hahahhaha great!
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2013-04-25 04:02:08 pm
KennyMan666: 2013-04-25 04:01:37 pm
KennyMan666: 2013-04-25 02:34:02 pm
KennyMan666: 2013-04-25 02:25:51 pm
KennyMan666: 2013-04-25 02:10:27 pm
Precursor
Good news: Way to save three minutes in Ufouria found.

Bad news: You have one shot at pulling it off right before the penultimate boss and it takes a minute to go back and try again.

Edit with best news: I found a cue for getting it consistently. Thank god for emulators and practicing with savestates. This should, in theory, push any% down to under 34 minutes. That 50 minute estimate is looking even more ridiculous now that 100% should be pushed below 46 minutes... good thing I didn't send any of my recorded runs because this is the biggest find since the switch glitch.

And I found some other uses for the trick. None as significant - one that saves probably about 3 seconds, and one that I don't think really saves any time at all but looks cooler than doing it the standard way. Cheesy
Personal text
So.. was going for sub-40 today... then this happend on my last run:

http://imgur.com/Wx418dq

It's like something is taunting me Tongue
Quote from KVD:
Coming Friday we will have a ESA preparation mini marathon in the house of gaming, Utrecht the Netherlands.
We will host it on the NLG stream: http://www.twitch.tv/nlg_organisation

We will all train for our ESA slot (among other things GoldenEye, DKCR & SMK) and do some bonus stuff afterwards.

The schedule is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnMdUx7QUl-PdFFkMVBKRzl5T2oyaHZZNi05Z2JQVHc&output=html

If anyone is up for watching, see you next Friday!

We are going to start now!
Quote from Jokaah:
So.. was going for sub-40 today... then this happend on my last run:

http://imgur.com/Wx418dq

It's like something is taunting me Tongue

It happens to the best of us.
If it makes you feel any better Jokaah, you made my morning today! XD

Also, exciting stuff Kennyman!
Practice times from the NLG crew last Friday:

Super Mario Kart: 34"12 (good!)
Bubble Bobble: 1'06"25 (Meridian's PR is sub 1h)
F-Zero X: 46"08 (1 crash, could have been PR)
dr Mario: 39"17 (little below avg)
Donkey Kong Country Returns: 1'40"58 (incredible..)
GoldenEye007: 28"24 (bad run, 3 lvls to redo)
Wipeout 64: 17"40 (ok)
Edit history:
Partystar: 2013-04-29 01:45:49 pm
I just got back from the ESA practice marathon. It was awesome!

For those interested, the recorded stream of our mini marathon can be watched here:
http://www.twitch.tv/nlg_organisation/b/395993647
and
http://www.twitch.tv/nlg_organisation/b/396132344
Personal text
Well, it seems like dxtr's practice is going well Roll Eyes
Personal text
OK, this is even more hilarious, I've never seen BEAT miss this much... http://www.twitch.tv/jokaah/c/2226114
Edit history:
TimpZ: 2013-04-30 04:43:42 pm
TimpZ: 2013-04-30 04:43:05 pm
Just did a Sonic 3 & Knuckles run without practise or anything for the first time in weeks. I got about 57-58 minutes with several deaths and mistakes, however I also got 2 major glitches (that you only got 1 shot at and are really hard, out of about 6-7 that I'm going for altogether) that together saves about 4-5 minutes.

Right now, assuming I get a perfect run with all skips it should be around 45-50 minutes. A good run with some skips would be 50-55 and a bad run but with some skips sub 1 hour. For reference if I didn't waste time at all trying to get any glitches and went glitchless it would probably land pretty nicely at 1 hour exactly or maybe a minute below.

However, I do waste time trying for glitches, and right now I feel that 5-10 minutes might be added for security and setup. If nothing else I could try and plan to show some funny glitch like last year if I got spare time. I will continue to practise more though and give updates on my progress.

EDIT: I could plan out a "safe marathon route" to get sub 1 hour consistently, but I feel it would be more fun to waste time trying for glitches to a reasonable degree. But doing that would possibly put me close to or above the 1h limit. That's all I'm considering right now.
Personal text
Finally, 39:58 MM5.
Was a really up-and-down run though and I ended up being pretty much even right before the last boss, but Beat behaved a little bit better this time.

I also got a 13:46 (or :53, depeding on how you time it) Darkwing Duck right after Tongue
I can really recommend a mini marathon to anyone who has friends joining ESA too. Other people can point out things you might not have noticed yourself. For example, during the last few levels of my runs I normally couldn't feel my presses on the button anymore. One of the other runners, pointed out that the wrist cord of my Wii mote might be too tight on my wrist causing the problem. It's pretty common sense but I didn't thought of it myself.
Improvement! I got a 18:10 game-time run of Sonic 2 which is a new PB :D! The worst stages were Carnival Night 1 & 2 and Wing Fortress, which combined lost me maybe about a minute game-time. In comparison with Stanski's old 18:12 SDA run, I did one extra zip in Metro 2 so overall the quality of gameplay was pretty close in the other stages. I'm aiming to sub 17-16:30 before ESA so it'll be interesting.
I got 20:41 the other day! I am getting consistent with the run now.

I had one of the worst runs for a long time yesterday and still kept it under 24mins. (And that had so many deaths)

So, overall not too shabby.
Hockey enthusiast
It's great to see so many of us taking major steps forward!

But there are also alot of runners who have not posted once since we game suggestion topic. We would love to hear about your runs and your progress!
Edit history:
Joka: 2013-05-06 12:50:31 pm
Personal text
I just beat my old Darkwing Duck run by about 13 seconds --> ~13:40
Edit history:
Partystar: 2013-05-11 10:29:29 pm
Just got a new pr with Donkey Kong Country Returns: 1h39m01s. Though actually a few seconds faster. I was running to my computer and saw 1:38:58. And from being nervous it takes a while to grab the mouse and hit the split button and be precautious not to hit the clear button.
I died once and I was way too nervous throughout the run because I was subbing my splits early on in the game by pretty large margins. And when being nervous the last few levels can very tricky. Furthermore, I bought extra shakes and lost one because I died when using it.
Did yet a marathon run of sorts for Castlevania: Symphony of the OMG GET INSIDE THE WALL U....night. Choked pretty badly at the new parts (getting to Fairy) but handled the rest decently. It was a 24min run or so.

Will be busy with IRL stuff for some time now tho. Might get together with WERY, KennyMan, Jinny and others for a day of speedrunning or something of that nature if we can find the time.
Edit history:
Joka: 2013-05-16 02:43:18 am
Personal text
Bored at work, so here's another practice update for me:

Darkwing: PB: 13:39 (no video), Estimate: 20:00, Status: Not that worried.
Nemo: PB: 26:04, Estimate: 40:00, Status: I hate the penguin boss.
Chip 'N Dale: PB: 10:27/13:30(?), Estimate: 15:00, Status: Needs more practice. It's on my todo-list.
Mega Man 5: PB: 39:18, Estimate: 50:00, Status: I think I finally have some (more or less) stable strats for all the stages. Now to practice the flashy stuff! Just a quick question: If I happen to soft-lock the game.. is it ok to password back to were I was, or do I actually need to reset completely? Tongue
Passwords are usually allowed so we don't mess up the schedule.
Hockey enthusiast
Quote from Jokaah:
Bored at work, so here's another practice update for me:

Darkwing: PB: 13:39 (no video), Estimate: 20:00, Status: Not that worried.
Nemo: PB: 26:04, Estimate: 40:00, Status: I hate the penguin boss.
Chip 'N Dale: PB: 10:27/13:30(?), Estimate: 15:00, Status: Needs more practice. It's on my todo-list.
Mega Man 5: PB: 39:18, Estimate: 50:00, Status: I think I finally have some (more or less) stable strats for all the stages. Now to practice the flashy stuff! Just a quick question: If I happen to soft-lock the game.. is it ok to password back to were I was, or do I actually need to reset completely? Tongue

This is what we all love to see! Good job!
I've gotten several Quake runs that have been closing to beating my best (14:27 real time). I even managed to get a run once where I beat it by 7 seconds but I had to restart a level. My Half-Life runs have consistantly been under 40 mins.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Totally not stealing Jokaah's format:
Asterix and Obelix: Practice time today: 41:37 (Asterix; selecting game to bull hitting the final wooden wall) PB: Since I've only really timed two runs, I'll take that 41:37. Estimate: 55:00. Status: Yup. Comment: That run was pretty not-perfect. Four stupidly stupid deaths, a suboptimal rugby match and the final two worlds need to be practised to avoid getting Rane'd. Still well under estimate. Might need to do more Obelix.
Goof Troop: Yeah, I'll brush off the rust by June ^^'
Edit history:
KanBan85: 2013-05-16 10:53:11 pm
We both like money! Friends?
Braid:

I did not know I was actually going to be attending when I suggested I could speedrun Braid, so I have not been doing a whole lot of speedrunning lately. I will practice more now Smiley My best run atm is about 32 min, which is not too good.

There has been A LOT of development in speedrunning Braid the last 5 months or so and some of the tricks are quite difficult and others were doing them so much better so I never even bothered to learn them. Now I will do my best to learn them so they can be showcased at ESA Smiley This should cut me back closer to 30 min (WR is sub 25 min atm which is incredible, seing there was a TAS run last year with the same time, and we thought that was the final cap)

To sum up: I have not praticed much lately, but will start again and learn as many coll / good tricks as possible to get a good run. I should probably also get a x-box controller but... meh....