ozzy88: 2013-04-18 03:35:59 am
ozzy88: 2013-04-11 11:45:55 pm
ozzy88: 2013-03-05 08:10:23 am
ozzy88: 2013-03-05 08:09:14 am
ozzy88: 2013-03-05 08:07:56 am
ozzy88: 2013-03-04 10:29:41 am
Travel information:

Flying to Sweden:

If you are planning to fly to Sweden, there are 4 major cities and 6 airports in close proximity to these cities. The cities are Stockholm (Arlanda / Bromma airport), Gothenburg (Landvetter / City Airport), Malmoe (Sturup) and Copenhagen (Kastrup). From selected destinations you might also be able to fly to Växjö (Småland Airport), Jönköping (Axamo Airport) and Linköping (Linköping Airport). And when I say selected destinations I mean like 1-2 (Amsterdam + Copenhagen to Linköping for example).

You might search for cheap tickets at this website. http://www.skyscanner.com

If you can find a flight with Norwegian, Fly Småland, Skyways, City Airlines, Malmö Aviation. That’s good! They are all great airliners with good services (and hopefully good prices…) You should beware of Ryanair, their prices might be lucrative and they are what they are because their flights sometimes land in the middle of nowhere with really bad further connections.

The airports you want to aim for are Arlanda and Kastrup. (City Airport maybe?) Why is that?
It’s because you can board a train without riding the bus to the train station! This is the easiest way to get to the marathon. The train station in Skövde is like 500 meters from the marathon streaming location and less then 100 meters away from the sleeping/casual area.

Landvetter, Sturup and Bromma are all located a few miles outside the city and the connections to the train stations are not as simple. There are “Flightbusses” which will take you to the closes train station, but these tickets have to be bought separate. Not expensive at all, just something to think about if you are really lazy.

When in Sweden. How do I get to Skövde!?

There are three alternatives.

(1) You take a train to Skövde.
(2) You take a bus to Skövde.
(3) You hook up with a Swede who is travelling and car-pool.

(1) You go by train

Tickets are bought online at this website. http://www.sj.se You can pre-order your ticket today but it's recommended that you hold on until 90 days before the marathon. The tickets are cheaper at this point. It's not the best idea to buy a train ticket at the station. First of all it's unreliable and will also cost more then if you pre-order it.

(2) You go by bus.

There are two ways to check for tickets.
Though [url]www.swebuss.se[/url] or through the region/municipality where you will depart from.
Skånetrafiken (Malmoe region) http://www.skanetrafiken.se
Stockholms länstrafik (Stockholm region) http://www.sl.se
Västtrafik (Gothenburg region) http://www.vasttrafik.se

(3) Car-pool.

Look in this thread for a chance to hitch a ride with someone driving to Skövde that could swing by an airport or such and pick you up. Hopefully you can all save a bit of money and get to know each other a little bit on the way to ESA. We will try and structure this nicely at the bottom of this post so it's easy to find who is driving from where and such! (Not limited to people coming from abroad)

Hotels / Hostels in Skövde

Price ranges:
Sharing a hotel-room will be somewhere around 300-400 SEK / night. This includes breakfast.

Sharing a room at a hostel will be somewhere around 200-250 SEK / night.

Sharing a cabin will be somewhere around 150-175 SEK / night.

Currency converter http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Skövde

Here's a simple map made in Paint, Printscreens and logos. http://i.imgur.com/oFYKfPq.png

It will give everyone a good basic idea of where things are near the train station and the sleeping/casual area. Note that this map was zoomed in as far as possible when the printscreen was taken, so all of this is within a very small walking distance! (The Map WILL get updated in the future to cover the new streaming area!)

Explanations:
1 = Nyeport (Streaming and Practice)
Garfield = Sleeping and casual gaming (The House of Culture)
Willy:s = Supermarket
Western Union = Money exchange in case you need SEK
Clarion Collection = Hotel
Hotel Skövde = obv. Hotel
Scandic = also hotel
Train = The train station, where most of you guys will arrive
Pizza = Pizza places
$ = ATM machines
Knife+Fork = Various Restaurants
Netto = Supermarket
Shoppingbags = Mall

There's also a few more hotels and such that is further away and not listed on this map.

Additional map made by icedpingu -> http://i.imgur.com/dnJPHe4.png

Costs/Entrance fee

This is covered in this thread: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/european_speedster_assembly_2013__signup_thread.html

Money exchange

Alko has a pretty sweet deal:

Quote from Alko:
Posting this now, before I forget. Please feel free to link and/or quote in the first post

(Re-) Introducing Alko's Euro to Krones exchange booth.
I'm sure many of you are facing the problem, that you pay in Euros at home, and are forced to use Krones in Skövde. Like last year, I am offering to exchange that money for you. The procedure is deadly simple: You PM me asking for money, we meet at the beginning of ESA, you hand me your Euros and get your Krones Wink
So why would you do this? Because I have a wonderful bank that will give me foreign money for the best exchange rates available on the free market, without any hidden fees or anything. Unless the price of Krones plummets between me visiting that bank and arriving in Skövde, it'll probably not be cheaper to get them anywhere else.
Please observe the deadline: Post that PM by the 30th of June. Just so I can organise the rest Wink
Please also note that I only accept Euros and only deal Krones.

There are plenty of banks in Skövde where you can exchange your money if you perfer that or have a different currency then Euros.

Car-pools

If you are going to Sweden by car or within Sweden, please tell us if you can pick up someone else on the way in this thread.

PM the ones you want to fix your car-pool with. When you've solved that, PM ozzy88 or Crippe so that we can remove the now occupied spots.

jatenk, 2 spots, Hamburg - Malmoe/Sturup - Skövde

I will do everything to be able to come and very likely come by car. I start in Hamburg, Germany and take the route over the bridge from denmark to sweden. If anyone lives nearby that route and wants to hop in just shout out loud.

I don't mind picking up people anywhere as long as they pay the fuel and kilometers if it's a rented car (perhaps I'll be able to borrow one, then it'd be only the fuel), and a little extra if it's a major detour.
For anyone too lazy to look it up themselves: The hostel will cost you 600€ in total for the entire week for a double room (which means 300€ per person) and ca. 560€ for a single room.
Oh, and I'll very likely bring my girlfriend which means there's one seat less in whatever car (I could rent one depending on how much people I'll have driving with me). And while she's a low average casual player in most games she's pretty good in Super Mario World Wink

KennyMan666, 1 spot, Gothenburg - Skövde (15th)

So, as I've previously stated, I'm going to have a car this year. The plan is to leave Gothenburg at about 12:00 on the 15th. The initial planning was for me, Wery and Jinny, but after talking about what we would bring, I've realized that there's going to be absolutely no problem at all to bring at least one more passenger and probably even two because this car is quite big, but it depends.

But, for the time being, one spot in a car leaving Gothenburg at 12:00 on Monday the 15th, which means we should be arriving in Skövde between 14:00 and 15:00, up for grabs.

If you have any questions you can put them in this thread or PM Crippe or ozzy88!
Thread title:  
meh
Taking first again in case I need it.
Precursor
I'm disappointed in you, ozzy. You didn't mark Kebab House on that map.
meh
That's actually my map. And don't worry, it will be on the new one Smiley
I will do everything to be able to come and very likely come by car. I start in Hamburg, Germany and take the route over the bridge from denmark to sweden. If anyone lives nearby that route and wants to hop in just shout out loud.
Edit history:
ozzy88: 2013-03-04 07:08:10 am
ozzy88: 2013-03-04 07:06:56 am
Jatenk, when you get to Sweden you will be more or less in Malmoe. Would you be willing to take the detour and grab people at the airport (Sturup) and/or from the city somewhere?

Here is a picture showing you where the airport is (the yellow/black marker) and where Malmoe is (the red square). http://i.imgur.com/Ab6rbil.png

Edit:

I don't know what route you'll take from there to Skövde, but if you pass by Gothenburg as well, then the same question applies. Smiley
Hockey enthusiast
If you are going by car. Gothenburg is a major detour. Also, there are plenty of train connections.

I think the best way is to follow Highway E6 to Helsingborg, switch to Highway E4 to Jonkoping then switch again to road 26 and you should end up in Skövde!
Speedrunner
I will drive from Stockholm and will be able to pick up 1 maybe 2 people depending on my gear that I will bring. Let's say 1 for now.
Edit history:
jatenk: 2013-03-04 07:25:13 am
jatenk: 2013-03-04 07:22:50 am
I don't mind picking up people anywhere as long as they pay the fuel and kilometers if it's a rented car (perhaps I'll be able to borrow one, then it'd be only the fuel), and a little extra if it's a major detour.
For anyone too lazy to look it up themselves: The hostel will cost you 600€ in total for the entire week for a double room (which means 300€ per person) and ca. 560€ for a single room.
Oh, and I'll very likely bring my girlfriend which means there's one seat less in whatever car (I could rent one depending on how much people I'll have driving with me). And while she's a low average casual player in most games she's pretty good in Super Mario World Wink
Edit history:
TimpZ: 2013-03-04 07:55:45 am
I think that people who land at Sturup should definitely get a head start, but otherwise me and a friend are probably pretty interested in coming with you jatenk.

Otherwise, if anyone in Skåne need any help, just come to me as I've gotten a lot of experience in traveling to Jönköping the last 7 months ;).

EDIT: Actually I'll just write whatever I have to say here because it's not that much anyways.

So generally the cheapest alternative is to go by bus, just follow the links in the OP.

If you want to go by train, start checking SJ about a month or so in advance. Sometimes the tickets are as low as 200sek but you can usually find one for ~300.

Late and can't find good prices? Go local! SJ has the most retarded pricing system ever so the reliably best way is probably to go and pay for a "Skånekort", take the "Öresundstågen" to Alvesta (~120SEK), then jump on to a train to Jönköping (~90SEK) and from there continue to Skövde (I'm guessing ~90SEK too). The thing here is that you can pay on the train itself and since you're obviously aren't used to this system, just wait until someone comes to check for tickets and pay with your Skånekort. With some luck, they don't ;).

One link you also should know about is http://jlt.se/ which is the regional traffic in and around Jönköping and it covers most if not all trains in and out of Skövde. I don't know if Skövde has its own regional traffic page, Crippe?
meh
Yes they do. http://www.vasttrafik.se/en/
For whatever reason they don't have everything translated to English. But this page shows all busses and trains in the region.
I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer;

1. Would it be better to get a plane to Gothenburg or Stockholm?
2. Where is the 'sleeping area'? What hotel is it? How many people per room?
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2013-03-04 10:51:36 am
Precursor
Gothenburg, probably. You'd have to change buses/trains once either way. Going via Gothenburg looks to be cheaper and is roughly one hour less of ground travel by train. Though the opening post claims you can get a train directly Arlanda-Skövde. I'm going to call [citation needed] on that!

The sleeping area is across the street from the train station. It's not a hotel, it's more like a community center. It's not individual rooms, just a few large spaces where you can sleep on whatever you have to sleep on. (there are some couches and the like.)
@Jatenk:
I'm from Vienna, Austria, and taking a flight to Hamburg would be half the price than to any of the airports in Denmark/Sweden. Would you be willing to pick me up from Hamburg's airport?
Of course, I am willing to share travel costs with you, cause I don't think it'd be more than the 100+ €. Smiley
Thanks KennyMan666. I've looked up plane flights from London to Gothenburg and found one with Norwegian for £136 there and back which is pretty good!
I just wouldn't know how to get the train from Gothenburg to Skovde or how much it would cost. Oh I see. So it's not a hotel but you hire rooms in which we'd use to sleep in? How much would it be? As main post says hotel room is 300-400 SEK, hostel is 200-250 SEK and cabin is 150-175 SEK.
@RedArremer: I'd love to, but can't make any promises yet. I have to confess I wouldn't have enough money for this but I will try to gather as much money as possible. I'll post here if I'll be able to come hopefully in less then a few days.
Edit history:
RedArremer: 2013-03-04 11:11:18 am
@jatenk:
Gotcha. I'll be checking out other options just in case. :3
Thanks in any case.
Edit history:
ozzy88: 2013-03-04 11:26:45 am
Quote:
1. Would it be better to get a plane to Gothenburg or Stockholm?

I don't think it matters that much. It depends how you get from there to Skövde too. You might be able to ride with dxtr for example if you land in Stockholm. 

Quote:
2. Where is the 'sleeping area'? What hotel is it? How many people per room?

The sleeping area is going to be in the house of culture, it's right next to the train station. If you look at the map in the OP, it's marked with a Mario icon (for now). It's not a hotel. There are no rooms. Just one big area for you to have your mattress or similar at.

EDIT:

I think we'll be able to put up some pictures of how the sleeping area and the streaming/practice area look like...
Quote from KennyMan666:
Though the opening post claims you can get a train directly Arlanda-Skövde. I'm going to call [citation needed] on that!

This post was made from an old one, didn't think about that part that hard, going to edit that out if it's not true...
meh
I can't find any pictures of the sleeping room. And currently that part of the building is closed due to renovations (which will be done before July), so i don't know if I can go there to take photos atm. But if someone from the previous ESA has some photos from the sleeping room feel free to share.

And yeah, bring stuff to sleep on if you plan on sleeping at the venue.
Precursor
idk, when I check SJ, I'm only getting routes that go first to Stockholm C from Arlanda and then Skövde from there.
Yea you should probably cover more in-depth how to cover the whole sleeping bit in the OP. I personally didn't have a sleeping bag but it was ok because there was a bunch of sofas to use. Are there no back-up sofas here then? It's just the big practise room floor from last year? Is the stage-area still available (since it had a lot of sofas there).

Yea, any information about sleep should def. be covered more in the OP.
meh
I don't know if the sofas in Loke (sleeping room) will be there or not. I think they belonged to Neo (organization) and Neo is moving to Nyeport (stream location) as soon as it opens. So if the sofas are there or not, I don't know at the moment.

I have been in contact with the guy that handles all the booking for the rooms, so I'll make sure to ask about that next time I talk to him. Still some stuff that needs to be taken care of.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
One more very viable option for anyone coming from Germany or just around:
Take a train for the whole journey. Yes, this sounds stupid for a multitude of reasons (sitting forever, probably expensive), BUT:
-> There's a very comfortable night train departing Zurich via (most importantly) Mannheim and Frankfurt central stations destined for Copenhagen. From there on, you can catch an X2000 to Nässjö C and a regional train to Skövde. It will be in Copenhagen at something like 10 a.m, so you have plenty of time to wake up. The cost for me last year was double digits for a round trip to Nässjö. Try to book early-ish. Mannheim can easily be reached from anything in southern Germany in reasonable amounts of time.
One disadvantage of this rout is, that DB will only sell you a ticket to Nässjö. (They only sell tickets for people entering Sweden from Denmark and as far as a train will take them without changing trains. So Gothenburg is in, Stockholm is in, Malmö and Nässjö are two, but you need to change at least once for Skövde .__.)

-> I've heard, there's also a night train from Berlin to Malmö (?) I have no information on that one or how easy it is to use, though.

I haven't yet, but I will do, look into options for those from the northern half of Germany to take the whole route by train. Seriously, there are two bridges with tremendous views you would be missing Wink
Reverse Death Valley Bomb
I don't know if it's worth making official yet because it's so early but a couple of Brits and I are planning to meet at Stanstead airport again to take Ryanair to Gothenburg, we'll then meet at Gothenburg Central Station with a German and potentially a Swede or 2. If anyone's interested to join us and we'll make it a party then let me know, I might even make a thread later. If not then you can count me as worth consulting for travel from the UK to Skovde ^^