List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Llyno87: 2014-02-12 01:45:23 pm
Llyno87: 2014-02-12 01:44:28 pm
Llyno87: 2014-02-12 01:43:41 pm
My thoughts on spell creating/menu'ing:

Currently with the few runs I have attempted, it seems like creating the spells only when you absolutely need them is the way to go, and that if you can get away with 3 point spells, then that's even better. The few exceptions to when I've needed more powerful spells are:

1) 7 point magic attack spell vs the guardian boss fight. (I'm still playing around with whether or not to go for the mana pot, at the moment I grab it as it makes the boss fight super quick)
2) Any time a summon zombie or horror is necessary to progress.
3) Considering I just found out about the Chattur'gha infinite sprint-thing, maybe Edward's chapter and alex's chapter to get through the rune area
4) I use a 5 point shield spell at Bianchi and then a 7 point shield at Alex's chapter
5) Whenever you need a more power reveal invisible spell to progress. (Like 3 occasions I can think of)
6) When ever you need a more powerful dispel. (Maybe 4 or 5 time I can think of here)

But other than that I normally just stick to 3 point enchant/recover and I don't use much else.
As far as quick spelling I go:
Up: 3 point enchant (dominant color)
Left: 3 point Red recover (shouldn't need, but it's a safety net)
Down: 3 point Green recover (I feel like a SS run is gonna be about sanity management)
Right: 3 point Magic attack (phase 3 of boss fight)/5 point shield (dominant color)
Y: 7 point magic attack Phase 1 and 2 of boss fight)/ red mana pool (haven't tested this out yet, but in theory)

Llyno
Edit history:
Uilnslcoap: 2014-02-12 02:59:15 pm
F*ckin' sanity effects...
5-point spells you definitely need:
Dispel Magic
Reveal Invisible
Summon Zombie

5-point spell you probably need because it's most efficient, etc.:
Shield

You can make an argument for Recover as an insurance policy, but most times using a pool to recover health/sanity will do the job unless you need a quick, instant boost.

7-point spells you definitely need:
Enchant (for Michael's bomb and to quickly get past Vampire using the pistol and to kill Pious quickly with the shotgun)
Reveal Invisible
Dispel Magic
Shield (seriously, try doing Alex's chapter without it)
Attack (you can get past all three parts of the Chapter 9 boss with one of these, you don't need to use 3-point attack spells, you just need quick reflexes, especially if you're using the magic elixir/mana pot, could see the argument for using 5-point spells for the third portion if you're having trouble with getting the spell off fast enough)
Summon Horror
Pool (for running around as Edward/Alex)
Bind (for the horrors behind shield walls in Michael/Alex)

There's an argument to be made for Recover for getting all your sanity back fast in Alex's chapter, especially SS since you could get a sanity effect while it's building back up if you use a pool.

Some fairly serious mistakes I made in my run that should be corrected:

Used too many spells in Lindsey's chapter, spiralout used fewer in his with a combo of red shield/green recover

Used sanity recovers in Roberto's chapter when you could probably use a sanity pool and just figure out the run/walk pattern

Used sanity recover in Alex's chapter when I could have used a sanity pool
twitch.tv/pandaneversleeps
Hey guys, I finally have a night off work so I'll find out tonight if my Chat file adds in or not. Here's to hoping!

I'm finding very quickly that I absolutely DESPISE Micheal's chapter. THOSE REAPERS MAN...

Also, Mantorok Pool allows for infinite run just as Chat Pool does, with the added benefit of sanity recovery, and I think a SLIGHT, mana regen increase while active. I figure you guys probably knew this already, but on the off chance you didn't I'm saying it anyway. I feel like there isn't much of a reason to not cast mainly Mantorok Spells throughout the game unless there is a need for a specific alignment.

Anyway I'll probably post again when I find out if my Chat Save pools into my Xel Finish Data.

P.S. I got kinda off track with the color option... Sorry
OMG IT WORKED! GUYS IT FUCKING WORKED! One playthrough left to go!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!! I'm so excited!!!
Just played through the Pious segment and reduced my time down to 6:13! The cutscene still had to play out but other than that it was a decent run! My menus are getting cleaner but my text boxes could still use vast improvement, as well as my attacking the statue.
Also since we are talking about necessary spells and such, as I go through this playthrough, I'll take note of all the spells that are ABSOLUTELY necessary to complete that game.
Really glad the save file thing worked out!

The reason you don't get/use the Mantorok rune (unless you were going for some kind of 100% playthrough) is because it takes way too long to double back and get it (you have to go all the way to the room with the Summon rune and then all the way back up a level in Lindsey's chapter).

Spells needed

3-point: Enchant Item, Reveal Invis, Dispel Magic, Summon Trapper (Pool and Magic Attack and probably Shield you realistically need for practicality, but if you were going to try to cast as few spells as possible, you don't really NEED them--it just doesn't save time not to use them, Recover you would probably create for an SS because of possible health emergencies or sanity management)

For 5 and 7-point spells, see a few posts up.
I guess I don't really see why not on a 100% run. The issue really being that the path is extremely linear and would just be a longer any% run :D.
I'm not really sure what a 100% run would be.  I guess "all codices, all spell scrolls, Mantorok rune, enchanted Gladius"?  It doesn't sound that exciting, you're right, Llyno, just seems like a slightly longer any%.
Yeah, that's all it would be...

Is the enchanted gladius even really worth it?
OH GUYS THAT TRAPPER IN KARIM'S CHAPTER, I HATE IT. SERIOUSLY THAT FUCKING THING IS THE BANE OF MY ENTIRE EXISTENCE.
Edit history:
Uilnslcoap: 2014-02-17 10:03:12 am
Yeah, that trapper sucks, probably only about 50% of the time or less did I get by it in segmented.  I'd probably use the chakra (sp?) range weapon there in an SS run to kill the stupid thing.

EDIT: "chakram"
Enchanted Gladuis isn't worth it, just because you have to go out of your way to get all 3 pieces and place them on in a room you don't need to be in. The trapper does suck, in a sense it can be a run killer just because using the ranged doesn't always target it immediately.
Nice to see some new blood! Yeah, well, I run SS.
So wait who all is currently running this game now? Me, Lyno, Ulin isn't still running right?
You, me, and Zwajken, it seems. Uilnslcoap is retired (at least at the moment).
Yeah, I'm definitely not in the SS game anytime soon, though all the new interest has me considering another segmented run more and more (but I've been saying that for like two years).  I would find/demonstrate at least a couple new things in the run that might be helpful to SS runners, too.  Have a big job interview coming up.  After that's over, I MIGHT start doing segmented attempts in the evening after my kid goes to sleep.
Edit history:
DK28: 2014-02-19 03:51:45 pm
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
And I'm here waiving a huge flag of support. 

Uilnslcoap should get back in the game, I run after my kids go to bed too...
Haha, I know you have kids, DK.  Much respect.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Thanks Uilnscoap, hype for you doing segmented again.  This game needs love.  I would be interested to watch you or anybody else streaming it.
Well I caught Zwajken, live a few days ago, learned a lot. I also stream pretty regularly on it... still getting a little frustrated with the runs.
Thanks for the support DK!

I found out that in all actuality you only have to run through the game once on whichever desired path in order to run it. All you have to do is complete Xel'lotath path, start new game, and DO NOT carry end game data into new game. It will recognize that you have seen the cutscenes before and let you skip them.

I am still going to finish my Ulayoth playthrough however as I have never seen the true ending.

All that being said, I have practiced my Pious seg. a bit and have brought it down from 6:28 to a much better 4:43

Things are finally looking up in terms of future streaming as well, I'll soon have a car and then I will still have enough money after to buy an amazing computer (possibly custom built) and then I can begin streaming. I'm really looking forward to this.

PS The later chapters can go fuck themselves.
I have a question based on splits. I was watching Zwajken, and he splits pre ending cutscene, is there a reason for that? I do when the screen goes black before it cuts to Alex reading from the book.
I doubt it matters as long as you have the correct starting point (when the camera finishes the swoop and you can start to move Alex around in her nightmare) and end point (after you pick the "Protect" rune as ghost-Edward after the boss fight), at least if you're going by SDA timing.  If I ever do an SS run, I'm going to use when the camera shows Alex after the end of the chapter and you get that creepy music cue.
So you don't start your timer until you can control alex? I always started as soon as the hymn cue'd in on the black screen. The reason why I did that was to mimic cosmo and sig on their respective games.