--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from Alko:
Quote from BenInSweden:
Quote from Alko:
Quote from BenInSweden:
to add insult to injury, it's credit, so you can only use it for another SJ journey.  Again, rather pointless for folk on here.

European legislation clearly states (article 17, number 2): 'The compensation shall be paid in money at the request of the passenger'.

Which you have to write and apply for unfortunately, and doesn't stipulate currency, so it's likely that they'll do an international transfer, which your bank will probably take a chunk out of. Either way, 50% of a rail fare refund won't cover much of a last minute flight booking.  The only way to make the refund useful is if you plan to get to the airport at least 2 hours before, and the train delays you by over an hour into Stockholm C.

To quote the same document (article 17, number 3): 'The compensation of the ticket price shall not be reduced by financial transaction costs such as fees, telephone costs or stamps.'

That's on the supplier's end to restrict being able to take an admin fee, etc. out of the refund, they have no control over fees and commission that your bank charge you for accepting an international bank transaction.

e.g. SJ sends you 200SEK, your bank receives 200SEK, and converts it to say €21, and then your bank takes €5 for converting the money, you only get €16 (~147SEK), so bye bye 25+% of your refund.  If they sent you the money in €, then the transaction is at the mercy of SJ's bank's exchange rate, and is then at risk of people saying they were not refunded the correct amount.  I believe the only way they can refund you without being tripped up by that rule is just sending you the amount in SEK.  It would be the same if they sent you 200SEK in the post (which would be unlikely), they cannot control the fees or commission of the Foreign Exchange you use to convert it to €.
Edit history:
Alko: 2014-06-26 03:58:48 pm
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
I've never heard of crap like your bank charging you for receiving a payment. That might happen in Zimbabwe as far as I'm concerned; not in a central European country.

I can understand you being concerned because Swedish railways not being as punctual as Japanese ones, but the way this discussion is going, I feel you're just pulling wannabe arguments out of your backside just to discredit me who happens to have a different perception of Swedish railways' punctuality.
Quote from Alko:
I've never heard of crap like your bank charging you for receiving a payment. That might happen in Zimbabwe as far as I'm concerned; not in a central European country.

I can understand you being concerned because Swedish railways not being as punctual as Japanese ones, but the way this discussion is going, I feel you're just pulling wannabe arguments out of your backside just to discredit me who happens to have a different perception of Swedish railways' punctuality.

Just because you haven't heard of it does not mean it's not true, it applies to pretty much every single UK bank:
http://www.halifax.co.uk/onlinebankinghelp/international-payments/?srnum=1 Click receiving payments
http://www.lloydsbank.com/online-banking/benefits-online-banking/international-payments.asp?srnum=1 as above
http://ask.barclays.co.uk/help/travel_international/internat_transfer :
Quote:
As there are charges for international payments to the UK, you'll need to agree with the sender who is going to pay them.

http://personal.natwest.com/personal/travel-international/international-payments/receiving-money-fromabroad/bank-to-bank-electroniclinks0.html
Quote:
Payments up to £100 or currency equivalent are charged at £1. Payments for over £100 or currency equivalent are charged at £7 each. These charges do not apply where another bank receives sterling from overseas and passes the funds to our customer via the UK clearing system; in that case the receiving banks will levy its own charges.

I can understand that all countries that have the euro do not have this issue for the most part as the currency is the same, but coming from and living in countries that don't use the Euro (UK and Sweden), I just happen to know what happens when sending and receiving money from abroad because I've had to do it quite a lot! And I happen to know what it feels like to miss or nearly miss flights due to circumstances outside of my control.

Sorry if you felt like I was trying to discredit you, it was not my intention. Your refund remark seemed to (at the time) come across as some kind of justification that it's ok to miss a flight due to problems with the trains (looking back I can see now that I could have taken it out of context of your original intent, reason being is I'm pretty sure anyone on here who gets delayed significantly on the train, but still catches their flight would not be bothered about claiming for a refund on the train journey).

I am entirely flabbergasted at the information you provided. I had reason to believe there being no applicable fees for transfers within Europe, as I (thought I) knew that there are none between Germany and Sweden. Turns out, Sweden signed some paper somewhere making SEK equivalent to the Euro and thereby creating a special case within the non-Euro currencies of the SEPA. I've read a few more European legislative papers as well as the terms of the banks you showed me more closely, and now I wonder if there are applicable fees if you're receiving money in pound sterling in the UK from an overseas European account. Technically that should cost the same as receiving pound sterling from inside the UK. If that's the case, I'm going to interpret the passenger rights legislation to mean that SJ would have to transfer pounds they exchanged beforehand, so that they again have to pay any applicable fees; though I'm a lot less certain about this statement now than I was about any statement before.

I never meant to imply that the refund you can get for delayed trains could in any way pay for or justify the missed plane. I wanted to point it out because many people don't know of the option at all, and, as they say over here 'to have or not to have' Wink In fact, I believe everyone should always go for this kind of refund, just so there's more motivation for railway companies to improve their punctuality. Also spoiler.
I kind of get what you mean. Going to C4L last year, I flew from Frankfurt via London and Vancouver to Edmonton. It was a beautifully cold winter morning when I left, and my high-speed train stood at the side of the track for about an hour, apparantly because of a frozen switch. I had debated with myself whether to book a train that gave me 1:45 h of time in Frankfurt Airport, or one which gave me 2:45 h; I chose the former because of city bus connections here in Brunswick. They handed out the forms on the train, because the train was already an hour late. We caught up some 15 min by Frankfurt.
It got worse when I arrived in Frankfurt central because something was wrong with the suburban trains (I heard later that there were none for 45 mins on the airport line) and no-one bothered to inform the passengers by any of their many means at all. (Read: no notice on the screens, no announcements, nothing.) I had already given up on the plane, and texted my father about it, who checked the website and found out that all Frankfurt flights were massively delayed due to winter weather. I was lucky and still made it well on-time.
Looking back I would still take the same train, because so many trains have still been reasonably on-time that I feel that's an exceptionally bad case.

I also wish to take back my last post.
Quote:
and now I wonder if there are applicable fees if you're receiving money in pound sterling in the UK from an overseas European account

General consensus is if you receive the money in sterling then you won't be charged (I've had it done a couple of times - Icelandic savings accounts and all that - before they went to hell of course).

Quote:
If that's the case, I'm going to interpret the passenger rights legislation to mean that SJ would have to transfer pounds they exchanged beforehand, so that they again have to pay any applicable fees; though I'm a lot less certain about this statement now than I was about any statement before.

The problem with this is exchange rate fluctuation, i.e. the exchange rate when I paid for the ticket on my UK card, would likely be different to when they send the refund, and SJ would run the risk of short-changing me if they use the current rate of exchange (without taking into account the banks' wildly varying exchange rates) to do the refund.  I believe the only way they can get around that without falling foul of the legislation is to request proof from me of how much I paid in Sterling, and then base the refund off that amount.
I would imagine the amount of UK folk requesting refunds is rather low, but who knows SJ might have something in place to deal with that.
Quote:
I never meant to imply that the refund you can get for delayed trains could in any way pay for or justify the missed plane.

Yup, I realised that when reading back over it, it was mainly due to it being included in your reply about not opting for travel insurance. Smiley

Quote:
I also wish to take back my last post.

That's fine here, no hard feelings and all that jazz Smiley
Precursor
Just a minor update to my travel, I could also drive GBG-Skövde on the 25th since that's when it kinda begins. This might depend on when people who want to get a ride there wants to arrive.
So this will be my way of getting to Skövde when I get to Oslo S. Getting to Oslo S will also be by train from Åndalsnes.

Edit history:
Alko: 2014-07-01 04:05:29 pm
Quote from curseddolls:
SJ is the worst when it comes about arriving in time.. very rarely it's not delayed for some stupid reason.

Quote from KennyMan666:
Quote from Alko:
Swedish trains are well known to be on time.

Yeah this is pretty much the opposite of the truth.

Now I've finally gotten around to digging up numbers in the depths of statistics, kindly provided by the European commission:

Punctuality of high-speed and long-distance trains ('punctual' being defined as less than 15 mins late) for selected countries:
Finland 95.4 %, Denmark 93.5 % (this honestly surprises me), Italy 93.1 %, Sweden 92.3 %, UK 91.7 %, France 91.0 %, Belgium 85.7 %, Netherlands 81.4 %, Poland 80.9 %, Germany 78.3 % ('punctual' being defined as less than 6 mins late) and Lithuania 74.8 %. Sweden is well above the European average, has the 6th most punctual high-speed network in Europe.

Punctuality of local and regional trains (excluding suburban services; data available only for 22 countries; 'punctual' being defined as less than 5 mins late):
Lithuania 99 %, Austria 97 %, Finland 97 %, Denmark 96 %, Germany 94 % (data available only for 22 countries; 'punctual' being less than 6 mins late), Netherlands 92 %, France 92 %, UK 92 %, Sweden 90 %, Italy 89 %, Belgium 88 %. Sweden is below average here, being the 5th least punctual regional network in Europe; however, Swedish regional services are still more punctual on average than high-speed services in more than half of the EU member states. Also, unpunctual is everything from five minutes late onwards. If a regional connecting train waits ten minutes for a ten-minute delayed (i.e. punctual) long-distance train, it's counted as unpunctual while the long-distance one isn't. (Finally, I wish I had both mean average delays and standard deviations, but they aren't presented in the documents.)

Concerning customer dissatisfaction with the railway's punctuality, it is highest in France (47 %), followed by German (42 %), and Italy (38 %). Both EU-average and the value for Sweden is 31 %. So yeah, made my point.

Kenny: Updating second post accordingly atm.
Yeah that's what I meant.. the regional trains in sweden are the ones that are crappy when it comes to punctuality.
You should never go by the city only trains. They are much better then the ones out in the country.
I love speedruns!
Is anyone from Karlstad? I might take a spot otherwise :).
Lolz at the fact that Finland is extremely high on both those lists and people STILL complain about the trains in here Smiley It's just one of those "commonly accepted" themes of discussion like the "bad weather" (read not 20 degrees warm on a sunny Summer's day).
Edit history:
Alko: 2014-07-02 05:09:01 pm
Alko: 2014-07-02 05:08:41 pm
Quote from LotBlind:
Lolz at the fact that Finland is extremely high on both those lists and people STILL complain about the trains in here Smiley It's just one of those "commonly accepted" themes of discussion like the "bad weather" (read not 20 degrees warm on a sunny Summer's day).

For the sake of statistics, 16 % of the Finnish population are 'fairly' or 'very dissatisfied' with train punctuality Wink

On an entirely unrelated note, my exchange booth is now closed (and has been so since Friday). I've got two request for crowns; one being by the same Austrian as last year, the other by the guy who'll likely be taking the same train. If you made a request and are not listed here, you can still PM me with evidence until tomorrow noonish. But I have no reason to believe I have forgotten anyone ^^
Edit history:
piti166: 2014-07-03 12:42:41 pm
So im gonna take a few trains to get to nässjö from bremen and already have the tickets for those. Im currently not sure what the best way is to get to skövde. i planned on buying a ticket there but after skimming this thread im a little bit confused if that is the best option.
Quote from piti166:
So im gonna take a few trains to get to nässjö from bremen and already have the tickets for those. Im currently not sure what the best way is to get to skövde. i planned on buying a ticket there but after skimming this thread im a little bit confused if that is the best option.

In 2012, I bought my tickets at the station. The ticket Skövde–Nässjö was 167 kr.
In 2013, I bought my tickets on the train. The ticket Nässjö–Skövde was 177 kr.
I just checked for the train I'm going to take in the interwebs. SJ said Nässjö–Skövde would be 183 kr.

Either there is less inflation this year than last year, or it's some 4 kr cheaper to pre-book on the internet. 4 kr = 50 ¢.
huh thx, now that you mentioned it ive also been wondering how I know if I have to buy the ticket at the station or in the train, do I have to search the station and if there is no machine for buying tickets i have to buy it on the train? also is anyone else taking the train from nässjö to skövde on th 26th?
Quote from piti166:
huh thx, now that you mentioned it ive also been wondering how I know if I have to buy the ticket at the station or in the train, do I have to search the station and if there is no machine for buying tickets i have to buy it on the train? also is anyone else taking the train from nässjö to skövde on th 26th?

I'll be taking it on the 25th, unfortunately Sad But I can tell you that you are better off just buying it on the train. There is no need to search for the conductor (it's not Germany), but when s/he comes, just tell them you need a ticket Nässjö–Skövde. State your age if it's less than 30, and ask if there are any more discounts. Have SEK ready. I think they accept credit cards (Robo/The other guy whose name I've forgotten, who was on the same train (Rueake? seriously can't remember >__<), if you're reading this, can you remember if she accepted cards?)
I can't remember any ticket machines in Nässjö C, but there was definitely an SJ counter selling tickets somewhere in the station. (But when I bought my 2013 return ticket in Skövde at the counter, the lady there told me it be better to buy it on the train.)

By the way: the train Nässjö – Skövde actually terminates at both of those stations, so just walk around Nässjö looking for the train to Skövde.
Also: In the unlikely event that the X2000 I assume you'll be taking from Malmö is slightly late, and you're scared you might miss the connection (usually, you have some ten minutes in Nässjö), don't hesitate to ask the conductors there if you'll make it, or if there's anything they can do to help ^^
Quote from Alko:
Quote from piti166:

I'll be taking it on the 25th, unfortunately Sad But I can tell you that you are better off just buying it on the train.

Just a note on this for anyone else reading: Only do this on non-SJ trains.  SJ no longer allows you to buy tickets on the train, and you will get fined.  I think they are a bit lenient with foreigners, as I'm pretty sure I've bought the ticket on the train since they stopped selling them on board. Had to pay twice the cost it would have been if I got it at the machine though (but it was either pay on board or wait two hours for the next train), not sure if the "foreigner" penalty was coincidentally around the same cost of the ticket (~120SEK)  or if they just double the fare, the usual penalty is about 1200SEK.
Quote from BenInSweden:
Quote from Alko:
Quote from piti166:

I'll be taking it on the 25th, unfortunately Sad But I can tell you that you are better off just buying it on the train.

Just a note on this for anyone else reading: Only do this on non-SJ trains.  SJ no longer allows you to buy tickets on the train, and you will get fined.  I think they are a bit lenient with foreigners, as I'm pretty sure I've bought the ticket on the train since they stopped selling them on board. Had to pay twice the cost it would have been if I got it at the machine though (but it was either pay on board or wait two hours for the next train), not sure if the "foreigner" penalty was coincidentally around the same cost of the ticket (~120SEK)  or if they just double the fare, the usual penalty is about 1200SEK.

Good thing to note and something I wasn't aware of. Added to the first post. ~Alko
Edit history:
BaalNocturno: 2014-07-05 08:01:51 pm
There is no light to save you
I just looked on the SJ ticket buy site the last train from either Arlanda C or STockholm C comes like half an hour before i even arrive which means the first direct train comes around 7:20 in the morning.
Are there any good bars and clubs in Arlanda that have open that long? I need something to do/somewhere to stay until i can board the train.

Edit: Looks like i cant pay/book in advance ( cant select "Other" Bank, dont have credit card or so), but i guess i can just buy the tickets at the station
Edit history:
j4sp3rr: 2014-07-05 07:59:29 pm
Quote from Alko:
Sniped for carsharing posts.

Menno888 & parents
Driving from: Somewhere close to Rotterdam
Spaces: 1 more apparantly taken?
Route: this one
Dates: 26/7–??/?

Yup, i took that one
Speed is all that matters.
Exe and I will be arriving in Gothenburg at around 10AM on the 25th. Give or take an hour later at the train station in Gothenburg.
I didn't read all post in the thread but if anyone arrives around the same time and wants to meet up, just let me know.
Quote from Neviutz:
Exe and I will be arriving in Gothenburg at around 10AM on the 25th. Give or take an hour later at the train station in Gothenburg.
I didn't read all post in the thread but if anyone arrives around the same time and wants to meet up, just let me know.

Me and a bunch of other guys are all arriving in Gothenburg around that time and are gonna hang out for a few hours and catch a cheap train in the evening (5:55pm). You're welcome to hang out with us if you want, not got anything specific planned yet, probably just going to wander around the city a bit.

That goes for anyone else arriving in Gothenburg on the 25th too. Just message me here or send me a PM and we can sort something out. Smiley
プラズマ
Quote from Neviutz:

Are you guys landing in Landvetter? Because Im arriving there at 9:30am
Quote from BaalNocturno:
I just looked on the SJ ticket buy site the last train from either Arlanda C or STockholm C comes like half an hour before i even arrive which means the first direct train comes around 7:20 in the morning.
Are there any good bars and clubs in Arlanda that have open that long? I need something to do/somewhere to stay until i can board the train.

Edit: Looks like i cant pay/book in advance ( cant select "Other" Bank, dont have credit card or so), but i guess i can just buy the tickets at the station

Arlanda's bars and restaurants, as you can see most are after security control.  The closest place with a nightclub (or civilisation really) is probably Märsta, there are SL busses every 15minutes, and takes about 20 minutes to get there.  After you've finished, there are buses every hour (throughout the night) to Stockholm before the trains wake up again.

I cannot vouch for the clubs in Märsta though, so you are literally on your own.
There is no light to save you
hm thx Smiley better airport bars then no bar^^