Smiley
Sad
of 22 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
This is where you post how it's going with the practice for ESA!

Just briefly post what game you've practised and how that is going.

We have to confirm that you can perform and if you cannot assure us that you are in shape for the run at the marathon, it might not make it to the final schedule. I hope you all realise how important it is for us that you post your progress so that you don't get your game dropped even if you've practised your games.

As stated in the Game Suggestions thread: If you have suggested a game you haven't learned and mastered yet, you need to show steady (weekly) progress after the point that your suggestion passes the first cut.

Hopefully you'll enjoy sharing your results with everyone and if needed tell us if you have to opt-out of a game by saying so here os send us  a PM.
Thread title:  
What is a man?
I'll snag the first post here too!

Shadow Of The Ninja: Currently practicing the newly found zips in this game found by Blechy (yes, finally this game got zips too!), going to be followed by WR attempts after I'm done with the move 14th of february

Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance: I Will probably not need very much practice for this game until ESA draws close (and then the practice is just to derust), I did a random run of all bosses last week on stream and clocked in at 16:57 (worse than last ESA:s time), but as ESA draws closer I'll do about 40 or so runs until I'm consistently getting sub 16 times.

Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow: Like Shadow Of the Ninja, after the move I'll get back to this game and try to set a new WR for the Cathegory i suggested as i want to make an SDA submission out of it. For the actual ESA though, I will use the shop glitch, which means you get 117 potions from the shop, which wastes 37 seconds, but is easily made up by the awesomeness of the actual glitch. With 117 potions I should be safe and have no worries about dying ever. However I'll get on to practice this, as I said
Personal text
I'll post some updates about my games until they get cut Smiley

Mega Man 8: PB: 55:11, Estimate: 1:10:00, Status: Haven't played in a while, but PB is pretty solid. I need to time the cutscenes some day, so I know how much time they add.
Mega Man ZX: PB: 1:10:xx, Estimate: 1:20:00, Status: Trying to get used to playing on a DS. I have ordered a capture "kit", so hopefully I can start streaming soon~ish.
Chip 'N Dale (co-op): PB: none, Estimate: 0:20:00, Status: We have a way to practice, but we need to sit down and figure out the strats in detail first.
Mega Man III (GB): PB: 30:39, Estimate: 0:45:00, Status: I beat the fastest time I found (30:42 by some japanese guy), so I feel kinda safe with this one for now.
Bubble Ghost: PB: 9:44?, Estimate: 0:15:00, Status: Well I've done two "runs" of this so far Tongue Would be awesome if someone wanted to race this one!
Get over here!
The Ship Single Player I improved the route for the game so I can trigger the infinite stamina glitch on will. I beat my old easy record which now is 19:14.77. I gave such a high estimate because higher difficulty increases the chances for bad stuff to happen by a lot. I'd even agree that easy difficulty is the way to go to make this run more stable because higher difficulty simply increase enemy health.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent The only things I'd look into for this game would be save warping positions. Some of those save a lot of time.

Amnesia: Justine No need to practice this. I will be using marathon safe strats. I talked to Mr Weables about this (as I submitted it to SGDQ aswell) and there could be donation incentives for saving the NPCs aswell as collecting a hidden note to unlock a special message at the end.

Anodyne No need for practice outside the pit skip. I improved my pb by a few seconds to 5:10.48.

Electronic Super Joy This is currently the run I've been practicing the most. I pushed my time down to 31:17 just today and believe this can still go lower.

LIMBO I've looked into this run and would like to give an estimate now. To be on the safe side of things 1 hour should be possible. It would mostly come down to not die a stupid death.

Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior My record was beaten in this game but I plan to take it back. It's basically a very safe estimate too.
The cake is a lie
Leaf Me Alone : No need to practice. If I get any PB, it's a WR, since I already have all the WRs for all the categories Smiley
Nightsky : Need to derust quite a few, then learn new strats. I'll start to get back on this before the end of submissions I think. Currently, I can still sub 40, but sub 40 isn't satisfying at all.
Electronic Super Joy : I just need to get better, same thing as Nightsky for my training "schedule"
DX, DXHR, MGR, TRA, GTA SA
Deus Ex Human Revolution any% : Improved my PB/WR of 40sec and got sub 1:06 now.

Deus Ex Human Revolution absolute zero% : Improved my PB/WR of 2min and got 2:36:16 can still improve a lot of time in here (more than 5min) but it is quiet hard because absolute zero%. Tongue

Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut any% : Improved my PB of 1:38 to 1:33 still going for sub 1:29 ! Cheesy
Edit history:
RoryExtraLife: 2014-02-07 06:47:40 am
RoryExtraLife: 2014-02-07 06:37:12 am
RoryExtraLife: 2014-02-07 06:36:18 am
That's the power of the Keyyyblaaade
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMiX Any% Beginner : Did a pretty decent run last night but ended up shaving 8 and a half minutes off of my PB, and reached my current goal of a sub 3:20 run! Also back into the top 15 runners of the game, and bopped a bunch of people, including someone I'm meant to be having a race with today! Also Japanese version should be arriving in the next few days, so I should be able to start learning that so I can push my boundaries even further. Also there were quite a few elementary errors made in the run, so there's definitely room for improvement at this point! I also found out that I'm consistently getting sub 3:30 (faster than my estimate) even with the absolutely god awful shield route that I have as a donation incentive, so looking super consistent in that regard.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Ventus Any% : Been doing some testing of a new strategy that might skip a bunch of otherwise mandatory battles, might be able to shave a good 5 or 6 minutes off with that alone, not to mention I've only done 2 proper runs of it, so I am hoping that I can get this down even further. However this game is not my current focus, as I am taking part in a race tournament for 1.5, so for the next week or so, it'll be slow progress.
Okami HD - New Game+ - Any%: Did an offline run this morning and my time was 1:28:xx.

All my runs seems to be consistently under 1:30 now. I'll do another run tonight and post a video Wink
Edit history:
General_Beatrix: 2014-02-07 10:56:02 am
General_Beatrix: 2014-02-07 10:55:49 am
General_Beatrix: 2014-02-07 10:55:29 am
General_Beatrix: 2014-02-07 06:44:43 am
Bayonetta any%: Doing runs of this most days, since submitting I've cut my time from 2:37 to 2:21, about 1 minute off WR, will be sub 2:20 soon. Edit: New WR at 2:19:10 while streaming.

Metal Gear Rising NG+ Hard: Played / tested some stuff recently (that turned out to be nothing), doesn't really need practice at the moment and any time improvement will only come from grinding out runs for perfect luck etc.. Will play closer to ESA.
Edit history:
ESA: 2014-02-07 06:49:28 am
Quote from RoryExtraLife:
Also Japanese version should be arriving in the next few days, so I should be able to start learning that so I can push my boundaries even further.

We do prefer the English version. Japanese makes the run (even though faster) less interesting for anyone who does not know the game by heart.
Ninja Gaiden (Master System): PB: 16:57, Estimate: 25:00, Status: I've been playing it a lot lately, and it's only a matter of resets before I get a new PB/WR. I got my mind set on getting a time somewhere between 16:30 and 16:40.
That's the power of the Keyyyblaaade
Quote from ESA:
Quote from RoryExtraLife:
Also Japanese version should be arriving in the next few days, so I should be able to start learning that so I can push my boundaries even further.

We do prefer the English version. Japanese makes the run (even though faster) less interesting for anyone who does not know the game by heart.

Fair enough! I'm perfectly fine with running either version since they're both readily available, and since they're for PS3 there's no real region locking.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Batman: Arkham Asylum - doesn't need practice yet (although I will be revisiting it soon to try and bring my PBs down)

Batman: Arkham City - been testing out the new glitch and it breaks the game in more ways than you can imagine!  That's more relevant to the glitch demonstration as there's only one use found for a run so far (well, two uses technically, but the second is super unreliable) and it only saves about half a minute.  Had a couple of no-reset runs, both went horribly and finished sub-2.

Rick Dangerous - practicing offline I got my time down to 29:02 with safe strats, however this still has a ways to go.

Great Giana Sisters - is fine for now and won't need grinding until we get closer to the marathon.  I had a few offline practices a couple of days ago all of which finished sub-10 and I died once across all three attempts which I'm very happy with.
Shadow Warrior 2013 - We just found another major skip in a level that didn't have any skips before, saving about 20 minutes again.
www.twitch.tv/amvx
The Maw 100% down to an (unofficial) 1:28. I only say that because I purposefully wasted time in an area, because I skipped one thing. It proves that 1:27 is definitely possible though.

Amazing Spider-man has dropped to a 2:17, and still can shed off a few minutes more at least.

Grim Fandango - I still don't know what causes the (stack overflow?) warps that happen occasionally.
Edit history:
KanBan85: 2014-02-07 07:53:53 am
We both like money! Friends?
Braid - Just a short update compared to ESA 2013

I can now preform all but one trick compared to the current WR run with good consistency. My current PB is now 24:42 (compared to current WR of 24:21). During last ESA the WR was 24:39. My goal is to break WR by March 2014 and I know I can do it with current strategies. I am also working on a new start for one of the levels which is currently better (but a tad risky) than current WR strats.

I can also now preform a "Tim teleportation" which does not save any time unless preformed frame perfect (it is done in the TAS run), but it is good for show and can be a donation incentive.

I will also start to brush up "Another Perspective" after March I think.
Viewtiful Joe - Picked up this game about a month ago and I'm about 9 minutes off the WR right now. I hope to get within 3-5 minutes by ESA. Will update with weekly progress. PB is at 42:23 right now.
Spyro:Year of the Dragon I did a run last night and dropped my PB down from a 1:12:38 to a 1:09:12, still easily improvable and I'll keep going at it.
The Duce
I play the games a lot. Right now tho focus lies on these three, as they hav'nt been published on the internet yet

The Goonies: Just beaten my PS by 42 seconds. Video will be published soon

Castlevania 5: It was a while since I made an excellent speedrun, so this week I am warming up. Will record a video soon and publish it

Roller Games: Made a 3 second improvement this week and intend to do some more before uploading the video. I have lots of playing waiting ahead

Metal Storm: I have not beaten my PS yet but I am going there just any time. Video will be up soon

Kung Fu: Video is waiting for being published.

Also the other games are being played and there will be more on them later
Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2

Episode 1: I dropped my PB from 1:03:xx to 59:37 in a couple of days. I'm still not happy with my PB and I want it to drop to sub 55. I'm going to try some different strats (most likely the second bossfight) and learning more about the maps.
However, my working hours won't allow me a regular practice schedule, but I think it's still possible to achieve that "magical goal".

Episode 2: I was playing it offline and was able to get around 1:20 even with the worst maps possible. What I have to learn though is pretty simple: Stay alive during the run! the end-game, which is going to be my goal now.

I would like to offer a donation incentive to pick a character name. Whatever name is chosen, will change the ID, thus the drop rate of certain weapons. Since there are many possibilities, I'm going to test it out with every possible Section-ID.
Edit history:
Flippy_o: 2014-02-10 08:05:06 pm
Mario Kart 64 (skips/no skips) - Haven't had too much practice since my N64 arrived just a week ago, but I've gotten used to it, and now do consistent times on the courses. Should get some runs going in the next week with good times. Will update within the next week, but don't expect any major things to change - improvement over time is very minor at this point, as the game only allows so-so good times compared to my current pb.
For glitches, I've been learning a setup for Rainbow Road green-shell skip (which by the way saves over a minute if done right per lap), so some skips practice is coming along too.
(I noticed the comment about Japanese games, this game has no text-based, and has some interesting facts about skips compared to the English version, so Japanese is definitely still worth it!)
Update 1 Had a few days to play, so far only a 41:11 no skips, but sum of bests down to 40:20 in just a few attempts. I will be aiming for sub 40 in the future (which would make it top 2-3 time IGT). Nothing for skips yet, except a bit of practice for some of the jumps you have to make.
Edit history:
Incalex: 2014-02-07 12:46:10 pm
I'm a scrubby noob
Borderlands
(On my submission, I already edited the time, but the first submitted time was 2:28:10)
New PB is 2:17:10, so actually the fastest RTA done, but not a WR since we time without loadings, and my loadings are way faster than JayTOH's, so I'm just 1min behind the WR (also, this PB is the 2nd best w/o loadings time)
I guess there's not much else to say.

Bastion
Not trained yet. I'll focus on it later since I want the Borderlands WR before ESA (or at ESA ? :D)
Dirge of Cerberus: FF7

Routed half of the chapters in the game and have started practising individual chapters. I'm focusing on the first 6 chapters first.

Final Fantasy X

Currently doing at least 1 run a week, it can be difficult to get in much more than that since it's such a long game.

Bastion

No practice yet. Shouldn't take too long to derust a 15 minute run.
Lego Batman

Couple new skip has been found in Lego Batman Smiley Frame perfect though so need to get this into my muscle memory. Saves roughly 20-30 seconds off one of the levels. Doing runs of this at least once a week.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Continuing to do runs of this at least 3-4 weeks a week. Improved PB down to 5:55:25, should get lower each week if I can find the causes for my crashes.

Also new strats found in San Fierro, saves roughly 2-3 minutes from the run. Sub 5:30 RTA getting closer and closer.
Ocarina of time

100% is currently going through constant route changes to be even more optimised, I can easily get a sub 5:10-5:05 during next week, since I'm constantly minus seven to eight minutes until rng screws me over (mainly dampes hp, which is fun), still steady sub 5:30 paces after that though.

My no wrong warp will improve since my pb isn't that optimised, might be able to save a minute total, due to lag it's really hard to get a sub 55:30 on n64, but possible.