much the opposite of the truth.
DS Dictator
Quote:
catch a Flygbussarna bus from outside Terminal 5 to the Stockholm C

By using this website: http://www.swebus.se/
Would Stockholm Arlanda T5 to STOCKHOLM Cityterminalen work?

If not please tell me asap and post suggestions.
I'll be on IRC with Paradox Karl later tonight making payments to all of the required tickets & any of you are welcome to join and point out advice, etc.
Check http://sl.se/en/ instead of Swebus
Quote from Greenalink:
Quote:
catch a Flygbussarna bus from outside Terminal 5 to the Stockholm C

By using this website: http://www.swebus.se/
Would Stockholm Arlanda T5 to STOCKHOLM Cityterminalen work?

If not please tell me asap and post suggestions.
I'll be on IRC with Paradox Karl later tonight making payments to all of the required tickets & any of you are welcome to join and point out advice, etc.

Swebus just resell flygbussarna for arlanda to stockholm central. http://www.flygbussarna.se/ is where you can buy them from, or there is a few machines around Terminal 5 where you can buy the tickets with the card.

You can try sl.se as Edenal suggested, I've never been able to work out their pricing structure though, but they might work out cheaper. Need to buy x amount of coupons for the journey and coupons cost differently depending on how you purchase them.  Maybe I'm just being stupid though.
How long is the walk to the arlanda express train from where you would get off the train from Skovde?

Also, you guys should really consider getting some form of travel insurance. If say for example, the train breaks down midway between Skovde and stockholm on the way back and you miss your flight because of this, you would be reimbursed in the costs of a new flight Cheesy
Quote from tdawg:
How long is the walk to the arlanda express train from where you would get off the train from Skovde?

I ran with luggage last time I did it, and it took me about 5 minutes.  The Arlanda Express leaves every 15 minutes, so if you're not in a rush for your flight you can catch the next one.

Just a note though the Arlanda Express (aside from a taxi of course) is the most expensive journey to the airport, at 260SEK alone (about £23/€28), the flygbussarna bus is 105SEK (£9/€11), so worth checking if it is cheaper to buy the ticket for the train and bus separately.
DS Dictator
Already booked our tickets. The route is going to be like this:
In Sweden Arlanda Airport -> Flygbussarna Bus -> Stockholm C -> Train -> Skovde

May RNGesus mother nature not screw up the train delays. In fact, for the journey back, we got a pretty early one to reduce the risk if delays do happen.

Quote from tdawg:
Also, you guys should really consider getting some form of travel insurance. If say for example, the train breaks down midway between Skovde and stockholm on the way back and you miss your flight because of this, you would be reimbursed in the costs of a new flight Cheesy

Imho, those 'insurances' are just people making big bucks out of other people who are easily scared Wink Usually not required.
On a different note: If the train does indeed have a delay, which causes you to reach your final destination 60 mins or more late, you are entitled to a refund of 25 %. If 120 mins or more, 50 %. Don't miss them in the unlikely case a train actually breaks down that badly Wink
Quote from Alko:
Quote from tdawg:

Imho, those 'insurances' are just people making big bucks out of other people who are easily scared Wink Usually not required.
On a different note: If the train does indeed have a delay, which causes you to reach your final destination 60 mins or more late, you are entitled to a refund of 25 %. If 120 mins or more, 50 %. Don't miss them in the unlikely case a train actually breaks down that badly Wink

The refund for most people here will be pointless as it only covers the SJ portion of the ticket (not Arlanda Express or SL if bought as part of the SJ Ticket), with Arlanda Express tickets making up about 260SEK of the ticket price on a 600SEK train ticket you're looking at getting back at most 170SEK, to add insult to injury, it's credit, so you can only use it for another SJ journey.  Again, rather pointless for folk on here.

As I've said previously though, if you've left enough time to get to the airport, SJ will try to find a way of getting you to the airport on time when there are issues without costing you anything (i.e. last time it happened to me they paid for about 10 people to catch the Arlanda Express).
Quote from BenInSweden:
to add insult to injury, it's credit, so you can only use it for another SJ journey.  Again, rather pointless for folk on here.

European legislation clearly states (article 17, number 2): 'The compensation shall be paid in money at the request of the passenger'.
Quote from curseddolls:
Can someone who knows more let us know if the masshousing is opened already the 25th?
If not I would be forced to sleep on a bench with all my luggage and I don't think that's something I would like to do.

Quote from Edenal:
Quote from Alko:
Quote from TinglesPalace:
I'm still waiting to hear more about the mass-housing..

In a nutshell: Mass housing's happening. It is to be assumed that it's open from the 25th onwards, but I'm still waiting on 100 % definite confirmation for that one. Price is known. Any more info needed? Wink

I spoke to Crippe yesterday, and he said he believed it was booked from the 25th and onwards Smiley

So there we are; confirmed ^^
Quote from Alko:
Quote from BenInSweden:
to add insult to injury, it's credit, so you can only use it for another SJ journey.  Again, rather pointless for folk on here.

European legislation clearly states (article 17, number 2): 'The compensation shall be paid in money at the request of the passenger'.

Which you have to write and apply for unfortunately, and doesn't stipulate currency, so it's likely that they'll do an international transfer, which your bank will probably take a chunk out of.  Either way, 50% of a rail fare refund won't cover much of a last minute flight booking.  The only way to make the refund useful is if you plan to get to the airport at least 2 hours before, and the train delays you by over an hour into Stockholm C.

Moral of the story: leave enough time to get to the airport so it doesn't end up costing you money. 
If you want to play "can I make it" roulette, then the "Stockholm" airport of choice would be Västerås, I once got there very late (due to a major road closure, which meant we got lost, so a ~45min journey took over 2hrs) when the inbound flight had just landed, and was still able to check in etc.  Doing that at Arlanda is nigh on impossible.

To be honest for UK folk, if they can put up with Ryanair, Stansted -> Västerås would be easier and less hectic than Arlanda, bus stop outside the terminal (to the right), that takes you to Västerås Central station, and then hop on a direct train to Skövde (platform 5 if I recall correctly).  Also cuts out about 1.5hrs of the public transport journey from Arlanda.
Quote from BenInSweden:
Quote from Alko:
Quote from BenInSweden:

Which you have to write and apply for unfortunately, and doesn't stipulate currency, so it's likely that they'll do an international transfer, which your bank will probably take a chunk out of. Either way, 50% of a rail fare refund won't cover much of a last minute flight booking.  The only way to make the refund useful is if you plan to get to the airport at least 2 hours before, and the train delays you by over an hour into Stockholm C.

To quote the same document (article 17, number 3): 'The compensation of the ticket price shall not be reduced by financial transaction costs such as fees, telephone costs or stamps.'
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2014-06-26 02:33:17 pm
KennyMan666: 2014-06-26 02:27:07 pm
Precursor
Okay, yeah, decision made. I'll be arriving on Saturday, July 26th. Apologies to the schedule people because this means I will actually be there when my first run had been scheduled on the first draft, but when I said I wouldn't I had different plans, plans that were subject to change because of thing from like two-three weeks ago and I didn't actually make my final decision of what to do until, well, a few hours ago.

So here's my new travel plans, fairly similar to old travel plans: (and this basically resets my plans so any spots formerly claimed are now open again)

Car of large size driving from Gothenburg at July 26th, probably trying to leave at 13-14. Total of four seats available, for people who aren't me. Possible for me to do airport pickup (that is, Landvetter airport), which I would need to know about well in advance so I can plan around that. Of course, it would be pickup at airport and then directly to Skövde. No airport pickup any later than 15:00, I'd say (though whenever I say a time, I always run late). This year I'll impose the luggage limit for anyone who travels with me and isn't actually me to basically be not a lot more than you'd actually be able to bring with you yourself if you were taking the train. A little above is okay, but I really would prefer nothing really excessive. This might be able to be discussed if we end up not filling seats - last year we were only three people total in the car in both directions, I'd love to fill more of those seats this time. But given my return trip plans, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to transport everything you want to bring back. Remember that.

So about that, my return trip from Skövde is not decided and seats for that are also not going to be claimable in advance - I'm completely open for driving people back to the airport on the way home. I have no specific time or day I need to be back, so if there's people who need rides I'll work with that. At the earliest I'll leave the day after the official stream ends.

So that's that.

Also, I will make no guarantees whatsoever about actually noticing you want to travel with me if you try to tell me by simply posting in this thread. Sending me a PM will be nearly mandatory.
KennyMan: Attemted to update accordingly Wink
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2014-06-26 02:26:19 pm
Precursor
Just two things: Make sure to note that the airport in question is Landvetter and nothing else, and it's only for the way to Skövde I need to know at least a week or so in advance if there's anyone who wants me to come pick them up there. Going back from Skövde it can basically be decided the same day I leave, as happened with flicky last year.