123456 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
ESA: 2014-07-04 04:57:02 pm
Since many other threads have already started popping up, it is now high time for a travel thread—and here it is! This post is organised into different sections:

- Getting to the event,
- Getting into Sweden from abroad
- General marathon information
- Places of Interest in Skövde.

For the sake of transparency, this post was written by Alko, with information cross-checked by Ozzy and Edenal and spelling cross-checked by flicky.

=================
Getting to the Event
=================

For Swedes and non-Swedes Wink

As is the rule all over the world, there are three means of transportation that you can use to get from where ever you set out to where you want to go:
(1) Take a train;
(2) Take a bus;
(3) Drive or carpool.

Train tickets can be found and bought on sj.se. It is generally a good idea in Sweden to pre-order tickets approximately 90 days ahead of the travel date for discounts. You can also buy tickets in many train stations or onboard some trains. Buying at the station is not recommended, because the tickets are more expensive there. It varies between companies whether you can buy your train tickets on-board. You can with some (Västtågen (e.g. Nässjö–Skövde)); while others (Skånetrafiken) do not allow so. (The companies that do not allow buying on-board will supply ticket machines at the station.) Especially note that SJ will not allow you to buy tickets on-board! If you plan on buying on-board, you will need SEK or a debit/credit card.
Taking a train is by far the most recommended means of travel, as Skövde station is located very conveniently between the House of Culture (the sleeping venue) and Nyeport (the streaming venue) (see the maps below).

Long-distance buses, the second most comfortable option. You can either book tickets via swebus.se or on the site of the region you're departing from (Skånetrafiken (skanetrafiken.se) for the Malmö region, Stockholms länstrafik (sl.se) for the Stockholm region and Västtrafik (vasttrafik.se) for the Gothenburg region).

Finally, of course, if you're driving, you can offer to take people with you on your way, making the journey along the large, empty and slow Swedish motorways (flicky and the gang know what I'm talking about Wink ) more enjoyable. Skövde is located somewhat close-ish to the E20 Göteborg–Stockholm, if you're coming from either of those directions. From the South (Malmö, Denmark), the most convenient route is probably along E4 to Jönköping, taking route 26 from there. If you're coming from the North … seriously?
If you are offering carpools, please post saying so in this thread. I'll collect all offers and confirmed passengers in the second post. If you want to include a map of your route, that's much appreciated. Brits, remember that these guys drive on the wrong side of the road.

==========================
Getting into Sweden from Abroad
==========================

Again, there are three generally appreciated ways of entering a country: By land (train/car/maybe bus), by water or by air.

Most non-Swedes will probably want to arrive by aeroplane (not airplane, we're in Europe!). Your best bet is to use a website like skyscanner.com that compares different prices of different airlines. Airports you can (and should) aim for are Gothenburg Landvetter (GOT), Stockholm Arlanda (ARN), Copenhagen Kastrup (CPH) and possibly Stockholm Skavsta (NYO) (being serviced by Ryanair). This list was ordered by both their proximity to Skövde and the ease to travel on from there.

Arlanda and Kastrup are both located conveniently on or close to train stations (look for Arlanda C and Kastrup, respectively) and you can continue on your journey by train (see above). There are many buses from Landvetter to Gothenburg central station
Every airport is serviced by long-distance buses, if you prefer that mode of travel. Of course, you can always bribe people to drive you on, or rent a car and take people with you from each of them.

If you're flying in from the British Isles or Ireland, check this thread if anybody else is going your way, maybe even on the same flight!

If you're planning on arriving by water, you're probably a Finn coming from Helsinki or Turku and will know your way to a train station from Stockholm's harbour. If not, do please post in this thread and I'll provide with additional assistance Wink

If you're taking the driving route, see the section above. And remember to post in this thread if you're able and willing to pick up people (and equipment?) on your way.

Finally, there are people who chose to enter Sweden by train. Assuming that you're coming from Denmark or further South, the most convenient option is probably an X2000 from Copenhagen to Nässjö C, followed by a Västtågen train directly to Skövde C. You can get to Copenhagen either conveniently on a night train from Amsterdam, Basel or Prague, or with EuroCity/IntercityExpress trains from Hamburg. Due to construction works, the night trains from Amsterdam, Basel and Prague to Copenhagen will end in Flensburg during the marathon! Note that you cannot (for whatever reason) buy a through ticket from Germany directly to Skövde; you will need to buy one to Nässjö C and purchase the last part of the ticket in Sweden (or via sj.se, as posted above).
Again, this option is usually cheapest if bought ~90 days ahead of the marathon (remember your return journey!). I generally can grab a return ticket to Nässjö for something like 120 € or less.
If you're coming from Norway, you can of course also reach Sweden by train. For reasons unknown to me, I couldn't find any information on booking a trip from Norway to Sweden on nsb.no; however travel information can be found (and tickets probably bought for the whole trip) from sj.se. I suggest you check out nsb.no and see if you can find more Wink
Using interrail (a five-out-of-ten days global pass costs 184 € for adolescents or 281 € for the poor souls older than 27; a ten-out-of-22 days global pass is 269/399 €) might also be an option, especially if you're planning on travelling further before or after the marathon.

Finally, when in Sweden, remember that they pay using their very own moneys. Getting Swedish crowns is possible in a variety of ways:
(1) just paying by card where ever you're going
(2) using your debit/credit card in any Swedish ATM to withdraw Swedish banknotes
(3) asking any bank in your country of origin nicely
(4) using a bureau de change
(5) if you are willing to pay in Euros, asking Alko, who will again open a mini exchange booth Wink

Options 1 and 2 will usually cost you some kind of being-abroad fee (1.5 % of the value paid/withdrawn for me). Option 3 can or can not cost you money, depending on your bank. Option 4 is generally the most expensive (to quote Poxnor: They'll charge you your left nut). For more information on option 5 open the spoiler Wink
My bank is nice enough to me to give me Swedish Crowns without requiring an additional fee (however requiring me to exchange at least 150 € every time I do so). So if you have Euros and want Swedish Crowns, I'll be very happy to exchange some more moneys and pass them on to you (not restricted to more than 150 €; can also be less). Please shoot me a PM, if you are interested. Please note the deadline: Contact me by the 27th of June (one month before the event). Of course, I can only give you the money at the event itself, unless by chance we're taking the same train Wink )

========================
General Marathon Information
========================

The main marathon topic and the place to ask questions that are not related to anything specific is this one
The marathon dates are the 27th of July to the 3rd of August.
You can sign up for the marathon, find the hotel booking information and look for hotel roommates here (also includes information on the mass housing. Sign up is still required if you're going for mass housing.) This thread also includes general cost and general payment information.
If you have intesting ideas for the second stream post them here

=======================
Places of Interest in Skövde
=======================

Sneakily stealing last year's maps from Crippe and Icedpingu x3

Explanation to Crippe's map:
Large steam engine: train station.
Garfield: House of culture, the sleeping area.
1: Nyeport, the sreaming area.
Pizzas: Places where you can get food.
Willy's, Netto: Shops where you can buy food.
Shopping bags: Shopping centre, including McDonald's.
Western Union: Yeah, you guessed it Wink
$: Banks/atms
knifes and forks: Restaurants.
Scandic, Hotel Skövde and the red thing on the top: Hotels. Note that these are not the hotels we have a deal with.

Explanation to Icedpingu's map:
This should actually be pretty self-explanatory. Most importantly, it notes the Quality Hotel Prisma, the one we have our hotel deal with.
Again note pizzas and knifes and forks are places where you can get food.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Alko: 2014-07-16 03:59:44 pm
Alko: 2014-07-07 06:16:27 am
Alko: 2014-07-01 04:06:15 pm
Alko: 2014-07-01 04:05:03 pm
Alko: 2014-06-26 02:41:13 pm
Alko: 2014-06-26 02:21:32 pm
Alko: 2014-06-20 02:38:29 pm
Alko: 2014-06-18 04:01:55 am
Alko: 2014-06-17 11:43:08 pm
Alko: 2014-05-24 12:48:50 pm
Alko: 2014-05-24 09:23:26 am
Alko: 2014-05-15 09:14:38 am
Alko: 2014-05-11 08:52:53 am
Alko: 2014-05-11 08:31:12 am
Alko: 2014-05-10 04:29:36 pm
Alko: 2014-05-10 01:59:52 pm
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Sniped for carsharing posts.

Offers:
Zzzlol94
Driving from: Møre og Romsdahl
via: Hamar (overnight stay)
Spaces: 2, maybe 3
Route: this one
Dates: 24/7 (Møre og Romsdahl–Hamar) or 25/7 (Hamar–Skövde) to the very end (probably 06/8)
Is now apparantly taking the train.

Full cars:
Menno888 & parents
Driving from: Somewhere close to Rotterdam
Passengers: j4sp3rr
Route: this one
Dates: 26/7–??/?

Kennyman666
Driving from: Gothenburg
Passengers: Charleon, Airrider, KrazyRasmus
Route: Airport pickups from Gothenburg Landvetter to Skövde possible
Dates: 26/7–??/?
Note: See his post for further info. Basically, no return spots can be claimed yet, but he'll try scheduling around people's airport run needs, if he knows well enough (= 1 week) in advance. Departure from Gothenburg can also be the 25th, if that's when people want to arrive.

Requests:
Fatzke and Eidgod
From Gothenburg central station
Dates: 25/7 4:20 – ??/?
Note: Are also considering trains, but are asking nonetheless.

Curseddolls
Dates: Probably whole time (25/7–05/8)
Note: Would also take a bus either way, but because of luggage a pickup would be nice.

Thiefbug and Elo
Dates: 25/7 or 26/7 to ??/?
Notes: Arriving at the airport late on the 25th, so airport pickup, overnight sleep and driving next day is possible, too. They can also manage taking early buses and sleep on the train on the 26th.
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2014-05-10 05:46:38 pm
Precursor
Right, so, here's what I'm currently believing the travel will look like for me:

I will be driving from Gothenburg, most likely arriving mid-day/afternoon Monday. I have 3 or 4 car spaces available. I can do airport (Landvetter that is) pickup on the way.

Yeah that's about it.
The cake is a lie
So, I'm taking the plane to Gothenburg, the plane will land at 14:45 on Saturday the 26th. I have to take the train at Gothenburg C at 15:55.
Is it reliable to :
- Take the 15:00 Airport Coach to go in the city ?
- Do Airport->Train Station in 20 minutes in case I miss the 15:00 coach ? (Coaches are every 20 minutes)
Quote from Gyoo:
So, I'm taking the plane to Gothenburg, the plane will land at 14:45 on Saturday the 26th. I have to take the train at Gothenburg C at 15:55.
Is it reliable to :
- Do Airport->Train Station in 20 minutes in case I miss the 15:00 coach ? (Coaches are every 20 minutes)

Now that's ambitious. Did you already book? Can you maybe take a later train? Having a mere 70 min between plane and train is … difficult, if buses only go every 20 mins …
Edit history:
PillsOfDeath: 2014-05-10 04:53:36 pm
PillsOfDeath: 2014-05-10 04:53:03 pm
I'm taking the plane to Bromma airport. The plane will land at 16:40 on Sunday the 27th. I have a train at Stockholm C at 18:14 (Last train of the day according to the website).

Is Stockholm C far away from Bromma airport (By taxi)? Is that possible to catch that train?
Hockey enthusiast
Bromma airport is actually closer to Stockholm than Arlanda.

Check www.sl.se for information about local transportation around Stockholm/Bromma. Look's like there are plenty of options!
The cake is a lie
Quote from Alko:
Quote from Gyoo:
Is it reliable to :

Now that's ambitious. Did you already book? Can you maybe take a later train? Having a mere 70 min between plane and train is … difficult, if buses only go every 20 mins …

Well I didn't pay attention to the distance between the airport and the train station when I booked everything :/ Thankfully my train tickets are repayable so I can change them, and I think I'll do that then Smiley
Edit history:
Menno888: 2014-06-03 05:43:48 am
My parents and I will be going by car, so we will have room for one more.

Edit: Found someone
Hockey enthusiast
Menno888: I'm not sure if you are aware, but there's a pretty high fee for crossing the bridge between Copenhagen (Denmark) and Mamlö (Sweden). I believe it's like 40-50€ one way.

For confort, you might want to look into taking the ferry from Sassnitz to Trelleborg instead. A 12 hour drive can be exhausting, getting a few hours rest mid way is not a bad idea! Smiley
EIDGOD and I are arriving by train in Gothenburg on July 25th at 4:20 pm. I repeat: 4:20 pm (not even kidding)

I know that taking a train to Skövde is always an option and the chances might not be high, but if anybody could offer a lift and pick us up there it would be pretty awesome. Smiley
Why is it that Gothenburg City isn't a reccommended airport?

I'll be arriving there with DizzyPrime on the 26th at 9:50am
I'm curious about the boat trip that the finnish people were planning and if anything more had come of that. I'd want to join that crew Tongue Also, I do not know my way to the trains so all the more reasons to go with the rest of the finnish people that are going.
Hockey enthusiast
Quote from Cereth:

Nothing wrong with that Airport. Just so small and hardly any airlines fly there. Except Ryanair and some small swedish airliners. Smiley
The cake is a lie
Quote from Edenal:
Quote from Cereth:

Nothing wrong with that Airport. Just so small and hardly any airlines fly there. Except Ryanair and some small swedish airliners. Smiley

And Air France Roll Eyes
Quote from Gyoo:
Quote from Edenal:
Quote from Cereth:

And Air France Roll Eyes

I think Air France fly to Göteborg Landvetter (GOT) and not Göteborg City (GSE)
The cake is a lie
Quote from Gaël:
I think Air France fly to Göteborg Landvetter (GOT) and not Göteborg City (GSE)

Oops, you're right, my bad ^^
Edit history:
Alko: 2014-05-11 08:32:23 am
Alko: 2014-05-11 08:28:48 am
Quote from JazzY:
I'm curious about the boat trip that the finnish people were planning and if anything more had come of that. I'd want to join that crew Tongue Also, I do not know my way to the trains so all the more reasons to go with the rest of the finnish people that are going.

Are they really? I admit semi-joking when writing that line 8D
Quote from Cereth:

I'll be arriving there with DizzyPrime on the 26th at 9:50am

The reason being Edenal telling me to take it out of the list o.o' For the same reasons he just posted xD
AirFrance actually doesn't list GSE, only GOT.

Quote from Edenal:
Menno888: I'm not sure if you are aware, but there's a pretty high fee for crossing the bridge between Copenhagen (Denmark) and Mamlö (Sweden). I believe it's like 40-50€ one way.

For confort, you might want to look into taking the ferry from Sassnitz to Trelleborg instead. A 12 hour drive can be exhausting, getting a few hours rest mid way is not a bad idea! Smiley

Good thing to note. Will add the prices for crossing the bridge later today. Might also go looking for the Sassnitz-Trelleborg (or somewhere else–Trelleborg ferry prices).

Btway, it always helps, if you add flight/train numbers when posting arrivals Wink

Edit: Checked prices of different ferry connections and the bridge. In a nutshell: The bridge is 46 € for a car (44 with EasyGo, whatever that is), many ferry connections are more. The only one that's actually cheaper is Sassnitz–Trelleborg, where I found one connection for 40 €. However the ferry prices are varying, depending on time and date. So if you're lucky, you might find more cheaper prices; you will, however be bound to a date and time. If you plan on just showing up, be prepared to pay up to a lot more.

Edit²: The ferry companies asked me to check with an amount of people. I put in three and one car. I didn't check how the prices vary for different numbers of travellers. The bridge is a flat-rate, afaict.
Quote from Alko:
Quote from JazzY:

Are they really? I admit semi-joking when writing that line 8D

Oasiz mentioned it once during a roundtable I think, and I know a few people that were talking about going by boat. Hoping I could get some more info on that and maybe tag along with them.
Are there any norwegians planning on driving to ESA, and that are driving from or past Oslo?
Very cool ! I will be watching from a distance, I was just to late to sign myself up for some game. I'm kinda new to the community. Good luck to all !
twitch.tv/OC1_
Me and Drastnikov will take the train from Stockholm to Skövde on the 27th (not booked yet), if anyone else would like to meet up. Drastnikov will be arriving in Stockholm the 26th and will stay at my place until departure to Skövde. I have room for more people if anyone needs a place to stay in Stockholm on your way to/from ESA.
Quote from Edenal:

We are aware of that, the ferry was our original plan, but we decided to go for the bridges instead.
We both like money! Friends?
I will be driving from the south of Norway. I'll have 2-3 spaces available in the car (depends if p-why is joining me or not). Unfortunately I won't be leaving until Thursday the 31st of July, but I will be traveling home on Saturday the 2nd which may fit people's travel plans better.

I will travel south on E6 and drive via Uddevalla. Hop over to road 46 and then E20 and road 49 for the last bit.
Quote from Menno888:
My parents and I will be going by car, so we will have room for one more.

Here is the driving route we'll be taking: http://goo.gl/maps/LrA4p

We will be leaving July 26 early in the morning, and arrive pretty late the same day.

Damn the one group coming from my country and you guys arent gonna be even close to where i live.