1234 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Hockey enthusiast
We've put together a simple website to help us promote the event.
http://europeanspeedsterassembly.com/

To make it even better we would like pictures of runners (and attendees!!!). If you would like to be featured, either post an image in this thread or send it to me through PM along with short bio:
Name, age, nationally/hometown, twitch-page, twitter, interests, pets.

Alko's bio from C4L-marathon.
Quote:
'Since Alko first happened to play Final Fantasy IX back in 2004, he was hooked on the game. He has loved the series since; so, once he heard that there was a Final Fantasy marathon happening, he tried everything to be able to take part. It worked, and he is making the long trip all the way from Germany to Canada. When he's not enjoying Final Fantasy games, chances are he's at the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, working on his PhD thesis in natural products chemistry. He may also be taking part in one of his many other hobbies, including but not limited to playing the trumpet, volunteering as an EMT, model railways, volleyball and politics. No, we don't know, when he sleeps, either.'

Thank you!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
ozzy88: 2013-06-28 03:03:44 pm
ozzy88: 2013-06-28 03:00:27 pm
ozzy88: 2013-06-24 05:33:37 am
Short bio:

Name: Emil Blom
Nationally/hometown: Gothenburg, Sweden
Twitch: twitch.tv/ozzy__88
Twitter: @ozzy__88
Interests: Playing games and watching other people playing games.
Pets: Two dogs and a tarantula.

Emil Blom, probably better known as ozzy88 got into the whole speedrun thing about two years ago. When he discovered TAS he went to look for a TAS of a game he had recently played thanks to a Swedish podcast called Retroresan. After having his mind blown, he went to the SDA website in search for the best playthrough to date by a human being. The run had a lot of interesting mechanics and it looks pretty easy to get through the route, so he decided to give it a shot, just for fun. So he learned the tricks and started doing full runs that never got to the end...wasn't as easy as the SDA runner Romscout made it look. Mildly frustrated that he couldn't get any decent runs and ended up dead for the most part he stopped playing SotN after some time.

Later ozzy88 got really into racing Super Mario World on Speed Runs Live among other things. But suddenly something shifted in the SotN community, all of a sudden there were new time saving tricks that changed the way you play it completely! Still interested in the game he followed Romscouts progress with the game and one day Romscout decided to arrange some shorter races for those willing to learn how to speedrun SotN. Excited about the idea ozzy88 hopped on this among with several others. Since then he's been trying to inch closer and closer to the world record.
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2013-06-22 05:22:39 pm
KennyMan666: 2013-06-22 05:14:35 pm
KennyMan666: 2013-06-22 05:14:20 pm
KennyMan666: 2013-06-22 05:14:08 pm
Precursor
Well sure. A picture may or may not be forthcoming. For some reason I always look terrible on photos. I like to believe I don't always look terrible in real life.

Name: Sten Magnus von Goës Karlström
Hometown: Gothenburg, Sweden
Twitch channel: twitch.tv/kennyman616

Kenny was born on the same year that the NES was released in Sweden and it went downhill from there. He started speedrunning back in the day when recording to VHS tape was still the primary method of getting runs up on SDA. Not sure what he wants to be when he grows up, but it's looking unlikely that he'll ever grow up. When not speedrunning, he enjoys shmups, food, music and sleeping. Is still awaiting the day when a donation reader at a marathon nails the pronounciation of his name.
Personal text
Nick: Joka
Name: Jonathan Karlsson
Nationality/hometown: Skellefteå, Sweden
Twitch: twitch.tv/jokaah
Twitter: @thisIsJoka
Interesets: Playing games, discgolf, programming

Awesome picture:
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
So up for a new round from my part (I'll stick with the 3rd person, since it seems like people just followed that xD):

Nick: Alko
Name: Jan Geldsetzer
Twitch: None

Sometime in the mid-2000's Alko went looking for Minesweeper records on the Internet, stumbled across the concept of speedruns and the Speed Demos Archive website. On that website was a speedrun of Ocarina of Time in just over five hours. The poor little chap, who thought he was good for beating that game within a week, was absolutely flabbergasted at what he saw in that video. It sparked a general interest in speedrunning which slowly but surely grew. The first marathon he attended was last year's European Speedster Assembly in Skövde, where he showed off a nice performance of Goof Troop together with Edenal. This year again, he's jumping on the same train and crossing the same bridge to the same Swedish town, to throw more barrels against pirates in Goof Troop, and also beat up a few Romans in Astérix and Obélix. Whenever he doesn't have a Nintendo or PlayStation controller in his hands, odds are high he'll be at the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, working on his PhD thesis in natural products chemistry. And in the little spare time he has left, he occupies himself with one of his other hobbies, including but not limited to learning weird foreign languages (a.k.a. Finnish), model railways, volleyball, politics, playing the trumpet or watching Anime.
Alright.

Name: Daniel Svärd
Hometown: Mariefred, Sweden
Twitch: twitch.tv/Goronguy
Twitter: @GoronGuy
Interests: Video games, Bass Guitars and Thrash Music

GoronGuy first got into the speedrunning community late 2007 when he started posting videos
of Twilight Princess glitches on Youtube. He later discovered that there was an entire site that was dedicated to this term known as "Speedrunning".
However, he left the community soon after to focus on competitive Call of Duty stuff. After realizing what a stupid fanbase and community CoD actually has, He returned to find out that SDA had really grown!
As soon as he started watching videos of fellow speedrunner Runnerguy2489 he was hooked and wanted to try it out himself. Just watching someone manipulate the game (Ocarina of Time) was mind-blowing and really exciting.
After 2 months of Ocarina of Time, GoronGuy decided to move on to a different game as he wasn't having much fun with Ocarina of Time. The game he picked up was Majora's Mask. GoronGuy had been apart of Justin.tv since 2007 and he discovers that they now have a
site dedicated to just video games, Twitch.tv . The rest is history.

Picture of yours truly: http://i.imgur.com/7h45ZSd.jpg
Edit history:
Noizeeh: 2013-06-23 08:31:52 am
Noizeeh: 2013-06-23 07:36:57 am
Got it memorized?
Nick: Noizeeh
Name: Kevin Jaskiewicz
Twitch: http://twitch.tv/Noizeeh
Twitter: @NoizeehRuns
Interests: Speedgaming and watching other Speedgame.

Noizeeh was a regular stream lurker, until he stumbled upon a Super Mario 64 speedrun by Siglemic in december 2012, he then started looking for other speedrunners on Twitch.tv and he found different people like GoronGuy and CosmoWright who showed him different speedruns of various games.
He quickly started following theese people and then thought to himself: Hmm.... Maybe I should start speedrunning? And so he did in february 2013 after getting some helpful advice from GoronGuy on how to start out on Twitch.tv, Noizeeh picked up Super Mario 64 and quickly started grinding runs, he smashed PB after PB until he found out about the European Speedster Assembly. Noizeeh decided that he wanted to pick up a new game to speedrun for the marathon and he thought to himself: Which game do I love the most? By asking himself that question he got the brilliant idea that he wanted to speedrun Kingdom Hearts 2 for the marathon...
Edit history:
eTholon: 2013-06-29 09:35:13 am
:D
Name: Simon Olsson
Hometown: Hökerum, Sweden
Twitch: twitch.tv/etholon
Interests: Video games, Tabletop games, Game development... Games

Simon "eTholon" Olssons earliest memory is that of him playing Ice Climbers for the NES at the age of 1. Not much has changed since then and his latest memory probably involves video games aswell. He had been aware of speedrunning long before thinking of trying it himself but after watching AGDQ'13 he thought he'd give it a shot. Since then he has spent most of his time learning games, watching streams and having a generally good time within the speedrunning community.
Edit history:
PeteThePlayer: 2013-06-23 07:45:16 am
Name: Peter Tissen
nationally/hometown: Germany, no need for more info Wink
twitch-page: twitch.tv/mrnojojojo
twitter: yeah right, follow me on shitter Smiley
interests: video games, languages, sports, grills
pets: Cat, guinea pig

Pete came in contact with speedrunning due to a speedrunning community's tournament on YouTube named 'I'm A Speedrunner' with the focus on Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. Samura1man and Neviutz both had influence on Pete's conversion to SRL and SDA and ever since then he stayed loyal and still speedruns Crash Bandicoot up to date. Since December 2012 he started actively streaming on Twitch and expands his channel even more with a whole variety of different games, raning from GTA, Disney's Hercules over to even Tekken and Final Fantasy.

VVVVVVVVVVVVV KREYGASMIC PICTURE RIGHT THERE VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Attachment:
Dog
Name: Nikolaj Gerning Sørensen
Hometown: Hammel, Denmark
Twitch: twitch.tv/tharixer
twitter: @ThaRixer
Interests: Video games, shuffling.

ThaRixer was a guy that enjoyed making youtube Let's Plays. Eventually he got an invitation to join a youtube speedrunning tournament named ''I'm A Speedrunner.'' Samura1man was the person who won one of those tournaments, and he ended up showing ThaRixer SpeedRunsLive. He didn't exactly know how to get a stream working, but when he did Crash Bandicoot 2 was the first serious attempts of any game he did. Later on he thought about running Jak 3, and has been the game he has spent the most amount of hours into. He started picking up diffrent games such as Jak II, Vexx, VVVVVV, and other games in the Crash Bandicoot series.

Long haired dane: http://i.imgur.com/yQBsoI8.jpg
What is a man?
Nick: Charleon
Name: Tobias Nerg
Twitch: http://sv.twitch.tv/sethcharleon

Has a quite intriguing story behind his last name and how it came to be, the story behind his nick isn't that impressive though; his middle name happens to be Leon, and he happens to like Charmander..Char Leon, oh well! He got introduced to the Speedrunning scene last year at ESA 2012 where he was glued to the marathon and was deprived of much sleep. LIking the community, he himself started to run some games. Megaman X and Megaman 2 are two of his projects, but his most precious child is Castlevania:Harmony of Dissonance, where he after thousands of failed runs now has two World Records for the Maxim character Cathegories.

Other than speedrunning, Charleon has been developing games in the game industry himself, being a Video Game Musician and programmer, always looking for inspiration to create some lovely tunes. Even if games has been a big part of his life he also enjoys playing the piano, badminton, table tennis and generally socializing with new people.
Edit history:
Edenal: 2013-06-23 08:47:46 am
Hockey enthusiast
Updated with all of you who posted in the thread.

Keep em coming! HYPE!

(Edit: Twitch/Twitter are no included as of yet. Still working on the desing for that!)
Edit history:
TimpZ: 2013-06-23 10:02:56 am
TimpZ: 2013-06-23 10:02:30 am
TimpZ: 2013-06-23 09:18:49 am
Name: Tim Hansson
Nationally/hometown: Helsingborg, Sweden
Twitch: twitch.tv/primat91
Twitter: @TimpZ91
Interests: Music, animation, programming, physics, philosophy and gaming.

My dad bought a Mega Drive shortly after I was born so I'm pretty sure Sonic the Hedgehog is the first game I ever played. The first memory I have of playing games is Sonic 2 at my uncles house when I was about 3 years old though. They both later sold their consoles but my dad got the PC version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and I played that game to death for years.

My parents later split up and I didn't have access to a computer anymore so I was left with playing a SNES that I got for my birthday. I later proceeded to get a Playstation, N64, Gamecube and Wii. I bought the Mega Collection disc I'm using for speedrunning nowadays around 2003 after getting hooked on Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. I saw it on the shelf and got extremely excited because I could finally play the favourite games of my youth while I was saving up for SA2B.

I found SDA around 2006 and was amazed at the Ocarina of Time run in ~5 hours. I downloaded and watched the entire run in one sitting, but I never really got involved in the community because I felt like there was nothing for a 14 year old to add. Around 2008 I found glitch videos of OoT by Runnerguy2489 and proceeded to learn about ZeldaSpeedRuns. I kinda dabbled with learning glitches for a good while but there was some I just couldn't do (because I was on PAL and didn't realise) and I never took it seriously.

In 2010 my interest in SDA was invigorated though because I grew tired of new games. I much more enjoyed my older games and loved to give them extra replayability by learning glitches. I learned of SRL in early 2011 but didn't decide to buy a capture card until late 2011 so I didn't pay much attention to it. At the same time I got some new friends who were into competitive SSBM and even speedruns so I wanted to pick up a game seriously myself. I went with OoT.

It lasted a good couple months, but I grew tired of it. OoT was really fun to mess around in but not to run seriously and I ended up only doing occasional races.

But then I watched Mike89 do a Sonic 3 & Knuckles speedrun at AGDQ12. I didn't even know what AGDQ was, I just visited the site one day and saw the stream on the front page. I looked at the schedule and found some of my favourite games there and ended up watching it the rest of the week. I was stunned at how broken S3K seemed so I finally decided to try and learn it as it is my favourite game to date. Needless to say, I got hooked.

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/WNVJNxb.png (due to popular demand. Alternatives can be found here)

EDIT: Oops too long?
Name: Robert Evans-Pritchard (dat double-barrelled)
Twitch: twitch.tv/rueake
Twitter: @rueake
Interests: Games, Drums, Cycling, Anime
Pic: http://i.imgur.com/gTmhR4w.jpg

Rueake does not mean anything, I simply enjoy messing around with words and after falling in love with the anime Eureka Seven came up with the name by reversing Eureka (Akerue) and swapping the 1st 3 letters with the last 3. I have no idea what's wrong with me either. As far as pronouncing it goes, however you want really (I consider it to be Ru-ah-ki).

I was introduced to the speed-running community around 2010 through an FGC friend and was immediately hooked. I chose some of my childhood games to try running first, beginning with Body Harvest which was an extremely bad idea as the tricks in the game are ridiculous, then had my first chance at properly routing a game with Buck Bumble. As nothing existed already I had to work through the game from scratch, unfortunately I discovered routing a game is more fun than running it XD. Really got into running when the HD release of JSR hit the shelves? Well it hit steam for me at least and I really enjoy running the game and there will be more to come from it too, hopefully.
Name: Fredrik Rödseth
Nationally/hometown: Åhus, Sweden
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dalfen
Interests: Playing games and slacking.

"I am Dalfen. I slack a lot. If I'm not slacking im probably speed running some games or playing some SSBM"

I also used to be a competitive SSBM player(still kinda good at the game).

I have been playing video games for as long as I can remember. The first game I started to speed run was Donkey kong country 2. Later I started to run metroid prime because I love that game. Then Timpz told me about ESA so I decided to actually get good at speed runs. At ESA 2012 I ran Metroid Prime and Rosenkreuzstilette. After ESA I got a couple of WR times in 3 different games: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Otogi: Myth of Demons and RosenkreuzStilette. After a while my times in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and RosenkreuzStilette got beaten.

Nowadays I'm mostly chilling and doing casual speed runs aswell as playing a lot of other games looking for something new to speed run.
Nick: Kotti
Twitch/Twitter/Youtube: thekotti

Around 2007 Kotti saw some Hitman speedruns, realized that he had been playing the games completely wrong and started doing various speed/challenge runs of Blood Money. Since then he's been getting more into speedrunning, mostly playing less known PC games such as Penumbra, Total Overdose and Tunnel Rats. Ironically he's probably best known as "that guy who runs Dark Souls and Octodad" even though he doesn't consider either to be among his main games.

Picture by your_name_here: http://i.imgur.com/e5yMYWWh.jpg
Name: Max
Twitch: twitch.tv/dabigbooi
Picture: http://i.imgur.com/xjsVQgo.jpg
We both like money! Friends?
Name: Joakim
Nationality: Norwegian.
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/KanBan85
Bio: I am a Father of 2 lovely girls, ages 3 and 1. I've studied and majored in math and currently work as a math-teacher at a local high-school. I also spend quite a bit of time on Starbow which is a Starcraft 2 MOD. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=304955

I stared speedrunning Braid (and that's the only game I've ever speedrunned (?) after seeing it fetured on AGDQ 2013 (not too long ago) and thinking: "I can do better than that!" And so I did Wink I enjoy watching speedruns of other games as well, but am not really a hardcore speedrunner like some of the other fine folks on this site Smiley

Pic:
Edit history:
Airrider: 2013-06-24 09:49:50 am
Airrider: 2013-06-23 12:27:53 pm
Airrider: 2013-06-23 12:27:21 pm
Airrider: 2013-06-23 12:24:50 pm
Name: Nils Jutblad
Nickname: Airrider
Interests: Video games (duh), music, art and much more

Info: When Battle Kid was released i thought that it was very cool to see a new platformer for the NES, and so i bought it and loved it. The reason i chose to speedrun it was because i thought that everyone was bad at the game except for me, so i decided to become the best at it. It is my favorite NES game. What i like about speedrunning is that you can compete in both single and multiplayer games with other people all around the world. It becomes more than just personal experiences. I truly love events like ESA where i can meet other people and play video games. It´s great. I´m really looking forward to seeing all the runs at the marathon Smiley

Right now pretty much all i play except for Battle Kid is competitive Super Smash Bros.

Well... That´s me! (or at least a part of myself).

Attachment:
Edit history:
KVD: 2013-06-23 04:02:33 pm
KVD: 2013-06-23 01:01:21 pm
KVD: 2013-06-23 01:00:34 pm
KVD: 2013-06-23 12:53:43 pm
This is pretty awesome Smiley

Name: Karel van Duijvenboden
Nickname: KVD (a.k.a. SMK Machine, a.k.a. Vieraldo)
Interests: Science, football, video games, music, movies

Bio: I started playing Nintendo games in the mid 90's, mostly Mario games, DKCs and International Superstar Soccer Deluxe. Early on I started reading games magazines and was able to beat the submitted records posted there on the first track of SMK. Thinking I was superb at SMK, as soon as internet access became regurarly available for me in 2003, I searched for the World Records of the game. I was flabbergasted and very humbled by the level of the records I discovered. The World Champion at the time, Sami Çetin, showed gaming ability I had never thought imagineable at the time. I felt really inspired by what I had discovered; fast-forward 1.5 years, I became SMK #1 myself. A title I would lose ~3 years later and regain in 2010. Currently I am the #1 of the NTSC version and the #2 of PAL. Most of my competitive videogaming input has been in SMK, but I have also played official tournaments in various of the Pro Evolution Soccer games. In 2007 I attented the first Next Level Gaming (NLG) meeting in Norway, something that was born from the Mario Kart community, but with a broader interest in high skilled gaming. NLG meetings became sort of an annual event since then, which I must say really enriched my life, not only as a gamer. Last summer's meeting was the first one we decided to stream. That was probably the best one. I hope the ESA event will generate that same feeling of hype and epicness for me and actually I have little doubt that it will.

Edit history:
Sunblade: 2013-06-24 06:07:08 am
Sunblade: 2013-06-24 06:05:23 am
Sunblade: 2013-06-24 06:04:44 am
Sunblade: 2013-06-24 06:03:43 am
Only Offense Will Survive
Name: Robert Brandl
Hometown: Aachen, Germany
Twitch: twitch.tv/sunblade89
Twitter: @xxsunbladexx
Pic: http://imgur.com/IhdYAH9

Sunblade first got in contact with speedruns in 2006 when he watched pirate109s Metroid Prime speedrun and tried some speedruns by himself. The gaming communty "Gaming-Elite" from Germany, which was very well known for its database for F-Zero GX and Perfect Dark, inspired him to engage himself into competitive gaming.

After a few big accomplishments in the german e-sports scene and his huge activity in the fighting game community and Mrfixitonline, he got in contact with Resident Evil 4 and Speed Demos Archive. Since 2007 he was able to get the speedrun world record in Resident Evil 4 a few times and he is now one of the strongest speedrunners in the world due to his longstanding experience in this game.
MISHKIN4LIFE
Here is my contribution

Name: Eise Smit
Nickname: eisesmit, admiralsmit, admiral
Interests: science, video games, movies

Bio: Originally from the Netherlands, immigrated to Sweden in June, 2008. Been playing goldeneye, world of warcraft, wave race 64 and Mario kart 64 hard core :P.

At the moment I am working as a digital compositor.

Edit history:
WMJ: 2013-06-23 03:56:15 pm
Name: Wouter Jansen
Hometown: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Twitch: twitch.tv/WMJSpeedruns
Twitter: -
Interests: Science, Video Games, Guitar, Music

Bio: WMJ first got in contact with speedrunning back in 2002 when he was really into the game F-Zero X and looked up competition for it online. To his astonishment he found records and techniques way beyond what he had thought possible in the game, mostly held by JKT at the time. This really showed a great depth to the game which intrigued him and thus began a long 10 years of on and off playing until he would become the overall #1 at the game for a short time (now 2nd) and he submitted his full set of runs to SDA.

While being mostly known for F-Zero X WMJ has actually spend the majority of time speedrunning many other personal favorites of his over the last 10 years or so (first run on SDA was 2005). He has speedruns published on SDA for Star Wars Episode 1: Racer, Shadow Man, F-Zero (SNES), Extreme-G, Ridge Racer Type 4, San Francisco Rush and Wipeout 64.

Note: Even now people sometimes confuse WMJ with another Dutch speedrunner that has the exact same name, Wouter Jansen, and is well known for Goldeneye. It’s quite a coincidence but that is a different person. Probably best to just go by the nickname since the Dutch “ou” is quite exotic anyway :P.

Picture: http://s168.photobucket.com/user/woutermj/media/Wouter.png.html
Edit history:
Svenne: 2013-06-24 01:49:30 am
Svenne: 2013-06-24 01:38:42 am
Svenne: 2013-06-24 01:38:11 am
Svenne: 2013-06-24 12:38:47 am
Svenne: 2013-06-23 11:11:00 pm
Svenne: 2013-06-23 11:06:36 pm
Svenne: 2013-06-23 11:04:17 pm
Smörgåsbord
Name: Andreas Svensson
Hometown: Skövde, Sweden
Twitch: twitch.tv/Svenne1138
Twitter: @DonSvenne
Interests: Movies, Music and Games!

He started playing video-games at the age of three, when he and his sisters got a NES in 1989.

Invented some weird glitches for Mario 2 and Zelda 2. Random teleportation, wrong warps and disappearing doors, stuff like that. Holds the wr on TaleSpin. Started speedrunning in Dec. 2011. Been a fan of speedrunning since 2009. Was made aware of speedrunning and the swedish scene through Ludendi, Frezy_man's gaming community!

Will be speedrunning four games at ESA: Super Mario Bros. 2, North & South, Donkey Kong and TaleSpin.
Speedrunner
Name: Daniel Eriksson
Hometown: Stockholm, Sweden.
Twitch: twitch.tv/dxtrslab
Twitter: dxtrs_lab
Interests: Video Games, Sports and Food!

My first contact speedrunning was with a time attack from a japense player on Super Mario Bros. 3. (Which later turned out to be a tas i think?) Somewhere around 2003. Was absolutely amazed on how someone could make a game look that easy.
Later turned to the gamecube when Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes got released since that version made it easier to speedrun and ive never done i before but i gave it a shot and it turned out ok.
Next game: Resident Evil 5. Meh.

My interest for NES has always been there, i love it, and it is my favourite console.

I figured, why not. Booted up Ninja Gaiden and it crushed me to a pulp....

I'm Batman fyi

--
Use same picture that is on the website. :3