--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
ESA: 2013-12-05 06:07:34 am
ESA: 2013-12-05 06:00:03 am
For every major marathon there are a handful of runners who suggest games they currently are not comfortable with or maybe has never ever played for the sole reason that it's a popular game and they believe it has a higher chance of making it into final schedule. This is necessarily not a bad thing and it has attracted our interest. Therefore, we present to you:

Bounty games!

So, what's this all about?

It's a way for us organizers to put our personal touch on the schedule by pre selecting games that we would like to see during the marathon. When discussing what games would be suitable we had a few criterion like that the games should be recognizable, affordable, not too RNG heavy,  not too long but most importantly not have an already huge community.

How are runner for each games decided?
The runner/runners with the best time/times at a certain deadline will be the winner of the bounty, and will be asked, if willing, to play that particular game during ESA2014. Dates will be decided in the near future, but the deadline be around the same time as the game suggestion thread goes live.
Hopefully the runs will turn in races / co-op.

What are the games in question? (Tentative list. Final list will feature 4-5 games)

Castle of Illusion HD

Castlevania Rebirth

Sparkster (SNES version)

Ikaruga

Mega Man 1-6 (Robot masters only)

Gunstar Heroes

Batman (Genesis version)

Strider (Genesis version)

Limbo

Super Mario Land 2

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

Anodyne

Ittle Dew

Zelda Oracle of Seasons / Ages (Back to back games) - Can be done by a team of 2 players.

Bubsy (SNES version)

Wonder Boy in Monster World (3)

Wonder Boy IV

GTA 5 - some%/Trevor%

Do you feel like a game is missing?
Feel free to come with suggestions, but please motivate why it would be good addition.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Joka: 2013-12-05 06:17:33 am
Personal text
Quote from ESA:

I'm against featuring only parts of games.

Other than that, I feel like priority should always go to people who wants to play games they actually like and put a lot of time into, rather than someone who is basically just doing it for a bounty. You will always get better runs and commentary from people who are genuinely interested in their game.

However, if this gets people to pick up games which it turns out they really like - I'm all for it.
Quote from ESA:
Ikaruga

Why would someone speedrun an autoscroller puzzle game? It isn't even fun to play for score.
Edit history:
charleon: 2013-12-05 06:27:36 am
What is a man?
Question: are ALL the games listed DEFINITELY going to be attending ESA2014, because I don't want to start praccticing any games that will not be in the schedule

Edit: Sorry, didn't read everything.. 4 or 5 will be in the final list Cheesy
Quote from Inco:
Why would someone speedrun an autoscroller puzzle game? It isn't even fun to play for score.

The motivation why it's on the list of potential candidates:
Ikaruga is widely regarded in mainstream gaming media as one of the best 2D shooters and there's no arguing about it being one of the most recognized arcade shooter ports, especially with it being ported to XBLA in recent years. The average gamer probably never finished the game, so for most viewers simply beating the game is an accomplishment. Beating it with style? Even better.

You are 100% right that it's not a pure speedrunning game. But ESA is not a pure speedrunning marathon.

Quote from Joka:

The motivation behind this suggestion is that it's a popular race on SRL. In the end we might end up with major redundancies if any of the NES Mega Man games will be suggested. At this point, this whole idea is still experimental.

Quote from Joka:
Other than that, I feel like priority should always go to people who wants to play games they actually like and put a lot of time into, rather than someone who is basically just doing it for a bounty. You will always get better runs and commentary from people who are genuinely interested in their game.

However, if this gets people to pick up games which it turns out they really like - I'm all for it.

Your worries are not unfounded. But hopefully, the competition will eliminate those who does not have what it takes to get the best time.
Precursor
Quote from ESA:
Ikaruga is widely regarded in mainstream gaming media as one of the best 2D shooters

Note: Mainstream media mostly have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to 2D shooters. But I'll leave it at that.

But speaking of shooters, when the plan is to feature high-skill play of well-known games, I don't think it would be a bad idea to feature at least one Touhou game on the schedule. One of the best western players is Swedish, even.
Hockey enthusiast
Quote from KennyMan666:
But speaking of shooters, when the plan is to feature high-skill play of well-known games, I don't think it would be a bad idea to feature at least one Touhou game on the schedule. One of the best western players is Swedish, even.

I think there's a very good chance that one Touhou shooter would make the schedule if suggested. But that's for another thread. Smiley
Edit history:
lecorbak: 2013-12-05 09:04:43 am
lecorbak: 2013-12-05 09:04:05 am
lecorbak: 2013-12-05 09:03:19 am
Vanilla H is mai waifu
Quote:
Ikaruga is widely regarded in mainstream gaming media as one of the best 2D shooters and there's no arguing about it being one of the most recognized arcade shooter ports

no.
=> Radiant Silvergun, Mushihimesama & Futari, Donpachi games, Mars Matrix, Touhou 11, Twinkle Tale, Thunder Force games

Quote:

well, it's like "ff6, first boss only" or "Super Mario Bros World 1 only", what is the point ?

and castle of illusion HD is crap.
Duck Tales Remastered would talk more to people.
Precursor
Quote from zebdal:
Radiant Silvergun, Mushihimesama & Futari, Donpachi games, Mars Matrix, Touhou 11, Twinkle Tale, Thunder Force games

None of those are more well known than Ikaruga. Even if most of them are better.
What about categories? Will that be a part of the bounty?
For Ittle Dew, for example, I could do either but i'm better at and prefer 100%.
Edit history:
lecorbak: 2013-12-05 02:09:55 pm
lecorbak: 2013-12-05 02:07:37 pm
Vanilla H is mai waifu
Quote:
None of those are more well known than Ikaruga.

On youtube :

Ikaruga, best video : 1,2 M views

Mushihimesama Futari, best video : 4,4M views

Touhou 8, best video : 1,5M views

Well, not the more well known, but yeah, a lot of people know about this game.

What I want to say, it's that Ikaruga is not "widely regarded in mainstream gaming media as one of the best 2D shooters".
it's just a game people who don't know anything about shmup say "it's a really good game" because someone else said the same thing without knowing why, you know, like twilight shit or hunger games.
But when you look at people as spectators, they are 'generally' more interested in hardcore games like Mushihimesama or Dodonpachi than Ikaruga.
I'm not saying that's a bad game, but if Ikaruga is chosen because you think this game will be more entertaining than the other shooters, I don't think that's the best choice.
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2013-12-05 02:30:08 pm
KennyMan666: 2013-12-05 02:27:40 pm
KennyMan666: 2013-12-05 02:23:38 pm
Precursor
Quote from zebdal:
"widely regarded in mainstream gaming media as one of the best 2D shooters".
people who don't know anything about shmup say "it's a really good game"

These two are the same thing since shmups are a very niche genre, and mainstream media have for some reason always seemed to think that Gradius and R-Type, the most mainstream shmup series you'll ever find, aren't terrible games. And sure, compared to that, Ikaruga is an improvement, and it was a rare one that actually got a port released worldwide to a console that had sold a bunch. So they went nuts over it and people who don't know better try it and go with the THIS IS HARDCORE GAMING. (the Mushi Futari video only has views because it's the running gag of hardes video game boss ever, I'm pretty sure not many people who view that would play the game or have any real interest in watching a full run. Touhou gets a lot of views because there's a lot of so-called Touhou fans that never actually touch the games)

Given the comments on stuff like the Ikaruga Greenlight campaign, people still think like this. It's the only shmup that gets mainstream exposure. It's the only one they know. Other shmups, thankfully, aren't like Ikaruga - and I know examples of people who have been turned off from them for that reason. Mainstream media still doesn't know anything about shmups - latest example would be Sine Mora, which seems to have gotten praise here and there but it's one of the dullest shmups I've played in my entire life.

See, I completely agree with you. I think Ikaruga is a pretty bad game, and I'd definitely prefer seeing a Cave game - a dude in #shmups didn't seem entirely averse to the half-joke suggestion of stopping by with a 2-ALL Ketsui - but in terms of publicity, Ikaruga is the most in mainstream gaming circles (if you'll allow the expression) known shmup. With all that it entails.

Edit: Though, really, this probably isn't the thread for this. So I think I'll shut up now.
Get over here!
Some of these games are available on steam. Another sale will start on the 19th this month. So if you wish to pick them up wait until the sale starts.

I myself have Limbo and I ran Anodyne any%. I could learn more categories and/or Limbo too.
Smörgåsbord
Castle of Illusion HD - I know the world champion TheMagicToiletbrush wanna come to ESA, him and Nudua are really good friends!
Truljin @ Twitch
Only one interesting for me which I actually have experience of is GTA 5, Trevor% is good as it's pretty short.
the ESA team probably knows this by now, but the NLG crew is working on a 3 man co-op of GTA V, this will come paired with entertainment value of possibly acting out cutscenes and all that kind of stuff if incentives are met ofcourse