--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Svenne: 2012-10-07 03:17:17 pm
Smörgåsbord
We the runners at ESA2012 felt like it would not be too early to start talking ESA2013!

Some links that might be helpful!

ESA 2012 Retrospective: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/esa_2012_retrospective.html

Evaluation ESA 2012: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/esa2012__evaluation_.html

Fire away!
Thread title:  
Speedrunner
I think everything that needs to be said is in the evaluation thread.
Maybe we can sum up the most important parts in this thread.

Either than that, ESA 2012 was a success. I cant see why we wouldnt do it again.

Im guessing that the first question to be asked: Are we going to have it in Sweden again?
Precursor
You can count on me!

The primary thing to decide would of course be the date, and I want to suggest that we take early summer this time, so SGDQ can once again be the late summer marathon. A week or two into the summer vacation.
Definitely gonna be there. I'd personally like to use the same venue as ut has now been proven to be very good but don't have any objections if an equally good place is found from a more central area.
Hockey enthusiast
I want to know about the following:

Is Skövde good for another marathon? Or does anyone a suggestion for an alternative location?

Date:
Quote from mikwuyma:
About SGDQ 2013, I know Essentia and I both agreed on a late June/early July date range. I would suggest having your marathon in April or early May if you don't want to conflict too much with SGDQ.

I don't know if this is still accurate since Essentia is expecting another child in May. (Congraulations!) I've not spoken to either Essentia or Mike about this, this is pure speculation.
Quote from poxnor:
Final Fantasy marathon: 16-17 March 2013

Where does ESA, or a marathon on European soil fit in? Should SGDQ move to Skövde this year? Considering the cheap rent, accommodation that could very much make up for traveling costs or any none Swedish attendees. Or should ESA be kept separate from official SDA marathons?
The Speedrunning Teacher
Quote from Edenal:
Quote from mikwuyma:
About SGDQ 2013, I know Essentia and I both agreed on a late June/early July date range. I would suggest having your marathon in April or early May if you don't want to conflict too much with SGDQ.

I don't know if this is still accurate since Essentia is expecting another child in May. (Congraulations!) I've not spoken to either Essentia or Mike about this, this is pure speculation.

This may still be possible as I am looking into other potential hosting locations in Utah for SGDQ (including my house). Around late June/early July still is the prime time for SGDQ as far as I know. I wouldn't expect there to be any finalized dates until after AGDQ 2013 though.
Quote from Kotti:
I'd personally like to use the same venue as ut has now been proven to be very good but don't have any objections if an equally good place is found from a more central area.

I totally agree!

If a better place is found somewhere else that's where it should take place.

Quote from Edenal:
I want to know about the following:

Is Skövde good for another marathon? Or does anyone a suggestion for an alternative location?

I think Skövde was great. Finding a similarly good place with reasonable prices could be very hard. Maybe if someone are part of a community that would accept us using their place for this or knows some place cheap. I mean we already tried to do this before and failed. I'm not saying we shouldn't keep an open mind about it but deciding against Skövde already would be a mistake in my opinion.

Quote from Edenal:
Date:
Quote from mikwuyma:

Quote from poxnor:

Where does ESA, or a marathon on European soil fit in? Should SGDQ move to Skövde this year? Considering the cheap rent, accommodation that could very much make up for traveling costs or any none Swedish attendees. Or should ESA be kept separate from official SDA marathons?

If moving SGDQ 2013 to Skövde is something the runners across the pond would consider at all, I'd say let's get the discussion going right now. I would be very pleased if we could have the next marathon any off us attend in Europe, be an official part of the SDA community as 95% of us are associated with this community. Although, if the means to make this happen is through Ludendi would that still be an issue that would shoot it down? Because that is what I vaguely remember as a reason for not having ESA be an SDA event.

If we are kept separate from SDA because of choosing to have a marathon in Skövde, then I guess we'll just try and fit in between the two marathons with the longest time between them or something like that.

And:
I can't really say that I'll be coming next year since I don't know where I'll be in life. I will most definitely try to go there if I can afford so and am able to take those weeks off.
The Duce
ESA could be in Skövde or Gothenburg I'd say. The benefit with Skövde is that you got access to a good place for holding the event, and there is plenty of room for everyone. What can be better till next year is the promotion and I would like to help you with that, by giving hints on sites where you should post threads about it to get the event out to the public of gamers

Once done with the arrangements, promote the event on these sites:

NesDB.se (Nintendo community in Sweden)
Vintagegames.se (Home Computer community in Sweden)
Arkadtorget.se (Arcade community in Sweden)
PALrocks.nl (Nintendo community in Holland)
Retro1.no (Gaming community in Norway)
NESretro.com (Nintendo community in Finland)
NintendoAge.com (Nintendo community in USA)
AtariAge.com (Atari community in USA)
Lemon64.com (Commodore 64 community  in Europe, Australia and North America)
LemonAmiga.com (Amiga community in Europe, Australia and North America)
TwinGalaxies.com (Gaming community in USA)
Sega-16.com (Mega Drive/Genesis community International)
SegaAge.com (Sega community in USA)
FamicomWorld.com (Famicom community International)
Neo-Geo.com (AES/MVS community International)
NeoGeoForLife.com (AES/MVS community in Europe)
Loading.se (Gaming community in Sweden)
Assemblergames.com (Hardware-hacking community International)
Acidmods.com (Hardware-hacking community International)
SealedGameHeaven.com (Factorysealed-Game-Collecting community International)
Spelsamling.se (Collector&Gamer community in Sweden)
Flashback.org (Biggest community in Sweden)
Precursor
Oh, I didn't know that about the next SGDQ date. Maybe late August is still the best option for us, then.
Dog
Hello, i am a good friend of Cypryss from the previous ESA. He told about what ESA is and i saw him at the last ESA doing spyro 2. I told him i would go to ESA 2013. I am very interested in attending this marathon and there is a high chance i will show up if the date is not too late. My school year started on the day ESA 2012 started, so if you could make the date late june to around the first of august it would be much appriciated. However one person obviously is not enough to change the date, but take it to consider. Thanks.
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2012-10-05 07:19:14 am
KennyMan666: 2012-10-05 06:23:11 am
KennyMan666: 2012-10-05 06:19:55 am
Precursor
Late June isn't happening if SGDQ is late June/early July. I'd recommend against the last weekend in July as well as there's a big geek convention here in Sweden then. Second or third weekend of August is probably my best suggestion at this point in time, but it depends on what happens with the SGDQ planning.

I still wouldn't be averse to a more central European location, but the benefit of Skövde is that the venue is so cheap, so that could make up for a bit of increades traveling costs for people. idk.

Quote from WERY:
Loading.se (Gaming community in Sweden)

Me and dxtr got that one covered!
Dog
But you said SGDQ could happen around late June/early July. If so why not take late july? I might be uninformed but the chance is low i'll show up if its mid august.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Wow, you guys started early =O
Quote from KennyMan666:
I want to suggest that we take early summer this time, so SGDQ can once again be the late summer marathon. A week or two into the summer vacation.

Pls comment in terms of months. A week or two into summer holidays was exactly the timeframe ESA12 had from a Bavarian point of view Wink

Quote from mikwuyma:

Quote from poxnor:

These two! Consider!

Quote from Edenal:
Where does ESA, or a marathon on European soil fit in? Should SGDQ move to Skövde this year? Considering the cheap rent, accommodation that could very much make up for traveling costs or any none Swedish attendees.

I'm in favour of connecting the two if that's okay with the organisers across the pond.

Also what Ozzy said.

You can definitely count me in *nyaa~*, as I've got a cosplay dept to pay =D Also Nev will be forced, if he doesn't come by himself Wink

I liked the mid-August timeframe, and I'ld vote for using it again, given it doesn't conflict too much. But FF in March, SGDQ atm late June-ish, sounds like August is a good bet (and someone (Japan?) needs to organise something in October 13, so there's no big empty marathonless space in the calender Wink ).

Personally, I would have left this thread closed until after AGDQ <-- thought I'ld point that out Wink
Smörgåsbord
NesDB.se (Nintendo community in Sweden) I think me, Wery, Dxtr and Frezy got this one covered!

That's how we got Airrider to come play Battle Kid! Smiley I tried getting the word out on Flashback, but do we really want 4000 Swedish in the chat, like Sig got? Wink
Edit history:
WERY: 2012-10-05 06:11:55 pm
The Duce
The more views, the merrier Smiley

We had around 700 views this year and I think we can break that record on the next ESA by promoting the event on more sites. I am a member of them all in the list but I think it would look more serious, if the crew behind the ESA started the threads. Then I can comment in them threads about my participation etc
Speed is all that matters.
As for the date.
Considering that the FF marathon is in march, approximately 2 months after AGDQ and 3.5 months before SGDQ according to the dates floating around in this topic, I'd say the choice that we have is either putting it in between the FF marathon and SGDQ, talking early/mid May, or late Aug/Ealy Sep. Of course, anything later than early Sep would technically work as well but the question is if it's a good idea.
I personally wouldn't suggest early Aug again, simply because of the reason that it's only roughly one month separated from SGDQ that way and, IMO, that would be a bit too close.

As for the location.
I have no objection to having it in Skovde again, the venue and everything was very nice and cheap as well.
So unless we find something cheaper/better I would say Skovde is the way to go, if we can rent the venue again that is.

As for promotion.
Since this seemed to be one of the "minor" issues last marathon I'd say having more promotion is better than none. The list WERY posted seems pretty good, however, to me it seems the list is lacking communities that are focused on newer games, and/or sony content, such as PSX, PS2, PS3, for example.
It's still very early so there's enough time left, but that's what stood out to me.
Quote from Svenne:
NesDB.se (Nintendo community in Sweden) I think me, Wery, Dxtr and Frezy got this one covered!

That's how we got Airrider to come play Battle Kid! Smiley I tried getting the word out on Flashback, but do we really want 4000 Swedish in the chat, like Sig got? Wink

Chat has Slow mode function, we have mods, etc. I don't think having a lot of viewers is much of a problem, really.
Like WERY said, the more the merrier.

Quote from Alko:
You can definitely count me in *nyaa~*, as I've got a cosplay dept to pay =D Also Nev will be forced, if he doesn't come by himself Wink

I thought I already pointed out that I'll be there again? :x
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2012-10-06 07:36:58 am
Precursor
Mid-May I'd recommend against as that tends to be when the last exam period before the summer tends to start for universities here in Sweden. Early September is when school usually starts up here in Sweden, which however is better than Mid/late May.

In the end it kind of depends on when SGDQ is actually going to happen. If any of the SGDQ people (and when I say that I kind of mean Mike and Essentia) read this, is the aforementioned late June/early July date still what's on the table for that?
The Speedrunning Teacher
Quote from KennyMan666:
In the end it kind of depends on when SGDQ is actually going to happen. If any of the SGDQ people (and when I say that I kind of mean Mike and Essentia) read this, is the aforementioned late June/early July date still what's on the table for that?

Honestly, I wouldn't expect Mike to be thinking about SGDQ at this time, considering that he's still working on AGDQ. Give him until after AGDQ before expecting an answer.
Precursor
Yeah, I don't really expect it either. Ah well, we have time, this is more like a preliminary planning thread than a primary planning thread, as there's not really a lot of us to plan for the marathon proper right now.
The Duce
Quote from Neviutz:
As for promotion.
Since this seemed to be one of the "minor" issues last marathon I'd say having more promotion is better than none. The list WERY posted seems pretty good, however, to me it seems the list is lacking communities that are focused on newer games, and/or sony content, such as PSX, PS2, PS3, for example.
It's still very early so there's enough time left, but that's what stood out to me.
Like WERY said, the more the merrier

That is why it was good to post the list early, so that it can be completed with other sites that focuses on systems that are not coverd by my list. Some of the sites have some focus on newer systems but then like I said, the more the merrier, even when it comes to communities. The list can be completed and there should be a link here on SDA in a separated promotion-thread were all the sites have one link each to the promotion thread. Then all members here who are a member of those other sites, easily can go there and comment the threads. That is the second most important step of the promotion, once the crew made step one and posted a thread, in those other communities
I'd love to come next year so sign me up already.

I really liked the venue and I'd vote for having it there again. I don't know anything about SGDQ moving to Europe but I do know that if we're going to expand on this then we're going to have to think some extra about living space. The fridge was pretty full and almost all sleepable spots (at least in the designated spots) were taken. Perhaps Crippe or Frezy could check with the ones owning the locale on how to solve the problems of having anywhere from 20 to idk perhaps upwards of 50 visitors.

That said, it's a good place to host it simply because we know it works and we know it's good. We know we have the capability to bring the necessary resources for good streaming there and internet, televisions, consoles etc. are plentiful.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from Neviutz:
I thought I already pointed out that I'll be there again? :x

Yabbut I'm making sure Wink

Quote from Neviutz:
I personally wouldn't suggest early Aug again, simply because of the reason that it's only roughly one month separated from SGDQ that way and, IMO, that would be a bit too close.

Erm, I sorta disagree with the second half of August being called 'early' xD And I know it was, because the 15th is a public holiday in Bavaria, and I arrived that day Wink

Quote from Zyre:
Honestly, I wouldn't expect Mike to be thinking about SGDQ at this time, considering that he's still working on AGDQ. Give him until after AGDQ before expecting an answer.

I haven't said 'this' in this post yet. So THIS exactly Wink
Smörgåsbord
Hehe, atleast I know one donation incentives I will suggest, letting Arctic, Arva and Pro_JN record a CD with videogame music, would be awesome! Wink
Hockey enthusiast
When I was brainstorming with Svenne we came up with an interesting idea. Trying to organize ESA together together with the local computer-club/LAN-association. They host LAN-parties with 100-150-200 participants. And having the opportunity to move the streaming area onto one of the big stages, we could use a projector and show everything live (not only streaming).

This is the kind of event that could generate alot of hype in the local (and potentially national media).

I think having a crowd like that cheering and chanting to the speedrunners would have a huge positive impact on the stream aswell... Something to think about and discuss?
First though is - that sounds friggin awesome!

Then - that'd be hella scary to try and control and plan out for...

You could always ask the LAN-association first and see if they even would want anything to do with it.